Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

!!!!0mgz!!!! Trent Williams finally showed up

Owls0325

For those that want Clowney, how would that look on our cap? I'm guessing he'll only agree to a trade if he's getting an extension. If he's unwilling to ride out the franchise tag in Houston he probably wouldn't do it for another team. Top tier edge rushers are not cheap. We have the Khalil Mack, Demarcus Lawrence, Frank Clark and to a lesser extent, Trey Flowers and Dee Ford contracts that recently happened to compare. We can expect to give over $60M in guarantees with an annual average compensation right around $20M-$23M/season. 

I know we'd get a little over $9M in cap space for shipping off Trent and have just over $11M available, but can we even afford to give Clowney that type of deal without forcing cuts (Norman/Reed) or impacting future extensions (Scherff)?

14 minutes ago, Unbias said:

Bruce Allen cryptically said in early June that knew what the issue was with Trent. Since then it's been almost dead silence from the front office. 

It seems like they have had at least had 2 months and they are choosing to try and force Trent to play for the Redskins. Not sure if this is because it's the best option or if we are being stubborn.

I'll go with them knowing the state of this line without Tent might keep us out the playoffs.

2 hours ago, CTskin said:

If we get a 1st for TW then everyone bashing the FO will need to swallow their pride and give props. No team in their right mind should trade a 1st for a diminishing player who has played 2/3s of the games over the past three seasons. Not only that, they know that TW will hold out and has us hamstrung. If you're expecting a first and nothing else will suffice then prepare to be disappointed. At this point, I don't care, this drama is bull**** and I want it gone. Give me a 2nd or a decent player and let's move on. 

I kinda would swallow my pride and give props. That would be a great haul, but if we ended up only getting a 2nd (or less) would the FO backers all say this was a massive mistake by Bruce? 

It goes both ways. Right now it appears Bruce is trying to force Trent to play. He's fining him and declining trade calls. Maybe it's all posturing to get a better deal, but ultimately the proof will be in the pudding. Right after trade details are let out we'll know how to judge Bruce no matter what he says. 

3 hours ago, Skin'emAlive said:

The Patriots do not fleece everyone. They have just as many failed experiments as other franchises do. The difference is that they ruthlessly move players before they can demand too much, and get away with it because the have Tom Brady and Bill. It really does come down to that.

Fair enough. My real point was that I don't trust this FO to emerge from this situation without egg on thier collective faces (primarily Allen and Snyder) rather than making a point about the Patriots fortunes on trades.

1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

I'll go with them knowing the state of this line without Tent might keep us out the playoffs.

Outside of QB, no one player should determine if a team makes the playoffs or not. It's football, so if we have no depth and can't sustain one player missing we weren't really a playoff team to begin with. 

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If we can get that rumored 1st and 6th then based on your tackle projection we should be in business. Another interesting wrinkle is if Geron develops enough where we could afford to grab another project swing in the mid rounds. This would allow us to focus on more high end impact talent at the skill positions with two first round picks. If/when the trade happens I will need to join the brethren in the draft thread 😎.

3 minutes ago, SkinsFootball said:

If we can get that rumored 1st and 6th then based on your tackle projection we should be in business. Another interesting wrinkle is if Geron develops enough where we could afford to grab another project swing in the mid rounds. This would allow us to focus on more high end impact talent at the skill positions with two first round picks. If/when the trade happens I will need to join the brethren in the draft thread 😎.

The draft has the potential to be special at WR and really good at LT.  Having 2 first rounders is tailored made for the future.  I just don't think Trent (based on age and his lack of durability) to be part of the future.  If I recall Chris Samuels who likewise seemed like a rock at LT for a long time lasted only one more year then Trent's current status.  

44 minutes ago, Unbias said:

Outside of QB, no one player should determine if a team makes the playoffs or not. It's football, so if we have no depth and can't sustain one player missing we weren't really a playoff team to begin with. 

I dont agree with this because of the chain reaction to the line we are seeing.  If the dropoff to Penn is significant or he gets hurt, we start moving around peices again and it becomes an absolute mess.  Your oline being a mess can effect the entire offense. 

