Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

17 minutes ago, philibusters said:

i don't know a ton about football but wouldn't the LB's switch sides if an offensive player motion to switch which side of the formation was the strongside.

Well... they can. But a fast motion means you have two players scrambling to get into position and leave yourself vulnerable. A slow bump down motion or a tight end trade you could do just that. But the problem is the tight end yo-yo motion where he starts a trade (goes from one side of formation to the other), stops and heads back to the original position but off the LOS. If your backers run with a trade, then they are scrambling. 

It seems to me in situations where you can either pass or run, from a pass defense perspective the strongside of the formation may be different than the strongside of the formation from a running perspective.   For example in a formation with 3 receivers a a TE with 2 receivers on one side and a receiver and TE on the other side, the side would with a TE would be the strongside from a run perspective, but the side with two receivers seems like the strong side from a pass perspective.  I don't know all that much about formations and alignments despite watching it for 30 years.

This varies from system to system and against different teams. For a team like Philadelphia, if I was the DC, I may consider the TE side both the passing and running strength due to their tight ends being heavily involved in their passing offense.

Against the Steelers I'd consider the 2 receiver side the passing strength and the tight end side the rush strength.

In a 4-3, your ideal situation is interchangeable OLBs. The Skins don't have that on the roster in any form, in my opinion. Both OLB spots require attention. Foster could play one, but then MIKE requires some attention (though, again, Holcomb with less coverage and more ability to get downhill quickly might be able to play there). And Foster likely won't be healthy. 

The problem happens when you see a set... let's use your 11 personnel example above (1 back, 1 tight end). Tight end on the line to the left, receiver off the line split wide to the same side. Slot receiver and on the line receiver to the right side.

If the slot from the right motions to the left, it changes coverages. Likely into a trips check.

If using the same personnel, the left side has the receiver lined up wide on the LOS and the tight end in a slot position off the LoS and the tight end motions to the backfield, it changes things. 

There's a ton of rules and intricacies in the way these things are defended. Typically, the SS aligns to the tight end side. The FS to the side with more "quick" receivers. But again, game plan can change that. Systems can change that. Personnel can change that.

In our D set up, you'd see Collins to the TE side more often. 

56 minutes ago, KDawg said:

The switch to a 4-3 is why I absolutely love Isaiah Simmons more than ever. He is versatile, can play inside, outside, free safety, etc. He likely wouldn't play most of those positions on a regular basis in the NFL, but he absolutely could play outside backer. He can rush, cover, fill. Perfect for either OLB spot. Traditionally he's small for a SAM... but in a league based on passing, I think size is less important (as long as you hold up relatively well at the POA and in college [yes it different than the NFL] he does...) and speed/athleticism is more important.

Prototypically I'd want a fast, strong, big SAM. But I'm not sure the prototype is always necessary. Size wise he fits with a Vilma type as a MIKE. He also fits as a WILL. He can play all three linebacker spots.

Young also fills a gap in depth. Can't go wrong with either guy. But regardless, a 4-3 switch leaves us with holes. Holes we can fill for sure. But holes.

Somewhat similar to Thomas Davis imo who had as much hand in making that defense so difficult to contend with in 2015 as Kuechly did. 

@Skinsinparadise, I've been watching Kenneth Murray to try and nail down my thoughts on his game.  First off, I think he is the only truly good player on that entire defense.  But I don't think he's going to go in the first round.  He has no shortage of motor and aggression and willingness to fill and hit.  He just doesn't have good play strength.  I think his size is limiting in this regard.  More so than it was for Devin Bush and Devin White, who are shorter than Murray.  Look at Devin Bush's weight distribution and he's thick in the core muscles and the waist and hips.  He's got length issues, but his play strength is much better than Murray's.  I think the same is true for Devin White.

Murray is very tightly wound and narrow-hipped and I don't think he has the build to pack on more bulk without losing speed.  He's got some Lavonte David in him.  That's making me think second round is his likely draft range.

