Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Terry Mclaurin WR Ohio State

PCS

• 2 weeks later...

In one of the other threads (maybe the QB), there was discussion about how good Terry is and whether or not he’s a top 10 WR.  

Obviously, scheme and QB have a huge roll.  I don’t think many would argue that Cooper Cupp (I know his last name doesn’t start with C - my keyboard is giving me a hard time 😂) is not a top 10 WR.  But what if he wasn’t paired up with McVay?  What if he was stuck on the Bears or Jets these past few years.  How would he be viewed?  Conversely, Allen Robinson spent his prime with Bortles and Trubisky.  Gross.  Wasted talent.

There are some great receivers whose careers are sunsetting like Green and Julio Jones.

If you could start a team from scratch (ignore contracts) and need to be competitive for the next four years who would you take ahead of Terry.

I’d say Jefferson, Chase, Adams, Hill for sure.  I can see the argument for Brown.  I think many would say Diggs, and I can see that, but I think it’s closer than most will say.

Evans and Hopkins are studs but will be on the wrong side of if 30 for most of the next four years.

Another observation about Terry.  When he got here, our WR corp was in shambles.  Recall that he was drafted to be a special teamer to start.  If he got drafted on a team with a clear one (Green Bay, Houston, Tampa, etc) would he have had the opportunity to blow up?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ball Security said:

In one of the other threads (maybe the QB), there was discussion about how good Terry is and whether or not he’s a top 10 WR.  

Obviously, scheme and QB have a huge roll.  I don’t think many would argue that Cooper Cupp (I know his last name doesn’t start with C - my keyboard is giving me a hard time 😂) is not a top 10 WR.  But what if he wasn’t paired up with McVay?  What if he was stuck on the Bears or Jets these past few years.  How would he be viewed?  Conversely, Allen Robinson spent his prime with Bortles and Trubisky.  Gross.  Wasted talent.

There are some great receivers whose careers are sunsetting like Green and Julio Jones.

If you could start a team from scratch (ignore contracts) and need to be competitive for the next four years who would you take ahead of Terry.

I’d say Jefferson, Chase, Adams, Hill for sure.  I can see the argument for Brown.  I think many would say Diggs, and I can see that, but I think it’s closer than most will say.

Evans and Hopkins are studs but will be on the wrong side of if 30 for most of the next four years.

Another observation about Terry.  When he got here, our WR corp was in shambles.  Recall that he was drafted to be a special teamer to start.  If he got drafted on a team with a clear one (Green Bay, Houston, Tampa, etc) would he have had the opportunity to blow up?

Great post.  Agree so much.  My view (no order):

He’s definitely below these guys:

Jefferson, Chase, Hill, Adams, Diggs, Kupp

These guys are his peers: 

Brown, Lamb, St. Brown, Waddle

He’s definitely above these guys:

Higgins, Pittman, Kirk, Evans, Moore, Olave, Deebo, Hopkins, Aiyuk, Metcalf

In his peer group, the only guy I’d take over him is AJ Brown and even that is up for debate.

He’s 100% a top 10 WR and frankly, we have no idea how good he could actually be thanks to his QB room.

• Like 2

Kupp is a weird case. He's good but he benefits a ton from that Ram offensive system and they were just force feeding him balls at a crazy high rate this year because they had literally no other reliable weapon. I'm not saying McLaurin is better or worse, but it'd be interesting to see how McVay would utilize him.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

Kupp is a weird case. He's good but he benefits a ton from that Ram offensive system and they were just force feeding him balls at a crazy high rate this year because they had literally no other reliable weapon. I'm not saying McLaurin is better or worse, but it'd be interesting to see how McVay would utilize him.

Agree with this too.  For me, Kupp is above the line I draw where I just have to credit the stats over any eyeball test result.  To say it differently, I think they’re pretty similar level talents and wonder what it would look like if they had flip-flopped teams for their career, but Kupp has been so productive recently I can’t even entertain putting Terry above him.

There’s no way Kupp puts up those numbers in Terry’s situation in my mind though.

• Like 3

Terry's only limitation is he isn't some psycho freak athlete some of the guys clearly above him are.

But let's be clear...there aren't many above him even with that advantage.

The "what if Kupp is here" question is why I'd say Terry is better then him, his ceiling is probably matching Diggs of the current list (he's seriously starting to look like a more personable version of Diggs).

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

He's just barely below them though.

The only athletically superior uber freaks IMO are Tyreek, Jefferson, and Chase.

Tyreek for speed, obviously.  Jefferson has more hip wiggle than probably any receiver I’ve ever seen.  He just has freak core flexibility to move in ways that humans aren’t supposed to.  And Chase is just a perfectly balanced package of strength and speed.  He’s like the prototype action figure you would choose for a WR.

Terry is kinda like Chase, just down one tier athletically from uber freak to super freak.

• Like 3

@86 Snyder and Terry obviously works like a freak to maximize what he is good at and minimize the weaker parts of his game. 

And whatever it is he punks all pro CBs regularly. Now part of that is the new rule emphasis s but it sure is nice to have a bonifide stud. 

Plus he isn't a primadonna at all which is freakish in and of itself lol

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

@86 Snyder and Terry obviously works like a freak to maximize what he is good at and minimize the weaker parts of his game. 

And whatever it is he punks all pro CBs regularly. Now part of that is the new rule emphasis s but it sure is nice to have a bonifide stud. 

