Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 MLB Thread

ixcuincle

19 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

Reminder that the Dodgers are paying the rapist Trevor Bauer $1.5mil a week while on administrative leave. 

**** L.A.

I mean, at least the Dodgers suspended him and will likely cut him after the year is over. The vast majority of Dodgers fans/players want him gone like 6 months ago.

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Sun-Bonds-Tells-Court-Barry-Beat-Her-Often-3018220.php

how long did giants fans turn out to cheer baseballs most notorious cheater and first ballot all-world asshole? Sf’s front office sure was Johny-on-the-spot cutting such an obvious scumbag and team cancer…

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MrSilverMaC said:

I mean, at least the Dodgers suspended him and will likely cut him after the year is over. The vast majority of Dodgers fans/players want him gone like 6 months ago.

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Sun-Bonds-Tells-Court-Barry-Beat-Her-Often-3018220.php

how long did giants fans turn out to cheer baseballs most notorious cheater and first ballot all-world asshole? Sf’s front office sure was Johny-on-the-spot cutting such an obvious scumbag and team cancer…

🙄

We'll see on Bauer. They were still paying him 1.5 mil a week and still owe him 60+ million that they will have to pay as long as he is on MLB administrative leave. They paid him 38 mil this year for 17 starts. 😆

https://www.thebiglead.com/posts/dodgers-trevor-bauer-38-million-17-starts-2021-suspension-sexual-assault-01ff8z3tkmmm

Also, Bonds was a first class asshole. He did however have the benefit of people testifying against Sun.

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Ex-Friend-Describes-Sun-Bonds-Tantrums-3017674.php

Doesn't excuse his actions. 

9 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

I'm not gonna front, as a former Yankee fan, I'd kill for my football team to have no salary cap (and my baseball team to take advantage of it).  Make the money, spend the money, hate the playa, not the game.

Not having a salary cap is ridiculous.  All it does is favor big market.  LA and NY could sell out a stadium 10x over at any time of the day because of sheer population.  It’s that throw money at it problem that has European fans pissed at oil folks buying teams.  Newcastle was poor as hell and overnight became the richest club by like 5x the next closest club when Saudi Arabia bought it. 

1 hour ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

Not having a salary cap is ridiculous.  All it does is favor big market.  LA and NY could sell out a stadium 10x over at any time of the day because of sheer population.  It’s that throw money at it problem that has European fans pissed at oil folks buying teams.  Newcastle was poor as hell and overnight became the richest club by like 5x the next closest club when Saudi Arabia bought it. 

How do you explain the Los Angeles Angels then? 

Jus spending money by itself doesn't promise anything, thats why Yankees have chilled out a little on that the last couple years compared to their heyday.

San Diego didn't make the playoffs (#3 in payroll), either, and there are plenty of poorly run baseball franchises as well.  

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/payroll/

• Like 1

The argument is that without a hard salary cap, the teams that are rich can afford to sign bad contracts and have no ill effects. The Bauer fiasco (where he is still being paid) would have crippled smaller market teams whose big contract would have been him last year. 

Fwiw I thought the big source of revenue for the Dodgers and Yankees was their plush regional sports TV network deals...

Edited by The Evil Genius

23 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

Fwiw I thought the big source of revenue for the Dodgers and Yankees was their plush regional sports TV network deals...

The Dodgers get more per year than anyone's--including the Yankees--entire payroll. Spending is a requisite for winning, for the most part, as it is in most sports. However, it isn't a guarantee. The Dodgers went 32 years without a title--and then played 73-game "season" including playoff games. Angels, Phillies, Mets, and Padres did not make the playoffs--all in the top 10 in payroll. The Phillies in particular of bad spending: $80-ish million tied up in Realmuto, Wheeler, and Harper, pretty much nothing else.

• Like 1

But let's not pretend that the Dodgers weren't relevant before last year, ok? They won 9 straight NL West pennants before this year. Their inflated payroll allows them to have bad managers or FO people and still put a 100 game winner out. 

My point is, teams like the Orioles, Marlins, or the Pirates will likely never be consistently good under the current structure of the MLB. Especially not when the Dodgers and Yankees can spend $200 million more in salary each year. 

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

But let's not pretend that the Dodgers weren't relevant before last year, ok? They won 9 straight NL West pennants before this year. Their inflated payroll allows them to have bad managers or FO people and still put a 100 game winner out. 

My point is, teams like the Orioles, Marlins, or the Pirates will likely never be consistently good under the current structure of the MLB. Especially not when the Dodgers and Yankees can spend $200 million more in salary each year. 

You'll get teams like the 07-11 Phillies, 12-19 Nationals, the Devil Magic Giants, 11-14 Tigers, the 15-20 Cubs, teams like that--these are not small market teams, but sustaining long-term winning is very difficult unless you're the Dodgers and Yankees.

The thing about the Dodgers though is, they are excellent at drafting and developing their own talent in addition to adding Bauer, Scherzer, Turner, Betts, Pujols, and all the other big contracts. 

Welp, that one didn't age so well. 

It was odd watching Urias and Fried get somewhat hung out to dry by their teams on consecutive games.  Don't managers normally try to not let the other team get 4 runs on a pitcher, or is this 2021 baseball that I'm not all that familiar with. 

Chris Taylor is such an unlikely batting hero, even though my perusal of Wiki says he does have some pop in his bat... he also went to UVA and his father and grandfather wrestled at VA Tech ... although this is something a Dodger broadcast would never care about.  

I expected Dodgers to bat like this yesterday.  

It's odd not hearing about Kershaw choking in big situations.