Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CBSSports.com: Jay Gruden not consulted about FA moves, reportedly heard about Landon Collins signing through media

LetThePointsSoar

Was surprised to not see a thread on this, didn't know if it's already being discussed elsewhere.  But are there any legs or truth to this story?  Not that it's surprising by any means in this dumpster fire of a Bruce run organization.  Thoughts? 

Here's the link, but I think it's even being reported on multiple outlets:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/jay-gruden-not-consulted-about-fa-moves-reportedly-heard-about-landon-collins-signing-through-media/

Edit:  Realized it's being discussed in the GM/BA thread. Mods, feel free to merge if it doesn't warrant its own thread. 

Part of me wants it to have its own thread if it is indeed true for exposure.  I didn't want to believe it at first, but I already knew.  You almost feel aick thinking winning would encourage this type of behavior, but they are losing, which makes it worse, doubling down on what doesn't work always works right? Wrong.

This has been discussed--and opposite accounts given--on the Bruce Allen thread. The article by what's-his-ass who discounts the story that Gruden plays no role in FA signings and only hears about new additions through the media could have had its own thread, too, I guess (don't worry, mods, I'm not gonna do that lol)...

Supposedly the reason for lack of infrastructure renovations at Redskins Park is due to the team investing serious funds in a top flight bunker, where Coach Jay Gruden resides until the start of the season. Game 1 Bruce removes his blindfold and sends him out the tunnel saying “look at all these wonderful goodies we brought you!” 

21 minutes ago, WelshSkinsFan said:

I actually heard that he was not consulted about bring HC of the Redskins and only found out on twitter! 

And he only saw that on twitter last Thursday..no wonder he's frustrated.

"Wait...I've been the head coach of the Redskins the last 5 years? Why the **** didn't anyone tell me?!?!"

19 hours ago, Califan007 said:

And he only saw that on twitter last Thursday..no wonder he's frustrated.

"Wait...I've been the head coach of the Redskins the last 5 years? Why the **** didn't anyone tell me?!?!"

At least now he knows why 5 million dollars kept showing up in his bank account every year. :)

1 minute ago, fwo40 said:

If I were Jay with these moves I'd want to deny I was consulted about anything as well.

Agreed he already knows Snyder is going to throw him under the bus next year and hire someone else. Jay hasn't had a healthy or talented team yet. I personally don't blame him for his time here. Even though I do believe he needs to improve of some head coaching aspects. 

1 hour ago, RWJ said:

If Gruden is let go of he's got a job waiting for him in Oakland/Las Vegas.

I wouldn't be so sure of that.  There's more argument for Jay Gruden being out of coaching after this debacle.  Sure possibly a coordinator job, but his days as a HC are going to be over after this **** show.  Jay Gruden often looks overwhelmed and confused over and over again on Saturdays, Sundays, and OMG MNF!!!

Whether you'd like to argue for or against Jay Gruden, the stats and tape speak for themselves, clearly showing out far below average.  Why would you ever want to hire a below average HC!?  If he doesn't win then he's never going to be a HC again.  The fallout with the Skins would keep him from being hire able in any situation in Oakland working for his smarter brother.  Noway that happens when he loses.  He'd need to win and quit for a job with his brother or his brother would get roasted.  Complete no win situation for the Oakland organization. 

If Gruden doesn't get any input into the players that come to Washington during free agency... what else is that true for?  The draft?  What else is Gruden not consulted on? 

This makes sense if there's a plan beyond Gruden, except that they gave him a contract extension through 2020 at the beginning of 2017, and let him  stay this year.  😑  

The head coach carousal for our team has been ridiculous since Joe Gibbs left...  Can we hire him as a consultant please... or do you think he knows to stay away now? 

6 hours ago, TheShredder said:

I wouldn't be so sure of that.  There's more argument for Jay Gruden being out of coaching after this debacle.  Sure possibly a coordinator job, but his days as a HC are going to be over after this **** show.  Jay Gruden often looks overwhelmed and confused over and over again on Saturdays, Sundays, and OMG MNF!!!

Whether you'd like to argue for or against Jay Gruden, the stats and tape speak for themselves, clearly showing out far below average.  Why would you ever want to hire a below average HC!?  If he doesn't win then he's never going to be a HC again.  The fallout with the Skins would keep him from being hire able in any situation in Oakland working for his smarter brother.  Noway that happens when he loses.  He'd need to win and quit for a job with his brother or his brother would get roasted.  Complete no win situation for the Oakland organization. 

