Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Deadspin: Dan Snyder Reportedly Dumps "We Hail" Marketing Campaign Due to Nazi Connections

skinfan2k

4 hours ago, Xameil said:

I swear some of you people are ****ing hilarious. 

If Dan does nothing and a news agency prints Dan allowed the phrase which resembles nazi, you grill him for not getting rid of it and being insensitive, and he should be concentrating his efforts on this instead of football operations....

He did do something, and you grill him for that and he should be more worried about the product on the field....

I'm no lover of the management...but come on..some of you are hating just to hate now. It's getting quite facepalm hilarious.

It's about being consistent. You can't be the owner of the "Redskins", saying the name will "NEVER change", and then cry offense when a name or phrase affects you personally. It opens you up to attack as being hypocritical. 

Has anyone ever read Dan's profile on the team page?  Obviously this must have been written years ago.

Dan Snyder

Owner

A self-made man and an entrepreneur at heart, Dan Snyder’s life has been consumed by an enduring passion for the people, the team and the community he loves.

Growing up in the D.C. area and attending Redskins games with his father, Gerald, his youth and young adulthood were shaped and inspired by his devotion to the Washington Redskins. Since purchasing the team in 1999, Snyder has put his passion into action. He has consistently led the franchise to new prominence in the community, the business world and the National Football League.

5 hours ago, respectgibbs said:

It's about being consistent. You can't be the owner of the "Redskins", saying the name will "NEVER change", and then cry offense when a name or phrase affects you personally. It opens you up to attack as being hypocritical. 

That's utter bull****. The name itself has time and time again been put on polls with Native Americans ( the only ones who matter if it offends or not) with over 90% saying it doesnt. The latest poll was conducted by a newspaper that has more of an agenda against the Redskins then anyone, and theirs also supports the name. 

So consistency has nothing to do with it. Now you're just grasping at straws. The topics of criticism that is spewed his way is more inconsistent. 

10 hours ago, Xameil said:

I swear some of you people are ****ing hilarious. 

If Dan does nothing and a news agency prints Dan allowed the phrase which resembles nazi, you grill him for not getting rid of it and being insensitive, and he should be concentrating his efforts on this instead of football operations....

He did do something, and you grill him for that and he should be more worried about the product on the field....

I'm no lover of the management...but come on..some of you are hating just to hate now. It's getting quite facepalm hilarious.

I don't see that at all. 

As has been shown and said in this thread, the Nazi phrase "Seig Heil" — ironically enough — translates to "Hail, Victory", not "We Hail." Just think about that for a second and how that relates to this debate and the stupidity of Snyder's reaction to "We Hail." 

It's kind of hilarious, really: "Sieg Heil" simply sounds more PHONETICALLY like "We Hail", even though it doesn't at all MEAN "We Hail". But of course Snyder just grasps at the lowest hanging fruit with no concern for or understanding of the bigger picture.  I imagine the FO conversation went like this:

Tony Wylie: "People are really pissed about Lafemina being fired."

Snyder: "You know, I always thought that stupid 'We Hail' thing sounded like 'Seig Heil.' Let's leak that I was pissed by that, and that's one of the reasons we fired him. Everyone hates Nazis. What could they possibly say?"

Wylie: "Well ... you know 'Seig Heil' actually translates to 'Hail Victory', right?"

Snyder: "What's that got to do with anything?" 

Wylie: "Absolutely nothing, my lord. It shall be done."

The whole thing is just further evidence as to how clueless and mentally lazy the guy is. 

What's even more ridiculous is that this is coming out now. Clearly Snyder APPROVED the "We Hail" message at the time of its inception. So what kind of owner would approve something they thought resembled a Nazi salute in the first place if he was that upset by it? And NOW he plays that card? Clearly it didn't bother him that much at the time. And if it had been successful and fans had rallied around it, he wouldn't be saying a word, and we all know it. So THAT would make him someone who values fiscal success over his own value system (whatever that is). 

I'm calling complete bull**** on yet another PR fail from the worst-run organization in sports. 

3 hours ago, Xameil said:

That's utter bull****. The name itself has time and time again been put on polls with Native Americans ( the only ones who matter if it offends or not) with over 90% saying it doesnt. The latest poll was conducted by a newspaper that has more of an agenda against the Redskins then anyone, and theirs also supports the name. 

