Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

Jalen Hurts, again, is impressive. Gets his feet set and delivers the ball. 

They do a lot of play fake/QB keeper stuff, and that throws off how I’d project Hurts. But I think he’s a better prospect than Herbert

Did Murray stand out at all on defense?

I watched a good bit of Iowa & they’re atrocious outside of Wirfs, big Espy did 2 things:

jack

&

🤫

1 minute ago, volsmet said:

Did Murray stand out at all on defense?

I watched a good bit of Iowa & they’re atrocious outside of Wirfs, big Espy did 2 things:

jack

&

🤫

turned it off around the time the wagon flipped. Watching my Canes fall apart again. They remind me of the Redskins in so many ways. I do like Shaq Quarterman though. 

From what I saw Murray made a few plays but he seems to disappear for stretches. But I was half watching when OU was on D

Hate to say it but Thomas just hasn't looked good tonight.  I don't know what's going on, but he should be playing better than this.  He's jut not dialed in, I can see his helmet turning and him losing the block.

This Georgia team is soft.  They got their asses handed to them by Texas last year too after that Alabama loss.  Inexcusable.  Florida is going to put it on them if they don't pull themselves together.

My enthusiasm for Thomas in the top five has definitely cooled.  I would rather trade down them draft him in that range.  Super disappointing because I thought he'd be perfect for us.  But he's not the kind of competitor that Okudah and Young and Jeudy are and it would be a mistake to pick him over them.

5 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Hate to say it but Thomas just hasn't looked good tonight.  I don't know what's going on, but he should be playing better than this.  He's jut not dialed in, I can see his helmet turning and him losing the block.

This Georgia team is soft.  They got their asses handed to them by Texas last year too after that Alabama loss.  Inexcusable.  Florida is going to put it on them if they don't pull themselves together.

My enthusiasm for Thomas in the top five has definitely cooled.  I would rather trade down them draft him in that range.  Super disappointing because I thought he'd be perfect for us.  But he's not the kind of competitor that Okudah and Young and Jeudy are and it would be a mistake to pick him over them.

That's pretty disappointing to hear. I've only watched a couple of Georgia games this season and only focused on Thomas on and off. He looked very athletic and seemed to have good technique in pass pro but now that you mention it he didn't ever really look like he was playing nasty or with a killer instinct. That's definitely one of the things that was a huge plus about Trent (besides his crazy athleticism and technique)...dude was simply a mean ass player out there and that's something I'd like to continue to have as an anchor at LT. 

Herbert is fools gold. His stats looked good but he threw some bad passes and he Wasn’t  under pressure. Both long and some outs. Skipped some long ones and overthrew short ones. Did I mention he did not get pressured at all? That line though is filthy!  Eason had a great game. Bryant and Otten as well. 

28 minutes ago, mistertim said:

That's pretty disappointing to hear. I've only watched a couple of Georgia games this season and only focused on Thomas on and off. He looked very athletic and seemed to have good technique in pass pro but now that you mention it he didn't ever really look like he was playing nasty or with a killer instinct. That's definitely one of the things that was a huge plus about Trent (besides his crazy athleticism and technique)...dude was simply a mean ass player out there and that's something I'd like to continue to have as an anchor at LT.  

He's extremely talented but I think he lacks discipline as a player and I think he's far too content to blend in.  He's not as mean and assertive as Cosmi and Sewell and he does not fare well in comparison to Sewell, a bonafide top five OT talent.

The Georgia OL is supposed to be overwhelmingly talented but they're not as good as the Oregon dudes.

He's a first rounder but he's more of a project than his talent level would suggest and he needs to be unlocked via good coaching and good culture.

10 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

He's extremely talented but I think he lacks discipline as a player and I think he's far too content to blend in.  He's not as mean and assertive as Cosmi and Sewell and he does not fare well in comparison to Sewell, a bonafide top five OT talent.

The Georgia OL is supposed to be overwhelmingly talented but they're not as good as the Oregon dudes.

He's a first rounder but he's more of a project than his talent level would suggest and he needs to be unlocked via good coaching and good culture.

I feel like from what I've watched of Georgia their OL is really very good as a unit, but there isn't necessarily a dude who just jumps out on film where you go "whoa, that guy is crazy", despite the hype for Thomas. That's the kind of thing I'm looking for in a top pick...a guy on a top notch unit who still manages to stand out from the pack. And yeah, I've watched a few Oregon games as well and Sewell looks like a man among boys and is close to impossible to beat. Really sucks that he's a true Sophomore so isn't eligible for the draft this year. Barring any huge injuries he'll be an easy top 5 pick in the 2021 draft.

Thomas falling off blocks all over the place and playing timid when he has the talent to plant guys in graves.  It's like he thinks he's not allowed to keep his hands on a defender for more than a second or two.  He ain't that dude.  Picking him in the top five over dogs like Okudah or Jeudy or Simmons is the kind of move that gets GMs fired.

