Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

1 minute ago, Riggo#44 said:

You basicially said that unless he's a Hall of Famer he won't age well. Kind of a high bar there...

Through 2124 PAs, he has a .467 SLG. Pretty sure he has legitimate pop--depending on when the rabbit ball was first introduced (MLB is releasing a statement today on that). He's not a 30 HR guy or MVP candidate, but he's a very good player. Simply saying he is a "speed" guy limits his overall skill set. He's excellent defensively, and is a good hitter overall--regardless of his speed.

Because he's been limited by games played. 4.1 WAR in 162 games in 2018, and probably his worst offensive season.
2016: 3.4 WAR in 73 games
2017: 2.6 in 98 games
2019: 2.4 in 122 games

They are all between 4 and 5 WAR over a full season, save 2019.

Ok, find me another ballplayer who's a speed guy who didn't age well and didn't make the Hall of Fame.  Brian Roberts comes to mind.  His base stealing days were done by the time he was age 31.  Vince Coleman comes to mind, pretty much done as a base stealer by age 33.  Harold Reynolds, done as a base stealer by age 30.  

Again, you're missing the point.  HIS SPEED IS WHAT SETS HIM APART.  IT MAKES HIM UNIQUE.  THERE'S NO ONE ELSE LIKE HIM.   Yes, he is a speed guy, @StillUnknown said it, he's the fastest player in the game.  Saying that it's the primary focus of what makes him great, that it's the BEST thing about his game doesn't diminish the rest of what he does.  

As mentioned, 129 players hit 20 homers last year.  4 players stole more bases than Trea Turner and none of them stole at a better clip than he did.  He is defined as a speed guy.  

6 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Again, you're missing the point.  HIS SPEED IS WHAT SETS HIM APART.  IT MAKES HIM UNIQUE.  THERE'S NO ONE ELSE LIKE HIM.   Yes, he is a speed guy, @StillUnknown said it, he's the fastest player in the game.  Saying that it's the primary focus of what makes him great, that it's the BEST thing about his game doesn't diminish the rest of what he does.  

Ok, understand where you're coming from now. I took it was he was JUST a speed guy. Clearly not the case. Speed is his best asset and accentuates his overall good skillset game.

Brian Roberts is interesting--he has a rather similar offensive profile and just cratered in 2010. Played just 283 games over 5 years after that. Injuries suck and are totally unpredictable, for the most part.

1 minute ago, Riggo#44 said:

Ok, understand where you're coming from now. I took it was he was JUST a speed guy. Clearly not the case. Speed is his best asset and accentuates his overall good skillset game.

Brian Roberts is interesting--he has a rather similar offensive profile and just cratered in 2010. Played just 283 games over 5 years after that. Injuries suck and are totally unpredictable, for the most part.

He ****ing whacked himself on his batting helmet with his bat after striking out and gave himself a concussion that he never really recovered from.  I am not making this up.  If he were a football player, he'd have been a Redskin for sure.

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

He ****ing whacked himself on his batting helmet with his bat after striking out and gave himself a concussion that he never really recovered from.  I am not making this up.  If he were a football player, he'd have been a Redskin for sure.

Ok. That was predictable...

One more thing about Trea. What he did this year, he did with 9 fingers. How have we not been calling him Frodo Baggins?

2 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Ok. That was predictable...

One more thing about Trea. What he did this year, he did with 9 fingers. How have we not been calling him Frodo Baggins?

:ols:

I'd really like to see Trea put together an injury free season and see what he can do over a full 162.  I know he played in every game in 2018, I think he's improved as a hitter since then.  He should be entering his prime right now, it'll be interesting to see what he can do if healthy for a full season.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

:ols:

I'd really like to see Trea put together an injury free season and see what he can do over a full 162.  I know he played in every game in 2018, I think he's improved as a hitter since then.  He should be entering his prime right now, it'll be interesting to see what he can do if healthy for a full season.

We also have another 20 HR-50 SB player in Victor Robles. Even with an 88 OPS+, he put up a 4.1 WAR rookie year. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I do believe much of that WAR is from his defense.  If you've got a CFer that good with the glove, that's awesome.

With all the talk about Tatis Jr., Vladdy Jr., Acuna, Soto, et al as the young, exciting Latino wave coming in, people over look how good Victor Robles is.

31 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

He gotta be a distant cousin of Gus Frerotte 

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Who the hell is John Feinstein's constituency anyways?  Like, who is the market for bad takes that are nearly entirely built upon nostalgia of "how things used to be" even before baby boomers and lamenting that things have changed without any understanding of why they changed.  Who is tuning in to listen to a dissertation on why this year's Army/Navy game REALLY MATTERS?  

I tweeted the Junks about bringing up how the shutdown is a reason Stras is coming back, when they talk to Feinstein on Friday.  

It must have gotten under his skin because he replied to me lol.

Edited by purbeast

20 minutes ago, purbeast said:

I tweeted the Junks about bringing up how the shutdown is a reason Stras is coming back, when they talk to Feinstein on Friday.  

It must have gotten under his skin because he replied to me lol.

LOL... Feinstein's response is so defensive it's hilarious.  At this point, what does Strasburg have to posture about (re: the shutdown and his decision to re-sign) since he already signed the contract.  

21 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

... remember when  Bubble Screen tried to argue that Julio Teheran was better than Stras ...

old enough to remember trolls on here claiming Strasburgs' mechanics ... the flying v or something ... were so bad he would not last.  

good times.

• Like 1