Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

12 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Yep, and he’s made enough now and will next year that he can be patient.  Acuna signed early, but he had not accumulated much (relatively).  Soto made 8M last year and could realistically make 16M this year.  

I do think you are right that 450 gets them in the ballpark.

The closer he gets to FA, the harder it is for them to keep him.  With the DH, I’d have no problem giving him an initial offer of 15/480.

DH really does change the calculus.  And definitely nice to see no deferrals. 13/400 would be the floor and would represent a whopping bargain imo.  13/450 is probably the minimum of what would be considered a serious offer by Soto and Boras.  That first half a billion contract feather in the cap probably would make Soto and Boras think real hard about passing it up.

• Like 1

I'm sorry, but this sounds like he's leaving:

"Yes, they made me the offer a couple of months ago, before the lockout we have in baseball," Soto told Rojas. "But right now, me and my agents think the best option is to go year after year and wait for free agency. My agent, Scott Boras, is in control of that situation."

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10027237-mlb-rumors-juan-soto-turned-down-13-year-350m-nationals-contract-before-lockout

Not having deferral money means Learners learned their lesson from dealing with Bryce.

But if 350 is the starting point, Learners aren't going to match what he gets offered on the open market.  Machado got 300, but that's over 10 years, not 13.  I find it fascinating we offered Soto more then Harper signed for in Philly (also for 13 years).

43 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I'm sorry, but this sounds like he's leaving:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10027237-mlb-rumors-juan-soto-turned-down-13-year-350m-nationals-contract-before-lockout

Not having deferral money means Learners learned their lesson from dealing with Bryce.

But if 350 is the starting point, Learners aren't going to match what he gets offered on the open market.  Machado got 300, but that's over 10 years, not 13.  I find it fascinating we offered Soto more then Harper signed for in Philly (also for 13 years).

The Mets owner will pay whatever.  He’s gone if Nats aren’t willing to offer ridiculous contract.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Commander -JB- said:

Here’s a thought.  Sell the naming rights to Nationals Park.  Who cares if we end up with some cheesy corporate sponsor name.  Won’t the revenue help go towards paying guys like Soto?!

I'd have no issue with that. We're a big market team, we should spend like it.

• Thumb up 1

On 2/17/2022 at 7:33 AM, CobraCommander said:

350 Million dollars. Sometime I try to imagine that much money and I just can't fathom it. 

What I said to me friends was:

could you imagine being offered 350M over the next 13 years and saying nah, I’m gonna go get more. 

just crazy. 

nats don’t spend big. He’s gone. Its how they operate. Sucks to lose a good player but the idea is to get good players and let someone else pay them afterwards 🤷‍♂️ not the dumbest strategy if you have a quality org finding good players all the time. 

On 2/19/2022 at 8:17 AM, Riggo#44 said:

We'll see on Soto. But one way or another, he will not reach free agency as a National. He'll either sign or get traded for an assload of players.

It should be done this offseason or next. His value is significantly higher with 2-3 years of control left. Make a real push to extend him, but if he’s walking anyway then make sure you beat the Scherzer/Turner trade haul by a significant margin. We’re gearing up for 2026. 

• Like 1

I guess we won't be seeing a lot of baseball in West Palm on this year's "spring training" trip.  Tickets and AirBnB were booked long ago.  One redeeming thought is that those not on the 40 man roster will be in camp, so we can still go wander the practice fields and see some of the prospects. 

But it sucks that fans have to go through this.  Again. It's overly simplistic to characterize the lock-out as billionaires fighting with millionaires but, as a fan, it's hard not to look at it like that.  Seems like fans are an afterthought in all this.

• 2 weeks later...