Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

1 hour ago, Ball Security said:

These contracts are getting pretty aggressive right before the lockout.  Texas is paying a half a billion dollars for their double play combo.  It’s insane.

It'll be interesting to see either side cry poor in the negotiations 

3 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Booing Max freaking Scherzer, after all he did for and meant to this organization, because he said "okay" to $130 million for his age 37-40 seasons to play for the Mets, is goddamn ridiculous and I am embarrassed for anyone that does so.  

This. 

also

its a psy op to blow their payroll. 

2 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Max looked like he might have had dead arm in the playoffs. And the Mets are paying him $40 Mil for the end of his career. They're literally the Dan Snyder Redskins circa 2000.

Dead arm is a thing that can get pretty severe if not caught and treated...usually, IIRC, with rest.  It's not nearly the same as Tommy John, rotator cuff, etc.  That Scherzer had dead arm in the playoffs last year doesn't portend anything for the future.  He finished 3rd in the NL Cy Young race, there's a case that he should have won it.   

He's been remarkably durable throughout his career.  Maybe he breaks down, maybe he doesn't but I think he's a decent gamble for three years.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Dead arm is a thing that can get pretty severe if not caught and treated...usually, IIRC, with rest.  It's not nearly the same as Tommy John, rotator cuff, etc.  That Scherzer had dead arm in the playoffs last year doesn't portend anything for the future.  He finished 3rd in the NL Cy Young race, there's a case that he should have won it.   

He's been remarkably durable throughout his career.  Maybe he breaks down, maybe he doesn't but I think he's a decent gamble for three years.  

He's never had it before--and Father Time is undefeated. He had a great year, but at sometime, he's going to fall off. It literally happens to everyone. Am I a bit biased because he signed with the Mets? Absolutely--**** them and their douchebag fans that reek of Axe body spray and general failure. But at almost $45m a year? For a 38 yr old pitcher? To the Mets? Yeesh. There is a reason #LOLMets is a thing.

2 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

He's never had it before--and Father Time is undefeated. He had a great year, but at sometime, he's going to fall off. It literally happens to everyone. Am I a bit biased because he signed with the Mets? Absolutely--**** them and their douchebag fans that reek of Axe body spray and general failure. But at almost $45m a year? For a 38 yr old pitcher? To the Mets? Yeesh. There is a reason #LOLMets is a thing.

He had dead-arm after his summer god-mode run in 2019. He had dead-arm immediately after his god-mode spurt when he arrived on the Dodgers.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

Father time is undefeated.  It does happen to everyone.  I never said that it doesn't.  I'm glad you're able to admit your biases, though.  

Sheesh, you sure are thin skinned in regards to the Mets for someone who's team won a World Series a few years ago.  Feel free to hop ship to my ****bag team anytime you want, I'll show you misery.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Sheesh, you sure are thin skinned in regards to the Mets for someone who's team won a World Series a few years ago.  Feel free to hop ship to my ****bag team anytime you want, I'll show you misery.

Mets fans are like we were in the early 2000s, fooled by off-season spending sprees to only be crushed by cruel, cruel reality. It's a painful reminder of that bygone era... (by and large, we just stopped giving a ****...)

At least we can both agree that New York sucks. Seriously, if I hear one more person whine or brag about winning/playing in New York, well, I am just going to snap. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, CRobi21 said:

I believe the plan would be to see if Garcia can handle SS duties full time. Giving us a projected infield of Escobar-Garcia-Hernandez-Bell.

No Keiboom?

Hernandez had a career high in HRs last year, but his OBP plummeted.  It’s like he completely changed his approach.

Edited by Ball Security

1 hour ago, Ball Security said:

No Keiboom?

Hernandez had a career high in HRs last year, but his OBP plummeted.  It’s like he completely changed his approach.

Ugh completely forgot about Kieboom. I think I've pretty much given up on him. Bust.

11 hours ago, Dan T. said:

You were saying?

Father Time actually was going to get Ryan on Aug 5, 1993. Then he saw what he did to Robin Ventura and said "I'll bide my time with this one." 

Ryan pitched to age 46...insane. He should have won the Cy in 1987...at age 40. If anyone can replicate Ryan's career, it would be Scherzer.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Father time caught up with him, just took a little while longer.  

Pretty much the biggest outlier in baseball history, though.

What's really crazy--he never finished higher than third in Cy Young voting.

2 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

What's really crazy--he never finished higher than third in Cy Young voting.

He finished second in 1973 to Jim Palmer.  Benefitting from having WAR now, in hindsight Ryan was better than Palmer that year but neither one of them was better than Bert Blyleven.  

It's really not that crazy.  He never was the best pitcher in his league.  You could argue his 1987 season where he had a 2.76 ERA to lead the league was his best year.  They gave the Cy to Steve Bedrosian, who was very good but wasn't the best pitcher.  Sutcliffe was better.  Hershiser was better.  Bob Welch was better (7.1 WAR).  

You could also argue for his 1981 season, but no one was going to beat Valenzuela that year.  Still, Carlton had a better year than Ryan did.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

He finished second in 1973 to Jim Palmer.  Benefitting from having WAR now, in hindsight Ryan was better than Palmer that year but neither one of them was better than Bert Blyleven.  

It's really not that crazy.  He never was the best pitcher in his league.  You could argue his 1987 season where he had a 2.76 ERA to lead the league was his best year.  They gave the Cy to Steve Bedrosian, who was very good but wasn't the best pitcher.  Sutcliffe was better.  Hershiser was better.  Bob Welch was better (7.1 WAR).  

You could also argue for his 1981 season, but no one was going to beat Valenzuela that year.  Still, Carlton had a better year than Ryan did.  

Nerd.

• Haha 1