Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

I just switch to FuboTV. I get to watch the Nationals this year!! **** you YouTubeTV and MASN. Mostly MASN though.

I am giddy over what Law said about Gore. One thing I like about Law and BA rather than prospect writers at FanGraphs or BaseballProspectus is they are actively scouting the players--not just reading metrics and watching a little video.

Mackenzie Gore started the game for the big-league side and was, as you might expect, pretty dominant. He was 95-98 mph with five distinct pitches, including a changeup that was easily plus when he finished it — with two sailing to the backstop — as well as a tight curveball, power slider up to 92, and a “sweeper” or whatever you want to call it at 84-86 that had a sharper, more vertical break than the slider did. The four-seamer was the worst pitch he threw, even though he did blow it by some guys; in the middle of the zone, even some of the kids could square it up. He looked like a guy in his last or second-to-last spring training start, just getting tuned up for the regular season.

Gore only threw 65 pitches in four innings, getting 18 swings and misses in that span, which would be a lot of swings and misses for a big-league starter in a regular-season game where he threw 100 pitches. Everyone is so eager to say that this guy in Double A or that guy in Triple A is ready to hit in the majors, but it turns out that hitting major-league pitching is really hard, even for some of the best prospects in baseball. Gore faced all of the starters for the prospect side, including three first-round picks, one sandwich-round pick, and one second-rounder, and he carved them up like they were just some Easter ham. So for everyone arguing the very talented James Wood should have made the Nats’ Opening Day roster after a great spring, well, it’s not as easy as it looks.

On Wood:

Wood did have one of the only hits off Gore, getting a slider up that caught too much of the zone and staying with it to line it to the left field corner for a double, a great result for Wood given that he’s also a left-handed hitter. His second at-bat was a strikeout on that sweeper where he tried to check his swing but didn’t pick up the pitch in time. He still runs extremely well and while he started in right field, I have no reservations about his defense in center. It’s all going to come down to whether he can make consistent contact at the plate.

Crews:

Dylan Crews was the starter in center, and he was fine out there, if unchallenged. He looks bigger and stronger than when I saw him last year, either in April at LSU or in September for Harrisburg, particularly in his lower half. He punched out on one of those plus changeups from Gore the first time up, then lined a curveball to right for a single the next time against the southpaw, followed by a hard grounder (106 mph off the bat) for a fielder’s choice off a slider from right-hander Trevor Williams. Wood is starting in Triple A, and Crews in Double A, but given my history with both guys and their pitch data from last year, I think Crews is closer to being ready to hit big-league pitching right now. Both should spend at least half of 2024 in the majors, though.

Law was less than enthused about Lipscomb, Rutledge and Garcia. Man, we should have taken Brooks Lee instead of Green.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

51 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Scherzer's best was better than anyone else's best, but he wasn't here as long as the others and doesn't have that "face of the franchise" status the way Zimm and Stras do. But he will be the first curly dub in Cooperstown.

I dunno.  Zimm is certainly up there and you'll hear no arguments from me that he wasn't the face of the franchise due to his longevity and just who he is as a person.  I love Zimm.  But in terms of greatness, Scherzer vastly overshadows him.  Zimm was one of the better third basemen during his prime and a 2 time all star.  Scherzer is arguably the best pitcher of his generation and was an AS almost every year of his prime (8 times in 9 years, one year he was hurt and only made 12 starts). Most of his prime was with the Nats (see below).

In terms of Scherzer v. Stras, I think it's Stras' moments versus Scherzer's consistent dominance.  

Obviously Stras' debut is legendary, and his WS performance was epic.  That said:

Scherzer had 92 wins for the Nats in basically 6.5 years (he was traded midseason to the Dodgers).

Stras had 113 wins for the Nats in his whole 13 year career.

Scherzer was an all star 5 times, i.e., every year he was a Nat except one.

Stras was an all star 3 times in 13 years.

Scherzer won the Cy Young for the Nats twice. 

Stras none.

Scherzer set the tone for the whole team when he was here with his ferocious competitiveness.

Stras......did not.  Which is why he was never the face of the franchise (and didn't want to be).

Stras had the dominant WS MVP year.  But if you look at the whole playoff run, Scherzer was just as important.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, bcl05 said:

Don't make me pick between Stras/Max/Zimm.  I'll love them all forever.  2019 was pure magic.

So many heroes: Eaton, Kendrick, Soto, Rendon, Cabrera, Parra, Suzuki, Gomes, Doolittle, Huddy...

• Thumb up 1

48 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I just switch to FuboTV. I get to watch the Nationals this year!! **** you YouTubeTV and MASN. Mostly MASN though.

I am giddy over what Law said about Gore. One thing I like about Law and BA rather than prospect writers at FanGraphs or BaseballProspectus is they are actively scouting the players--not just reading metrics and watching a little video.

On Wood:

Crews:

Law was less than enthused about Lipscomb, Rutledge and Garcia. Man, we should have taken Brooks Lee instead of Green.

I'm resubbing Fubo too. I cancelled youtube tv last night. I haven't watched Nats games on tv in years, it's been all Charlie and Dave because of the issues.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Metalhead said:

I'm resubbing Fubo too. I cancelled youtube tv last night. I haven't watched Nats games on tv in years, it's been all Charlie and Dave because of the issues.

I already like David Rubenstein.

• Like 2

For Fubo, apparently the Regional Sports is not included in the price even though it is advertised as such. Pro is 79.99 and then another $14.99 for Regional Sports, and $6.36 for "taxes". Everything is getting insane now with these prices for streaming services. This alone is more than my monthly bill for internet. Looks like I'm sticking with Charlie, Dave and the occasional non-blackout on the MLB tv app.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumb down 1

yep that's confusing. Angelos and company make it so difficult to watch online.

Luckily I know my sources for third party streaming so watching online when I feel like it shouldn't be an issue.

About to head out to the bar and drink beer and watch the Nats.

1 hour ago, Metalhead said:

For Fubo, apparently the Regional Sports is not included in the price even though it is advertised as such. Pro is 79.99 and then another $14.99 for Regional Sports, and $6.36 for "taxes". Everything is getting insane now with these prices for streaming services. This alone is more than my monthly bill for internet. Looks like I'm sticking with Charlie, Dave and the occasional non-blackout on the MLB tv app.

Uggh. That’s so frustrating. I have Hulu at $82 all in. Thought about dropping that for Fubo. Probably not now.

That’s a thumbs down for the information, not you @Metalhead. 😎

Edited by Ball Security