Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

37 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

that is big time money to individuals who will likely never see another check that big in their lives. All the more reason I love Rizzo, his head and heart are in the right place

That's what you seriously call "damn good culture."  Guys like Rizzo are the ones who truly deserve to win a championship

• Like 6

5 hours ago, StillUnknown said:

that is big time money to individuals who will likely never see another check that big in their lives. All the more reason I love Rizzo, his head and heart are in the right place

Except it wasn't Rizzo who made the players do this. According to this: https://www.masnsports.com/nationals-pastime/2019/11/nationals-players-give-out-61-full-postseason-shares.html it was the players who took upon themselves to spread some monetary love and recognize some people that made a difference for them. Regardless, still a damn good gesture and good hearts these players have. Love'em all. 

• Like 1

This would be a fringe playoff team at best without its starting pitching and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. We've built a franchise off great pitching, and giving Stras the payday he deserves is completely on brand. 

We may not pay Harper types, but if you can rack up wins from the mound in your playoff starts, you'll get your money. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Bryant will be tough to trade for because of his service time grievance. 

He won’t be traded until that is resolved. Better for the Nats if he wins imo. Don’t think they have the prospects to trade for him if he has two years left. Maybe for a one year rental though. 

Plan could be to bring Kieboom up this year and play him at 2B, with Bryant at 3B. Then for 2021, move Kieboom to 3B and bring up Garcia for 2B.

I’m not a huge fan of moving Kieboom around that much given his early defensive struggles, but that probably fills the holes appropriately. 

7 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

It'll take Kieboom to get Bryant.

If we maintain multiple years of control over Bryant it'd be worth it. But I trust Rizzo. I'm also the same idiot that was willing to part with Soto for a legit closer a few years ago...so WTF do I know lolol

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Just now, Warhead36 said:

If we maintain multiple years of control over Bryant it'd be worth it. But I trust Rizzo. I'm also the same idiot that was willing to part with Soto for a legit closer a few years ago...so WTF do I know lolol

Just note any player Rizzo refuses to trade...

11 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

It'll take Kieboom to get Bryant.

I don’t think so. Certainly not if he’s got one year left on his deal. Look at Goldschmidt’s trade last year as a comp. 

Not sure how hot the market is... if Donaldson and Rendon go to LAD and Texas, that leaves basically the Nats and Philly in the market for a 3B as currently rumored. If Rendon and Donaldson go to LAD and Philly, I seriously doubt Texas would be interesting in trading for Bryant. 

At the same time, there could be a value bet there.  You wouldn't pay for a 2 year control in a trade.  If you could pay for 1.5 or 1.25, you would get great value if you win the service time issue (now the problem is you're dealing with Epstein, who obviously knows what he's doing).  Or maybe you talk to Bryant about a near market value contract of 2 years as a condition to the trade.  (Now, this is part of the reason why you shouldn't pull service time bs anymore.  Bryant probably wouldn't consider such a deal with the Cubs because these kind of shenanigans sour a relationship).

Doubt Rizzo would trade Kieboom with the hole at both 2nd and 3rd looming.  Probably looking at Garcia + pitching.  Not too wild about that idea. 

I think it makes more sense to use money than prospects to fill the hole at 3rd.  Put another way, would any of us trade top tier prospects needed to acquire Bryant for say 5 million per year for next 7 years?  I wouldn't.  Even if you hit on just one of those guys (even at a moderate level), you make back that money in a hurry. 

Rendon is more valuable to the Nats than any other team because of the lack of compensation.  If money is equal, in essence, Nats are paying less than other competitors because you don't lose draft picks or intentional money.  It would be one thing if you plan on saving the total outlay at that position, but if you are going after a marquee replacement (Bryant certainly would be when you consider the prospect outlay required to get him and Donaldson is not too far behind in cost either), you may end up spending more when you account for dollar value a young controllable MLB caliber player brings.

I'm sure Rizzo has plan A, B, C, and D for 3rd base. Heard him on 106.7 a few hours ago and the fact he took time from the Winter Meetings to get on the radio in DC says a lot about this Org and his character.

He deserves a huge contract extension ASAP.  He's as much a part of this org as Strasburg.

• Like 2

Who the hell is John Feinstein's constituency anyways?  Like, who is the market for bad takes that are nearly entirely built upon nostalgia of "how things used to be" even before baby boomers and lamenting that things have changed without any understanding of why they changed.  Who is tuning in to listen to a dissertation on why this year's Army/Navy game REALLY MATTERS?  

7 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Who the hell is John Feinstein's constituency anyways?  Like, who is the market for bad takes that are nearly entirely built upon nostalgia of "how things used to be" even before baby boomers and lamenting that things have changed without any understanding of why they changed.  Who is tuning in to listen to a dissertation on why this year's Army/Navy game REALLY MATTERS?  

He has a weird following of sycophants that assuage his ego. He's even a condescending dick to his colleagues.

4 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

Fartstein claims to be the only guy "brave" enough to criticize the Nats for shutting down Strasburg...

It really is ok to admit you were hilariously wrong about something (fwiw,  even if we never won the WS, Stras post '12 has proven the pro shutdown folks right anyway).

I have no idea why people see it as some sort of weakness. Its sad

• Like 2