Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

8 minutes ago, @DCGoldPants said:

If Lipscomb makes the team as a Zobrist-type utility guy, something has to give. Either they give Nunez back or they dump Vargas.  I guess they could send Garcia down and give a lot of starts to Vargas.

Angelos was a petty, vindictive man who trashed the DC area and feuded with the late jack Kent Cooke over Baltimore getting a football team in the 90s. He meddle constantly, tried to buy titles unsuccessfully, drove an organization into a deep hole of which they are only just now getting out of. "DC is not a baseball town." 

His only saving grace is his support of labor in 1995. 

Hopefully his passing and the new ownership will give the Nats their rights back. 

• Thanks 1

Looks like the roster is just about set with only one question about Lipscomb and the position players. I’d move to release Senzel and eat his contract.

Four NRI will make the team: Winker, Rosario, Matt Barnes, and Law. 

They should have the roster spots with Strasburg, Thompson, and Cavalli going to the 60 day IL.

On 3/23/2024 at 1:23 PM, Ball Security said:

If Lipscomb makes the team as a Zobrist-type utility guy, something has to give. Either they give Nunez back or they dump Vargas.  I guess they could send Garcia down and give a lot of starts to Vargas.

If Lipscomb makes the team, I don't see how they rationalizing giving him less playing time than Garcia. Maybe they could cobble it together over many spots, but Garcia isn't the future at 2B anyways.

Has Senzel done anything this spring worthy of a roster spot, other than veteran favoritism?

Although I could see keeping Lipscomb down with Wood/Crews/House and let that core keep simmering together to start the year

Edited by CRobi21

I read a few weeks ago there's barely anything new there. New scoreboad is updated but the food is mostly the same other than Korean hot dogs.

I mean I'd love to go report to the people on what's going on tomorrow at the futures game but unfortunately I have a doctor's appointment and it's best I get that out of the way ASAP :(

6 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

Montgomery Countys own James Wood

"Wood grew up in Olney, Maryland and initially attended school in DC where he played baseball and basketball. He transferred to IMG Academy in Bradenton, Florida, after his sophomore season, giving up basketball in order to focus solely on baseball.[1][2]

Not only James Wood, but Trey Lipscomb is from MoCo as well. Clarksburg.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Ball Security said:

Nuts. Would be nice to see one prospect make the OD roster. 

I think they have two more spots (Brzykcy and Strasburg) that should open up. Maybe they snag someone who gets released.

Just heard Rizzo on this. Said Trey made it hard to do this but they want him to get real game reps at 2B to start the year. JWood will be there too on Rochester. Crews and some others will start on Harrisburg but expects them to be together in AAA soon. I get it. 

Also, he nicely said he's always focused on pitching and needing those guys who perform. I then yelled in my car "bro, when your 5th starter is at his best, he's still a jag" 

16 hours ago, @DCGoldPants said:

Just heard Rizzo on this. Said Trey made it hard to do this but they want him to get real game reps at 2B to start the year. JWood will be there too on Rochester. Crews and some others will start on Harrisburg but expects them to be together in AAA soon. I get it. 

Wood and Lipscomb to AAA is good at least. Did he mention where Morales is and what he'll play. AA and 1B?

16 hours ago, @DCGoldPants said:

Also, he nicely said he's always focused on pitching and needing those guys who perform. I then yelled in my car "bro, when your 5th starter is at his best, he's still a jag" 

Almost all of our pitchers are JAG's. Gore has potential. We've got Cavalli coming. Maybe there's still an argument for Gray? But until Cavalli that's like 4 of 5 starters who probably would not start on better teams.

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

Also its criminal how we're treating Strasburg for his retirement. Take care of him. He is a franchise legend. Arguably the GOAT National(its him or Zimmerman).

Yea, sucks how he's getting $245 million to sit at home.  Unconscionable.  

GOAT Nat is easily Scherzer. 

21 hours ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Almost all of our pitchers are JAG's. Gore has potential. We've got Cavalli coming. Maybe there's still an argument for Gray? But until Cavalli that's like 4 of 5 starters who probably would not start on better teams.

Irvin and Gore both have potential. They may not be aces--but they both have 2nd-3rd starter potential. Irvin had 15 straight scoreless innings in Spring Training. It's not like they're 29-30.

On 3/26/2024 at 6:05 PM, @DCGoldPants said:

I bet he's going to run out and sign someone right now! 

Or just wait for Cavalli who is targeted in May or June and kick Williams to bullpen. Either or.

• Riggo#44 changed the title to The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!
19 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Yea, sucks how he's getting $245 million to sit at home.  Unconscionable.  

GOAT Nat is easily Scherzer. 

Scherzer's best was better than anyone else's best, but he wasn't here as long as the others and doesn't have that "face of the franchise" status the way Zimm and Stras do. But he will be the first curly dub in Cooperstown.

Edited by Warhead36

5 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Scherzer's best was better than anyone else's best, but he wasn't here as long as the others and doesn't have that "face of the franchise" status the way Zimm and Stras do. But he will be the first curly dub in Cooperstown.

I think it's a bit more difficult to say. I also lean Stras but he was hurt a lot. The innings pitched difference between Stras and Scherzer is suprisingly small given the years in the organization. I think Stras might only have 1 more seasons worth of innings pitched than Scherzer? It's also difficult to separate them as they were both Ace's during the lone World Series run. Scherzer had 39 WAR to Stras 31 WAR. I know who was better isn't the argument, but that much WAR does help show that Scherzer contributed to the team for a long time.

I guess my point is, there's too much overlap between Stras and Scherzer and it doesn't feel right to anoint one as face of the franchise pitcher over the other.

In comparison to Ryan Zimmerman, I don't think there's any question on which batter is the face of the franchise. It's him.

34 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Well, Zimm is Mr. National and will be for his entire life. 1st pick, whole career here. Got his WS ring and contributed.

As far as pitchers...... Stras was too hurt and Max had too many Max moments to overlook. The emotions, they yelling at managers to leave him in, the black eye game. If I were to get a throwback jersey down the road, it would be Max or Zimm.

Here's to a season of steady improvement and young players working their way up through the minors to get real time in Washington. 

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1