The limitations: Murray can handle himself against a tight end, but he gets easily washed by climbing offensive linemen.  The quality of his rep depends entirely upon staying clean and diagnosing before the blocks can get set up on him.  I think he's a pure WILL run and hit style linebacker, and I think that lack of positional versatility limits his draft value.  He needs to show he can cover the slot to be a really good NFL player.  He's not going to be able to beat a good run fit or close a crease against an NFL sized tackle.  He got flattened by Sam Cosmi when they matched up directly.  He's not going to anchor in the B and C gaps, nor is he going to be much of an edge rushing threat.  He's easy to seal, and even feels a little passive when engaged by a tackle. 

But also that OU defensive front is trash and it can be hard to separate their issues from an evaluation of his level of play.  He closes off the edge single-handedly, time and again, but the cutback lanes are often huge.  When he gets sealed, it's going to be a run for a gain.  And he's not getting any support from the secondary, those players just flat out suck and they get routinely mauled by receivers and don't play downhill at all.  They are usually waaaaay off the line of scrimmage because they can't cover either.  So if he misses his tackle, it's usually a chunky gain.

The way he plays the outside run is pretty high risk too.  I guess he feels he has to run such tight angles in order for the team to have a chance at stopping the outside run around the line of scrimmage because you know the corners won't do **** and the other linebackers and safeties are slow.  It's a habit that will get him in trouble with his future team though.

Another issue stemming from his size: he gets nicked up in almost all of the games I watched.  A lot of cramping and hamstring issues and again, I think that goes back to being so tightly wound and having so little bulk on his frame for a linebacker.  This is a rough and tumble player who plays undersized and really leaves everything on the field, and thus he gets hurt.  You love the heart, but you worry about the availability.  He's going to require having depth at the linebacker position so that you don't experience a big dropoff when he goes out of the game.

The biggest strengths are the motor and toughness.  They are truly special.  He's got the make up of a tone setter and you can tell he lives and dies with the game and wants to be involved on every snap.  He is a ferocious pursuit player.  And he's a talented tackler too.  Makes tons of very difficult plays off his frame and doesn't get beat very often.  Can be a real striker too.  He'll get sonned from time to time by powerbacks when he tries to catch in the hole.  Happened in the LSU game and it wasn't pretty, and again, that goes back to having lesser play strength for the position.  But he also bounces back form those kinds of collisions and it doesn't limit his aggression when it happens.

The speed is another obvious strength.  It's elite.  Closing speed is awesome.  Gears up super fast once he's made his read.  Can reach a good runningback or running quarterback at the line of scrimmage outside the opposite hash from his alignment if his read is good.  Very good alley player.  Seems to be able to run with backs in the middle of the field when in coverage.  Most of his zone work is pretty basic MIKE stuff, so I don't really know just how good his coverage skills are.  The athleticism is good so he's probably at least workable.  Oklahoma wants him playing downhill every snap so he doesn't get man coverage duties.

I think there might be some real talent for A and B gap blitzing too.  He's sneaky and has good balance and ability to change speeds so he fools the blitz pickup.  He also plays low, so he can hide on delays and wait for the open rush lanes to develop.  And he's got a nose for finding them and does a good job getting the quarterback down.

I think he's a fairly smart player with good diagnostic skill and he is consistent in his reads and aggression.  I think he can fulfill a similar role to David and be a cog in a great defense.  I think his lack of versatility is going to limit his draft value and opportunities to find a place on teams that are already pretty well set at WILL.  And I think the way for him to overcome this and be tremendously valuable for his team is to show the ability to man cover backs and slot players at a high level.

As far as the knuckle-head comment I made about Murray earlier, he just does borderline stuff out there on the field.  He almost started a fight against the Kansas in the pregame by doing stupid stuff.  That kind of thing gets old, as you want to see more professionalism and focus in a team leader.

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

Twins open is easy. Passing strength to the slot side. Put the best coverage OLB to that side. That would be out of 20 personnel. 10 / 11 personnel is where Anderson is problematic in space. 

I think you would usually have Anderson rush or come off the field against 10 or 11 personnel.  Some tight ends he can cover, but we should have other players who are better coverage options in those packages.  He can make the odd play in zone though, like in the flat, because his instincts are pretty good.  We should be able to play him outside against 20 and 12 personnel.

He's probably going to have to go back to a rotation role if we draft Chase Young, but edge rushing is his best skill and he should still get opportunities for edge rushing throughout the course of a game.  My guess is he'll probably play on the strong side.

