Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

Quarterback wise I’m interested to see how Lawrence, Fields, Burrow, Tua, Herbert and Hurts shake out from now until the end of the season. I know they’re not all the same class...  but I find it interesting. 

Tua’s injuries are becoming an issue.

As of now, without in depth film study and just watching them play THIS season, I have them:

1. Hurts

2. Tua/Burrows

4. Fields

5. Lawrence

6. Herbert

Again, this is based on first watches and no real study + injury status.

I know I’m in the minority on Hurts but he has impressed me so far. Going to be interesting to see how he plays against top flight talent later in the season. I’m looking forward to a lot of these guys running into each other, too. 

Almost just want to trade down for a big haui because we need so much. We aren't drafting another QB, people should just move on from that idea now for their own sake and accuracy of potential picks here.

And if you haven't noticed we need them, especially with no 2nd round pick at the moment. We have huge holes at ILB, O-Line, and the Secondary.

2 hours ago, Skins199021 said:

Almost just want to trade down for a big haui because we need so much. We aren't drafting another QB, people should just move on from that idea now for their own sake and accuracy of potential picks here.

And if you haven't noticed we need them, especially with no 2nd round pick at the moment. We have huge holes at ILB, O-Line, and the Secondary.

I think you're very likely correct about not drafting a QB. And I agree with that unless you're sitting there and a guy who you think is a potential generational talent is on the board. If you think that's the case, and you have a new coach who's not sold on Haskins and is big time sold on the new guy then you pull the trigger. But I don't think that will be the case when we pick and I'm not convinced that there IS a guy that good in this draft. Tua certainly looks special but he also has some injury concerns and has had an insanely good team around him his entire stint there. Herbert is good but overrated and I don't think will end up being a great NFL QB. Burrows is playing just as well as Tua but he's also a bit of a one year wonder and would be a dark horse top 5 pick (but I could certainly see it happening). 

Plus, assuming we pick in the top 5, there's going to be a TON of monster talent there in this draft. I assume there will be a couple of QBs taken in the top 5. That means we'll likely have at least one of Young, Jeudy, and Okudah sitting there for us (I was thinking Thomas earlier in the process but I've soured on him a bit after watching him more carefully and listening to others' observations of him).

Those guys would be so hard to pass up. Young is going to be an absolute terror pass rusher in the NFL; he's borderline unstoppable and has pretty much everything from great moves, elite hand use, explosion, and bend/agility for a guy his size. Can you imagine Jerry Jeudy on one side and Terry on the other? Jeudy is a guy you can plug in from day one and will be an instant star I think, because his route running is so precise and advanced...plus he has amazing hands as well as speed and a great release off the line; our WR corps would go from blah to frightening pretty fast. Okudah is a stud and it would be great to get rid of Norman and have a true lockdown #1 corner...which is rare and is what he is. That sort of guy can have a huge impact and can be a game changer.

That's one reason I'd be hesitant to trade down. I don't want to trade down just for the sake of trading down and getting more picks. I'd much rather have 1 superstar stud than a couple of good players. Unless someone very close to our pick give us a bunch so we only move down a few spots and pick up a haul...like if we were at 3 and someone at 6 absolutely had to have the guy who was there at 3 and knew he wasn't going to be there when they picked. Then we'd still be able to snag a top blue chip talent.

Im going to tell y’all the future. We will finish with the 3rd pick (more on that later) and will promptly pick the first tackle of our choice. 

Bruce Allen has a huge ego. He always has to have the upper hand in an attempt to save face after players get fed up with the bs.

There may be more talented players available but it is a lock that this occurs.

3 hours ago, sportjunkie07 said:

Im going to tell y’all the future. We will finish with the 3rd pick (more on that later) and will promptly pick the first tackle of our choice. 

Bruce Allen has a huge ego. He always has to have the upper hand in an attempt to save face after players get fed up with the bs.

There may be more talented players available but it is a lock that this occurs.

Oh I can see this happening,  for sure. The fact that he hasn't already been ****canned for the stunt hes pulling right now, says everything one needs to know about his job security. 

The 4 Most dominant OL in the Sr bowl are showing out early in the nfl season as rookies, something to keep an eye on when that glorious week revisits is in the winter.

