Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

10 minutes ago, bearrock said:

Looks like teams are dropping out of the race for Rendon a bit.  So probably Rangers, Angels, and us.

Or could be like Robinson Cano situation where some random team like the Mariners comes out of nowhere and pays a massive amount.

I'm hearing the White Sox really want to land a big star.

Don't really think Rendon is worth that much imo.  hes great but 2019 was his best year yet.  i really can't see him doing this multiple times.  

any 7 year deal with him would be really a 4 year deal.  i have way more confidence in stras producing at the end of his deal than tony. 

Garcia and Kieboom hopefully could replace Tony soon

Just now, skinfan2k said:

Don't really think Rendon is worth that much imo.  hes great but 2019 was his best year yet.  i really can't see him doing this multiple times.  

any 7 year deal with him would be really a 4 year deal.  i have way more confidence in stras producing at the end of his deal than tony. 

Garcia and Kieboom hopefully could replace Tony soon

you are canceled 

• Haha 3

27 minutes ago, CRobi21 said:

This is a mistake by the Nats.  If they let Rendon go to save 10-15 mil in salary+lux tax, they are flittering away the post WS potential for growing the fanbase and cementing their hold on the town.  In two consecutive years they will have let their best hitter walk out the door. Signing a 34 yr Donaldson to a 3/75, 4/100 deal would be doubling down on that mistake.  Terrible decision.

• Like 1

Our WS MVP just had his contract structured for Rendon and even appealed to him.  I mean if the teammates appealing to him along with them structuring just so he will stay isn’t enough then move on.   Rizzo can hopefully work some magic but we shouldn’t completely destroy our finances for him.  He is clearly chasing his up front money and he’s seeing dollar signs first. 

Totally ridiculous.  In a sports without a salary cap, they're gonna let the best hitter on the team leave over 5 mil a year difference?  When Stras took 80 mil in deferred money to help resign him?  Then they're going to either hand over 3rd base to a rookie or go sign a 34 year old for 3-4 years AND pay the qualifying offer penalty????  All to avoid 20% penalty on the luxury tax after raking in all that money from the WS????  OMG....

• Sad 1

Let this be a lesson. They could have extended Rendon two offseasons ago for $160m. They could have done so last offseason for around $200m. One fault of the Lerners (they have several) is they don’t seem to want to be proactive about contracts for their players or coaches.  

Soto is going to get a massive contract and hit FA at 25. We should be able to sign him to a 3-4 year extension any time in exchange for more money early in his contract. No excuse for putting it off until it’s too late. 

• Like 2

Should've kept him, but they made their bed when they said they could only afford one guy.  Absolutely the wrong thing to say, but it is what it is.  Don't know how they'll replace his production and defense which is the bigger issue.  I guess they're banking on Donaldson or something else at this point