Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Good Night. Malaysian Three-Seven-Zero

PleaseBlitz

12 minutes ago, bearrock said:

The communications were severed intentionally right? (Or at least that's the suspicion).  I guess another question I have is that why is how is that even an option?

We’d have to find an engineer to answer that. 

I wouldn’t assume it’s easy. Maybe that sort of thing is an oversight but I wouldn’t think so. It may be because they need to be able to shut certain things down as part of an emergency (like fire or something)

13 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

Does it matter? 

And even then I think unintentional failures are more worrying.

I mean, it matters in the sense that it's a scary thought that one pilot can kill several hundred people if they simply decide they want to.  Same as it matters that any asshole can go buy an AR and kill a building full of people and we can't seem to put simple measures in place to prevent that either.  

• Like 1

Well my coworker who was a pilot says a pilot can't depressurize a cabin in order to kill the passengers (There are limits to how much he can pressurize and depressurize), unless he punched a hole in the fuselage (But then he couldn't re-pressurize).  More likely scenario is he killed the copilot in the ****pit and the passengers and rest of flight crew were unaware they were flying off in the wrong direction.

(by the way ****pit???? really???? censor filters need adjusting).

Edited by nonniey

7 hours ago, No Excuses said:

We've had more Amtrak trains derailing than planes crashing in the US lately. 😶

They might be statistically much safer, but the terror factor of impending doom and almost zero chance you are going to survive a bad crash may be why some people would prefer trains or even cars.

Perhaps there should be a rule of at least two people in the ****pit at all times.  If the pilot or copilot needs to leave the ****pit, then a stewardess has to at least be in the ****pit until they return.   This would at least make it very hard to lock out the pilot/copilot. 

56 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

They might be statistically much safer, but the terror factor of impending doom and almost zero chance you are going to survive a bad crash may be why some people would prefer trains or even cars.

I agree.  My imagination has no problem imagining how it would happen.  The plane shudders and tilts towards eventual meeting with the ground... but takes entirely too long to get there.  Passengers are left with an unreasonable amount of time to contemplate death before meeting it.  That time is just prolonged misery, that’s the part that makes it especially horrible.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

17 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Frankly, one of my worst fears is a deep ocean crash, because even if you strike gold and survive impact, your reward is likely being eaten by a shark, or slowly dying if hunger and thirst on a flotation device.

Not many worse ways to go in this world 

Hell, if you survive the initial impact, chances are you might drown just trying to get out of the wreckage.  

I know stats show you are more likely to die in a car wreck, but I think the mental block there is that in a car, with your hand on the wheel you always think in your head you have the power to change an outcome, where as in a plane, once you are past the point of no return, there is little to do but make peace with what is about to happen.   

If anyone wants to terrorize themselves, you can go on youtube and listen to recovered blackbox recordings from plane crashes. 

Edited by NoCalMike
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Interesting article. But it’s mostly speculation...

Keep in mind this is just someone’s opinion and not the findings of any investigative body, In fact, so far most of the official investigations have found that the captains state of mind was the exact opposite of what was portrayed in this article.  Also while it is true that the captain had a simulation of flight that ended in the south india ocean, the FBI studied the track and the jist of their findings was that the track was different.  Also, the plane turned toward planned emergency landing sites (and towards radar and military bases that (had there been competent people making those stations) could have easily tracked and intercepted a suspected hijacked plane.  If the goal was to get lost in a suicide spiral going right over the south china sea where their is no radar would be more viable.

Counterpoints:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-atlantics-william-langewiesche-dusts-off-discredited-conspiracy-theory-to-accuse-mh370-pilot-of-hijacking

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84

13 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Hell, if you survive the initial impact, chances are you might drown just trying to get out of the wreckage.  

I know stats show you are more likely to die in a car wreck, but I think the mental block there is that in a car, with your hand on the wheel you always think in your head you have the power to change an outcome, where as in a plane, once you are past the point of no return, there is little to do but make peace with what is about to happen.   

If anyone wants to terrorize themselves, you can go on youtube and listen to recovered blackbox recordings from plane crashes. 

http://planecrashinfo.com/lastwords.htm

VASP flight 168 is particularly brief

• 8 months later...

Six years on, families demand new search for missing Malaysia Airlines plane

PUTRAJAYA (Reuters) - Six years since Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 vanished from radars, relatives of the 239 people who were on board are calling on authorities to revive efforts to find the missing plane.

The fate of flight MH370 became one of the world’s greatest aviation mysteries when it disappeared en route from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing on March 8, 2014. Repeated searches for the aircraft were called off in 2018.

