Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Terry Mclaurin WR Ohio State

PCS

FWIW, wide receiver tag this year is $18.4 mil.  Speculation is like $20 mil next year cause if things collapse seems he'd be cheaper on a tag.  Don't think that usually works that way with tags.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2022/04/20/terry-mclaurin-contract-market-value/

Corry believes Moore’s three-year, $61.88 million contract, which includes $41.2 million in fully guaranteed money, should be the benchmark for McLaurin. Jason Fitzgerald, the founder of contract website OvertheCap.com, agrees, and he envisions McLaurin getting an average payout of roughly $21 million to $22 million.

Heading into the preseason without a deal in place could create tension between Washington and its star wide receiver, and using a franchise tag on him would cost roughly $20 million, all guaranteed.

Edited by HigSkin

From the business side, Terry is 27 and getting 3M in 22'. His market value is 22-24M. They're saving 20M by not extending him. It will cost about 20M to franchise him when hes 28. It will cost another 25-27M to franchise him a second time when he's 29. Total is 48-50M to keep him for 3 more seasons. That's virtually guaranteed money minimum. There's no incentive to guarantee more than that in negotiations (first of all). Secondarily, do you want to pay him 22+M at age 30? If not, just stall negotiations and force him to play. If you want him to age 32, that means extend him now for 5 more years and 50M guaranteed with structured cap friendly bonus. Does make the way for a hardball scenario, but the guy can be a HOF'er with a good QB so they should pay him now.

• Like 3

On 5/26/2022 at 10:16 PM, TheShredder said:

From the business side, Terry is 27 and getting 3M in 22'. His market value is 22-24M. They're saving 20M by not extending him. It will cost about 20M to franchise him when hes 28. It will cost another 25-27M to franchise him a second time when he's 29. Total is 48-50M to keep him for 3 more seasons. That's virtually guaranteed money minimum. There's no incentive to guarantee more than that in negotiations (first of all). Secondarily, do you want to pay him 22+M at age 30? If not, just stall negotiations and force him to play. If you want him to age 32, that means extend him now for 5 more years and 50M guaranteed with structured cap friendly bonus. Does make the way for a hardball scenario, but the guy can be a HOF'er with a good QB so they should pay him now.

Good post but Terry is 26.

1 minute ago, Vanguard said:

He’s already older than most people think.

Yeah he's not a youngster.  He's going to get paid.  I think their dilemma is deciding if they want him for 3 years or 5.  If you want him here for the long haul, lock him down now as the market is going to be even more crazy later. He's the second guy who I would expect to get paid and play better! Allen was the first. 

• Like 2

He will never see the money on the back end of his contract on a 4 or 5 year deal as the G money will be exhausted.

I'd be cool signing him to a 4 or 5 yr deal now, knowing I can walk away in years 4 or 5 with a slap on the wrist or virtually no penalty. If he aint worth it at that time/age, move on, If he is, you have him under contract. If you give him a 3 year deal, your doing this whole song and dance again in 2 years, but you will be even closer to the regression wall and less willing to to shell out G money.

• Like 1

I posted a while back that with his age, I can imagine Mclaurin and his agent will want to be able to get a new deal around the time he hits 30.

My suggestion would be to give him a a shorter term deal now, 3 year 60-65mil in total. Fully guarantee the lot with a caveat in there for injury in years 2/3 maybe. That way he gets to negotiate a new deal in 3 years. Add a couple of voidable years on to spread the cap hit if needs be.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

I posted a while back that with his age, I can imagine Mclaurin and his agent will want to be able to get a new deal around the time he hits 30.

My suggestion would be to give him a a shorter term deal now, 3 year 60-65mil in total. Fully guarantee the lot with a caveat in there for injury in years 2/3 maybe. That way he gets to negotiate a new deal in 3 years. Add a couple of voidable years on to spread the cap hit if needs be.

That just sounds like a silly deal.

