Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

!!!!0mgz!!!! Trent Williams finally showed up

Owls0325

40 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

information changes -- context changes.  People can change their mind from one day to the next. 

I agree with your factors.  All of these can be a factor, too:

A.  They don't have as much leverage now then they did earlier in the season or maybe they have more as for trade value?    Depends if the pool of suitors grew or shrunk

B.  They might have put off some suitors who moved on

C.  This whole thing might feel different now at 1-7 then it did before the season when they thought they were close

D.  Their feeling of optimism about Trent returning might have changed over time.

Absolutely, a lot of variables, which are constantly changing.

I've said all along since Trent wanted out they should be shopping him, and pounce when a favorable deal is offered.  That package from Houston is an unbelievable haul, enough to turn franchises around.  The Redskins dropped the ball, out of what I believe to be self-preservation by individuals on the hot seat who had no interest in a long term vision.

That being said:

A. Leverage is more than number of suitors, because I feel even though suitors may have shrunk, one particular suitor may be more desparate.  Houston filled their need, and the pats may feel they can win without him now that they are steamrolling opponents and don't want to offer anything significant.  However, Cleveland had a lot of hype, is struggling, and have strong personalities where it could get ugly quick.  They also have benched their LT recently, and might feel that is the missing piece.  All it takes is one team to make a deal, so maybe the browns are desparate enough.  We shall see.

B.  No doubt Bruce probably put off suitors when they called asking about his availability.  His reputation as a grease ball is well-known, so I would I would expect him to handle the situation very arrogantly.

C.  Their current state and current record do hurt their leverage, because now teams expect them to trade Trent, where before the season the Redskins could have convinced teams that they really did believe they are close to a playoff team, obviously now that's a hard sell to make to say the least.

D.  I agree, they must have been convinced that Trent would have come back a while ago.  But it is possible Bruce is just making Trent rot out of spite. We will probably never know the thinking of the inner circle.

A lot of variables involved.

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am on board with Schefty.....I would be surprised if anything comes of this.  I think our price is too high and he may even sit for another year or get traded during the draft.

OJ Howard for Trent straight up wouldn't make me upset.  But I would be shocked if we got anything substantial.

23 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

Why would anyone offer more in the offseason? It makes zero sense.

*Lose 1/2 of a season of Silverback when you need an OT for your playoff run.

*Trade assets for Silverback when you have FA OT's available and a draft pretty deep in OT as well?

In what world do we get more in March then in August/September/October? It makes no sense. Teams make panic trades in season, rarely out of season (other than the idiot redskins). In the offseason teams will have plenty of options to address OT, and little consequence to taking their time on using FA money or draft picks to address the need during offseason strategizing. In season there's little time and few if any options. 

Seems kind of simple to me: suppy and demand 101. 

Trent's better and younger than the top free agent tackles, plus every team can name a franchise and transition player next year and draft picks bust

8 minutes ago, desertbeagle85 said:

Okay that still doesn't want me to give him up for a 2nd when the Texans gave up two 1st rd picks for Tunsil. 

If you wanted 2 1st and some more, you'd have to do it prior to the beginning of the season.

Now, I don't see much teams paying that kind of stuff for just 8 games.

Browns? They stand at 2-5 and would require more than Trent to right their ship and reach the playoff. So they are basically trading for next year now. Don't expect them to trade a first now.

8 minutes ago, MartinC said:

My 2 cents is we will not get offered what we think value is for Trent (and could possibly have got if we had made a move 4 or 5 weeks ago when it was clear he would not report). So a trade does not happen.

I can see that.  My bet is they had a #1 on the table back before the season and right at the start of it.   And I can see that offer not being on the table now.   But hopefully they get lucky. 

12 minutes ago, volsmet said:

The Kuomintang could teach Adam a thing or two about conviction. 

He's got every scenario covered with that tweet.  Though I do trust him over the NFL Network guys.  Hopefully he's wrong. 

30 minutes ago, nonniey said:

Why not just ask what would everyone think if we had 10 extra 1sts and 10 extra 2s and for all Extremeskins poster -free tickets and travel to every Redskins game for the next 20 years?

In other words asking us to speculate over pure fantasy. 

Sorry

10 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I can see that.  My bet is they had a #1 on the table back before the season and right at the start of it.   And I can see that offer not being on the table now.   But hopefully they get lucky. 

He's got every scenario covered with that tweet.  Though I do trust him over the NFL Network guys.  Hopefully he's wrong. 

well if Trent helps the team they'd be hoping that he made their first get up to 20 or higher, but supposedly after giving up their first last year for OBJ they didn't want to lose another one

30 minutes ago, MartinC said:

My 2 cents is we will not get offered what we think value is for Trent (and could possibly have got if we had made a move 4 or 5 weeks ago when it was clear he would not report). So a trade does not happen.

Why would anyone do it now?  I agree that no trade will happen. I wouldn't offer the skins anything higher than a 3rd rounder.

26 minutes ago, carex said:

well if Trent helps the team they'd be hoping that he made their first get up to 20 or higher, but supposedly after giving up their first last year for OBJ they didn't want to lose another one

To that point if I am Cleveland I am less interested in trading him now at the beginning of the season.  It doesn't sound crazy from their side of things to offer their first back then when the perception was likely that it was a late first.  But now its looking like a high first.  So if I am the Browns, I am not offering a first.  I'd barter with my 2nd and another player. 

Archived