I didn't say as a HC I was talking about joining Jon as his OC.  

18 hours ago, TheShredder said:

Yet as everyone on the board keeps saying, the FO is a dumpster fire, we have a garbage roster with no receiving threats, terrible QB play and a never ending injury crisis on a par with a biblical plague and yet despite this Gruden has basically been .500 for the last 4 years.  The rest of the league sees all of the crap the Redskins put their HC through and it is no great leap to think that if a guy can be .500 here he could be winning Championships at a decent team, the perception outside Washington trends more towards Jay being a good coach in a bad situation and don't forget, he knows Sean McVay.

4 hours ago, WelshSkinsFan said:

Yet as everyone on the board keeps saying, the FO is a dumpster fire, we have a garbage roster with no receiving threats, terrible QB play and a never ending injury crisis on a par with a biblical plague and yet despite this Gruden has basically been .500 for the last 4 years.  The rest of the league sees all of the crap the Redskins put their HC through and it is no great leap to think that if a guy can be .500 here he could be winning Championships at a decent team, the perception outside Washington trends more towards Jay being a good coach in a bad situation and don't forget, he knows Sean McVay.

My rebuttal to this would be that jay's locker rooms have been questioned multiple times by players.  He's also at his worst on Sundays.   He may be a good coach Monday - Saturday, but on Sunday, he leaves  A LOT to be desired.  He hasn't been handed a stacked deck to play with, but he also hasn't played the hand he's been dealt very well.    He's got pedigree, but he's only ever as good as his talent... and even then he's not that great.  We literally had a QB set franchise passing records in consecutive seasons, but all we have to show for it was a terrible WC round loss to the Packers when we hosted the game.  Now the losses aren't completely on him, as I'm just as critical of some of the other aspects of those stat-filled seasons... but he doesn't pass the eye test for me.  Too many times I find myself wondering why we're doing what were doing... or not doing what we should be.  I just can't accept a 5th year coach with the issues i've seen on Sunday... poop roster or not.  

He's likely to continue coaching after he leaves here, because he's connected.  He's got pedigree, but he's only ever as good as his talent... and even then he's not that great.  We literally had a QB set franchise passing records in consecutive seasons, but all we have to show for it was a terrible WC round loss to the Packers when we hosted the game.  Now the losses aren't completely on him, as I'm just as critical of some of the other aspects of those stat-filled seasons... but he doesnt pass the eye test for me.  

I would agree with that.  He is a talented coach and a very good offensive mind and play designer.  He also seems to have decent man management skills and the ability to roll with the punches and keep the FO happy.  Where I cannot defend Jay is the in game decision making and that is why in the past I have advocated for him handing off a lot of the in game decision making.  He needs someone in charge of the clock and he needs an OC calling the plays to be most effective.  He can draw up the best plays in the world but he seems to lack an appreciation of what to call and when.

11 minutes ago, WelshSkinsFan said:

I would agree with that.  He is a talented coach and a very good offensive mind and play designer.  He also seems to have decent man management skills and the ability to roll with the punches and keep the FO happy.  Where I cannot defend Jay is the in game decision making and that is why in the past I have advocated for him handing off a lot of the in game decision making.  He needs someone in charge of the clock and he needs an OC calling the plays to be most effective.  He can draw up the best plays in the world but he seems to lack an appreciation of what to call and when.

I actually agree with you.  He's a good offensive mind.  I feel though that his ceiling is offensive coordinator.  My guess is that his next gig is OC, and he looks very good doing it.... I also don't completely blame him because, from my guess, he doesn't have a FO thats invested in him enough to sit him down and set him straight.  There arent good enough FOOTBALL minds in the FO to pull him aside and set it up the way it needs to be set up. 

The other thing that kills me is that he appears to lack flexibility.  For whatever reason he will adapt a particular offense for a season, and remain with it over the course of the season regardless of what happens.  His offense clearly is different than it was in 15 / 16 when we threw for 4K+, so he understands how to change his offense... the problem is we run the same offensive scheme with Mark Sanches / Josh Johnson as we did with Alex Smith.   When AP takes a ball 90 yds vs Philly out of the single back formation... we don't continue to see a single back formation.  

Archived