Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

!!!!0mgz!!!! Trent Williams finally showed up

Owls0325

Trent has awesome leverage.  He just had his perspective about life changed by a scary medical situation.  His leverage is he can just retire and live on his many many many millions, which is way more common for stars these days.  And the other half of that leverage is he knows if he did the Redskins would be sunk.  He could also just retire for a year, watch Gruden and Allen both be fired, and unretire.

1 hour ago, Peregrine said:

Trent has awesome leverage.  He just had his perspective about life changed by a scary medical situation.  His leverage is he can just retire and live on his many many many millions, which is way more common for stars these days.  And the other half of that leverage is he knows if he did the Redskins would be sunk.  He could also just retire for a year, watch Gruden and Allen both be fired, and unretire.

If Trent didn't need to worry about the money he'd just retire now. He obviously cares plenty about getting more money, so that alone reduces his leverage. With his current contract situation he basically doesn't get paid if he doesn't play. If he wants a ton of new money the Skins can just say no and tell him to stay home and get zip if he refuses to suit up. Yes it will hurt the team but it's not like we were going to be competitive anyway this season, and we also don't have to start Haskins. Draft Trent's replacement next year with a likely high 1st round pick. 

Retiring and then immediately coming back would be a ridiculously transparent move. The team could probably sue him, and could probably win. 

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

If Trent didn't need to worry about the money he'd just retire now. He obviously cares plenty about getting more money, so that alone reduces his leverage. With his current contract situation he basically doesn't get paid if he doesn't play. If he wants a ton of new money the Skins can just say no and tell him to stay home and get zip if he refuses to suit up. Yes it will hurt the team but it's not like we were going to be competitive anyway this season, and we also don't have to start Haskins. Draft Trent's replacement next year with a likely high 1st round pick. 

Retiring and then immediately coming back would be a ridiculously transparent move. The team could probably sue him, and could probably win. 

Even if he retires the Redskins own his rights until his contract is up unless they agree to release him. So the Redskins still have his rights for 2 yrs unless they voluntarily release him. 

On 6/18/2019 at 2:28 PM, Skinsinparadise said:

The more I listen to narratives about this -- the more it seems like money and not the medical staff stuff is primarily driving this.  but it sounds like what makes it tough for the beat guys to know for sure is they are only getting the team's side of events and Trent and his agent aren't talking on or off the record about it right now.

As some have said it could end up being a simple game of chicken where Trent either shows up to play or he doesn't to honor his current contract -- most are guessing he would honor his contract considering there is a lot of money at stake. 

I see it just the exact opposite way. If it was a money thing then why not just state that as most every other athlete has done?  Why take this route if there was nothing to it?

I think if it were about a medical issue than it likely should remain private. Frankly, if he felt it were medical negligence it should be handled in a separate legal forum. 

My opinion, he is griping about his contract, the crappy organization he wasted his career with and is using the medical angle as a scapegoat. 

On 6/22/2019 at 8:42 AM, Bonez3 said:

I think if it were about a medical issue than it likely should remain private. Frankly, if he felt it were medical negligence it should be handled in a separate legal forum. 

In all honesty it has remained private. Only fan and reporter speculation. I have heard nothing from TW or his agent, and only heard Bruce say he knows what the problem is. Nothing else. TW missed off-season workouts that he wasnt going to be at anyways due to injury. So not seeing where this is not being kept private.

1 hour ago, Xameil said:

In all honesty it has remained private. Only fan and reporter speculation. I have heard nothing from TW or his agent, and only heard Bruce say he knows what the problem is. Nothing else. TW missed off-season workouts that he wasnt going to be at anyways due to injury. So not seeing where this is not being kept private.

I think it's obvious his demands about being released were linked to his frustration about the medical situation. Regardless of the actual details, using the situation as leverage is poor form. That was my point. 

2 minutes ago, Bonez3 said:

I think it's obvious his demands about being released were linked to his frustration about the medical situation. Regardless of the actual details, using the situation as leverage is poor form. That was my point. 

Again...only reports I hear about him demanding release was from a reporter.

Adrian Peterson, arguably his best friend on the team has said that was a surprise to him. So I dont really buy any of this until I hear it from TW.

2 minutes ago, Xameil said:

Adrian Peterson, arguably his best friend on the team has said that was a surprise to him. So I dont really buy any of this until I hear it from TW.

Yea- A lot of smoke though.

