Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins' what ifs. . .

kfrankie

On 7/9/2019 at 3:39 PM, Riggo-toni said:

What if Aikman's Hail Mary in 91 fell incomplete, and the Skins win that game. Gibbs doesn't rest the starters in game 16, and we go undefeated. Given that we set the record for point differential in the playoffs, nobody other than Peter King disputes the 91 Skins as the greatest team of the SB era.

I often think about the 1991 season and, specifically, that Dallas game. There were bigger back-breakers than the Hail Mary actually. I think the first TD Dallas scored came on a 3rd-and-20 draw play. Any tackle short of the first down would have resulted in a 7-3 lead rather than a tie game (remember that game started with a Mayhew pick-6 to put us up 7-0). The Harper TD was awful too, of course. But, in many ways the score should have been 7-3 or 7-6 at halftime (both TDs were in fringe FG range so I won't assume they get no points). Having said that though, the second half was dominated by Dallas too. Rypien was awful and we couldn't run the ball. We only pulled within 3 very late on a garbage TD. 

Sadly, my 1991 what-if is more of a negative or something where we got a little fortunate. The NFC in 1991 had basically dried up...Dallas wasn't back yet and the Giants were rebuilding. The Eagles were poised to be a TOUGH out until Randall got hurt in the opener (I think they still finished with a winning record due to their D). Some other traditionally great teams were having weird years: Bears were decent but couldn't score, 49ers finished third, and I already mentioned the Giants. Probably the most dangerous potential playoff opponents (Dallas and New Orleans) were knocked out by Atlanta and Detroit. I don't take much away from our regular season, but I think we had a historically easy path to the Super Bowl getting two run-and-shoot, gimmicky teams with below-average defenses outside at home. Then again, we beat what I consider the best of the Bills teams of that era in the Super Bowl, so that offsets things a lot. 

On 7/10/2019 at 4:14 PM, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I often think about the 1991 season and, specifically, that Dallas game. There were bigger back-breakers than the Hail Mary actually. I think the first TD Dallas scored came on a 3rd-and-20 draw play. Any tackle short of the first down would have resulted in a 7-3 lead rather than a tie game (remember that game started with a Mayhew pick-6 to put us up 7-0). The Harper TD was awful too, of course. But, in many ways the score should have been 7-3 or 7-6 at halftime (both TDs were in fringe FG range so I won't assume they get no points). Having said that though, the second half was dominated by Dallas too. Rypien was awful and we couldn't run the ball. We only pulled within 3 very late on a garbage TD. 

How often have you seen the team that was dominant still end on the losing side and sometimes by multiple scores?  Last year in the Tampa game, we would have lost almost as badly as we had the previous week if Tampa did not try so hard to lose (missed 3 chip shot FGs and all but one of those TOs was primarily on Tampa).

What if the refs had made the right call in the Houston game?

What if we had signed Kaepernick and not been why the NFL folded in that case?

18 hours ago, Darth Tater said:

How often have you seen the team that was dominant still end on the losing side and sometimes by multiple scores?  Last year in the Tampa game, we would have lost almost as badly as we had the previous week if Tampa did not try so hard to lose (missed 3 chip shot FGs and all but one of those TOs was primarily on Tampa).

What if the refs had made the right call in the Houston game?

What if we had signed Kaepernick and not been why the NFL folded in that case?

No I understand...I'm not saying we had no shot to win that game. Just that it was a 10-point deficit until Ricky Sanders caught a garbage TD inside of the two-minute warning. That game wasn't really "one play away" like we lost on a last-second Hail Mary or something. 

On 7/9/2019 at 12:04 PM, hatchetwound said:

What if in 2005 we took the correct Rogers with the #9 pick?

If we did that, instead of trading up for J.C., we would have kept 2005 #76, 2006 #22 and #119.  With those picks, we could have then drafted the following:
2005 #76 - Evan Mathis
2006 #22 - DeAngelo Williams
2006 #119 - Brandon Marshall

And if that all happens, would we still have Gibbs and avoided Zorn all together?

No, Gibbs retired due to his grandson having leukemia and to spend time with him and family.

16 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

This is more of a Bears what-if, but the Redskins play a large role!

What if the Redskins didn't beat the Bears in the post-season in 1986 and 1987? Would we be potentially talking about a 3-peat Chicago championship team? 

I don't think the Bears would've beaten the Giants in 1986.

Now 1987, if the Bears had beaten us, then the Vikings in the playoffs (assuming Minn still beats SF), a Chicago-Denver SB would've been interesting. I just don't picture the Bears blowing out the Broncos like the Giants, Skins, and 49ers did.

I think losing at home to the Bears in 1984 remains one of the tougher losses personally as a Skins fan.  After going to back-to-back SBs, the realization that we weren't going to a third straight after that game left me a bit empty. 

What if the snap to Johnson in 1999 against the Bucks was on the money and we made the kick to win the playoff game?  Do we beat the Rams to go to the SB?