On 4/20/2019 at 12:59 PM, volsmet said:

I fear they underestimate the changes in the league .. even just since Cooley left it. The speed in the middle, the power in the middle, the athletes in the middle ... we need a guard desperately. Dallas & Indi prioritized the interior & it changed their team completely. I think we need an upgrade at center & guard, I’d be happy with Mccoy & Risner at 1 & 2. 

Everyone says you build from the inside out .. then they neglect C & OG 🤔.

On 4/19/2019 at 1:58 AM, volsmet said:

Just watch the first 3:50 of this game, Mccoy doesn’t just ...not get beat ... he absolutely mauls Quinnen Williams 3-4 times; Mccoy is the best player on that field.

Williams is as dominant as just about any DT you’ll ever see in college, he gets man handled several times in the initial 3:50. Raekwon gets it too.

I could see this happening.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/kyle-crabbs--2020-nfl-mock-draft-2.0

Cincinnati_Bengals_logo.svg.png
Bengals

Joe Burrow

QB, LSU

Don't look now, but the Joe Burrow train has already left the station -- if you're hoping to get on before things get too crazy, you're running out of time. Burrow has been absolutely sublime this season, operating the Tigers offense to near perfection through 7 games. Why would Cincinnati target Burrow over Tua Tagovailoa? Why would anyone covet Burrow over Tua at all.

We're teetering on the brink of durability concerns for Tua, who suffered a high ankle sprain this past week versus Tennessee. Furthermore, Tua may well get pushback from a traditionalist front office in Cincinnati: he's shorter than the prototype, he's left-handed. I'm not saying these are legitimate gripes to suggest Tua won't be successful -- but at the very least they are boxes Burrow checks over Tua.

Not to mention an abysmal Cincinnati team is likely to be hands on as one of the active coaching staffs in Mobile this January for the 2020 Senior Bowl -- a game that Burrow is eligible for. Tua is not. 

Miami_Dolphins_logo.svg.png
Dolphins

Tua Tagovailoa

QB, Alabama

Imagine all this fuss and hubbub about "Tank for Tua", only for the Dolphins to "drop the ball" and fail to secure the top pick...and then be positioned to draft Tua Tagovailoa anyway. We've reached the point in the season (midway) where we can start embracing new narratives: here's one for you -- both Burrow and Tua are top of the draft talents who any team should gladly gobble up. The rest of the pack has enough warts that they should be considered "consolation prizes".

The Dolphins ultimately get their man at #2 overall -- a cerebral passer with high end short area quickness and a natural feel for climbing in the pocket to avoid rushers off the edge. Yes: Tua needs to keep guys off of his feet and the Dolphins will be tasked with a significant offseason overhaul of their offensive line in order to protect their investment. But Tua is the guy. 

Washington_Redskins_logo.svg.png
Redskins

Chase Young

EDGE, Ohio State

This pick is pretty simple at this point: take the best player available. And Chase Young is leaving little doubt on where he stands in the lexicon of 2020 NFL Draft talents: right at the top. Washington faces an aging Ryan Kerrigan and while the team boasts a 1st-round pick in Montez Sweat from 2019 and a potent group of interior rushers in Da'Ron Payne and Jon Allen, I dare you to find me a team in the NFL that has "too many pass rushers".

I'll wait. 

Chase Young,  if available at 2/3/4 seems like a no brainer for this team. The question becomes what we do we do if we acquire a second pick. A lot of that will be contingent on where the second pick is but QB, OT, CB, WR would all seemingly have BPA type guys hanging around. 

But there’s a lot of factors that go into that decision that we just don’t have answers to yet.

Do we get a second first rounder?

Whos on the board?

Did Haskins show anything to the coaching staff/front office to warrant keeping him as “the guy” (note: this is likely something we can’t know unless he plays, but the FO/current coaches would have a pretty good idea)

How does the draft process shake out?

Lots of variables. 

FWIW, I heard Lawrence Tynes over the weekend be one of the few guys that seems to think Tua wont be very good.  Basically based on him being a one read QB, durability, and a couple other things.  I know he's not one of the "accepted" draft gurus out here and nobody goes to a kicker for QB scouting, but I still thought that was interesting.  Because the argument he laid out was fairly reasonable. 