But, if it manifests than I'll hold that view. We'll have to wait and see. I want him suited up for Philly week 1 no doubt. But when the face of the franchise has a story like this leaked, erroneous or otherwise, just lousy. 

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Why?  When exactly is he supposed to use leverage? 

When or what?

When - the answer is never IMO. I think if you have concerns around medical negligence you turn it over to your legal team and they can advise you. If they advise you to remove yourself from your employment, than do so and let them comment.

What to use as leverage would be performance metrics. If he's due for a raise, ok, put it on the table. 

If your upset about the handling of your medical care, I don't think 'I'm leaving this place' is the most professional move. 

2 minutes ago, Bonez3 said:

When or what?

When - the answer is never IMO. I think if you have concerns around medical negligence you turn it over to your legal team and they can advise you. If they advise you to remove yourself from your employment, than do so and let them comment.

What to use as leverage would be performance metrics. If he's due for a raise, ok, put it on the table. 

If your upset about the handling of your medical care, I don't think 'I'm leaving this place' is the most professional move. 

It's a business tactic, and a smart one.  Supply and demand.  When the solar eclipse happened, two months beforehand those glasses were two bucks a piece.  The day before?  Two hundred.  That's how business works.

1 minute ago, Bonez3 said:

When or what?

We'll just have to agree to disagree.  I think you should use whatever leverage in whatever capacity you have whenever you have it, because the team will always do the same to you.

1 hour ago, volsmet said:

Following OTA’s, Houston’s interest in Trent has increased.

Do they have better medical staff though??

just kidding, what's the deal here then, haven't taken much notice on this recently, are the Texans reportedly interested?

57 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Do they have better medical staff though??

just kidding, what's the deal here then, haven't taken much notice on this recently, are the Texans reportedly interested?

They’ve been trying to trade for Trent & other OTs for a few years now. My boy Tytus Howard & fellow rookie Max Scharping failed to impress in OTA’s — they fired the GM who made those picks 45 days after he made them.

If we are talking leverage then who has more? Do the Skins need Trent more or does Trent need the Skins more? 

The response can be debated, but my thoughts are who else would start at tackle? Moses will be on one side, but who else can play after that? Factor on that Moses, based on his history, will be playing through injuries and also miss a bit of time this season who will be protecting the edges? Just imagine if we are forced to start looking at Flowers as a swing tackle because we are just that short there? Technically he's got the most experience (granted it's all horrible). 

For Trent I have no idea how his financial situation looks. If he's in need of cash then the Skins hold a lot of power. Sadly this is the situation I find myself rooting for. If he's saved well and is legitimately upset over the medical side he doesn't need football, let alone the Redskins. That would have a Barry Sanders type feel to it, which I think is the absolute worst outcome. 

Anyway, time will tell. It's the dead time in the NFL so hopefully cooler heads prevail. 

1 hour ago, volsmet said:

They’ve been trying to trade for Trent & other OTs for a few years now. My boy Tytus Howard & fellow rookie Max Scharping failed to impress in OTA’s — they fired the GM who made those picks 45 days after he made them.

Interesting take. Kalil is all but knackered but the have him on a one year deal I guess.

Include Zach Cunningham in a trade and I might give it some thought.

2 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Interesting take. Kalil is all but knackered but the have him on a one year deal I guess.

Include Zach Cunningham in a trade and I might give it some thought.

Just what a coach in Houston has expressed, could be empty chatter, but ... that’s unlikely.

9 hours ago, Xameil said:

This is big reason I haven't commented in this thread yet.  I'm waiting to see if he really jus doesnt come back or says he wont on the record.  I want him to stay, but only if he wants to.

5 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Can Sherff play left tackle? Or tackle at all? If the answer to this is yes then I see what we can get for Trent....

We drafted him to play tackle & had to move him off of rt in about 3 days.

6 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Can Sherff play left tackle? Or tackle at all? If the answer to this is yes then I see what we can get for Trent....

No. He's an elite guard, and will get paid like one. No need to mess with that, Haskins will need an interior to step up into. Moving him to OT just gives us a probably decent, but flawed tackle and a new hole at OG. I'd rather he remain elite at his position and find OT help elsewhere. If Haskins is as smart and processes things as quickly as I suspect he will once he's caught up on the scheme, he'll help mitigate some of that edge pressure himself. He's got that ability to sense pressure coming at his back. 

Archived