Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 MLB Thread

ixcuincle

7 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Rangers spent over a half a billion dollars this past off-season. Guess you can buy wins. 

Actually, I think that was the year before when they got Semien and Seager. This year was under $300M with DeGrom and Eovaldi. Haha.

Seriously though, they used FA with two young studs in Carter and Jung and good trade deadline deals.

• Thanks 1

https://www.knbr.com/2022/11/04/bruce-bochy-explains-what-prompted-his-return-to-baseball/

"I’ll say this,” Bochy began on KNBR. “When I stepped down I really didn’t think I would get back into managing. And the following year is when we had the COVID year. I said, man I’m the smartest guy in the world, I picked the right time to step down instead of going through all of that.

“As time went and watching games, I started getting the itch. I never went out and called anybody. I said if it was the right fit I would listen. It so happens that Chris Young and I, we were together and had a relationship, he pitched for me when I was at San Diego. Nick Hundley’s there. Again, just listening to them, it just fueled the fire in me, and I just got excited about it.”

I mean, I wish he'd have stayed in SF. Even with the losing seasons and a new metrics focused front office...but he wanted to retire.

Rooting for him to get that 4th ring though. 

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

Why do you keep posting this despite being corrected over and over? Bochy retired.

It's what he does.

8 hours ago, abdcskins said:

So Garcia is pretty good huh?

That had to be one of the most absurd playoff performances ever. He is villain #1 in Houston. 

The LCSs have been fantastic. Let's go Snakes!

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, SkinsFTW said:

Didn't work for the Mets or Padres though.

That doesn't mean it can't work.

I have no problem with teams that are willing to spend that much money, especially when they do their homework and it gets results.

Angels are an abomination in regards to team building, I'm getting tired of calling out the Nationals for not spending more appropriately with respect to the size of their TV market at least.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

That doesn't mean it can't work.

I have no problem with teams that are willing to spend that much money, especially when they do their homework and it gets results.

Angels are an abomination in regards to team building, I'm getting tired of calling out the Nationals for not spending more appropriately with respect to the size of their TV market at least.

Mets and Padres failed horribly spending but the Nations when the Lerners weren't cheap won a WS title. Spare me the complaints about the market Nats fans because we literally won a title paying out the ASS for Scherzer, Corbin et al

Sadly the Nats as we all know do not own their own TV rights forcing the Lerners to use deferred contracts. And then they act surprised when all their talent doesn't want to re-sign there.

Most frustrating thing as a Nats fan...and I'm a season ticket holder. If they'd just spend more they could be more competitive. Spend to keep your superstars. Instead most of them are playing for the NL pennant in Philly...or trying to win a championship in Dallas...

1 hour ago, ixcuincle said:

Mets and Padres failed horribly spending but the Nations when the Lerners weren't cheap won a WS title. Spare me the complaints about the market Nats fans because we literally won a title paying out the ASS for Scherzer, Corbin et al

Sadly the Nats as we all know do not own their own TV rights forcing the Lerners to use deferred contracts. And then they act surprised when all their talent doesn't want to re-sign there.

Most frustrating thing as a Nats fan...and I'm a season ticket holder. If they'd just spend more they could be more competitive. Spend to keep your superstars. Instead most of them are playing for the NL pennant in Philly...or trying to win a championship in Dallas...

The Nats did not have  a good core, due to the farm system being neglected for years.  

If they had kept Harper, Soto and Turner, you'd more likely end up with a situation like the Angels where you have a few superstars surrounded by dog doodoo.

Edited by DCSaints_fan
  • Like 1

This isn't about then, this about right now...this team looks lost while trying to find a buyer.

They did want to resign, we didn't want to pay them what they wanted, not the same thing.

This I agree with.  Theres always a reason we can't and shouldn't keep x, but seeing Harper and Turner doing the damn thing for a division rival on the cusp of the world series makes us look like we outsmarted ourselves.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

The Nats did not have  a good core, due to the farm system being neglected for years.  

If they had kept Harper, Soto and Turner, you'd more likely end up with a situation like the Angels where you have a few superstars surrounded by dog doodoo.

been over this ad nauseum but the Nats let over the course of 5 years, Harper, Turner, Soto, Scherzer and Rendon walk.

Out of all those 5 only Rendon looks like a bust.

Turner looked a bust early but has settled in in Philly.

Harper is going ham in Philly in the playoffs and quickly making a name for himself.

You telling me you cannot keep ONE of them? Just one. Letting them all walk is going to hurt the Lerner legacy.

I understand the Nats were one of the oldest teams to win a WS, they were decrepit, yes. Farm system, down, yes. But letting 5 players like that walk, and seeing 3 of them in contention for a world championship? Where would you possibly get that narrative, that they'd end up like the Angels, from?

All I'm saying is that you keep one of them. Just one. Harper, fine. Keep him. Soto, sure. Just one. That's all I'm asking

Just now, Renegade7 said:

Theres always a reason we can't and shouldn't keep x, but seeing Harper and Turner doing the damn thing for a division rival on the cusp of the world series makes us look like we outsmarted ourselves.

