Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

2 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Those previous ranks had to be mid to late season, and not February. No way they had them 7 without Crews, Morales, and the House bounce back.

Probably, but still, that's not a good sign. We need to make a leap forward in development this year.

5 hours ago, @DCGoldPants said:

From the videos posted, the physical change for James Wood this offseason look to be significant. We'll see how he plays on the farm to start the year. But depending on that and what's happening in Washington. I could see him called up. 

Specifically they mention this to Woods:

"When the Nats bumped him to Double-A Harrisburg, which is a better home run park, the power stayed but the sheer size of his strike zone and some of his pitch recognition both led to a big jump in his strikeout rate, from 27 percent to 34 percent, with fastballs up and sliders in the lower third both becoming issues for him."

I'm just trying to maintain a realistic estimate, that super tall prospects like him tend to struggle against pitchers better able to work the larger strike zone he provides. Another hyper athletic giant in Elly De La Cruz took Baseball by storm for a few weeks, until major league pitchers realized he still struggles to protect his large strike zone.

Odds are it takes Wood a bit more time to figure this all out than a shorter prospect.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, @DCGoldPants said:

Would be huge. Either frees the Lerners up to make their own deal and spend again, or sell the team and rights for probably that $2B range.

There's a rumor MLB wants to gobble up all of the regional streaming rights into one big pot and then market the pot. They think the league could gain more money that way. MASN gets in the way of that, especially since MASN can not be counted on to run a streaming service competently.

https://theathletic.com/5247943/2024/02/08/mlb-offseason-grades-orioles-dodgers-best-worst/

C is about right. Personally I would give them a C-. Very lackluster offseason. If you've been tracking the offseason moves they've made a slew of minor league moves for players we may not see in the majors, and then Senzel and Gallo. Gallo probably being the highest profile one.

The Nats sign Jesse Winker.  Reading only a little bit about him on Wiki, why would you want this guy around your young players?

Though he was bothered by neck and knee injuries during this time, still:

In October 2022, Seattle Mariners beat writer Ryan Divish of the Seattle Times spoke about Winker's work ethic and future with the team. Asked why Winker wasn't with the team during an American League Division Series, Divish said:

I think he was home.... I think they probably just told him to go home.... I think by the end of the season, it's what scouts call a tired act. I just think some of his teammates were done with him, were just tired of putting up with him. I think the team is frustrated with him. Everything that Mitch Haniger does to prepare for a game to get ready, Jesse Winker's kind of the opposite.... I don't think he puts in the time to be better defensively or to have a better arm or any of the work that should be done.... And it's noticeable. Players notice it.... And once you lose your teammates, why be there? So there's gonna be some hard conversations either with Jesse from this front office, or they're just gonna move on.

Mariners frustrated with 'tired act' Jesse Winker per Seattle reporter (cincinnati.com)

So the Mariners traded him to the Brewers. Fresh start, right? Yuck:

In the 2023 regular season, Winker batted .199/.320/.247 in 166 at bats with one home run, 23 RBIs, and 51 strikeouts with the Brewers, with isolated power of .048.He was in the bottom 1% of all major league players in speed, had career lows in his exit velocity (86.8 mph) and hard hit percentage (31.9%), and had a career-high strikeout percentage (25.9%).

Jesse Winker Stats: Statcast, Visuals & Advanced Metrics | baseballsavant.com (mlb.com)

I hope they got him dirt cheap and they think he can revert to some of his earlier production he showed when he was with the Cincinnati Reds, because otherwise WTF?

Edited by Dan T.
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

I hope they got him dirt cheap and they think he can revert to some of his earlier production he showed when he was with the Cincinnati Reds, because otherwise WTF?

I don't know. It's just a minor league deal. Hopefully had a conversation about how this could he his last chance and he leaves that nonsense behind him. If now, easy cut. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ixcuincle said:

https://theathletic.com/5247943/2024/02/08/mlb-offseason-grades-orioles-dodgers-best-worst/

C is about right. Personally I would give them a C-. Very lackluster offseason. If you've been tracking the offseason moves they've made a slew of minor league moves for players we may not see in the majors, and then Senzel and Gallo. Gallo probably being the highest profile one.

Hard to argue with this. I’d bump it up to a C+/B- if Abrams gets extended before OD. And/or the Nationals bail out Boras and land Montgomery.

Not sure how the Winker acquisition will work. If they plan to use him as a DH against righties and mix him in LF with Gallo to 1B, then there will be a roster crunch.

I think you’d want either Call or Young on the bench to back up CF.

They’d have Meneses, Garcia Jr, Abrams, and Senzel (4)

Two catchers: Ruiz, Adams/Millas (2)

Gallo, Robles, Thomas (3)

Garrett, Winker (2)

Two positions left for Vargas, Nunez, Young, Call, Keiboom, Alu.

I guess they either give Nunez back and go with Vargas and Call/Young. Or have Thomas back up CF and keep Nunez and Vargas.

Keiboom and Alu probably have the hardest road to make it.

So everyone goes down to spring traing except the two guys in the booth? Why is this becoming a trend in MLB? I believe it was the Angels that did some cheap crap like this during the season, not sending their booths out on road games.

8 minutes ago, Metalhead said:

So everyone goes down to spring traing except the two guys in the booth? Why is this becoming a trend in MLB? I believe it was the Angels that did some cheap crap like this during the season, not sending their booths out on road games.

And instead of Bob and Franny casting from Nats park, they're casting from Camden Yards.....?

image.gif.b21bcd7d9145e10ca887dd4ae7338e63.gif

2 hours ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

If it's a minor league deal, does he count towards the 40 man?

No. Not yet. In a few days, there will be at least three spots open up as Cavalli, Strasburg, and Brzykcy will go to the 60 day IL.

• Like 1