1 minute ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

He's probably going to have to go back to a rotation role if we draft Chase Young, but edge rushing is his best skill and he should still get opportunities for edge rushing throughout the course of a game.  My guess is he'll probably play on the strong side.

I agree. He's a better fit at SAM than WILL. And he needs to be coming off the edge.

I'm with ya.

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

I agree. He's a better fit at SAM than WILL. And he needs to be coming off the edge.

I'm with ya. 

Kind of counting our chickens before they hatch here, but assume we take Chase Young and trade Kerrigan.  In that instance, I think Anderson's primary job will be spelling Young and Sweat.  I'd want to give him one side of the field and say just play downhill. Go get the ball in the backfield.  Like you, I don't like the idea of him having to go backwards or play way out in space.  The most I probably want from him in coverage are simple zone drops and covering a flat.

The question is, do we have enough quality and versatility in the rest of our safeties and linebackers to fill all of the different second level roles for the various 4-3 and nickle and dime packages?  We have Landon Collins and we have young options who've shown flashes, but nothing spectacular.  I could see Foster getting healthy and being a really good WILL.  Collins is a nice overhang player and box safety but not necessarily a great one.  He was better for the Giants than he was for us this year, so maybe he can have a bounce back season next year with the right scheme and surrounding players.  Dion-Hamilton is a good player who got a nice 71.4 grade this year.  He gives you some versatility in the front.  Holcomb wasn't good this year, but he was a rookie who got a lot of snaps so there could be some upside there.  Overall I'd say the box players are alright and there is some upside in the group.  They're not great but they have a chance to get better naturally.

The real problem area is the secondary.  We get really weak at corner after Dunbar and our safeties were JAGs.  We can't confidently play man coverage and we can't seem to deal with motion because Fabian Moreau is useless in the slot for some reason.  I don't think there is much upside in the group I think we need as many as three new good DBs who can play outside and inside in order to run a good secondary.  I think we need to spend some money to address this group in free agency, and I think we need to find a way to get back into the top 60 picks in order to find high quality DBs in the draft.  I don't think there's going to be any real day three quality at DB in this year's class.

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

I'm with ya.

I was thinking the same thing about Anderson...more of a SAM than a WILL because of his mediocre athleticism and speed. But he's tough as nails, has good size to take on blocks at the point of attack and probably enough athleticism to cover many TEs in the flat. I'd be really worried about him as a WILL, especially with 10 or 11 personnel like you mentioned. I was actually thinking of Foster as more of a WILL...super athletic, plenty of speed, more of a playmaker/instinctual player. Him at MIKE I'd be a bit worried about not because he couldn't play it physically but because a MIKE has to be the QB of the defense and know all the alignments and get people into position...Foster really doesn't seem like that guy to me. IIRC at Bama he was basically the brawn and SDH was the brains. 

Did Lance Briggs play SAM or WILL? I'm remembering his play style from when I was much younger, but in my head the two are the same archetype of LB in regards to aggression and athletic ability. Ryan would've been better served playing 10-20 years earlier. 

And I'm in no way saying Ryan Anderson could hold a candle to Briggs, just talking about play style as a 4-3 LB :) 

1 hour ago, LLandryistheshiz said:

Did Lance Briggs play SAM or WILL? I'm remembering his play style from when I was much younger, but in my head the two are the same archetype of LB in regards to aggression and athletic ability. Ryan would've been better served playing 10-20 years earlier. 

And I'm in no way saying Ryan Anderson could hold a candle to Briggs, just talking about play style as a 4-3 LB :) 

Briggs played the weak side, the scheme he played in was designed to leave him unblocked free to roam and make plays, and he did that very well. I think Foster could be very good in that role for us if used like that. 

21 hours ago, rabidskin said:

What every analyst and scout said:   Ryan Leaf — 2nd overall, 1998,  Tim Couch — 1st overall, 1999,  Ki-Jana Carter — 1st overall, 1995,  JaMarcus Russell — 1st overall, 2007,  Charles Rogers — 2nd overall, 2003   just to name a few.   you never really know!  the bust list is long and numerous.

Those are not these DEs that have been coming out if college different times my man these DEs can play mane a bust at DE in the last ten years.