The amount of defense for what the Lerners did when 3 out of those 5 who walked are contending for a championship at this moment is not helpful for the Nats narrative.

• Thumb up 1

Just now, ixcuincle said:

been over this ad nauseum but the Nats let over the course of 5 years, Harper, Turner, Soto, Scherzer and Rendon walk.

Harper is going ham in Philly in the playoffs and quickly making a name for himself.

You telling me you cannot keep ONE of them? Just one. Letting them all walk is going to hurt the Lerner legacy.

I understand the Nats were one of the oldest teams to win a WS, they were decrepit, yes. Farm system, down, yes. But letting 5 players like that walk, and seeing 3 of them in contention for a world championship? Where would you possibly get that narrative, that they'd end up like the Angels, from?

All I'm saying is that you keep one of them. Just one. Harper, fine. Keep him. Soto, sure. Just one. That's all I'm asking

If you are going for a rebuild, there would be no point in keeping just one.  Because by the time you are ready to compete again, there is a decent chance those guys aren't nearly as productive and that cash could have been better spent in free agency. 

Unless you are going for some type of franchise type HoF player ...  Harper, Soto, maybe Turner could have fit that bill... sadly I think those days are gone at least for teams that aren't huge markets like NYC, Boston,  LA maybe Chicago.

8 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

The amount of defense for what the Lerners did when 3 out of those 5 who walked are contending for a championship at this moment is not helpful for the Nats narrative.

Why wasn’t Turner much better than a 22 year old Abrams in his first full year in the majors? 3.6 to 3.4 WAR?

Why haven’t the Padres offered Soto more than $450M? Why are they talking about trading him?

Why didn’t Scherzer pitch better than Gray this season?

How did the Nationals win the World Series the year after letting Harper walk?

Why couldn’t a team with three $100M+ players, plus Soto, plus Turner not crack .500 in 2020 and 2021?

Why do want to trade Gore, Crews, and Wood to LAA for Rendon?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumb down 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Why wasn’t Turner much better than a 22 year old Abrams in his first full year in the majors? 3.6 to 3.4 WAR?

Why haven’t the Padres offered Soto more than $450M? Why are they talking about trading him?

Why didn’t Scherzer pitch better than Gray this season?

How did the Nationals win the World Series the year after letting Harper walk?

Why couldn’t a team with three $100M+ players, plus Soto, plus Turner not crack .500 in 2020 and 2021?

Why do want to trade Gore, Crews, and Wood to LAA for Rendon?

In order of those who walked who should have been kept

Harper is #1. Harper has matured big time since he left DC. If you don't see what Harper is doing in Philly I don't know what to tell you. Now, a lot of this is pending today's result, but so far Harper has played a huge factor in Philly's postseason success. I suppose you missed his breakout on his birthday in the playoffs. That one hurts the most. You couldn't sign him to a deal, seriously? And spare me the "they won a title right after he left". I know the narrative. If we don't sign him, we got Corbin instead with that money. How's Corbin done other than year 1?

Soto is #2. Someone with that much team control dealt so soon seemed like a panic move for the Nationals. At the beginning of this year he struggled and you may have been right but he rebounded very well late. I know because I watched most Padres game in Korean this year. They barely missed out after having a horrendous start. He's fine.

Turner is #3. Had a rough start in Philly but "brotherly love city" for the first time ever was "supportive" of a player, with all these billboards around town trying to support him. Turner felt the love and rebounded. Still think it's hilarious that Philly scum for once didn't boo and eviscerate one of their own for underperforming. That's a first. Anyway Turner has shown to be a solid player for the US WBC as well as Philly. He also is more experienced than CJ Abrams. I like CJ but he is still raw. Meanwhile Turner is serviceable now.

Scherzer #4. Getting old. With the Nats he barely was injured (I remember Danny Rouhier talking about how Scherzer was oft injured with the Nats it's like what game are you watching). He was durable until his WS year where he got hurt and took some serious time off, then rebounded to win a title. With the Mets and Rangers he was always hurt, but even at his decline was still able to dominate the Nats lol. More defensible to let go.

Rendon #5. Always hurt. Fans yelled all day to Re-sign Rendon but it just wasn't worth it. By far this was the best decision Rizzo and the Lerners made. You weren't keeping both Rendon and Strasburg. Strasburg pitched his heart out to win that WS and win MVP. You take the risk re-signing him. Sadly that didn't work out.

I get the Nationals don't have a cheat code for money. But they spent out the ass for Werth, and later Scherzer. Do you mean to tell me they couldn't do that ONCE...ONCE for one of those 5. Especially the top 3. I get it. Letting Scherzer go via trade was fine. He wasn't being paid 40m a year here. Letting Rendon go was fine. But you are telling me you couldn't keep Harper? Soto? Those two hurt the most IMO.

Edited by ixcuincle
  • Thumb up 1