Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

Home plate robot umpires promoted to Triple-A for 2022

Robot umpires have been given a promotion and will be just one step from the major leagues this season. Major League Baseball is expanding its automated strike zone experiment to Triple-A, the highest level of the minor leagues.

MLB’s website posted a hiring notice seeking seasonal employees to operate the Automated Ball and Strike system. MLB said it is recruiting employees to operate the system for the Albuquerque Isotopes, Charlotte Knights, El Paso Chihuahuas, Las Vegas Aviators, Oklahoma City Dodgers, Reno Aces, Round Rock Express, Sacramento River Cats, Salt Lake Bees, Sugar Land Skeeters and Tacoma Rainiers.

The independent Atlantic League became the first American professional league to let a computer call balls and strikes at its All-Star Game in July 2019 and experimented with ABS during the second half of that season. It also was used in the Arizona Fall League for top prospects in 2019, drawing complaints of its calls on breaking balls.

There were no minor leagues in 2020 due to the pandemic, and robot umps were used last season in eight of nine ballparks at the Low-A Southeast League.

Click on the link for the full article

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

On 1/20/2022 at 12:08 PM, CRobi21 said:

Frandsens been in the Phillies booth the past couple seasons. Not sure how well he's done. But at least it's not Justin Maxwell...

He's highly regarded, apparently. He did utter one of the classic one-liners in Nats history. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/10/2022 at 2:20 PM, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Did this lockout stop free agency from occurring? Or did we just not sign anyone back in December? I remember hearing something about Schwarber maybe returning but that’s it 

We signed some filler players like Alcedes Escobar. I think Schwarber could end up in Philly with Long, but it's possible here. We'll see. I'm more interested in seeing our young-ins develop: Gray, Ruiz, Cavalli, House, et al. With the DH in the NL (blah), I think Zimm comes back for one more ride. It'll be a fun year, even if we don't win much. There is something fun about pressure free baseball.

Speaking of which, Keith Law's Nats Top 20: https://theathletic.com/3123827/2022/02/14/nationals-top-20-prospects-for-2022-keith-law-ranks-washingtons-farm-system/?source=dailyemail&campaign=601983

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

We signed some filler players like Alcedes Escobar. I think Schwarber could end up in Philly with Long, but it's possible here. We'll see. I'm more interested in seeing our young-ins develop: Gray, Ruiz, Cavalli, House, et al. With the DH in the NL (blah), I think Zimm comes back for one more ride. It'll be a fun year, even if we don't win much. There is something fun about pressure free baseball.

Speaking of which, Keith Law's Nats Top 20: https://theathletic.com/3123827/2022/02/14/nationals-top-20-prospects-for-2022-keith-law-ranks-washingtons-farm-system/?source=dailyemail&campaign=601983

Having the DH gives National League teams equal footing on signing hitters long term.  You don’t run the risk of them being defensive liabilities as they age.  I’d be for grabbing Kris Bryant.  It’d be nice to have some right handed pop to split between Soto and Bell.

On 1/20/2022 at 12:08 PM, CRobi21 said:

Frandsens been in the Phillies booth the past couple seasons. Not sure how well he's done. But at least it's not Justin Maxwell...

He's..."meh".  He did well.  But to the effect us Phillies fans are "Congrats, good luck, thanks".  Not "OH NO! WE LOST FRANDSEN".  

At least they made an offer. No clue about the deferrals so likely $350m isn’t anywhere near the real number. And it’s going to take a lot more than that. 

edit- was reported that there were no deferrals. That’s a sign to me that the Lerners are serious. 

Edited by TheGoodBits

1 hour ago, TheGoodBits said:

At least they made an offer. No clue about the deferrals so likely $350m isn’t anywhere near the real number. And it’s going to take a lot more than that. 

edit- was reported that there were no deferrals. That’s a sign to me that the Lerners are serious. 

Crazy world that $350 doesn’t get it done, but the no deferrals is a good sign.  Soto, if he wants to maximize his earnings, is wise to turn it down.  It’s not an insulting offer, but it’s not going to get it done.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ball Security said:

Crazy world that $350 doesn’t get it done, but the no deferrals is a good sign.  Soto, if he wants to maximize his earnings, is wise to turn it down.  It’s not an insulting offer, but it’s not going to get it done.

Keep in mind that he’s going to make a nice pile of money in his arbitration years. So 13yr $350m is really more like 10yr $300m. 

I’m guessing they’d need to add at least $100m to that offer to get it done. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TheGoodBits said:

Keep in mind that he’s going to make a nice pile of money in his arbitration years. So 13yr $350m is really more like 10yr $300m. 

I’m guessing they’d need to add at least $100m to that offer to get it done. 

Yep, and he’s made enough now and will next year that he can be patient.  Acuna signed early, but he had not accumulated much (relatively).  Soto made 8M last year and could realistically make 16M this year.  

I do think you are right that 450 gets them in the ballpark.

The closer he gets to FA, the harder it is for them to keep him.  With the DH, I’d have no problem giving him an initial offer of 15/480.

• Like 2