Where does the strength of this draft lie? Does anyone on the board know yet?

I figure the team needs to bolster its o line, get a tight end, and probably get a little more help with the secondary. I like the idea of getting Young with the first, but (assuming we can trade around and get more draft ammo) is the 2020 draft deep enough to score a good back up/starting tight end or tackle in the third or fourth rounds?

24 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Where does the strength of this draft lie? Does anyone on the board know yet?

I figure the team needs to bolster its o line, get a tight end, and probably get a little more help with the secondary. I like the idea of getting Young with the first, but (assuming we can trade around and get more draft ammo) is the 2020 draft deep enough to score a good back up/starting tight end or tackle in the third or fourth rounds?

At a cursory glance, I’d suggest receiver. There’s a ton of them. 

Some good edge rushers, too. 

To Steve’s post about secondary being weak, I agree. Secondary is a concern. I just don’t see it as a larger one than LB. but I believe both of these are of more concern than tight end. More resources need to be poured into linebacker and defensive back to be fixed. If necessary, I’m not opposed to a Sprinkle, Hentges, Wilson TE corps. I don’t love it... but..

Foster has played in 16 games in 3 NFL seasons, only rivaled by Derrius Guice, who has played in 5 games in 2 NFL seasons. Relying on a healthy Foster is a large mistake. At best, I’d consider him to be bonus... if he’s there it’s a ridiculous addition to the roster. If he’s not... well, you kind of figured that would be the case.

That limits our backer situation. SDH, JHC, Holcomb, Bostic become your current guys. None of them showed the ability to get downhill and fill with any consistency. I do think Holcomb and SDH, with more limited coverage responsibilities, could play the MIKE spot fairly effectively. Both can bring the thunder and both are smart. But I don’t see a single outside linebacker that I don’t have a significant fear about playing in space except for Foster. 

Literally no one. You can put Anderson out there once in awhile, drop him once in a blue moon and use him as a rusher. You can also have him put his hand in the dirt once in awhile. 

You could make an argument for JHC, but he’s had trouble getting on the field, too. But a lot of these guys are smart, good tacklers with good IQs but aren’t downhill, aggressive, attacking style linebackers. Which would be fine if they excelled in coverage, but they haven’t. I think all of the guys in the middle have some potential. Bostic, SDH, Holcomb and JHC. But they’re all pretty similar and not there yet.

DB has Dunbar. Who plays in roughly 11.5 games per season through his career. While that’s not ideal, it’s more reliable than Foster. Moreau also played serviceable at the outside corner. I don’t think he has the same skills as an Okudah, but he’s okay out there. And he’s not a bad football player. Moreland flashed a little as well. Beyond them there’s not much to write home about. So CB is definitely a need.

Free safety is the biggest concern to me outside of LB. Nicholson is undisciplined and a ticking time bomb. People seemed to like Apke, but I’m not sure I saw him do much of anything of note when I watched. This position needs significant attention. OLB trumps it for me because 2 positions > 1 position. 

But all of those spots need work. With free agency and the draft I think we can shore up some things. Improved coaching adds more improvement to the mix as well. 

But, I’d still rate our biggest needs as:

1) OLB

2) FS

3) OL (this can move up or down based on what some of the guys on the OL do this offseason)

4) CB

6) (yes I skipped 5) TE

7) RB

17 hours ago, LLandryistheshiz said:

I thought Briggs played WILL but I could be wrong.   In a 4-3 Anderson strikes me more of a LDE.  He'd be like Daniels was when he was here or Wynn.  With the other side (RDE) facing the LT would be the Andre Carter type.  If its with Young and Sweat I think they are both interchangeable on both sides of the field.  They are both speed rushers who are decent albeit not killer against the run.  IMO it would be a killer rotation.  You can even put one of our DTs on occasion at LDE on the goal line or obvious run downs.

You need some speed and pass coverage ability to play OLB both WILL or SAM in a 4-3, and Anderson isn't fast or known for coverage ability.  I can see Foster at WILL.  Holcomb at MLB.  In theory maybe Hamilton at SAM though he seems a bit light for that spot.  In concept, a 3-4 OLB like Kerrigan should be able to play SAM in a 4-3 but arguably Kerrigan wasn't much in coverage either.

