Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

I mean, let’s pump the ****ing breaks. Stras opted out to get no less than the largest deal for a pitcher in history and added fully $10 million to the Nats yearly CBT. Good on him for letting them defer some money, but lets not act like he’s bending over backwards here. Jeez. 

27 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I mean, let’s pump the ****ing breaks. Stras opted out to get no less than the largest deal for a pitcher in history and added fully $10 million to the Nats yearly CBT. Good on him for letting them defer some money, but lets not act like he’s bending over backwards here. Jeez. 

PB = Mark Lerner confirmed 😢

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Hey, man. Gotta make what you’re worth.  I think of it like this... Stras 7/245 WS MVP... Cole 9/324 😳

• Like 2

I like Rendon and everything, but they should take whatever they're trying to give him and just give it to Soto instead.  Keep that dude in DC for life.  Letting Harper walk is most likely going to be a good move (looks like it already is!), but Soto is already better than Harper and it's not particularly close.  

Edited by Spaceman Spiff
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I like Rendon and everything, but they should take whatever they're trying to give him and just give it to Soto instead.  Keep that dude in DC for life.  Letting Harper walk is most likely going to be a good move (looks like it already is!), but Soto is already better than Harper and it's not particularly close.  

Rizzo said somethin during the season or earlier in the playoffs about extending him early. Even an early extension is looking at 8/160 or 10/200. That number is probably the low end after what he did in the playoffs

Trea is also due for an extension before too long. We saw how shaky things were when he was out of the lineup early in the year

Hard decisions to be made, easier to digest after winning the championship tho.

Edited by StillUnknown

6 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

Rizzo said somethin during the season or earlier in the playoffs about extending him early. Even an early extension is looking at 8/160 or 10/200. That number is probably the low end after what he did in the playoffs

Trea is also due for an extension before too long. We saw how shaky things were when he was out of the lineup early in the year

Hard decisions to be made, easier to digest after winning the championship tho.

Trea is a speed guy.  Unless you're Rickey Henderson or Tim Raines, the odds are of that guy aging well aren't that great.  And he's a middle infielder, those guys don't typically age well, either.  I get the idea of wanting to keep the band together because this has been a blast but not everyone can be saved, nor should they.  Hard decisions, indeed.  

2 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Trea is a speed guy.  Unless you're Rickey Henderson or Tim Raines, the odds are of that guy aging well aren't that great.  And he's a middle infielder, those guys don't typically age well, either.  I get the idea of wanting to keep the band together because this has been a blast but not everyone can be saved, nor should they.  Hard decisions, indeed.  

He's more than speed, it just happens to be his best trait. Trea could lose speed and still be plenty fast enough to steal 40 bases. He's already a good hitter, with room for improvement, and 20+ homeruns in his bat. He's not terribly behind Soto & Rendon in terms of importance to our offense

Edited by StillUnknown
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

He's more than speed, it just happens to be his best trait. Trea could lose speed and still be plenty fast enough to steal 40 bases. He's already a good hitter, with room for improvement, and 20+ homeruns in his bat. He's terribly behind Soto & Rendon in terms of importance to our offense

I don't disagree that he's a good hitter...he is.  But you touched on it, his speed is his best trait.  

129 players hit 20+ homers last year, power is not a unique asset in this day and age.  Without his speed, he's just another guy.  His speed and everything that comes along with it (stolen bases, being able to take an extra base, being able to fill in an outfield spot in a pinch, defensive range in the infield) is what makes him unique.  

20 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Understand Trea is a "speed" guy. But he's not a Juan Pierro-Luis Castillo (career .361 and .351 SLG), slap-in-on-the-ground-and-run. He has a lot more pop, and not just because of the rabbit ball. He's a 4-5 WAR SS with more pop and speed. Also, all of his injuries are to his fingers/hands/wrists. No leg injuries.

And you did just say "unless he's a HOFer he isn't going to age well..."

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I don't disagree that he's a good hitter...he is.  But you touched on it, his speed is his best trait.  

129 players hit 20+ homers last year, power is not a unique asset in this day and age.  Without his speed, he's just another guy.  His speed and everything that comes along with it (stolen bases, being able to take an extra base, being able to fill in an outfield spot in a pinch, defensive range in the infield) is what makes him unique.  

I kinda get what you're saying, but i dont thin he'll ever get to a point where he is "without" his speed. He is arguably the fastest player in the game. Even when he naturally regresses, he will still have plenty speed to still be more than effective in a baseball context

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Understand Trea is a "speed" guy. But he's not a Juan Pierro-Luis Castillo (career .361 and .351 SLG), slap-in-on-the-ground-and-run. He has a lot more pop, and not just because of the rabbit ball. He's a 4-5 WAR SS with more pop and speed. Also, all of his injuries are to his fingers/hands/wrists. No leg injuries.

And you did just say "unless he's a HOFer he isn't going to age well..."

I'm not sure what you're saying here.  Those are two speed guys that bucked the trend and aged well, sure they're Hall of Famers. The landscape is littered with way more speed guys who didn't age well.  Leg injuries have nothing to do with it, as you get older the wheels just don't move as fast.  

I'm not sure how you can differentiate pop between guys who legitimately have it because they have it and those who are taking advantage of the rabbit ball.  Do the homers for the players we really like count as guys who have legit pop?  How can you say he's got more pop but just not because of the rabbit ball when practically EVERYONE has more pop because of the rabbit ball?

Also how can you say he's a 4-5 WAR SS when he's only put up a 4 WAR season once, by both baseball reference and fangraphs? 

I'm not saying I don't like Trea Turner, I do.  I think he's a good ballplayer and he's fun to watch.  And I get that you guys are emotionally invested into him.  But I don't think spending a lot of money on him is a necessarily wise idea.  

2 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

I kinda get what you're saying, but i dont thin he'll ever get to a point where he is "without" his speed. He is arguably the fastest player in the game. Even when he naturally regresses, he will still have plenty speed to still be more than effective in a baseball context

I understand, he still should have more than most.  And he doesn't seem to have a body type that'll hinder him, either.

6 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I'm not sure what you're saying here.  Those are two speed guys that bucked the trend and aged well, sure they're Hall of Famers. The landscape is littered with way more speed guys who didn't age well.  Leg injuries have nothing to do with it, as you get older the wheels just don't move as fast.  

You basicially said that unless he's a Hall of Famer he won't age well. Kind of a high bar there...

7 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I'm not sure how you can differentiate pop between guys who legitimately have it because they have it and those who are taking advantage of the rabbit ball.  Do the homers for the players we really like count as guys who have legit pop?  How can you say he's got more pop but just not because of the rabbit ball when practically EVERYONE has more pop because of the rabbit ball?

Through 2124 PAs, he has a .467 SLG. Pretty sure he has legitimate pop--depending on when the rabbit ball was first introduced (MLB is releasing a statement today on that). He's not a 30 HR guy or MVP candidate, but he's a very good player. Simply saying he is a "speed" guy limits his overall skill set. He's excellent defensively, and is a good hitter overall--regardless of his speed.

11 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Also how can you say he's a 4-5 WAR SS when he's only put up a 4 WAR season once, by both baseball reference and fangraphs? 

Because he's been limited by games played. 4.1 WAR in 162 games in 2018, and probably his worst offensive season.
2016: 3.4 WAR in 73 games
2017: 2.6 in 98 games
2019: 2.4 in 122 games

They are all between 4 and 5 WAR over a full season, save 2019.