Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

10 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Chase Young is ridiculous (8.5 sacks, 9.5 TFLs in 6 games), imo he's the clear cut #2 prospect in this draft. I really wanted Andrew Thomas, but I think Young is a player you can build a defense around. He's of the Myles Garrett mold imo, and what Clowney probably should have been. I'm all in for Young, Kerrigan isn't getting Younger and we appear to need edge rushing badly. 

Totally.  If we add a Bosa quality (some say even better) to our D line, it can transform the defense

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/10/14/nfl-week-6-devlin-hodges-fmia-peter-king/?cid=fmiatw

2. The 49ers are a revelation.

Maybe it was when bull-strong pass-rusher Nick Bosa walked Pro Bowl left tackle Andrew Whitworth back into Jared Goff early in the Niners-Rams game. Or maybe it happened late in the second quarter, when the Niners stoned the Rams’ Malcolm Brown twice on plunges from the 1-yard line. More likely, it came in the fourth quarter, this realization that the San Francisco defense, at least in the NFC, is as good as it gets.

If we can't trade down, Chase Young feels like the best possible outcome.

I like him more than I liked Bosa and Allen from last year.  I think he's somehow even more athletic than they are.  And I like his instincts more than Bosa's.  He goes off book to beat tackles and he does a little bit better job finding the ball IMO.

I'm on board with you guys, he looks like a franchise edge rusher who can be the leader of a great defense to me.

So it looks like the dolphins and bengals are our main competition for the top of the draft. And both are looking for a new qb most likely. We could still end up at #3 and have our choice at Young, Thomas, or Okudah. 

Then there is also the fact that the bucs, titans, and bears could all be looking for new qbs as well, which might open the door for a trade down scenario even at #3 if Burrows, Love, and Hurts continue to progress. 

The best bet for us is if Burrow makes the leap and enters the conversation as a franchise QB type.  Miami is locked in as the #1 (and they'll take a QB).  Hopefully Darnold elevates the Jets to some wins.  Cinci probably takes QB as well (dependent on their feelings on Findley).  I could see the Jets taking Jeudy over Young if they want to help Darnold (but WR is so deep) 

Chase Young is without question the best player in the draft IMO.

1 minute ago, Fresh8686 said:

So it looks like the dolphins and bengals are our main competition for the top of the draft. And both are looking for a new qb most likely. We could still end up at #3 and have our choice at Young, Thomas, or Okudah. 

Then there is also the fact that the bucs, titans, and bears could all be looking for new qbs as well, which might open the door for a trade down scenario even at #3 if Burrows, Love, and Hurts continue to progress. 

Bears don't have a 1st rounder.

Alert @Koolblue13  The dude below is typically wrong.  But I figured you'd enjoy an OJ Howard rumor, nonetheless. It doesn't sound crazy to me, Reed's  career is likely over.  Bruce is all about the moment.  Alabama, etc. 

14 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

The best bet for us is if Burrow makes the leap and enters the conversation as a franchise QB type. 

Granted its just a mock but it's a fun thought for trade down possibilities.  I like Ceedee Lamb a lot but no way I am taking him over Chase Young per that mock. 

Cincinnati_Bengals_logo.svg.png
Bengals

Joe Burrow

QB, LSU

In this week’s edition of the Tank for Tua Saga, the Cincinnati Benga… wait a minute. That’s not Tua’s name. What the hell is this!?

Here’s the thing, folks. Not only has LSU QB Joe Burrow been good, he’s been the best; he’s been the best player in all of college football this year. His improvement has been nothing short of extraordinary. He will beat you before and after the snap, he has the arm strength to push the ball down the field, and he has the accuracy and touch that has been top-of-the-class for six straight weeks.

You're going to read plenty of mocks with Tua as the top quarterback, but mock drafts at this point of the year are to explore the "what if" — since we all know crazy things happen.

The Bengals need a quarterback. The best quarterback this season has been Joe Burrow.

Miami_Dolphins_logo.svg.png
Dolphins

Tua Tagovailoa

QB, Alabama

With the top quarterback off the board, the Dolphins will just have to settle for Tua — boy, I can just feel the anger through the computer from some people after reading that.

In all seriousness, Tua is obviously still a great pro prospect. His arm, his accuracy, and his mobility will surely make him a Top 3 pick for whoever needs a quarterback in that range.

Washington_Redskins_logo.svg.png
Redskins

CeeDee Lamb

WR, Oklahoma

Did y’all see what CeeDee Lamb did to the Texas defense this weekend? Do I need to say more?