The only guy I really like on that Georgia offense is Swift, and I'm scared he's going to explode his patellar tendons within the first three years of his career.

36 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

stevemcqueen, who would rate as a better corner prospect from OSU coming out:  Lattimore (who had top 5 buzz before slipping) and Okudah?

I like Okudah a little more.  Bigger, less injury concern, and a little bit more versatility in man coverage.  But it'd be close between them.  If Lattimore had a second season of play like Okudah will have, he probably goes top five.  He's proven since that he was worthy of that.  He's stronger and a little more thickly muscled than Okudah too, and more physical as a result.  Okudah isn't soft, he's just not that strong.  More of a Jalen Ramsey type CB whereas Lattimore is more of a Marlon Humphrey type.

Thinking about our needs, we would have to consider OT and CB very highly. We seem to almost always pick for need. We also need outside pressure desperately. Sweat has one sack. Obviously, the hope is that he develops. Kerrigan has 1.5 sacks. You have to think Kerrigan needs to be replaced. Jeudy also seems to be an All Pro type pick and it would be hard to look past the upside.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2020/insider/story/_/id/27852474/kiper-2020-nfl-draft-big-board-rankings-how-high-joe-burrow-go

Kiper's big board was updated 10/16. He has 

1.Tua

2. Chase Young

3. Jerry Jeudy

4. Jeffery Okudah

6. Justin Herbert

11.Andrew Thomas

I have Chase Young, Jerry Jeudy and Okudah all clustered very close together, and it looks like Kiper sees this the same way, and like McQueen, and some others here, doesn't see Andrew Thomas as a top 5 type talent. 

I don't really know how to decide between Young and Jeudy and Okudah, but one consideration has to be asset allocation. Excellent CB's change teams regularly. They are made available in trades. They are allowed to move on as FA's. Great WR's change teams less often, but it still happens. Great pass rushers, in their prime,  are almost never available through FA or via trade. If we want a Myles Garrett or Von Miller, we better draft him. Looking at things that way would lead one to lean towards taking Chase Young. 

However, I picture this team with Chase Young in for Kerrigan, and to me their overall performance as a team seems like it would be incrementally better. I don't see a lot of extra wins. I think an OT or replacing Norman with an elite CB could make a more visible difference faster. I also think that if we want Haskins to succeed, providing him with more weapons seems smart. Imagine this offense with Love in the backfield and with McLaurin and Jeudy on the outside. It could be wildly successful if Haskins develops and we are able to protect him. 

In any case, I really hope that we are able to turn Trent into a first round asset this offseason. Trading Trent for a mid first and grabbing Wirfs could be a great move. Even if we just plug Wirfs in at RT. 

How would you guys break down Jeudy vs Chase Young vs Jeffery Okudah, if you were making this selection?

Young > Trade Down > Okudah > Jeudy I think.

I'd have Jeudy and Okudah very close but give the nod to Okudah based on position value.  A CB can dominate a super bowl and win it for you.

I think you can also get by in your passing game with fewer receivers, but it has gotten to where you need a huge number of dbs to excel in pass d.

I would rather trade down and pick two corners in the first like Fulton or Henderson + Jaylon Johnson than just get Okudah though.  This is a strength in numbers proposition.

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

So I've watched a couple of LSU games recently and I'm pretty impressed with Joe Burrow. If he keeps up his play how high could you guys see him moving up the draft boards? 

He definitely has a legit shot at #1 overall if he shreds Bama & puts on an impressive display in the playoff. He doesn’t necessarily need to be brilliant v Bama or make the playoff, but it’s the most direct path to #1 overall. Tua now has a recurring issue ... you never know, he may return, he may get passed if a medical issue becomes more significant.

Burrow is the QB I’m looking forward to watching most.

Young is freaking ridiculous. If sweat comes along a bit, Spence is pretty solid, ol steady Ryan and you've got an insane front 7. Insane. Collins is nasty and my boy Apke looked pretty smart back there. Young and a half decent DC and Callahans ridiculous 80's offense can seriously work. Especially if our 3 IRd RBs can play.

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Chase Young many say even better than Bosa

I think he is an even better prospect. From what I've seen his pass rush moves, hand use, and leverage are just as good as Bosa's but he's more explosive and has looser hips that allows him to bend the edge incredibly well. I think he's going to be a monster in the NFL. 

And looking at the stuff that @volsmet just posted...that pass rush win rate is completely off the hook. 

Young has the impossible combination of agility & size, most guys lose dexterity as they put on weight, but Chase is about 270 & still has the agility of a running back. He’s almost impossible to block 1 on 1 for over 3 seconds.

Archived