What if rock hands Rogers doesn't drop that easy INT pick 6  do we beat Seattle and go on to win it all with Gibbs for his 4th SB?

What if we don't fumble the ball against the 49s in 1992.  We were driving and most likely win that playoff game and face Dallas.  Do we beat them?  They were the eventual SB champions.

On 7/13/2019 at 6:40 AM, hail2skins said:

I don't think the Bears would've beaten the Giants in 1986.

Now 1987, if the Bears had beaten us, then the Vikings in the playoffs (assuming Minn still beats SF), a Chicago-Denver SB would've been interesting. I just don't picture the Bears blowing out the Broncos like the Giants, Skins, and 49ers did.

I think losing at home to the Bears in 1984 remains one of the tougher losses personally as a Skins fan.  After going to back-to-back SBs, the realization that we weren't going to a third straight after that game left me a bit empty. 

I'm not sure anyone was beating the Giants in 1986 either...but it would have been an interesting match up to have the defending champs playing the Giants for a trip to the Super Bowl, rather than the team New York had already beaten twice and whose number they believed they had. Two 14-2 teams playing in New York certainly would have tested that team more and might have overwhelmed them...

10 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I'm not sure anyone was beating the Giants in 1986 either...but it would have been an interesting match up to have the defending champs playing the Giants for a trip to the Super Bowl, rather than the team New York had already beaten twice and whose number they believed they had. Two 14-2 teams playing in New York certainly would have tested that team more and might have overwhelmed them...

I was in college in PA in the mid-80s and had kind of lost track of the Skins. I did get to go to the late-season Giants game (my first ever regular season game at RFK) and watched the WC win over the Rams on TV, but wasn't very confident that the Skins were going to advance further. Soon after the WC game I went on a winter break overseas school trip, and at some point one of my classmates called home and got the scores of the divisional round games. When he mentioned that the Redskins had beaten the Bears, I was giddy...….until he next mentioned the score of the Giants-49ers game (49-3) 😆

What if Alex didn't throw that pick 6 against the texans?...would he have still got injured?.. most likely so but you never know.

What if the skins weren't cursed?

You know damn right they are!!

It's one thing to end your season possibly your career the way Smith did...but to do it on the exact same day the exact same way that happened to another Redskins qb sum odd years ago is a gosh darn curse if I've seen one.

What if Sean Taylor hadn't passed?

I've asked my self that often since...

Was he just having a fluke season his best season than would had just been average after? I believe he had changed from ss to fs before having his best season..I could be wrong. 

Would he have gotten only better and end up having a career that put him as the best safety ever?.Personally I believe he was heading down that path before what happened.. outside of a few quarterbacks there was nobody in the game that played with as much passion as Sean Taylor did!..he was the complete package..ronnie lott, Steve . Att water,rod Woodson, all combined...really bummed about what could have been...R.I.P 21

Finally....What if Daniel Snyder(he he he hates being called Daniel)wouldn't have bought the team?..This is a question for those who known more about the situation...was there any one else in the runnings to buy the team? 

My biggest what if is definitely what if snyder didn't buy the team..whould we be in the same boat?..I doubt it..snyder has got to be the...****tiest?...nfl owner in the league..I mean if there making fun of ya on unbreakable Kimmy Schmitt than ya it's bad! 

4 hours ago, bakedtater1 said:

Finally....What if Daniel Snyder(he he he hates being called Daniel)wouldn't have bought the team?..This is a question for those who known more about the situation...was there any one else in the runnings to buy the team? 

Yes, Howard Milstein.  But if I remember right, the league didn't like his financial position so they rejected his bid.

On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 11:25 AM, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

No, Gibbs retired due to his grandson having leukemia and to spend time with him and family.

I didn't know that.  That's terrible :( 

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 7:37 AM, bakedtater1 said:

What if Sean Taylor hadn't passed?

I've asked my self that often since...

Was he just having a fluke season his best season than would had just been average after? I believe he had changed from ss to fs before having his best season..I could be wrong. 

Would he have gotten only better and end up having a career that put him as the best safety ever?.Personally I believe he was heading down that path before what happened.. outside of a few quarterbacks there was nobody in the game that played with as much passion as Sean Taylor did!..he was the complete package..ronnie lott, Steve . Att water,rod Woodson, all combined...really bummed about what could have been...R.I.P 21

This one gets me. :( 

Sean was finally turning a corner in his personal life and finally starting to look like a first team all pro safety, only to be taken too soon RIP SEAN HTTR

On 7/15/2019 at 1:53 PM, DCSaints_fan said:

Yes, Howard Milstein.  But if I remember right, the league didn't like his financial position so they rejected his bid.

I was probably too young to know this back then.  It does not seem like he would have been better based on articles I am now reading.  Hindsight of course is what it is but he planned to fire Casserly and bring in Cerrato... seems to be what ultimately happened.  Maybe he would have otherwise had more patience.  How was he as the Islanders owner?  https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/bs-xpm-1999-04-08-9904080202-story.html

Archived