Lamb went into the year as one of the top wide receiver prospects in one of the most stacked receiver classes we’ve seen in a long time — and that was just based on what he did last year. This year he’s been even better. He’s a tough, fast, reliable, clutch, touchdown machine, and could very well be the best play maker to be had in this draft.

Atlanta_Falcons_logo.svg.png
Falcons

Chase Young

EDGE, Ohio State

It’s crazy that a team this talented could collapse this hard.

(But enough about the Tampa Bay Lightning.)

Going into the season, on paper, Atlanta had one of the more preferred rosters in the NFL. Sure, there were some elements to certain positions that weren't as strong as others. But *this* bad? Yikes.

That whole coaching staff is on their way out at this rate. Might as well take the best pass rusher in the draft to start the defensive rebuild. 

New_York_Jets_logo.svg.png
Jets

Andrew Thomas

OT, Georgia

The more I watch Georgia football this year, the more I’m convinced that Andrew Thomas is the best pro prospect on their team. He moves so well for a man who is 6-foot-5, 320 pounds. His smooth style with natural power at the left tackle position could make him a day one starter in New York.

If we're top 5, then its either QB, Chase Young, Thomas, or Jeudy for me.

I actually think the top 5 could be set in stone right now...(Tua, Burrow, Young, Jeudy, Thomas).  I'd probably still take Young over the QBs and hope Haskins has it.  If not, Trevor Lawrence is next year.

There is definitely nothing set in stone at this point.  The top five won't even be predictable on draft day.

Right now my preference is trade down.  Second would be drafting Chase Young.  I'd be happy with Thomas or Okudah too.

I want to get a second round pick and a late first.  Either via trade down and/or traded players.  I definitely do not want to trade future picks like we did last year, so I'm not interest in pursuing trades for current vets.

Multiple picks in the teens and/or twenties gets you shots at a stud corner, linebacker, running back, receiver, or Biadasz.  Multiple picks in the second gets you shots at a stud receiver or running back, or a good center, tackle or tight end.

That scenario is better than only coming away with Chase Young in the top 60.  But take what we can get.  Getting Young would be amazing.

45 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

There is definitely nothing set in stone at this point.  The top five won't even be predictable on draft day.

Right now my preference is trade down.  Second would be drafting Chase Young.  I'd be happy with Thomas or Okudah too.

I want to get a second round pick and a late first.  Either via trade down and/or traded players.  I definitely do not want to trade future picks like we did last year, so I'm not interest in pursuing trades for current vets.

Multiple picks in the teens and/or twenties gets you shots at a stud corner, linebacker, running back, receiver, or Biadasz.  Multiple picks in the second gets you shots at a stud receiver or running back, or a good center, tackle or tight end.

That scenario is better than only coming away with Chase Young in the top 60.  But take what we can get.  Getting Young would be amazing.

Idk...yes getting more players drafted is always good but we should of stayed put and drafted watt instead of trading back and getting kerrigan..which is no slight to his career but when you have a talent like young staring at you...you dont pass that up. He has a mack like effect and they dont grow on trees. You remember how fast they went to the podium when orakpo was being selected? You double that speed for chase young and you smile all the way there.

56 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

My vote is for this! If only it were that easy and the FO would listen to the fans.

OJ Howard would be an ideal pickup. The question would be at what cost? Maybe they would like a GM

45 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

My vote is for this! If only it were that easy and the FO would listen to the fans.

OJ Howard would be an ideal pickup. The question would be at what cost? Maybe they would like a GM

Howard is probably worth a 3rd/4th.  Its telling that Arians doesn't like him though.  Without our 2nd, I would not trade a 3rd for Howard.  We need that pick.  

1 hour ago, 757SeanTaylor21 said:

Idk...yes getting more players drafted is always good but we should of stayed put and drafted watt instead of trading back and getting kerrigan..which is no slight to his career but when you have a talent like young staring at you...you dont pass that up. He has a mack like effect and they dont grow on trees. You remember how fast they went to the podium when orakpo was being selected? You double that speed for chase young and you smile all the way there.

I hear you.  There is wisdom in the "bird in the hand" approach, and we've been starved of face of your franchise, All-Pro type talent like Chase Young seems to be.  And it's true that an All Pro edge rusher does seem to be the second most valuable thing in the sport.  They're able to lead great defenses in a unique way, as Mack and Watt and Miller have shown us.

