Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 MLB Thread

ixcuincle

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2022/12/22/trevor-bauer-reinstated/

Trevor Bauer is reinstated immediately as arbitrator reduces suspension

An arbitrator reduced Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher Trevor Bauer’s two-season suspension Thursday, resulting in the immediate reinstatement of the 2020 National League Cy Young Award winner.

Arbitrator Martin Scheinman reduced Bauer’s unpaid suspension from 324 games to 194, Major League Baseball announced. Bauer is cleared to return for the start of the 2023 season — 144 games after he was suspended without pay — but his salary will be prorated so that he is effectively not paid for the first 50 games.

The reduced suspension, which will cost Bauer an estimated $37.5 million in salary, is still the longest in the seven-year history of MLB’s domestic violence policy, trumping pitcher Sam Dyson’s 162-game ban in 2021. Bauer was the first player to appeal a suspension under the policy.

Scheinman’s decision is the end of the latest chapter of a legal saga that has spanned 18 months for Bauer, much of which he spent on the offensive against his accusers, and is a mixed result for MLB. It suspended Bauer in April after three women publicly accused him of sexual assault. After Bauer appealed, Scheinman examined MLB’s case against him in confidential, months-long proceedings.

I would be shocked if the Dodgers keep him. Not sure if MLB has a franchise that would take this baggage on. 

18 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2022/12/22/trevor-bauer-reinstated/

Trevor Bauer is reinstated immediately as arbitrator reduces suspension

I would be shocked if the Dodgers keep him. Not sure if MLB has a franchise that would take this baggage on. 

Someone will take him.  The Cubs and Yankees employed Chapman after he shot at his girlfriend/wife.  Ozuna still plays.  Some team will take the PR hit.

• 2 weeks later...

🤔 

Somehow the Giants are not looking so bad now about having concerns. Too bad Correa bailed on them and didn't give them the time he's giving the Mets. 

---

MLB is so dumb. This should kill teams. Yet there is 3 of 4 who can do this every year and feel no pain. You should feel pain when you sign pond scum.

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Thanks 1

On 1/6/2023 at 8:02 PM, The Evil Genius said:

MLB is so dumb. This should kill teams. Yet there is 3 of 4 who can do this every year and feel no pain. You should feel pain when you sign pond scum.

MLB needs a cap and a floor. It need more competitive balance that will bring--you can eliminate just about half of every division in baseball on opening day. It needs protection from the Nuttings as well as the Cohens.

11 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

****ing nuts.

2 teams medical staffs have killed signing him long term. Caveat emptor.

It's half the duration of the SF and NYM deals though.  Depending on the medical concern (something likely to pop up 5-6 years down the road vs any moment now type of thing), it could make sense for Min.

I get that and I'm glad a smaller market team ended up keeping their star. I'm still bitter at Judge staying and then SF getting raked over the coals by national media when Correa walked away from his agreement with them to jump to the Mets when SF doctors had concerns. 

Will media end up making this about the Mets too? Probably not.

• 1 month later...
On 2/27/2023 at 8:06 PM, abdcskins said:

Gavin Lux messed up his knee pretty bad today running the bases, looks like a tell tale ACL tear.  Rough way for the Dodgers to start spring training.  Other than Freeman at 1B I don't like their infielders.

It’s a shame about Lux.  His career has had a difficult time taking off.

It’s also a shame that the Dodgers are cheap and let two All-Star SS walk for nothing in back to back years. 😳

9 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I love the pitch timer. 

I love that pitchers are being forced to throw the ****ing ball and batters have to stay ready to hit.

Nothing like having to watch Aroldis Chapman suck wind for what seems like a full minute between pitches. 

I would have hoped that MLB could have leaned on umpires to encourage pace of play without a clock but oh well. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TheDoyler23 said:

I love that pitchers are being forced to throw the ****ing ball and batters have to stay ready to hit.

Nothing like having to watch Aroldis Chapman suck wind for what seems like a full minute between pitches. 

I would have hoped that MLB could have leaned on umpires to encourage pace of play without a clock but oh well. 

I like the clock because it takes it out of the umps hands. They failed when they were supposed to keep guys in the box.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ball Security said:

It’s a shame about Lux.  His career has had a difficult time taking off.

It’s also a shame that the Dodgers are cheap and let two All-Star SS walk for nothing in back to back years. 😳

The Dodgers are cheap? 🤔

They have had the highest team payroll the last 3 seasons. 

• 3 weeks later...

Cuba three straight infield hits to start the game. Now Wainwright walks the cleanup hitter. Really tough spit. Still no outs bases loaded. ****.

Wainwright got out of it! Now Goldschmidt goes deep!!!! Knocked in Betts who led off with a double.

Turner goes deep!!!!  3-1 USA!

USA bats have absolutely blown this game up, 12-2 in the 6th inning.  USA will be going to the championship game!  Get the winner of Mexico vs. Japan tomorrow.

Edited by abdcskins

Super clutch 3 run HR by Japan (Yoshida) in the bottom of the 7th inning to tie Mexico! 3-3 headed to the 8th.

And Mexico immediately retakes the lead wow. Back to back doubles by Arozarena and Verdugo.

Late rally by Japan!  They win, will face USA in the final!  

Edited by abdcskins
  • Like 1

I think I'll pay more attention to the WBC next time it's on.  

I did watch last night's game and while I think it was cool to see Ohtani square off against Trout...I don't think Trout stood much of a chance.  I don't think ANYONE would have stood much of a chance with the way Ohtani was dealing last night.  It wasn't much of a battle.