Holding star-shaped signs reading “Never give up”, “Waiting”, and “Resume the search”, the relatives of those who were on the flight marked the sixth anniversary of their disappearance by making a fresh appeal for answers.

“The pain is still the same, the fact that the plane is still missing is still the same, and the fact that we don’t know what happened to the plane is still the same, “ said Grace Nathan, a lawyer whose mother was on the flight, during the event in Malaysia’s administrative capital, Putrajaya.

“There are more questions than there are answers and that shouldn’t be the case after six years,” she told reporters after the event.

A piece of aircraft debris, believed to be from the missing plane, was on display at the gathering.

Malaysia, China and Australia ended a two-year, A$200 million ($132.90 million) underwater search in the southern Indian Ocean in January 2017 after finding no trace of the plane.

In 2018, Malaysia contracted U.S. firm Ocean Infinity to resume the search on a “no-cure, no-fee”-basis, meaning it would pay the firm up to $70 million if it found the plane. But the 138-day search was also fruitless.

Click on the link for the full article

• 1 year later...

Mystery of flight MH370: New theory leads to 'horrifying' conclusion

A noted aviation expert has said he has found the likely location of the doomed aeroplane MH370.

If he's right it would solve the eight-year-old mystery of the whereabouts of the aircraft and its 239 passengers and crew, all of whom are presumed to have perished.

The findings have also reinforced a "horrifying" theory — said the senior officer in charge of the initial search — of the missing plane's final hours.

But the authorities are yet to be persuaded to tackle a new search mission.

Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 disappeared on March 8, 2014, several hours after leaving Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia's capital, bound for Beijing, China.

British aerospace engineer Richard Godfrey has conducted a painstaking examination of the anomalies in radio signals from that fateful night. He has said that's enabled him to zero in on a new crash zone.

"In my view, there's no reason why we shouldn't be planning for a new search," Godfrey told Australia's Channel 9 on Sunday.

The breakthrough discovery claim came after an analysis using Weak Signal Propagation Reporter (WSPR) technology – this is effectively an invisible radio wave similar to trip-wires that record anything disturbing or passing through the waves.

He has said he can narrow a search area down to just 300sq km, which could be looked at in just a few weeks. That includes some areas already searched and others that were never looked at during the initial rescue effort.

"With this very difficult terrain it is possible to miss wreckage," he said.

"When you're going through 120,000 square kilometres you get one chance, one pass of each point. With 300 square kilometres, you can have several passes and from different angles, so it's possible."

Godfrey told 60 Minutes that his research has uncovered another aspect of the flight and its captain Zaharie Ahmad Shah.

Far from heading in a straight line into the Indian Ocean, Godfrey has claimed MH370 did a number of 360-degree turns over the sea – almost like holding patterns before an aircraft lands at a busy airport. That would mean the "ghost flight" theory – that the plane was on autopilot and the passengers and crew were incapacitated – may not be accurate.

"This is strange to me. When you're in the remotest part of the Indian Ocean trying to lose an aircraft why would you enter a holding pattern for 20 minutes?

"(The captain) may have been communicating with the Malaysian government, he may have been checking whether he was being followed, he may have simply wanted time to make up his mind," said Godfrey.

If correct, the curious course of the Boeing 777 over the Indian Ocean gives credence to the theory that the captain deliberately flew the plane into oblivion.

• 1 year later...

MH370: Debris From Missing Boeing 777-200ER Confirmed In New Report

Debris discovered on Antsiraka Beach, Madagascar, in 2019 has been independently confirmed to be from the long-missing Malaysia Airlines Boeing 777-200ER that went missing on March 8, 2014 while flying as MH370. The part, originally thought to be marine debris, was part of the aircraft’s nose wheel door, according to aerospace engineer Richard Godfrey.

The disappearance of Flight MH370 remains shrouded in mystery, even nearly a decade after the fact. Malaysia Airlines’ long-missing 777, registered as 9M-MRO, took off from the airline’s hub at Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KUL) at 00:42 local time en route to Beijing Capital International Airport (PEK). Though it was expected to arrive in Beijing at 06:30, its final voice contact with air traffic control occurred only 37 minutes after its departure, at 01:19.

The newly confirmed debris was originally discovered by Blaine Gibson, a wreck hunter who was searching in Madagascar in 2019. Similar debris was also discovered at the same location on June 12, 2016, and was confirmed much sooner to be the starboard side nose wheel forward door from 9M-MRO.

• 4 months later...