You get Chase Young, you've got Dunbar, you've got Collins, you've already got an extremely strong interior group that is like five players deep, plus you've got Sweat...  You can see something special cooking under those circumstances.  And stacking up talent in your front seven makes each other guy you already have more effective.  Young could make that Sweat pick look better too.

I was also a big critic of that trade down in 2011.  Caught some smoke for that take too, people were a lot more optimistic around here at that time.  But I think the circumstances would be different this time:

1 - I think this draft is better at a few key positions that would suit us.  Namely, corner and receiver and running back.

2 - We didn't have a QB back then and we desperately needed one.  We've already got one drafted now, so we have more flexibility with our drafts.

3 - We just drafted Sweat.  He gives us some freedom to maneuver around too.

4 - If we're in Young territory, we're presumably picking way higher than we did in 2011, so we'd get a lot more in return for trading back.

The biggest problem with that 2011 trade down wasn't so much ending up with Kerrigan, it was getting absolutely nothing else of long term value in the returns from the deal.  That draft was awful when it was supposed to be the back bone for a roster.  I think you've got a chance to do much better in the return of a trade down from 2 or 3 in this year's draft.

Let's say you maneuver down from 2 or 3 and get two ones and a second out of it.  Maybe move back again to add another second.  Then you've probably got two picks in the top 25 and two more in the 30-50 range.  You could come away with a haul like CJ Henderson, Tyler Biadasz, K'Lavon Chaisson, and Isaiah Hodges with those picks and that feels like a much more valuable haul than just getting Chase Young.

At the end of the day, I'd be very happy with Young.  We'd have to get really lucky to be able to trade down multiple times for value from such a high slot because it takes two to trade.  So a good trade down is probably less likely then actually finishing high enough to draft Young.  My bet is that he'll be our pick.

Sip, I can’t quote your post with the Howard speculation, it would take me an hour to delete the images & tweets from this ipad, but TB was listening to Mike Evans offers over the summer, Howard being available now makes sense, I wonder what it would take to get him. Evans was going to be more than a first and the offloading of a contract, I believe they wanted to get an OL contract out, and they love Godwin as a #1. Howard was supposed to be special for them, the new staff was excited about him, but they don’t think he has the drive to put it together. Or so the speculation goes, lazy routes & a lack of love for the game is frustrating the Bucs.

Mclaurin is probably in the 90s if he held on to the one long pass down the left side. Dunbar is the keeper most slept on by the ES nation.

2 hours ago, DWinzit said:

We need to get Trent up out of here.

15 minutes ago, volsmet said:

Howard was supposed to be special for them, the new staff was excited about him, but they don’t think he has the drive to put it together. Or so the speculation goes, lazy routes & a lack of love for the game is frustrating the Bucs.

Yeah I saw weeks back Arians was asked why hasn't Howard reached his potential and he said basically he doesn't know.  Arians' comes off in his book and in interviews -- as a cool guy but also someone who is unforgiving if he thinks a player is lazy.  He's big into work ethic. 

I was not aware of motivation issues with Howard. If true, what a waste of talent.

While I still hold hope for Foster next year, Murray is an intriguing guy at a position that we could use more speed. Sure tackling, speed and instincts, what an awesome combo. Who knows if we will be running a 3-4, 4-3 or ?

That Oklahoma nose tackle looked pretty damn good too.  #90 Gallimore.  He is a big time bully too like Murray.  I thought he was more of a block eater and run stuffer, but he got after it against Texas.

Speaking of that game, does anyone know if Zach Shackleford is playing hurt?  I've been disappointed with what I've seen from him this season.  He looked like a much better player last year.

Hall & now Breeland, are we cursing our favorite prospects. 😖

Per FOX Sports' Bruce Feldman, Oregon senior TE Jacob Breeland will miss the remainder of the season due to a left knee injury.

Breeland (6'5/248) was not listed on the depth chart Oregon released earlier Monday, and the program's worst fears regarding the senior tight end have been realized. Breeland, whose draft profile rose as he developed into a key target for QB Justin Herbert, injured his left knee during the second quarter of Friday's 45-3 home win over Colorado. The redshirt senior finishes his season with a 26-403-6 stat line, and senior Ryan Bay will likely be next in line at tight end for the Ducks. Oregon visits rival Washington on Saturday.

Oct 14, 2019, 2:43 PM ET
  •  

Check out Albert Okwuegbunam... My favorite TE by a mile.... Dude would do some damage in this offense. Perfect red zone target, very slippery through the defense. Tracks the ball wall and goes up for it. Not shy of contact.

The dude is a bull... He's what I envisioned a healthy Jordan Reed would be.

Archived