Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

!!!!0mgz!!!! Trent Williams finally showed up

Owls0325

I’m told Washington has begun the process of circling back with teams that had called to ascertain interest. The price? For right now, my understanding is that the Redskins are looking for a first-round pick. And it’s important to note there are still questions health-wise here that interested teams would want answered.

1 minute ago, Chris 44 said:

Hopefully Trents on board with any trade that comes down and doesn't balk at the deal / passes physical etc.

Its worth noting that any team trading something of real value, say a 2nd plus something or a first, would want to extend Williams as part pf the trade. Or at least have the parameters of an extension agreed with his agent prior to the trade. So Williams has a big say in where he gets traded here.

I heard one of the local beat guys (can't remember who) go against the grain several weeks ago on Sheehan's show and he said we weren't getting the offers everyone thinks we were getting.

I guess we won't know for several months what the truth is but hopefully we can get a 1st.

Multiple people familiar with the views of the Redskins’ front office said that a trade of Williams, a former Pro Bowl selection, could happen. One member of the organization said that such a deal is “always possible,” but also expressed surprise that speculation about a Williams trade resurfaced Monday. The league-owned NFL Network first reported that the Redskins were open to the possibility of trading Williams.

A person who has dealings with the Redskins’ front office said that the team is open to making “a blockbuster deal” involving Williams if an enticing trade offer comes along. But the person, speaking on the condition of anonymity because of the confidential nature of trade talks, expressed skepticism that any team will make an offer substantial enough for the Redskins to act.

“No one will do it,” the person predicted.

It was not clear what the Redskins would deem a suitable offer for Williams. The Cleveland Browns and New England Patriots have been among the teams linked to Williams in trade speculation this season. The Patriots are unbeaten, at 8-0, as they seek what would be a seventh Super Bowl title with Bill Belichick as their coach and Tom Brady as their quarterback. The Browns, with a record of 2-5, have been one of the NFL’s biggest disappointments, but apparently remain a potential buyer as the trade deadline approaches at 4 p.m. Eastern time Tuesday.

Before Monday, the prevalent view leaguewide was that the Redskins would consider trading Williams during the upcoming offseason but would not do so during the season, even with their record at 1-7 and Williams steadfastly refusing to play for Washington. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/10/28/redskins-now-open-idea-trading-trent-williams-asking-price-believed-be-high/

16 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I agree.  But we don't know what stories are true or not.   Other stories were they were already offered a first but that was long ago so those suitors (perhaps the Texans and Pats) no longer have that on the table.  Texans obviously got a LT now.

The thing I like is the narrative changed from them not being open for business to being open for business.   It also coincided with a story some beat guys had recently which is they thought Trent would return to now they get that he doesn't want to play there.  I guess will see. 

and this pov shows why waiting till the offseason with him never reporting would have made sense

5 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Its worth noting that any team trading something of real value, say a 2nd plus something or a first, would want to extend Williams as part pf the trade. Or at least have the parameters of an extension agreed with his agent prior to the trade. So Williams has a big say in where he gets traded here.

I dont know why that would be a factor? He is in his early thirties and with the franchise tag his next team would control him this year and for 2 more after that. Now him not showing up for his new team would be the biggest factor IMO.

3 minutes ago, Hooper said:

I don’t see how waiting until the last minute has helped at all. Puts teams in a rushed-state when it comes to checking out TW’s health and contract request. So they’ll just pass or lowball

Yeh I'm inclined to agree. I could see assurances over his health being an issue.

1 minute ago, carex said:

and this pov shows why waiting till the offseason with him never reporting would have made sense

Who in the world thinks he was/is never reporting by week 10 ?

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

By flipping the closed sign to open, 24  hours before the deadline, doesn’t that diminish the potential return?  There is only so much time to negotiate and weigh offers.  Seems silly.  

these guys presumably had an offer ready in the past, so you pull out the old paperwork.  And if it's a crappy offer now, it was a crappy offer then

15 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

Agreed.  However, this recent development is due to one of three reasons:

1. They told teams no this entire time, knowing they would make him available at the last minute to see if a team would overreact and overpay.  Could be a savvy approach (still not as good as being open for business all along and trading him to Houston as many were hoping for).

2.  They have no intention of trading him, just want to shut the fanbase up and act as if they tried.

3.  All the noise from the fanbase made them realize that maybe our team isn't close and trading him would be a good idea.

I have many adjectives for snyderallen, savvy is not one of them, so it's hard to convince me of scenario #1.  And scenario #2 and #3 is completely unacceptable and pathetic.  

That being said, I hope the noise from the fanbase has forced their hand into getting a decent return for Trent.  I'm not holding my breath.

Yeah a lot of things can be true.  As Finlay, Keim and others like to say if you track a team including the Redskins one thing can be true one day but be false the next where the narrative changes.  It makes sense.   information changes -- context changes.  People can change their mind from one day to the next. 

I agree with your factors.  All of these can be a factor, too:

A.  They don't have as much leverage now then they did earlier in the season or maybe they have more as for trade value?    Depends if the pool of suitors grew or shrunk

B.  They might have put off some suitors who moved on

C.  This whole thing might feel different now at 1-7 then it did before the season when they thought they were close

D.  Their feeling of optimism about Trent returning might have changed over time.

I posted this on the Bruce thread some days back -- Sheehan in a recent podcast said he heard that Dan-Bruce finally get that this isn't a playoff year after they lost to the Vikings.  They were holding out hope before that according to his source.  Finlay said something similar before the SF game saying they think they can beat SF and get the season back on track. 

3 minutes ago, ksun247 said:

They really should just take whatever is offered. 1st or 2nd doesn't really matter to me anymore. Allen botched this from the beginning. So any pick, I'm just about cool with. Just want the drama done and Allen fired after the season.

Agreed. Just replacing our missing 2nd for next years draft is a win.

Just now, DiscoBob said:

So Turns + Stills got Miami 1st, 1st, and 2nd?  Stills was probably only worth a 3rd, so Tunsil was 2x 1st +

Now the Skins are going to maybe get a 2nd?  Hey Bruce, I've got a bridge to sell you...

Stills was worth slightly more than Josh Norman is now. 

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I posted this on the Bruce thread some days back -- Sheehan in a recent podcast said he heard that Dan-Bruce finally get that this isn't a playoff year after they lost to the Vikings.  They were holding out hope before that according to his source.  Finlay said something similar before the SF game saying they think they can beat SF and get the season back on track. 

I’d be alarmed if they hadn’t already shown to be so clueless.  But to think these guys really thought, man this team is good, they just aren’t playing for Jay, we can still make a run at this...is just so pathetic and sad.  

Archived