1 hour ago, justice98 said:

FWIW, I heard Lawrence Tynes over the weekend be one of the few guys that seems to think Tua wont be very good.  Basically based on him being a one read QB, durability, and a couple other things.  I know he's not one of the "accepted" draft gurus out here and nobody goes to a kicker for QB scouting, but I still thought that was interesting.  Because the argument he laid out was fairly reasonable. 

I listen to everyone until they give me reason not to. John Elway doesn’t have QBs figured out, he should have some insight into the position, but he’s been a disaster. I haven’t watched Tua closely, but so far he looks significantly different than the others to me. 

14 minutes ago, volsmet said:

I listen to everyone until they give me reason not to. John Elway doesn’t have QBs figured out, he should have some insight into the position, but he’s been a disaster. I haven’t watched Tua closely, but so far he looks significantly different than the others to me. 

Ive seen him, Hurts and Burrows the most. And I’m not sure how different he is. 

I think he has more of a playmaker feeling about him. Kind of like you feel when Mahomes is in the game. An electricity. The other guys just don’t have that.

But then he also has injury concerns. 

But I’m curious if he’s almost purposely throttled down a little in the early season. 

I am amped to see how this all shakes out.

16 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Ive seen him, Hurts and Burrows the most. And I’m not sure how different he is. 

I think he has more of a playmaker feeling about him. Kind of like you feel when Mahomes is in the game. An electricity. The other guys just don’t have that.

But then he also has injury concerns. 

But I’m curious if he’s almost purposely throttled down a little in the early season. 

I am amped to see how this all shakes out.

I still haven’t watched Burrow or OUs version of Hurts, but obviously Tua did more when they were both at Bama. Tua puts the ball in stride more frequently than I recall seeing anyone else do it & he definitely has an air of something more than I can’t quite ascertain, but it’s presence is palpable when Tua is on the screen. 

2 minutes ago, volsmet said:

I still haven’t watched Burrow or OUs version of Hurts, but obviously Tua did more when they were both at Bama. Tua puts the ball in stride more frequently than I recall seeing anyone else do it & he definitely has an air of something more than I can’t quite ascertain, but it’s presence is palpable when Tua is on the screen. 

And that’s one of those immeasurable things that pops up that can’t be objectified or quantified. 

There’s something there with him. For sure. 

With the Bryce Love second surgery news, Guice’s repeated injuries, Thompson’s repeated injuries and now AP hurt (though this is short term and he is under contract next year)... This team will likely be in the market for a back, too.

19 hours ago, volsmet said:

The 4 Most dominant OL in the Sr bowl are showing out early in the nfl season as rookies, something to keep an eye on when that glorious week revisits is in the winter.

I share your philosophy.  We've basically got one good player on our OL and then the rest go from competent to weak.  Anselfheimer and I have had discussions about the cumulative benefit that can be derived from concentrating high draft choices and high end talent in position groups, and I think the effect of it is that:

- when you've got a position group with just one good player in it, you just focus on getting matched up and reacting to the other team's identity.

- when you've got multiple good players in your position group, you establish an identity for yourself and dictate how the match ups proceed.

Having an identity is crucial for achieving a consistently high level of execution.  You need that cluster of things that your players can default to and execute in their sleep--go to offense or defense.  We don't have any identity whatsoever.  Jay Gruden was the master of designing elegant plays to account for every front and coverage that his players couldn't actually run.  Time for us to simplify and get an identity.  I thought we'd have one on defense but it hasn't coalesced.  And we certainly have nothing on offense.  Building smart, utilizing what we already have that's worth keeping, it makes sense for us to build our identity around high level interior offensive linemen.

I want us to keep Scherff, go after Jack Conklin or DJ Humphries as a potential reclamation to stabilize a tackle spot with a guy who is at least average, and then maneuver into position to get one or more of Biadasz, Trey Smith, and Lemieux.  Just one of those guys would make a big difference for us if we also retain Scherff.

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I share your philosophy.  We've basically got one good player on our OL and then the rest go from competent to weak.  Anselfheimer and I have had discussions about the cumulative benefit that can be derived from concentrating high draft choices and high end talent in position groups, and I think the effect of it is that:

- when you've got a position group with just one good player in it, you just focus on getting matched up and reacting to the other team's identity.

- when you've got multiple good players in your position group, you establish an identity for yourself and dictate how the match ups proceed.