Ask Dallas how they felt about losing Zeke the end of that one year after the previous year being a number one seed, didnt even make the playoffs

i'd take a first and a developmental player in a heart beat for TW. This team will suck this year even with Trent playing here.. so lets build for 2020.

In 2020

- Haskins with a year under his belt should hopefully be a quality starter at QB

- D should be solid

- Rbs should be solid

- Draft can bring in talent on O line and WR

= Skins being competitive in 2020

1 hour ago, HTTRDynasty said:

The overhyping of Clowney is still a thing, I see. The man has never had double-digit sacks, yet we’re supposed to be happy giving up a top 3 LT for him?  I understand he’s a great run defender, but it’s a passing league. Take the picks or wait it out. 

I haven’t seen a lot of Clowney hype. How worthy of hype is Trent given his production over the last couple years? 

He should have been traded prior to the 2018 draft.

1 hour ago, Unbias said:

I kinda would swallow my pride and give props. That would be a great haul, but if we ended up only getting a 2nd (or less) would the FO backers all say this was a massive mistake by Bruce? 

It goes both ways. Right now it appears Bruce is trying to force Trent to play. He's fining him and declining trade calls. Maybe it's all posturing to get a better deal, but ultimately the proof will be in the pudding. Right after trade details are let out we'll know how to judge Bruce no matter what he says. 

If we end up with less than a first for Trent, it will only be because Bruce waited too long. If we do get a first, or more, I’d give Bruce zero credit... credit for what?

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I want picks as opposed to Clowney.  I've seen that rumor below in a bunch of places though not sure its legit. 

I believe he has a list of teams he has said he’d not resign with. I don’t think anyone can sign him long term this season. 

2 minutes ago, volsmet said:

I haven’t seen a lot of Clowney hype. How worthy of hype is Trent given his production over the last couple years? 

He should have been traded prior to the 2018 draft.

Clowney has been a disappointment.  There's no debating that.  He was chosen ahead of Mack in 2014 but he is nowhere near the caliber of player, which is why, when also adding in his injury history, the Texans refuse to pay him what he's asking even though he plays the second most valuable position in the league. 

Trent is comparable, IMO, as an LT to Mack as an EDGE in terms of excellence at their positions (excepting their respective ages and injury concerns).  That is why Trent is easily worth a 1st, IMO, for a contending team.  Mack went for two 1st's IIRC and the Bears still fleeced the Raiders.

Also, I agree, Trent should have been traded last year, but that doesn't really matter anymore.

If it's Miami no way I see them giving up a first because it might be the first pick in the draft and they supposedly are in love with Tua.  But they do have a ton of picks next year.  Though their interest strikes me odd.  I presumed the other AFC teams aside from the Pats were the Jets, Browns.

Trent for Clowney makes ZERO sense!

-Trent has 2 more years on a (cheap for LT) contract

- He is top 3 LT in the NFL

- Skins drafted Sweat to take that role opposite Kerrigan  and we need to see what he has.

- Clowney would be a 1 year rental since he is definitely not worth 20mil/year he is seeking and skins dont have the cap to sign him anyways

I agree waiting to trade Trent until after 3rd preseason game. There is a good chance that some startign O lineman will get injured so his price will only go up

50 minutes ago, sempre_victrix said:

The best thing for the Skins would be if the Texans can trade JC for a decent pick.  That'll make giving us a 1st for TW much more palatable.

Good point. I wonder if it would free up money and be easier to sign Scherff once Trent is dealt? Gotta believe it would. Tell Houston we'll take a 1st and a 3rd for Trent and move on with two 1sts and two 3rds next year. 

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The draft has the potential to be special at WR and really good at LT.  Having 2 first rounders is tailored made for the future.  I just don't think Trent (based on age and his lack of durability) to be part of the future.  If I recall Chris Samuels who likewise seemed like a rock at LT for a long time lasted only one more year then Trent's current status.  

Big difference in Samuels and TW.  Samuels had a some spinal condition as a child and retired because of a helmet to helmet injury and it having something to do with his spinal condition.  

TW doesn't have anything close to that (that we know of).  I guess I just don't like the comparison, based on injury/medical history of the two.  Trent can still play in the league for another 2-3 years at a high level, when healthy.  But I do agree that he is on the decline and am fine with trading him.

Archived