Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

On 3/2/2024 at 11:04 AM, Riggo#44 said:

Interesting that Toronto has zero also. They’re supposed to be pretty good and have a sizable fan base.

ESPN cramming the same 6 teams over and over again. Their coverage sucks hot holy ass

Baseball is stuck between a rock and a hard place with their coverage.  Most of the big stars play in the big markets (NYY, LAD, ATL, BOS, CHC, etc), so that’s why you see the same 6-8 teams on National TV.  Also, baseball is the most regionalized sport of the 4 major sports by far.  If you’re a baseball fan, chances are that you just watch your team, but you don’t watch other baseball games.  The ratings really reflect this.  Ratings for local baseball teams are as good as they ever have been, but ratings for nationally televised games are at historic lows.  

I’m a Nats fan (of course), so I’ll watch the Nats play, but I could care less about other baseball games going on.  I might watch if Ohtani is playing, but that’s it.  A vast majority of baseball fans are the same way apparently.

Edited by samy316
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ixcuincle said:

it sucks 0 Nats games are on nationally forcing me to listen to radio nearly every game. masn still won't be on yttv 🤬

I mean, what do you expect?  We’re in year 3 of a 4-5 year rebuild, and we have absolutely NO recognizable stars or familiar names that would merit interest in this team outside of our fan base.  We’re projected to be a Bottom 5 worst team in baseball this season, so that’s why we have no nationally televised games.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Wood is in the lineup again. Maybe it's just me, but he's got the most At Bats on the team. Is there a chance they're throwing him out there so much to see if he's ready to open the season on the roster?

• Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

I don't know why the Nats wouldn't start Wood on the OD roster, unless they're concerned with gaming his service clock.  But there's no real good reason to do that.  Nats need to play their young talent, he should be up on Day 1.  

8 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I don't know why the Nats wouldn't start Wood on the OD roster, unless they're concerned with gaming his service clock.  But there's no real good reason to do that.  Nats need to play their young talent, he should be up on Day 1.  

It’s not all that dissimilar to what the Orioles did with Rutschman who was two years older when he was held back.

2 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

It’s not all that dissimilar to what the Orioles did with Rutschman who was two years older when he was held back.

Yeah, and that was dumb.  AR should have been up earlier than the year they brought him up.

Difference here is that AR went to college and was already older when he was drafted.  Wood didn't go to school, he's still got some time on his side but I don't see what good it is to hold him down.  Nats future starts now, especially if they're going to bring up Crews this season, too.

I’d put Wood at AAA. I want to see if his contact issues last year are resolved. Crews, House, and Hassell at AA. I’m fighting the urge to get swayed by ESSTSS, and want to bring them along slower.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Riggo#44 said:

I’d put Wood at AAA. I want to see if his contact issues last year are resolved. Crews, House, and Hassell at AA. I’m fighting the urge to get swayed by ESSTSS, and want to bring them along slower.

I’d have House at AAA so I can have Morales at AA. (They need to move on from Wilmington). Call, Young, Wood in AAA. Lile, Crews, and Hassell as the AA outfield. Pickney, De La Rosa, McKenzie A+. Green, Vaquero, and Cox A.

4 hours ago, Ball Security said:

Nats signing Eddie Rosario to a split contract. The timing seems odd. Unless they are starting to get worried about Meneses at 1B and want to play Gallo there.

Menses is 1-fer this spring. I'm not sure if that's how he normally starts but it's concerning. 

3 hours ago, Ball Security said:

I’d have House at AAA so I can have Morales at AA. (They need to move on from Wilmington).

House only played in 88 games last year--but was really good. Morales was in Wilmington for 18 games. I'd probably start both there with quicker promotions, if need be. House had a 28% K rate at AA, so he has somethings to work on.

But yes, Wilmington sucks. I hate playing there

32 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

It's a reminder to us that with this low sample size, the numbers vary a lot. He went from a bad OPS of .673, to a great OPS of 1.087.

Maybe we shouldn't read too much into Wood's OPS, given he also struck out twice today.

Nope. They are both first ballot HOFers.

• Haha 1
  • Thumb up 1

Gallo gets another shot tonight, but he's been having the roughest Spring Training of his career. Here's his triple slash line .059/.111/.118 for an OPS of .229. He's struck out 61.1% of the time.

Hopefully he's not cooked, but that fork is getting close.

Edit: And he follows it up with a 2 single and 1 strikeout game. This means I need to complain about players more often.

Edited by Always A Commander Never A Captain
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

I should stop looking at Spring Training stats. Data collection has gotta be an afterthought. There's no way we threw this few pitches.

image.png.45238d19035e218968030c031c0c4eb6.png

Has to be a typo. Half his pitches were just the 3 BB's and 2 K's (18 pitches minimum). If you add up everybody's pitches it comes out to 53 total in nine innings.