Only reason players are getting large guaranteed money is because they have the leverage. McLaurin actually doesn't have that kind of leverage. He's under contract and can't afford the loss of a playing year to hold out. He'd lose 20M that he'd never have the chance to earn back. QBs can do that but WRs can't. WSH controls him for the next 3 years for between 48-50M depending on exact amounts of WR franchise tags, so there's no reason to guarantee anymore than that. Remember they just did that with Scherff. They could do it again, but everyone hopes he gets a LTD.

23 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

He's under contract and can't afford the loss of a playing year to hold out.

He only needs to show for 6 games to accrue the season. Without a new deal I wouldn’t expect to see him on the field before November. He’d even be a candidate for trade before the trade deadline around that time.

Terry is the face of the franchise (along with Allen, Young, and now Wentz). If he wants to be here then they will get a deal done and nothing that he's said so far makes it sound like he doesn't want to be here. I'm confident that he will sign a LTD in the coming months.

Disclaimer: I have to admit that I also thought Cousins would sign a LTD back in the day, so make of that what you will.

Like everyone, I hope Terry signs a LTD. 

But, If I'm Terry's agent, I'm playing hardball and asking WAS for like $25-mil per year to stick around...somewhere between AJ Brown and Tyreek Hill money. 

If the team balks, fine. Take the Cousins/Scherff route and play on the tag for 2-years and then move on to greener pastures. 

That's the playbook for maxing out compensation here and parlaying that into a big payday somewhere that isn't a ****-show. If his agent isn't at least presenting that as an option to Terry, he isn't doing his job. 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

57 minutes ago, formerly4skins said:

Like everyone, I hope Terry signs a LTD. 

But, If I'm Terry's agent, I'm playing hardball and asking WAS for like $25-mil per year to stick around...somewhere between AJ Brown and Tyreek Hill money. 

If the team balks, fine. Take the Cousins/Scherff route and play on the tag for 2-years and then move on to greener pastures. 

That's the playbook for maxing out compensation here and parlaying that into a big payday somewhere that isn't a ****-show. If his agent isn't at least presenting that as an option to Terry, he isn't doing his job. 

Terry is gone after the 24 season. His eventual replacement was drafted this year; though I would expect the same thing to happen to Jahan, if he’s as good or better than Terry.

• Thumb up 1

If RR and Co. don't sign Terry to a 3 year deal and I agree with @Est.1974 due to Terry's age, then this team will have trouble signing any players drafted or signed during FA to any LTDs.  This sets an extremely bad precedence with and for our organization in the future.  I don't expect a new contract until after June 1st and no later than Jun 15th.  This is when RR and Co. do business for LTDs.  This one I think has to do with the money off the books for the release of Landon Collins which occurs after June 1st.   

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RWJ said:

If RR and Co. don't sign Terry to a 3 year deal and I agree with @Est.1974 due to Terry's age, then this team will have trouble signing any players drafted or signed during FA to any LTDs.  This sets an extremely bad precedence with and for our organization in the future.  I don't expect a new contract until after June 1st and no later than Jun 15th.  This is when RR and Co. do business for LTDs.  This one I think has to do with the money off the books for the release of Landon Collins which occurs after June 1st.   

Agreed. The topic is both rebuilding a culture and having players buy in to this program. Terry deserves to be very well rewarded. He is homegrown talent who has been a leader on the field, works hard, producer, and reps the team well off the field. If you don't reward guys like him, then everyone becomes a mercenary. He has walked the walk. Give him a 5 year $90m contract with 50m guaranteed. Terry gets his money and yet won't have to worry about seeking a living at age 31

5 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

Agreed. The topic is both rebuilding a culture and having players buy in to this program. Terry deserves to be very well rewarded. He is homegrown talent who has been a leader on the field, works hard, producer, and reps the team well off the field. If you don't reward guys like him, then everyone becomes a mercenary. He has walked the walk. Give him a 5 year $90m contract with 50m guaranteed. Terry gets his money and yet won't have to worry about seeking a living at age 31

I think he's going to get the money, and I think it's going to be in the next couple of weeks.  I think they really wanted that Collins cap room to clear before they did it.  