Having an identity is crucial for achieving a consistently high level of execution.  You need that cluster of things that your players can default to and execute in their sleep--go to offense or defense.  We don't have any identity whatsoever.  Jay Gruden was the master of designing elegant plays to account for every front and coverage that his players couldn't actually run.  Time for us to simplify and get an identity.  I thought we'd have one on defense but it hasn't coalesced.  And we certainly have nothing on offense.  Building smart, utilizing what we already have that's worth keeping, it makes sense for us to build our identity around high level interior offensive linemen.

I want us to keep Scherff, go after Jack Conklin or DJ Humphries as a potential reclamation to stabilize a tackle spot with a guy who is at least average, and then maneuver into position to get one or more of Biadasz, Trey Smith, and Lemieux.  Just one of those guys would make a big difference for us if we also retain Scherff.

29308385-4C80-4AC7-BCB0-A07955B97340.gif

A new OT making his way into multiple top 15s:

giantsb_logo.gif New York Giants: Austin Jackson, OT, USC USC_logo.gif

Nate Solder is aging and declining. The Giants could take a tackle and start him out at guard or on the right side and eventually move him to replace Solder.  

Evaluators say Jackson is a great athlete with quick feet and excellent agility. The 6-foot-6, 305-pounder is an easy mover with the ability to bend at the knee and play with good leverage. There are times where Jackson gets away with some mistakes because he is so athletic, and he will need to work on technique for the NFL. He is raw from a fundamentals standpoint, but his skill set is that of a franchise left tackle. 

Team sources say that Jackson is a good kid that will interview well in the leadup to the draft and also will work out well because of his excellent skill set. Earlier this year, Jackson took a leave from the USC program in order to donate bone marrow to his younger sister, and he has played extremely well since coming back to the Trojans. Staff with pro teams also saying that Jackson will skip his senior year to enter the 2020 NFL Draft.

As a general rule...

Build from the lines out.

I put equal value on both lines. You can focus on a QB in the draft if you have a line that can protect. The Redskins have a LOT of work to do on the OL.

Moving forward:

1) Attempt to keep Scherff. By waiting this long, he has our balls in his purse as far as his contract. We're approaching the deadline, so they'd need to trade him in the next six days, otherwise if he leaves the best we can get is a comp. pick. (He IS a FA after this season, right? Not 2020?)

2) Keep Flowers. Of course, looking for upgrades is always a good plan. But he is playing good football right now and his presence eliminates the need to find a ton of new linemen.

3) Roullier is... meh. Very upgradeable. If you find one in a good spot. Do it.

4) Replace both tackles. Worst case scenario, replace the LT and if Penn is willing to stick around a little longer move him to the right side. But his play hasn't been great. He's held just as often as Moses has. 

On the DL, they need another pass rusher. Kerrigan hasn't been as explosive, though he has had moments. 

From that point they can focus on the other spots on the field. I'd say linebacker/TE become a priority. Quarterback could be, but not definite. 

I'm not on the Okudah train. I don't want a DB in the early rounds. If a good player is available in FA, I don't personally mind spending some cash as long as they are schematic fit. But in the draft I think there will be comparable players on the board in positions of need that are BPA candidates over Okudah.

Running back is a fairly decent sized hole with the injuries, but I'm not concerned with filling that with some crazy draft talent. Find a guy that can run forward and not break.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/washington-redskins/

Just looking at this list... Free agents after this season:

OL:

Brandon Scherff

Ereck Flowers

Donald Penn

Tony Bergstrom

TE:

Vernon Davis

Jerome Cunningham

RB:

Chris Thompson

Adrian Peterson (club option)

Wendall Smallwood

Craig Reynolds

QB:

Case Keenum

Colt McCoy

Josh Woodrum

P:

Tress Way

Safety:

Deshazor Everett

Jeremy Reaves

CB:

DRC

Colvin

Linebacker:

Jon Bostic

DL:

Noah Spence

Treyvon Hester

Caleb Brantley

Myles Humphrey

Most of these guys are hard passes. So Flowers/Scherff have to be priority signings. Maybe Penn, depending. If Reed retires or is released, TE is a gaping hole. As is RB. Quarterback, too, as Haskins is the only one left. 

Tress Way is a priority too. 

Still, I think BPA almost has to be a DE/OL at our first pick. 

Archived