Plus he isn't a primadonna at all which is freakish in and of itself lol

Absolutely man.  The work ethic and leadership are all part of the package.  And he definitely has that dog in him too.  He’s got a my ball mentality.  Not a single soft about him.  Terry’s a straight up baller.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

On 11/19/2022 at 6:07 PM, 86 Snyder said:

Absolutely man.  The work ethic and leadership are all part of the package.  And he definitely has that dog in him too.  He’s got a my ball mentality.  Not a single soft about him.  Terry’s a straight up baller.

I think you can argue there are some guys that are more dangerous with the ball in their hands, some guys with more natural hands, some guys that are more sudden in their breaks, etc, but Terry is a rare breed in that he’s (at minimum) very good in every single area.  No weakness to his game, plus he’s la crème de la crème in terms of intangibles.

He plays better and is more productive with Heinicke at QB than Wentz.  Teams go single high against Heinicke and two deep on Wentz, and single high gives Terry more opportunities for big plays.  The offense just operates better under Heinicke.  Wentz seemed to have more of a rapport with Samuel than Terry too, whereas Heinicke clearly trusts and looks for Terry the most.  It also helps that we are running the ball better and it helps that Samuel is out there providing a second threat.  Defenses have to go with a heavy box to stop the run and that opens up slants and deep crosser space for Terry and those are two of his best types of routes. And getting singled up on corners when the safety can't just key on him is a win most of the time because his build up speed and functional strength is better than most corners can handle.

Couple all of that together with him coming into his own as a team leader, and you have one of the most valuable players on our roster hitting his prime and dominating and helping to power wins.  Our good 2017 to 2019 draft picks are in their primes now, and they're most of the reason our team is good this year.

I want to see Terry get All Pro this year.  The AP named five receivers last season, and I want to see Terry get one of the five spots this year.  But to do it, we're going to have to keep winning and make a run to the playoffs.  It's going to be tough because Diggs, Jefferson, and Hill are the first team locks,  but with Adams on a bad team, Kupp going down with injury, the Seattle passing offense being very up and down, Chase getting hurt, Deebo banged up and having his production poached by McCaffrey, and AJ Brown also getting a little banged up--there is daylight for Terry to finish the season strong and get one of the spots.  We have to keep winning though.  And we need Terry to have a monster stretch where he catches a bunch of TDs to make his case, because Adams will still probably get one of the nods and it will be between Terry, Brown, Waddle, and Lamb for the last spot.  And the other guys are on teams with better records and an easier road to the postseason.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Going Commando said:

He plays better and is more productive with Heinicke at QB than Wentz.  Teams go single high against Heinicke and two deep on Wentz, and single high gives Terry more opportunities for big plays.  The offense just operates better under Heinicke.  Wentz seemed to have more of a rapport with Samuel than Terry too, whereas Heinicke clearly trusts and looks for Terry the most.  It also helps that we are running the ball better and it helps that Samuel is out there providing a second threat.  Defenses have to go with a heavy box to stop the run and that opens up slants and deep crosser space for Terry and those are two of his best types of routes. And getting singled up on corners when the safety can't just key on him is a win most of the time because his build up speed and functional strength is better than most corners can handle.

Couple all of that together with him coming into his own as a team leader, and you have one of the most valuable players on our roster hitting his prime and dominating and helping to power wins.  Our good 2017 to 2019 draft picks are in their primes now, and they're most of the reason our team is good this year.

I want to see Terry get All Pro this year.  The AP named five receivers last season, and I want to see Terry get one of the five spots this year.  But to do it, we're going to have to keep winning and make a run to the playoffs.  It's going to be tough because Diggs, Jefferson, and Hill are the first team locks,  but with Adams on a bad team, Kupp going down with injury, the Seattle passing offense being very up and down, Chase getting hurt, Deebo banged up and having his production poached by McCaffrey, and AJ Brown also getting a little banged up--there is daylight for Terry to finish the season strong and get one of the spots.  We have to keep winning though.  And we need Terry to have a monster stretch where he catches a bunch of TDs to make his case, because Adams will still probably get one of the nods and it will be between Terry, Brown, Waddle, and Lamb for the last spot.  And the other guys are on teams with better records and an easier road to the postseason.

He’s not catching enough touchdowns to be all-pro. 

I think Diggs, Hill, Jefferson, Adams and Waddle are just about locks if they don’t consider Kupp due to the injury. 

Lamb has more media coverage so he’s probably closer to the conversation. Terry will need to get in the end zone 8-10 more times and be at about 1300 yards or more to sneak in there. Not sure he can do that with Heinicke but hey, a great philosopher by the name of Kevin Garnett once said, “ANNNYYYYTTHHHIIIIINNNNGGGGG ISSS POSSSSSSSIIIIIBBBBBBLLLLLEEEEEEE!” 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Going Commando said:

Our good 2017 to 2019 draft picks are in their primes now, and they're most of the reason our team is good this year.

This is the reason I vehemently disagree Vinny was ever “better” than Bruce. They both were terrible at the end of the day but the core of our team right now is Terry, Sweat, Allen, and Payne. All 4 drafted by that regime. Vinny didn’t draft a single dude as good as that, unless he drafted or had something to do with Samuels. But Bruce was also around for Trent, even though he was a figure head at best at that point.

1 hour ago, CommanderCarson said:

This is the reason I vehemently disagree Vinny was ever “better” than Bruce. They both were terrible at the end of the day but the core of our team right now is Terry, Sweat, Allen, and Payne. All 4 drafted by that regime. Vinny didn’t draft a single dude as good as that, unless he drafted or had something to do with Samuels. But Bruce was also around for Trent, even though he was a figure head at best at that point.

I'm fairly certain it was Kyle Smith who pushed for Sweat. Allen was a pawn for Snyder who wanted Haskins.

• Like 2