Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Would you want HBO Hard Knocks to feature us this year?

LetThePointsSoar

The “Hard Knocks” life would be good for the Redskins.

The team needs to excite its fan base. Washington wants to promote its rookie quarterback as a franchise saver. It seeks a chance to return to the national narrative. And, ticket sales could certainly use a boost.

The HBO series does all of that as essentially a weekly infomercial during the preseason. Feared as exposing “insider” secrets, the series merely showcases several hopefuls trying to make the team, the brutal business of releasing players, and the profanity too often found in locker rooms.

But a real look at playbooks or chalkboards that can cost the team a game? Not in the least. And that’s why president Bruce Allen shouldn’t fear the program, but embrace the marketing opportunity. This team badly needs feel-good narratives after rampant season ticket loss in recent years that left FedEx Field too often vulnerable to visiting fan takeovers.

Even coach Jay Gruden doesn’t fear “Hard Knocks,” though he has been pushing his brother Jon Gruden and the Oakland Raiders as the best bet for the show. Detroit, San Francisco, and the New York Giants are also eligible.

“If we’re forced to do it, then obviously we’ll have to make it work,” Jay Gruden said. “You know, it’s a process that can be distracting at times, but, really they do an excellent job as far as keeping out of your business. So, it wouldn’t be the end of the world. I think our guys would probably have fun with it at the end of the day.”

Oh, who doesn’t want to hear Redskins inside linebackers coach Rob Ryan barking at players? Rookie quarterback Dwayne Haskins learning plays in the classroom before trying them on the field? Seventh-rounder cornerback Jimmy Moreland showing he deserves to make the team?

It’s just storytelling, and not much more insightful than daily information on the internet. The Redskins should embrace the chance to show they’re just a bunch of guys trying to have fun, make money and win games.

https://thefandc.radio.com/hbo-s-hard-knocks-would-be-good-redskins-rick-snider

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The team needs to excite its fan base. Washington wants to promote its rookie quarterback as a franchise saver. It seeks a chance to return to the national narrative.

Ok, Rick. Answer one question: When have the Redskins been in the national spotlight and not come off looking like an inept, dysfunctional mess?

I would love to see it. Hard Knocks is must watch tv regardless of who's on it. But the Redskins??  That would be awesome!!!   I want to see Snyder squirm when the cameras are around and on him. I want to hear that coward talk and be asked uncomfortable questions. I want to see Bruce Allen fumble and bumble all over himself so everyone can see how stupid he is.  But I also want to see Haskins win the job.  I want to see Guice win the job. I love that kid and he hasn't even played a game. I want to see Sweat. We have 3 guys right there that have the potential to be not only great players, but marketable players at impact positions.   That hasn't been the case around here in forever. I want to see Josh Norman, Rob Ryan. I want to see the drama of the wr position unfold. I want to see Holcolm win the job at ILB. I can keep going on but I really hope we are picked. Plenty of headlines coming for the 2019 camp. 

We're up against the huge NY market and Jon Gruden. As much as I'd love to see us on Hard Knocks, I just don't understand how we could be chosen over either of those teams. If they go with the Lions or Cards, I'll be extremely disappointed and would be really curious to know their reasoning.

4 hours ago, CTskin said:

We're up against the huge NY market and Jon Gruden. As much as I'd love to see us on Hard Knocks, I just don't understand how we could be chosen over either of those teams. If they go with the Lions or Cards, I'll be extremely disappointed and would be really curious to know their reasoning.

The cardinals can’t be chosen since they have a new head coach. That disqualifies them from being picked 

I used to be of the opinion that Hard Knocks would be a distraction to the coaches and players and I was against it.  But after the last 25 years under Dan Synder, what would Hard Knocks distract our team from?  Winning?  ROFL.  Bring on Hard Knocks, I want to see my team from behind the scenes.  

1 hour ago, volsmet said:

But it’s close enough to an old Tampa Bay Bucs design that it may intrigue the men & women of TB north. Nobody loves Tampa like the Skins love Tampa.

Tampa was the first thing I thought of when I saw that picture :ols:

1 hour ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

What could they possibly be waiting for to make the announcement on which team it is? Just make the dang announcement 😂 

Agreed.  It's beyond me, and you'd have to think logistically by now they HAVE to know where they're heading.  There's a lot of work that goes into getting it all put together. 

On 5/23/2019 at 6:31 PM, Skinsinparadise said:

Dolphins (2012): May 29

Bengals (2013): June 15

Falcons (2014): June 12

Texans (2015): May 27

Rams (2016): March 23

Bucs (2017): April 19

Browns (2018): May 17

Just wanted to quote this as we're now hitting the limits on when teams have been announced in the past. I'd also point out that the Bengals in 2013 were under the old system where teams had to volunteer. Starting with Atlanta in 2014, HBO could simply pick from the eligible teams. Not sure why it's so much later this year, maybe HBO/NFL are trying to convince some team to volunteer again?

Archived