Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

14 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Could be why they DFA'd Kieboom. He cleared waivers and is now back in AAA. Feels like some of the youth might make the club.

Young, Lipscomb, Wood?

Not surprised about Kieboom. My question is do they play him at 3B in AAA and have House at AA and Morales at A+.

Jake Irvin was on his game today. 5 IP, 1 H, 0 BB, 5 K.  Good to see him come around. He had a rough start this spring.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ball Security said:

Not surprised about Kieboom. My question is do they play him at 3B in AAA and have House at AA and Morales at A+.

Jake Irvin was on his game today. 5 IP, 1 H, 0 BB, 5 K.  Good to see him come around. He had a rough start this spring.

At this point, I'd be surprised if he hindered anyone. They've gotta just shuffle him around like Alu and hope he can be a utility guy.

11 hours ago, CRobi21 said:

Thought maybe Rutledge would win that 5h spit over Williams. Guess they want him working on something in the miners still.

I'd rather Rutledge work on whatever here over Williams who through the spring has been the same liability he was last year. 

13 hours ago, CRobi21 said:

Guess they want him working on something in the miners still.

I hope the miners don't mind...not sure they like people trying things in them.

YARN | Not that there's anything wrong with that. | Seinfeld (1989) -  S04E17 The Outing | Video gifs by quotes | 0e862196 | 紗

1 hour ago, @DCGoldPants said:

I'd rather Rutledge work on whatever here over Williams who through the spring has been the same liability he was last year. 

Williams sucks, but I'd rather Rutledge fix what he needs to fix where he can fix them. Williams is not long for this rotation, I don't think

• Haha 1

Nationals' Trey Lipscomb: Making push for roster spot

Lipscomb has been the most surprising prospect in camp for the Nationals and has a real chance of winning a spot on the Opening Day roster, Mark Zuckerman of MASN Sports reports.

A third-round pick in 2022, Lipscomb climbed up to Double-A Harrisburg last year and slashed .284/.310/.438 with 10 homers and an 18.2 percent strikeout rate over 80 games. The 23-year-old won a minor-league Gold Glove at third base in 2023, but he's played second base and shortstop as well in camp while batting .372 (16-for-43) with a 5:7 BB:K. He's peaking at the right time too, slugging his first homer of the spring Wednesday off Steven Matz while going 3-for-4 with four RBI against the Cardinals. The organization doesn't view him as a future utility player and wants him to play every day, but given that the Nationals have question marks at both second base and third base in Luis Garcia and Nick Senzel, it's not out of the question Lipscomb displaces one of them in the starting lineup to begin the season.

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/baseball/news/nationals-trey-lipscomb-making-push-for-roster-spot/

1 hour ago, Riggo#44 said:

I hope the miners don't mind...not sure they like people trying things in them.

YARN | Not that there's anything wrong with that. | Seinfeld (1989) -  S04E17 The Outing | Video gifs by quotes | 0e862196 | 紗

Williams sucks, but I'd rather Rutledge fix what he needs to fix where he can fix them. Williams is not long for this rotation, I don't think

As long as Davey trusts Hickey. I worry Williams' leash is about 10x too long. 

40 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Why do you think that?

Because even with his struggles last year and again this spring, he's still here. That stinks of a coach thinking his can still make a player better because the other option along with Corbin makes it looking like he can't fix or develop pitchers. 

Seems bizarre that Williams wasn't an easy decision to move on from. He's not young, he's not a project, he's not improving. Some guys get more chances than they deserve. Reminds me of when Davey Johnson wouldn't let go of the idea Henry Rodriguez. Guy threw over 100 but never a strike and kept getting chances when it was beyond clear. 

7 minutes ago, @DCGoldPants said:

Because even with his struggles last year and again this spring, he's still here. That stinks of a coach thinking his can still make a player better because the other option along with Corbin makes it looking like he can't fix or develop pitchers. 

Seems bizarre that Williams wasn't an easy decision to move on from. He's not young, he's not a project, he's not improving. Some guys get more chances than they deserve. Reminds me of when Davey Johnson wouldn't let go of the idea Henry Rodriguez. Guy threw over 100 but never a strike and kept getting chances when it was beyond clear. 

Williams sucks, through and through. He is a warm body, easily tossed into the bullpen or the trash heap when Rutledge demonstrates whatever he needs to demonstrate at Rochester, Cavalli comes back. I'll be very happy when he's no longer on the roster

• Like 1