Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PED's in Sports: should they be legalized?

No Excuses

PED's  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Legalize?

• Yes
    • No

Been thinking about this for a while. Should we still ban PED's in major sports?

There have been rumors swirling around the NBA for a while that players are doping. It was in George Karl's autobiography, Derrick Rose pretty much admitted to this and other athletes like Rip Hamilton have also suggested this to be the case. Here's a quote from Karl's book:

"I’m talking about performance-enhancing drugs—like steroids, human growth hormone, and so on. It’s obvious some of our players are doping. How are some guys getting older—yet thinner and fitter? How are they recovering from injuries so fast? Why the hell are they going to Germany in the offseason? I doubt it’s for the sauerkraut.
"More likely it’s for the newest, hard-to-detect blood boosters and PEDs they have in Europe. Unfortunately, drug testing always seems to be a couple steps behind drug hiding. Lance Armstrong never failed a drug test.”

I personally have arrived at the view that performance enhancement drugs should be legalized, provided you have a certified doctor who is administering them. You can ban the back alley stuff, but I really don't think this should be frowned upon if you have medical professionals involved.

If players are doing this anyways, why not legalize it, even the playing field, involve doctors and provide resources/information on safe practices and even invest in this kind of research?

Some of my evolution on this comes from my own scientific experience, where I have recently seen a huge amount of progress/interest in capabilities related to enhancing physical and cognitive performance in healthy subjects, particularly extremely fit people (astronauts, etc). We are fundamentally entering a new era of personalized athletics soon that will enable humans to track their physiology at the molecular level and enhance it to improve performance. So why put the limits on what's possible in sports? I want to see athletes do cool **** and if a new generation of PED's enable that, great. Let's see it.

As soon as PED's wille be legalized Sport will stop to be a role model.

Icarus was a Greek mythological figure who tried to escape imprisonment in Crete with his father Daedalus, using wings Daedalus crafted out of feathers and wax. Daedalus warned Icarus not too fly too close to the sun or too low to the sea. Overwhelmed with the excitement of flying, Icarus flew much too high, and as a result the wax melted and his feathers fell off. Down Icarus plunged into the sea, and indeed into death as well. The story of Icarus is often used to signify the dangers of over-ambition.

Mo' Money, Mo' roids, Mo' HGH, Mo' records, Mo' fame, Mo' Mo' Mo', until ...........

I will always be against steroid use in sports. It’s cheating plain and simple and it's not a true representation of how good someone is in a sport. Plus, if you legalize it, players will almost be forced to use it to keep up which is not right. 

3 minutes ago, Hersh said:

I will always be against steroid use in sports. It’s cheating plain and simple and it's not a true representation of how good someone is in a sport. Plus, if you legalize it, players will almost be forced to use it to keep up which is not right. 

The better off you are financially as an athlete, the better access you have to physical trainers, nutritionists etc. who absolutely enhance your performance in comparison to peers who don't have access to these resources due to money.

I think this is especially apparent at the international stage among athletes in different countries but I also think it likely impacts sports in the US too.

I would like to think that PED's can actually even the playing field, rather than distorting it, if everyone has access to them.

1 minute ago, No Excuses said:

The better off you are financially as an athlete, the better access you have to physical trainers, nutritionists etc. who absolutely enhance your performance in comparison to peers who don't have access to these resources due to money.

I think this is especially apparent at the international stage among athletes in different countries but I also think it likely impacts sports in the US too.

I would like to think that PED's can actually even the playing field, rather than distorting it, if everyone has access to them.

Legalizing steroids, doping and other PEDs wouldn't set an even bar imo,  I believe money will still make the difference,. There will be athletes who will be able to afford the best meds,  researchers sorcerer's apprentices, genetic engineering, and the others who won't.

6 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

That’s nonsense. “If everyone has access to them?” Based on your premise, which isn’t accurate, well off athletes would just have the best PEDs.

Once an athlete gets to college, they will have access to plenty of resources. Once these athletes go pro, same thing. 

4 minutes ago, FrFan said:

Legalizing steroids, doping and other PEDs wouldn't set an even bar imo,  I believe money will still make the difference,. There will be athletes who will be able to afford the best meds,  researchers sorcerer's apprentices, genetic engineering, and the others who won't.

What evens the playing field is eliminating PEDs. 

Nope.

Athletic competition is supposed to be about human beings testing the limits of the human body against each other in a competition that is expected to be fair so as to see which is better. Better being through hard work and / o talent increasing skills.. not an artificial enhancement of said skills..

There should not be any enhancement beyond safety equipment.

I am not one to ever use the 'role model' reasoning. But in this case it is not so much about role models, as role models are an individual thing.   but if the entirety of the sport says that taking these drugs or injecting this steroid is the ONLY way to be competitive.. then the damage done to the youth is immeasurable.

On a more personal note..  isn't it time as a culture we stopped looking for ways to cheat and rewarding those who do?

we have ZERO integrity. 
NONE.

we're a nation governed by laws that tells it's people the best way to get ahead is to break as many as necessary without getting caught.

Tell me. What the **** is there to believe in?

~Bang

1 hour ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

Yes. No one has a strong reason why they shouldn't either.

What about the players that don't want to put that crap in their bodies then can't compete with the ones that do?  I'm open to something like HGH for helping recover from injuries and maybe even extending careers.  But straight steroid use I can't get behind.

I don't think I can sit here and make a compelling argument as to why, but I hate the idea of legalizing PEDs. 

Why would we do this? So that fans can see longer HRs, harder hits on WRs, or cooler dunks? When the entertainment value becomes more important than the competition, a sport has ceased to be a sport, IMO. 

The WWE (then WWF) encouraged or allowed PEDs and that's right around the place where I believe they belong. Staged events, TV shows, reality TV, WWE...fine. Go for it. It's more about optics than outcomes. But, a legitimate professional sports league? No way.

22 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

What about the players that don't want to put that crap in their bodies then can't compete with the ones that do?  I'm open to something like HGH for helping recover from injuries and maybe even extending careers.  But straight steroid use I can't get behind.

Then don't put that crap in your body. Just because its legalized doesn't mean you have to use it.

Just now, Renegade7 said:

That's your counter?  Because it insinuates phasing out everyone that doesn't want to do it.  

I am not sure what you want me to say since you presented a false narrative. Legalizing PEDs does not mean everyone has to use it, which is what you said.

Also, do we know that PEDs make people superhuman mutants? Is Terrence Ferguson about to surpass Paul George on the Thunder because of PED use? 

Archived