Exactly, that's the point. The argument that "Redskins" is racist is a farce, and so is Danny's made up issue with "We Hail". So don't be dumb and make an issue about either of them. 

This is a case of grasping at something just to attempt to slay the dragon rather than there being anything actually malicious.

He dumped "We Hail". Who cares? It's actually business savvy for a guy, who is Jewish, to steer clear of any possible connections like that. Obviously, most of us didn't/won't make that connection. But there are a lot of people who do and would out there in the world. Can't fault the guy for canning it.

*shrug*

25 minutes ago, KDawg said:

This is a case of grasping at something just to attempt to slay the dragon rather than there being anything actually malicious.

He dumped "We Hail". Who cares? It's actually business savvy for a guy, who is Jewish, to steer clear of any possible connections like that. Obviously, most of us didn't/won't make that connection. But there are a lot of people who do and would out there in the world. Can't fault the guy for canning it.

*shrug*

Agreed. I actually tick this on the side where he did something in tune.

That puts the score at roughly 3 million for Tone Deaf, 5 for in Tune.  

47 minutes ago, dballer said:

Agreed. I actually tick this on the side where he did something in tune.

That puts the score at roughly 3 million for Tone Deaf, 5 for in Tune.  

"Did something in tune"

A year after he signed off on it and the team actually used the slogan.

With not a single person on the planet complaining about the slogan.

Yeah, that screams "in tune" to me...

1 hour ago, TryTheBeal! said:

The article is complete and utter trash.  But that’s what a lot of our fan base likes.

I hope McKenna got a few BMW payments out of it.

Oh, ****...McKenna wrote this? lol 😂

That 'splains a lot.

EDIT: not sure how I missed this at the end of the article;

Disclosure: Dan Snyder once sued the author for writing mean things about him.

Yeah, that's not why he sued lol...McKenna wrote nothing BUT mean things about Snyder and it never prompted a lawsuit before.

By the way, here's a discussion back in September from reddit:

Who in the Redskins marketing group thought the new “We Hail” slogan was a good idea.

"On TV, I heard the crowd chant "We Hail!", and at first, the wife and I both thought we were hearing, "sieg heil". That chant needs to stop. Very bad optics."

"All I could think of when it was shown at the game was “Seig Heil”

"Oh dear"

"I mean, that literally translates as “Hail Victory”, which is already the second line of the HTTR lyrics, so...the potential for insensitivity has been there all along."

11 hours ago, respectgibbs said:

Exactly, that's the point. The argument that "Redskins" is racist is a farce, and so is Danny's made up issue with "We Hail". So don't be dumb and make an issue about either of them. 

I'm sorry, but u dont see how his issue with We Hail is farce. To him..it was bad. He's the majority owner, that's his prerogative, and the type of stuff he should be dealing with.

The PR around this team is awful, not denying that. My entire argument is that no matter what he does, the same voices in here and in the public toast him. The only consistency is the blind hate towards him

15 minutes ago, Xameil said:

The only consistency is the blind hate towards him

“Blind hate” 🤣

That’s probably the most complimentary take I’ve ever seen, Dan would probably shed a tear reading that if he cared enough to read what fans say about him.

When you are absolutely awful at your job for a few decades and have exponentially more blunders and wrong-doing than you have successes, people tend to pile on.  That’s not exclusive to poor Dan.

Just now, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

“Blind hate” 🤣

That’s probably the most complimentary take I’ve ever seen, Dan would probably shed a tear reading that if he cared enough to read what fans say about him.

When you are absolutely awful at your job for a few decades and have exponentially more blunders and wrong-doing than you have successes, people tend to pile on.  That’s not exclusive to poor Dan.

Did I ever say it was exclusive to him?

All I am saying is hes in the no win situation with alot of fans. No matter what hendies you guys will **** and moan. So yes, its blind hatred. Hell, up where I am I dont even ever hear his name anymore when it comes to anything. Just see him on game day in the owners box. So not sure if the hatred comes from actual facts, or assumptions that most fans have because of what he did in the past. From what I've read in interviews...its assumptions.

• Jumbo locked this topic

Archived