I was thinking of who was the best 4-3 SAM here most recently before the switch to the 3-4.  Maybe Marcus Washington who was 6 "3, 244.   Off the top of my head OLB is the one spot that isn't obvious as to who we got to fit a 4-3.  We have other weaknesses on defense than that but I am referring specifically as for the fit of current players to that scheme. 

Here's a crazy thought, and I realize this is very madden like but could we possibly secure even more draft capital by trading down twice.

Detroit is sitting at three, they don't need a quarterback and you just know their aching to draft young, would it make sense to try to trade down one slot with them if they offered a decent return to get young and then trade down again to a quarterback needy team?

Any realistic chance that would net us a better return than just trading it once?

I'm in the draft young ourselves camp simply because I'm aching to see what that defensive front can do with him and good coaching, but if we could pull off a double trade and get a huge haul in return i think that would be pretty nice too.

Either way it's a great situation we're in with this pick I'm just curious if anybody thinks it's even a viable plan or totally unrealistic. 

23 hours ago, MisterPinstripe said:

Orchard was a big surprise for me, he has played very well since he joined. Sweat, Young, Kerrigan, and Orchard is a great group to me.

I have been following Orchard since I saw him tearing up as he mentioned his family being through so much after his first game here. Now that's  guy I want to see stick, just for the paycheck.  

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I thought Briggs played WILL but I could be wrong.   In a 4-3 Anderson strikes me more of a LDE.  He'd be like Daniels was when he was here or Wynn.  With the other side (RDE) facing the LT would be the Andre Carter type.  If its with Young and Sweat I think they are both interchangeable on both sides of the field.  They are both speed rushers who are decent albeit not killer against the run.  IMO it would be a killer rotation.  You can even put one of our DTs on occasion at LDE on the goal line or obvious run downs.

You need some speed and pass coverage ability to play OLB both WILL or SAM in a 4-3, and Anderson isn't fast or known for coverage ability.  I can see Foster at WILL.  Holcomb at MLB.  In theory maybe Hamilton at SAM though he seems a bit light for that spot.  In concept, a 3-4 OLB like Kerrigan should be able to play SAM in a 4-3 but arguably Kerrigan wasn't much in coverage either.

I was thinking of who was the best 4-3 SAM here most recently before the switch to the 3-4.  Maybe Marcus Washington who was 6 "3, 244.   Off the top of my head OLB is the one spot that isn't obvious as to who we got to fit a 4-3.  We have other weaknesses on defense than that but I am referring specifically as for the fit of current players to that scheme. 

Briggs was definitely a WILL. I remember when he was potentially available and it was being talked about here how he would be a major upgrade at our WILL spot. 

As far as Foster, to me he's definitely a WILL. He's the Lance Briggs type...instinctual, athletic, wrecking ball playmaker guy. I don't know if he has the football IQ to be a MIKE (he certainly has the size and athleticism). That's not to say that he's dumb, but he's just never been known as that kind of guy...when they were at Bama it was SDH that was making all the calls and getting people into position. He was the brains, Foster was the brawn. 

I could see SDH at MIKE for his smarts but he's a bit undersized for an NFL MIKE. I also think that Holcomb may be a good fit but I'm not sure he has that sideline to sideline range that you'd ideally like out of your MIKE backer. 

I agree that SAM is a tough one. Anderson would definitely be fine there on running downs as he's a big tough dude with good assignment and gap discipline, but he'd also definitely be a liability when asked to cover TEs in passing situations. He just doesn't have the speed or athleticism to keep up with the better TEs out there. Maybe you could play him on early downs and rotate him out for someone else in obvious passing situations? Problem with that is there are so many teams nowadays in the NFL that are passing on 1st and 2nd down and in short yardage situations. 

Are there any decent 4-3 LBs available in FA this year?

2 hours ago, redskinss said:

Here's a crazy thought, and I realize this is very madden like but could we possibly secure even more draft capital by trading down twice.

Detroit is sitting at three, they don't need a quarterback and you just know their aching to draft young, would it make sense to try to trade down one slot with them if they offered a decent return to get young and then trade down again to a quarterback needy team?

