Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 MLB Thread

ixcuincle

1 hour ago, bcl05 said:

I bet Trea is worth every dollar of that deal.  I hate it for the Nats, but I'm happy for him.  Such a cool, awesome, fun player.  Ugh.  I still hate the phils, but can't hate him.  Not his fault that he left...

He may earn his money.  But he did regress in 2022 from 2021.  Can he maintain a 4ish WAR in his mid 30s to early 40s?

He’s a tough guy to comp for because his skill set is rather unique.  Can’t think of too many guys who rely so much on speed play at a high level in their 30s.

But who knows?  Utility IFers may be making 20-30M a year in a decade.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

Pleased with the move as a diehard Yankee fan.

A Yankees fan myself…. but I just can’t bring myself to be pleased with a 9-year contract. This is going to end horribly. 

Judge stays healthy his contract year… of course. Now watch what happens moving forward.

This team can’t score runs without Judge. I’ll concede. But it’s going to prevent the team from fixing its flaws…. which means this was about filling the stands for entertainment purposes…. not winning championships.

The team is going to flounder while paying and wasting the careers of Cole, Judge and Stanton.

Edited by Die Hard

Ironically, without Judge the Yankees line up was statistically worse this year than the Giants. So he went back to a lesser team (😁). 

I do like the OF (Haniger) they signed yesterday from the Mariners (provided he's healthy). Now if they could just sign Correa since Judge chose poorly...and maybe another SP (stay Rodon!).

• Haha 1

Huge contracts almost never work out in MLB. If you want to win you're better off spreading that money over multiple good players instead of one great player, especially one like Judge who's actually a little older than people think and will probably regress HARD in a couple years. 

Baseball is just different than other sports. The importance of the individual superstar is a lot less, unless its a Pitcher, but even then they can only start every five days. 

The reason the Astros keep winning is because they spread the money around. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/5/2022 at 2:55 PM, Dan T. said:

Saw that.  Good for him, but as a Nats fan that SUCKS. 

I'm not sure where to start...all the savings, for what? 

Some folks have us as a top 10 farm system now after the Soto trade, but remember being told over and over again trading Turner was so we can keep Soto.  

Who cares if we develop our in house players into stars if we don't want to pay them, and either let them leave or trade them?

Judge getting all that money is definitely going to have some REALLY bad value years in there.  Dude has missed significant playing time in the past and he’s an enormous human. 

Turner’s deal is also terrifying in the long run because he’s so speed dependent and chases a lot of pitches out of the zone. 

• Like 1

Can someone tell me how the Padres are able to afford all of these players.. Machado, Tatis, Soto, and now Boegarts?  I'm starting to think that the cartel is funding the Padres owner (jk). 

With all of these contracts (not saying they don't deserve it) but should MLB implement a salary cap. 

21 minutes ago, Maxito said:

Can someone tell me how the Padres are able to afford all of these players.. Machado, Tatis, Soto, and now Boegarts?  I'm starting to think that the cartel is funding the Padres owner (jk). 

With all of these contracts (not saying they don't deserve it) but should MLB implement a salary cap. 

MLB shares 48% of all local revenues (which includes local tv deals), so every team gets over 100 mil from revenue sharing alone.  

Lux tax penalties are also pretty soft for the first year or two and can be reset with just one year below.  They have big name expensive hitters, but their pitching staff is affordable by modern standards.

52 minutes ago, Maxito said:

The Padres have a new principal owner and a lot of market power as the only major professional sports team in San Diego. Their attendance had a steep increase this year and that will likely continue riding the wave of being in the NLCS. 

2 hours ago, Maxito said:

They do seem intent on not bringing Tatis back to SS.  

They are spending on their top 3 on their rotation, but I don’t know what they’re plan is to replace Manea and Clevinger.

• 2 weeks later...

This is out of control. Correa signing with NYM for 12 year $315M pushes their payroll to $380M for 2023. 

Their competitive balance tax payroll now projects to be somewhere in the neighborhood of $380 million. The fourth and final threshold of the luxury tax, commonly referred to as "The Steve Cohen Tax," sits at $293 million for the 2023 season, which means the Mets could be in for a tax bill in the neighborhood of $100 million next year.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/35295977/source-carlos-correa-agrees-12-year-315m-deal-mets

Waking up to this news, I thought something dirty happened.  But SF was holding up the deal because of a medical concern so I don’t blame Correa here.  He does miss a lot games each season though.  

BTW, I’m going off memory here, but I believe the Mets pay more in luxury tax than the Orioles and A’s paid in 2022 salaries combined.

Edited by Ball Security

2 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

24 teams acting as a farm system for the top 6 richest teams doesn't seem like a long term feasible option to me. But I've been saying that about the Dodgers for almost a decade now. 

The Twins TV revenue is 12% of what the Dodgers make. It's a runaway system that benefits a small handful of teams. 

And it why the NFL and it's massive revenue and TV sharing practices is King. 

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1