I'm not sure that I agree fully about it really effecting future moves.  Just about every move is individual.  If they throw big money at others, they will sign.  Money talks, bull**** walks.

But I do expect them to get something done.  When both sides want it, it typically happens.  And Terry's side wants it because they know if they don't get it, they give up $20M of total comp on his career they will NEVER get back.  And the Commanders want him because he's good.  

So, it will happen.  

14 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

He will never see the money on the back end of his contract on a 4 or 5 year deal as the G money will be exhausted.

I'd be cool signing him to a 4 or 5 yr deal now, knowing I can walk away in years 4 or 5 with a slap on the wrist or virtually no penalty. If he aint worth it at that time/age, move on, If he is, you have him under contract. If you give him a 3 year deal, your doing this whole song and dance again in 2 years, but you will be even closer to the regression wall and less willing to to shell out G money.

The deal is going to be structured like the Diggs extension, is my guess.  The difference is Diggs had 2 years left, Terry has one.

But what they did is guaranteed a whole bunch at signing, gave him a signing bonus, and then guaranteed a few more years.

But they didn't adjust his current salary amounts, those were left the same.

So in Terry's case, they'll give him something like a 4 year extension, which really kicks in in 2023.  So it's 5 total years including the current year he's already under contract.

Then they will take the signing bonus, whatever it is, say $50M for arguments sake, and spread it over the 5 years.  So his first year salary cap hit would be $13M (with his $2.7M salary for 2022 + pro-rated signing bonus), which is team friendly.

His base salaries increase starting in 2023, but the AAV includes the signing bonus, so it's not like his 2023 salary will be $25M.  More like $15M.  

My guess is 2023 and 2024 are fully guaranteed (and obviously 2022), and those 2 years, + the signing bonus = ~$80M in total guarantees at signing.  

That would be about market.  Maybe a bit above what a few guys got, but in the ballpark.  

When they get to years 3 and 4 of the extension, which would be 2025 and 2026, most likely those years are not guaranteed, so they could get out of the deal with the hit of just the remaining signing bonus, ~$20M.Which they could spread over 2 years.  Of course, they could extend him again, or he could play out the last 2 years. 

If they end up franchising McLaurin like they did with Cousins and Sherff this is probably not a Rivera thing, but a Dan thing. Not many teams are doing this with their best players over and over. Usually, they try to resign them EARLY and save some money. While this team waits until it's almost too late, then pretends that signing the player is no problem. They'll get it done in June, until they don't. 

Whoops!!!

12 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

He only needs to show for 6 games to accrue the season. Without a new deal I wouldn’t expect to see him on the field before November. He’d even be a candidate for trade before the trade deadline around that time.

I guess you believe Terry is stupid enough to throw away 20M he'll never see again. That's just not logical nor consistent with his personality type. This isn't Antonio Brown and Terry McLaurin isn't a top 10 WR, though fans believe he is.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

The deal is going to be structured like the Diggs extension, is my guess.  The difference is Diggs had 2 years left, Terry has one.

But what they did is guaranteed a whole bunch at signing, gave him a signing bonus, and then guaranteed a few more years.

But they didn't adjust his current salary amounts, those were left the same.

So in Terry's case, they'll give him something like a 4 year extension, which really kicks in in 2023.  So it's 5 total years including the current year he's already under contract.

Then they will take the signing bonus, whatever it is, say $50M for arguments sake, and spread it over the 5 years.  So his first year salary cap hit would be $13M (with his $2.7M salary for 2022 + pro-rated signing bonus), which is team friendly.

His base salaries increase starting in 2023, but the AAV includes the signing bonus, so it's not like his 2023 salary will be $25M.  More like $15M.  

My guess is 2023 and 2024 are fully guaranteed (and obviously 2022), and those 2 years, + the signing bonus = ~$80M in total guarantees at signing.  

That would be about market.  Maybe a bit above what a few guys got, but in the ballpark.  

