Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: FBI accuses wealthy parents, including celebrities, in college-entrance bribery scheme

Springfield

the news picked people that easily identifiable as their cover pic for the story?

shocking.

don't remember anyone complaining about that when Robert Kraft was the #1 person used to report the sex trafficking sting.

Did they even report anyone else? I remember 'over 200 warrants for arrest' being issued but I don't recall a single name.

social justice people crack me up, it seems to be all they see/think/hear.

2 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Agree @LD0506

Nothing better to stop this practice than prosecuting famous people for doing it.  It will be high-profile, show that the Feds are looking at this, and that anyone caught faces real consequences.  You can't catch everyone, but you can illustrate to everyone that it is a bad idea to consider it.  

Quoting myself, but I'd like to add something to this.  I said "anyone caught faces real consequences."  I think this has a very high potential to be a situation where rich white people get a slap on the wrist (or nothing), which would encourage more fraud in academic admissions.  

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I understand the 1st and 2nd points, but I'm fuzzy on the 3rd one and the mechanics of it and how it works.

So with the third way these people were fraudulent, I understand about lying about their kids athletic accomplishments, which is sickening.  Doctoring photos of Aunt Becky's kid rowing?   But what I don't understand is the colleges giving these kids athletic scholarships (if I'm reading some of these documents correctly, it looks like might have) to kids that have never played a sport.  I get that they were bribed, but...the kids gotta show up to the first day of practice, right?  Like if you look at item #186, USC admitted this kid as a basketball recruit, based off falsified athletic accomplishments.  So...how does it work when you've got a kid admitted as an athletic recruit to your school and they're not on the team?  How the hell is Aunt Becky's kid supposed to coxswain a boat when she's never been in one?  

Or are these not scholarships, they're essentially saying "give us money, we'll say your kid tried to get on the team as a walk-on and couldn't hack it and this is all water under the bridge?"

I'm curious as to how the charade of letting these kids in as an athlete was supposed to work.  Look at item 297, the water polo coach at USC is saying this kid is going to be the fastest swimmer on the team!   How the hell does this work?  One of these kids got admitted to the track and field team, didn't even know he was a track star!  Another parent BOUGHT WATER POLO GEAR FROM AMAZON AND STAGED A WATER POLO PHOTO SHOOT FOR THEIR KID.  

My understanding is that coaches are allotted recruitment slots (aka walk on spots for prefferd admission) at many colleges. These are different from athletic scholarships, so a lot of these kids don't end up playing a sport in college but some do actually walk on and play. It allows coaches to get kids in who may not normally qualify for that school academically and it's easy to see how it could be perverted for financial gain.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

My understanding is that coaches are allotted recruitment slots (aka walk on spots for prefferd admission) at many colleges. These are different from athletic scholarships, so a lot of these kids don't end up playing a sport in college but some do actually walk on and play. It allows coaches to get kids in who may not normally qualify for that school academically and it's easy to see how it could be perverted for financial gain.

Gotcha, that makes a lot of sense.  Thanks for clarifying.  

4 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Btw, Aunt Becky's husband is the guy who started the Mossimo clothing line.  They (jointly) agreed to pay 500k to get their kids into USC (via the USC crew team). 

Have no idea why USC other than Mossimo was a grad of it.

The alum connection probably factors in.  USC also has the country's best and most prestigious school for movie making.  

Just now, PleaseBlitz said:

The alum connection probably factors in.  USC also has the country's best and most prestigious school for movie making.  

but a million dollars?

Don't get me wrong, if they were doing like 300k or something i wouldn't even think twice.

But a million? 

I guess I'm just poor. I can't imagine thinking 1 million dollars to get into school is worth it. 

Just now, tshile said:

but a million dollars?

Don't get me wrong, if they were doing like 300k or something i wouldn't even think twice.

But a million? 

I guess I'm just poor. I can't imagine thinking 1 million dollars to get into school is worth it. 

It was 500k total for both kids. The UC system is better than spoiled children's u anyways. 

1 hour ago, tshile said:

but a million dollars?

But a million? 

1 hour ago, The Evil Genius said:

It was 500k total for both kids. The UC system is better than spoiled children's u anyways. 

In either event, money is relative.  $1 million is nothing to someone with $100 million.  I dunno how much they are worth, but Mossimo made $88 million when he sold his business.  That does not include however much he made while he owned. it.  

9 hours ago, tshile said:

the news picked people that easily identifiable as their cover pic for the story?

social justice people crack me up, it seems to be all they see/think/hear.

You’re losing sight of the big picture. Who cares about Aunt Jackie anyway?Not me. Not when Roseanne is a pill popping racist Trump supporter.

19 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

white people get a slap on the wrist (or nothing), which would encourage more fraud in academic admissions.  

>> ...and teach them to me more careful....(IE what to do in order not to get caught rather than not commit the crime in the first place).

A comment to all the parents out there paying hundreds of thousands in bribe money to get their kids into "elite" party schools...

In any sense, it appears USC's reputation as the "University of Spoiled Children" is still firmly intact.

1 minute ago, The Evil Genius said:

I'm starting to think these parents (including Loughlin) might actually see some real jail time. 

No way that happens. I would like to see it. But I have zero faith in that. 

I think the dude running it will though. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Llevron said:

No way that happens. I would like to see it. But I have zero faith in that. 

I think the dude running it will though. 

The dude running it definitely. But he will get less time because he worked with the FBI to make the busts.

I personally don't think any of the parents or kids deserve jail time. Punitive penalties and the embarrassment of having your name negatively dragged through the public eye (and the ramifications of that such as firings, etc.) are justice enough for me.

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

The dude running it definitely. But he will get less time because he worked with the FBI to make the busts.

I personally don't think any of the parents or kids deserve jail time. Punitive penalties and the embarrassment of having your name negatively dragged through the public eye (an the ramifications of that such as firings, etc.) are justice enough for me.

I kinda agree. I dont think it should get someone jail time. However going off of the post @BenningRoadSkin made above it would be such an in justice in my mind if it didnt come with some jail time. Lady getting 3 years just for changing her address. Thats wild. 

And i know thats petty. Its why I dont think I could be a judge.