Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

21 hours ago, EmirOfShmo said:

Yay...Nats on MASN at 1:05pm in RVA today.

Rutledge off to a bad start. Walked the bases loaded & 26 pitches. Ground out to end the inning - 27 pitches 1 K 3BB

Evidently Rutledge was experimenting with a cutter.

Mason Thompson will have TJ (his second). It’s a shame, when he’s on, he can be lights out. They have done a good job of getting bullpen arms that can help out. Probably four guys who could go on the 40 day IL.

Hassell with a double to left field. He is hitting the ball the opposite way with power. Very excited about him turning things around like House did last season.

If you can, watch a replay of Wood’s infield single. The ball wasn’t hit softly. The 3B caught it deep in the 5.5 hole, but Wood has blazing speed. He’s so smooth athletically.

3 hours ago, Ball Security said:

Evidently Rutledge was experimenting with a cutter.

Mason Thompson will have TJ (his second). It’s a shame, when he’s on, he can be lights out. They have done a good job of getting bullpen arms that can help out. Probably four guys who could go on the 40 day IL.

Hassell with a double to left field. He is hitting the ball the opposite way with power. Very excited about him turning things around like House did last season.

If you can, watch a replay of Wood’s infield single. The ball wasn’t hit softly. The 3B caught it deep in the 5.5 hole, but Wood has blazing speed. He’s so smooth athletically.

I didn't know that about Rutledge. That's good. He got hit a bit in the 2nd but had much better control. 

Hassell looks so confident at the plate. He also made a nice grab in CF. 

Yeah, I saw the Wood hit live. I didn't realize he had that kind of speed - I think they said 4.07 to 1st & is the fastest on the team.

Crews with another SB yesterday.

Impressed by all of the pitching yesterday - Herz was a mixed bag of good and bad pitching. He, too, may have been working on a new pitch.

They said the catchers will be spending more time on 1 knee this season even with runners on base. I think it helps them frame pitches better & gives the umps a better view. I noticed the Sox doing the same with their catchers. 

Early in Spring Training I don't get too into the pitchers getting hit around because like others have said, they aren't throwing their best or even good stuff right now. They need to be working on their weaker pitchers and now is when they need to do it. Doesn't mean they are going to be ok when the season starts. But if someone is dominant right now, I'm suspicious. 

Just now, EmirOfShmo said:

I didn't know that about Rutledge. That's good. He got hit a bit in the 2nd but had much better control. 

Hassell looks so confident at the plate. He also made a nice grab in CF. 

Yeah, I saw the Wood hit live. I didn't realize he had that kind of speed - I think they said 4.07 to 1st & is the fastest on the team.

Crews with another SB yesterday.

Impressed by all of the pitching yesterday - Herz was a mixed bag of good and bad pitching. He, too, may have been working on a new pitch.

They said the catchers will be spending more time on 1 knee this season even with runners on base. I think it helps them frame pitches better & gives the umps a better view. I noticed the Sox doing the same with their catchers. 

I’ve been fortunate to watch a lot of prospects these past two years in Fredericksburg (great place to watch baseball game, can’t recommend it enough).

When they made the Soto trade and had Wood, Green, and Hassell in the pipeline with the likelihood of taking an OF in the 2023 draft. A lot of people assumed that Wood would be pushed to first base because of his height. But if you watch him play, he moves like an NBA wing player. He got a double on a base hit to center which would be a single for most players. He made catches in CF where he just glides to the ball.

It’s awesome to think that they could have three CFs patrolling the OF soon. I would love to pitch with that behind me.

• Like 1

All three of Wood's homers have been rockets--all of them 100+ MPH EV, 400+ moonshots. House's homer was a bomb, Hassell has been hitting the ball hard. While stats in Spring Training are meaningless, these guys aren't hitting BABIP bloopers, they're hitting rockets.

57 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

All three of Wood's homers have been rockets--all of them 100+ MPH EV, 400+ moonshots. House's homer was a bomb, Hassell has been hitting the ball hard. While stats in Spring Training are meaningless, these guys aren't hitting BABIP bloopers, they're hitting rockets.

Crews doesn’t have the same outcomes as Wood, House, and Hassell, but he has made some good contact that hasn’t dropped for hits. As you say, ST stats need to be viewed in context.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

We have no idea if he's making the major league squad or not. They might withhold him until the summer for service time manipulation.

I think MLB tweaked the rules so that there's less incentive or less ability to manipulate service time. I caught fragments of a conversation about that on 106.7 the other day.

Interesting that Toronto has zero also. They’re supposed to be pretty good and have a sizable fan base.

ESPN cramming the same 6 teams over and over again. Their coverage sucks hot holy ass

• Thumb up 1