When they get to years 3 and 4 of the extension, which would be 2025 and 2026, most likely those years are not guaranteed, so they could get out of the deal with the hit of just the remaining signing bonus, ~$20M.Which they could spread over 2 years.  Of course, they could extend him again, or he could play out the last 2 years. 

That sounds completely logical. If you're WSH going into negotiations it's "Terry, you've outplayed your contract on and off the field. We want you here as the leader that you've proven you are and we're prepared to pay you over 10 times what your current contract is and above and beyond your NFL rank because you mean that much to the organization." Then they offer 10x extension with his current salary plus Franchise years 1 & 2 guaranteed, with salary structured at market comps, plus bonus insensitive. If him and his agent play hardball, then they can say well 'We'd consider paying you as the best WR in the NFL but you're not there yet. Maybe it is because you haven't had a good enough QB, but Wentz is here and if you want to wait then we understand.' 

I don't think the argument goes much past that. They can try to negotiate for awhile and see how much movement is there but at the end of the day Terry needs this extension now more than WSH needs to overpay.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, SkinsFTW said:

If they end up franchising McLaurin like they did with Cousins and Sherff this is probably not a Rivera thing, but a Dan thing. Not many teams are doing this with their best players over and over. Usually, they try to resign them EARLY and save some money. While this team waits until it's almost too late, then pretends that signing the player is no problem. They'll get it done in June, until they don't. 

Whoops!!!

The thing is, and I’ve detailed this before, for the Commanders, the franchise tag for Terry isn’t the worst scenario for them.  They would get this year super cheap, then 2 more at market value.

Even if he walks after that, you’ve got 6 years out of Terry for a bargain.  You want more but it’s not the end of the world.

For Terry, it’s a disaster.  He would lose $20M this year which he would never get back, still be under control for 2 more years and be looking for his first big payday in his late 20”s.

Terry needs this deal more than the commanders need to give it to him.  I think this fact is lost on most people. 

If I was the team and Terry’s agent came in and said his comp was Tyreek Hill, I’d ask him how he liked making 2.7M this year and 2 franchise tags.  

I think this gets done because I don’t see McLaurin as massively unreasonable.  And the team wants it.  But the team has the leverage.  And as long as they don’t squeeze Terry, which I don’t see then doing, I think its really Terry’s side which is gong to have to capitulate more than the Commanders. 

To your point about doing it early, they’re doing it as early as the can.  I don’t believe You can’t extend a rookie before the final year of their rookie contract.  This is Terry’s final year so they can extend him.  The rule is there to maintain the rookie wage scale. 

Where the team has previously screwed up is they have allowed players they want to extend to play out their final year, either 5th year option for Scherff (that was Bruce) or 4th year (cousins).

They are trying to be more proactive under Ron.  They are trying with Terry.  We’ll see about Payne.  I think you’re going to see an extension for Holcomb this off season as well.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The issue goes beyond financial considerations though. Terry is a leader on this team, an absolute fan favorite. If you don't pay this man, this does not only cause uproar among the fans but probably among the players as well. If you tell him that you'd franchise him several times if he doesn't sign a "reasonable" deal from the team's perspective, that
will not go unnoticed around the league and will make it harder for us to sign other players as well.

I hope they'll get a deal done and I am also positive they will. But this situation is not just about money. Especially since the team has absolutely no credit line with the current fan base. Not getting a deal done will be a problem.

Also we could have gotten the deal done. You can extend a player after his third season in the league, which was in January. AJ Brown was also drafted in 2019 and already signed a new contract with the Eagles.

21 hours ago, TheShredder said:

I guess you believe Terry is stupid enough to throw away 20M he'll never see again. That's just not logical nor consistent with his personality type. This isn't Antonio Brown and Terry McLaurin isn't a top 10 WR, though fans believe he is.

He isn’t top ten because of the QB’s he’s played with.  If he wasn’t on this team we’d have nothing at wide receiver.

Edited by Vanguard