Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

Just now, Ball Security said:

Is the guy on the right the guy we got from Baltimore?

Also, the Abrams streetwear bobble head is a lot of “huh???”

The hockey jersey is pretty dope.

he's not a player he's the chief revenue officer

32 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

The Angelos sale of the Orioles is a good development for us. Potentially gets us out of the MASN fiasco.

I wonder if that will remove that MASN roadblock to a sale as well. Although Rubenstein was part of Leonsis team, so I wonder who would be interested. I don't hate the Lerners as most do, but I won't cry if/when they sell.

7 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I wonder if that will remove that MASN roadblock to a sale as well. Although Rubenstein was part of Leonsis team, so I wonder who would be interested. I don't hate the Lerners as most do, but I won't cry if/when they sell.

I really would prefer not to have Leonsis. I get hardcore Caps and Wizards fans not liking him. But I can’t get down with him trying to put hundreds of millions of dollars on VA tax payers to move them eight miles. And, more importantly, selling a stake of his interest to Qatar Investment Authority feels way off.

Maybe Taylor Swift buys them.

1 hour ago, CRobi21 said:

Too much wishful thinking to expect Manfred to clean this mess up at the most optimal time...

The the Nationals ownership should be pushing for enough owners to reject this. Just need 25% I think. Washington making more TV negotiating their own broadcast deal + upping the value of the franchise to sell is more money in the pockets of other owners and increased value of their clubs. 

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, CRobi21 said:

Too much wishful thinking to expect Manfred to clean this mess up at the most optimal time...

There was no way it wasn’t being included in the sale. That’s a valuable asset for Angelos. The hope has to be the new owners are more willing to reach a settlement. 

9 minutes ago, TheGoodBits said:

There was no way it wasn’t being included in the sale. That’s a valuable asset for Angelos. The hope has to be the new owners are more willing to reach a settlement. 

We'll see. Get a handful of owners who see they'd personally gain by blowing this up. Not just AL East teams but the bottom 5-10 Valued franchises. Then go from there. 

Edited by @DCGoldPants

Leonsis Expected to Acquire MASN as Part of Orioles Sale

https://theathletic.com/5242865/2024/02/01/baltimore-orioles-sale-valuation/

From The Athletic:

"MASN is included in the Rubenstein group's purchase, and some in the industry expect the group to sell the network to Ted Leonsis, the owner of NHL, NBA and WNBA franchises in Washington and a different regional sports network, Monumental, that broadcasts all three teams. Like all regional sports networks in this era of cord-cutting, MASN is not as valuable as it once was. But Leonsis at least might want to purchase the Orioles' TV rights to enhance his programming on Monumental in the spring, summer and fall."

Edited by CRobi21
  • Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

I've lost all respect for Ghiroli since her awful, ill-informed, and just false statements around Rizzo's extension. She said they have buyers? Who? Leonsis was the only one to make an actual bid, 2 years ago. There has been nothing around this since. She dislikes Mark Lerner almost on a personal level--she writes nothing about the other, demonstrably worse owners like Castellini and Nutting. Lerner has said, as she says in the last paragraph, that is he in it for the long haul. Ok. She spends the entire article ignoring that statement. It's odd.

That said, it will be interested to see what happens if MASN does get sold to Leonsis and we get fair market value here. Also, I saw the O's valuation was considered "low" by some (it was a headline I saw, that I thought was interesting. I didn't get the details).

I wouldn't be against Lerner selling--there are better owners out there. Just not to Leonsis. 

• Sad 1

@PleaseBlitz My point isn't to defend Lerner--I would be perfectly happy if he sold, he's not his dad, who I think was a really good owner. My question is she keeps pressing this issue despite lack of buyers, multiple people saying the sale is all but dead. MASN was a stumbling block--he came out and said he is in it for the long haul. It's just an odd take. Add to that her spouting off garbage like the Lerners are writing personal checks to make payroll a couple months back? I find it very odd. I've never seen any one person championing a sale like this--especially one who has had success and a willingness to spend on payroll. Ghiroli talks about him like he's Dick Monfort.

Then I agree with the point about the sale.  The Nats don't need to issue a press release saying they aren't selling.  If a deal hasn't and won't happen, then it just won't happen, there's no need to issue a special alert.  I'm involved in fetus deals all the time and sometimes they don't go anywhere and eventually just kind of go away.  Nobody announces the absence of a deal.  I'm fairly certain that, when it first came to light that the Nats had engaged someone to explore their options, I posted something to the effect that it *does not* mean they are serious about selling, they are just having an outside consultant kick the tires, as any reasonable company should every few years.  

But I didn't think the very mild criticism of Lerner in this article warranted vitriol (probably too strong a word) in your post.  

Here you go.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PleaseBlitz said:

But I didn't think the very mild criticism of Lerner in this article warranted vitriol (probably too strong a word) in your post.

If it was a one-time article, sure. But it's been a campaign for her. She went on 106.7 and spouted off things about the Lerners being broke, they're undercutting Rizzo, leaving him to twist in the wind, etc., that turned out to be untrue, so her credibility is already low on this subject.

I write and edit technical documents for a living--so I always read articles with a critical eye. I always look for unsubstantiated claims. Specifically, she states there are buyers. Really? Who? The MASN thing didn't get cleared up until recently, and that was the major stumbling block. Sure, that might bring interested buyers, but there aren't any now, that we're aware. There was a 2.1B offer from Leonsis and Rubenstein a while back, but in closer analysis, it was ironically like Harper's $315m deal with all the deferrals--e.g., not nearly what it seems to be. That was the only offer they received--and that was almost a year ago.

It's been almost two years since they said they would look into a sale, and nothing came of it. Lerner has stated he's in it for the long haul, which she dismisses at the end of the article with a "pfft, that's what Angelos said." But the difference is, Rubenstein was announced as a potential buyer in December, not April. Even then, Angelos dismissed those rumors AFTER Rubenstein was announced as interested. No one is currently interested in the Nationals. It's an entirely different situation.

It's not to defend the Lerners, it's my utter disdain for lazy, crap journalism. She's clearly not current on the situation and it's a lazy article--not unlike Florio pushing the Belichick narrative. She has a narrative she wants to push that ignores current information for her agenda. I find it annoying. And I'm not mad, I just dislike this agenda-pushing narrative that discounts very relevant, available information.

And this isn't vitriol. If it was, I would have called her a dumb ****.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Keith Law put out his 2024 prospect Top 100.

• Crews 7
  • Wood 19
  • House 53
  • Cavalli 74

The descriptions make it seem like Wood is not close to the majors yet, but still has such unreal potential. Crews defense is solid. House is overeager as a batter.

From the videos posted, the physical change for James Wood this offseason look to be significant. We'll see how he plays on the farm to start the year. But depending on that and what's happening in Washington. I could see him called up.