Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

1 hour ago, Ball Security said:

Nationals signed Zach Davies to a minor league deal. He has a shot at making the fifth starter spot and moving Williams to the bullpen.

I’d love to move Williams off the roster 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

It's a terrible decision.  Should have taken out an insurance policy.  If the policy was cost prohibitive, it should've been a huge red flag and a sign that the contract may be bad idea.  Having signed the contract without an insurance policy in place, you live up to the contract.  Dragging a can barely lift my arm Strasburg to training camp for some kind of meaningless leverage in buyout negotiations is how you torpedo the team's reputation with the rest of the players in the league.  

• Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

21 minutes ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

That’s not too surprising. Though I don’t really know what kind of situation they are in with the commercial real estate market the way it is.

With the sales price of the Orioles being so low, I can see them holding on until things look better - both on the field and when broadcasting rights get figured out.

If you’re not going to sell, you should look into locking up Abrams and House.

8 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

Maybe they'll start spending again, like the old days.

Sad that the Nationals made me seriously hope MLB instituted a salary floor lol. What they are doing year after year is not okay.

Do you think the Orioles are regretting what they did in 2019-2022?

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Beat me to it. Or the Astros, Braves, Cubs, or the Nationals? Why is this so hard for people to understand?

• Like 1

Aren't we still near the bottom in minor league development staff and analytics payrolls? I have a doubt the younger Lerners will spend while they wait for the teams market value to increase. Whether that's from resolution of the MASN deal or not.

The not selling in the near future doesn't look so good for the 5 year window of our top heavy farm system.

1 hour ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Aren't we still near the bottom in minor league development staff and analytics payrolls? I have a doubt the younger Lerners will spend while they wait for the teams market value to increase. Whether that's from resolution of the MASN deal or not.

The not selling in the near future doesn't look so good for the 5 year window of our top heavy farm system.

This is from 2022, and I think we’ve expanded since.

IMG_3168.jpeg

3 hours ago, Ball Security said:

That's a loaded question now that they'll have a new owner.

I'm happy for the Nats, the sale thing was a distraction, no other way around it.

There's a lot of ways to win, but finally sounds like that's gonna be the primary focus again.

This is probably the only good thing Angelos has ever done for the Nats, and arguably the best (sell his own damn team).

14 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

That's a loaded question now that they'll have a new owner.

I'm happy for the Nats, the sale thing was a distraction, no other way around it.

There's a lot of ways to win, but finally sounds like that's gonna be the primary focus again.

This is probably the only good thing Angelos has ever done for the Nats, and arguably the best (sell his own damn team).

I mean, they won 100+ games last year under Angelos.

They tore it down after a failed 2017-2018 season. And built it back up with a loaded roster and farm. A farm so deep that they were the best in baseball, traded assets to get one of the best pitchers in the game and still have the best farm system.

I’m sure O’s fans like that better than the ‘98-‘11 era of FA half measures striving, but failing to make it to .500.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

I mean, they won 100+ games last year under Angelos.

They tore it down after a failed 2017-2018 season. And built it back up with a loaded roster and farm. A farm so deep that they were the best in baseball, traded assets to get one of the best pitchers in the game and still have the best farm system.

I’m sure O’s fans like that better than the ‘98-‘11 era of FA half measures striving, but failing to make it to .500.

They're in a division where all that may be necessary jus to be competitive...

Not jus what Yankees and Red Sox can bring at any moment because of being willing to spend the money, but the Rays just always seem to have their **** together these days (truly remarkable for a small market team).

I respect the O's current position, same time outside lookin in they may need more then they coulda got under Angelos to get to a potentially necessary next level.

Edit: there's really nowhere to go but up from a playoff standpoint after way they got kicked out last year, but they will have competition for spots, it's not like anyone expects them to run the division the next couple years

Edited by Renegade7

52 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

This is from 2022, and I think we’ve expanded since.

IMG_3168.jpeg

I know we've hired a bunch since then, but we've also fired a bunch too. Feels like every year we churn through half the development staff.

Phillies, Dodgers, and Rays being that high makes sense. Phillies kind of came out of nowhere recently to be a contender.

The Orioles situation was different from the Nationals.

Right now it's difficult to imagine a 100 win Nationals team a few years from now. 

People say we can't spend bcause this team sucks. But the Rangers went from 100 losses to a WS almost instantaneously by spending.

biggest excuse Nats, Rizzo and everyone gives for not spending this year is that "the sale situation is finally resolved" / "nobody wants to play for a loser". Well, if they continue to be cheap next offseason I'm not sure I can take anymore. Zuckerman says that is when they should open up the checkbooks again. Real shame they skimped for so long. You won't win much looking through the MLB Goodwill...

12 hours ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Phillies, Dodgers, and Rays being that high makes sense. Phillies kind of came out of nowhere recently to be a contender.

Because they have an astronomical payroll. But I think their window is going to be short. They have a bad farm system (ranked 25th or so?) and an aging, expensive roster.

1 hour ago, ixcuincle said:

But the Rangers went from 100 losses to a WS almost instantaneously by spending.

They also have a terrific farm system

10 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Hard to find a buyer for a shack when you’re next to the nicest house in town. 

Baltimore median income: $58,349

Washington DC median income: $101,722

Yeah, total poverty. We won the same amount of playoff games last year too.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, ixcuincle said:

The Orioles situation was different from the Nationals.

Right now it's difficult to imagine a 100 win Nationals team a few years from now. 

People say we can't spend bcause this team sucks. But the Rangers went from 100 losses to a WS almost instantaneously by spending.

biggest excuse Nats, Rizzo and everyone gives for not spending this year is that "the sale situation is finally resolved" / "nobody wants to play for a loser". Well, if they continue to be cheap next offseason I'm not sure I can take anymore. Zuckerman says that is when they should open up the checkbooks again. Real shame they skimped for so long. You won't win much looking through the MLB Goodwill...

How was the Orioles situation different? Just because you say it is? I’ll hang up and listen.

1 hour ago, Riggo#44 said:

Because they have an astronomical payroll. But I think their window is going to be short. They have a bad farm system (ranked 25th or so?) and an aging, expensive roster.

Admittedly I don't know details about their situation. But their 2018 and 2019 1st rounders are regular starters. If those extra staff helped them develop then it's worth it. Could they have helped their pitchers develop?

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Wanna trade the Nats future for the Orioles future?  You're lying if you say no. 

No thanks. I prefer my city and team to be able to support their own, without having to rely on another.

32 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Admittedly I don't know details about their situation. But their 2018 and 2019 1st rounders are regular starters. If those extra staff helped them develop then it's worth it. Could they have helped their pitchers develop?

Alec Bohm, in 456 games, has compiled 0.8 bWAR.

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Wanna trade the Nats future for the Orioles future?  You're lying if you say no. 

You know that the future is fickle, right?  All it takes is a couple of injuries, or the Yankees & Red Sox spending money to stop that bright future.  As far as the Nats are concerned, we're maybe 2 years away from being in your position.  When we last had a long rebuild, we were able to win that WS, after a couple of years of heartbreak.  Can the O's cash in with their window?  You better hope so, or there'll be many more years of disappointment for O's fans, on top of the 40+ years of disappointment you've already experienced.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1