Any realistic chance that would net us a better return than just trading it once?

I'm in the draft young ourselves camp simply because I'm aching to see what that defensive front can do with him and good coaching, but if we could pull off a double trade and get a huge haul in return i think that would be pretty nice too.

Either way it's a great situation we're in with this pick I'm just curious if anybody thinks it's even a viable plan or totally unrealistic. 

I'm all for trading back as I am not sold 100% on CY but we do need a impact player bad. I want 2 # 1s and a 2 all high. No one would ever offer 3#1s and a 2.  I would want the best corner AND the best safety in the draft and I know that is not pos. The team I trade with has to take CY as I do not want to see him go to the Giants. We would also be taking that corner from the Giants in the draft.I would also want a #2 to pic up a O lineman. The Giant fans I know want the best LB. 

2 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I have been following Orchard since I saw him tearing up as he mentioned his family being through so much after his first game here. Now that's  guy I want to see stick, just for the paycheck.  

Yeah, he seems like a good dude and a guy that might help our depth.  

@Skinsinparadise

You mentioned Marcus Washington... I think JHC is the closest we have to that type.  I kept hoping he’d flash covering TEs, but he always seemed a step or two behind.  Very sure tackler though and he’s had some success as a blitzer.  Perhaps Anderson and JHC could rotate, but I’d worry about mismatch issues there.  

@KDawg Bostic is a FA I believe.  Perhaps we bring him back.  I could see SDH as insurance for Foster - he’s pretty quick, seems solid in coverage and can go downhill.  Good point about consistency though.  I’d be interested to see Holcomb at Mike, but I’m not sure how well he’d fit there.  Would love to find a stud there. 

@redskinss I wondered the same thing - if we trade with Detroit and then again with Miami.  Not sure how much Detroit would be willing to give up to get Young though, and no telling what happens with Tua/Miami.  Does he come out?  Would they trade up?  Do other teams try to jump ahead leading to a bidding war (in our favor)?

Detroit and Miami might not be willing to give up much considering their situations, but who knows.  Playing the long game, I’d be open to accepting future picks (though I want to add a 2nd or 3rd this year).   We’ve had some success with our middle round picks, so I’d be open to trading back multiple times without getting a major haul, add mid round picks and future picks, and taking a top OT (especially if Williams doesn’t return).  Still leaning toward taking Young though.  

Just now, skinny21 said:

wondered the same thing - if we trade with Detroit and then again with Miami.  Not sure how much Detroit would be willing to give up to get Young though, and no telling what happens with Tua/Miami

We'd have to make sure that whatever we got from Detroit plus the player we pick at 3 is equivalent or better for us than young.

As long as we do that working out a trade with Miami or maybe even a team that wants to jump Miami would just be gravy.

I think it's a little far fetched but we're certainly in position to pull something like that off because of where Detroit is and their specific needs.

On 12/29/2019 at 3:05 PM, clskinsfan said:

WHAT? He was an absolute monster against PSU. I am a PSU alum and I watched it first hand. He had NINE tackles. THREE sacks and TWO forced fumbles. Your son might need to freshen up on his football watching skills. And he wasnt against a single player. Young plays all over the field.

If you think the kid blocking CY was a good player, the RT for PS,  then you are right but he looked like his feet were in cement to me. Fine, he scooted around a slow RT but what happened in the last 3 games he played in? I know, he was triple teamed and chipped and every play was designed to be away from him.

1 hour ago, 50yrSKINSfan said:

If you think the kid blocking CY was a good player, the RT for PS,  then you are right but he looked like his feet were in cement to me. Fine, he scooted around a slow RT but what happened in the last 3 games he played in? I know, he was triple teamed and chipped and every play was designed to be away from him.

Is it your contention that to be an acceptable draft pick a pass rusher must have at least one sack in every game he played in during college?

39 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Maybe it is just me but I wont have a top ten grade on Jeudy. He drops too many passes. I will have a top ten grade on Lamb though.

Yeah I actually might take Lamb over Jeudy. Lamb is also an absolute monster after the catch when it comes to breaking tackles, etc and he doesn't have the drop issues that Jeudy does. However, I would say that Jeudy is a better route runner at this point, but not by a huge margin. 

Archived