Fergasun

Trump Border Wall Post-Shutdown Discussion (Wall-Fight)

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

Compromised. Clips like this will be what he's remembered for. 

 

DzcwH2iWwAYpJbT.jpg

 

that man left his dignity and balls in the past

 

all for a man who will throw him under the bus the moment it is convenient for him to do so

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is zero doubt to me that somebody went to Graham and said "We have X, Y, and Z on you".... and I don't think it's the gay nonsense. I think very real information on something that would be very illegal that he did from a position of authority. 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

This is zero doubt to me that somebody went to Graham and said "We have X, Y, and Z on you".... and I don't think it's the gay nonsense. I think very real information on something that would be very illegal that he did from a position of authority. 

 

I think it's definitely a real possibility.

 

That being said, another one could simply be that, at the end of the day, Graham is about party over country and about his own political well being over both of those things. I could see the possibility of Graham not believing in Trump becoming POTUS as even remotely likely so he was positioning himself in 2015/2016 in a way that he would be respected and seen as an "adult in the room" once Hillary was president and he would wield plenty of influence.

 

Notice that after Trump won, Graham's criticism of him died down quite a bit. He still every so often would buck him early on, but only mildly...possibly because at that point he was under the mistaken impression that many Rs in the public would be put off by how absolutely awful Trump was even after getting into office. Then Graham saw that that simply wasn't the case and it would be perilous to his own political life to continue to buck Trump and risk the wrath of Trump's base. He quickly fell in line and has been a lick spittle ever since. The man has zero shame and zero loyalty to this country.

 

Or it could actually be some of both. He's compromised and he also knows that going against Trump would be perilous to him politically. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, StillUnknown said:

that man left his dignity and balls in the past

 

all for a man who will throw him under the bus the moment it is convenient for him to do so

 

That was before he found out the Republican party had no bottom and that the voters where too dumb to care. He never cared about any of the **** he said. He just thought it was the "right" thing to do for his career. Now the right thing for his career is to help Trump destroy the United States. Thats it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Cooked Crack said:

Huh?

 

That dude has a hand up his ass having him say stuff like a sock puppet now.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

This is zero doubt to me that somebody went to Graham and said "We have X, Y, and Z on you".... and I don't think it's the gay nonsense. I think very real information on something that would be very illegal that he did from a position of authority. 

 

I think Trump is just very popular among South Carolina republican voters, and Graham vocally being Trump's lapdog is SUPER popular.  

 

https://www.wltx.com/article/news/politics/president-trumps-approval-rating-in-south-carolina-above-national-average-poll-finds/101-610253312

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

South Carolina has a tradition of skewed race outlook. After all, it's the home of Strom Thurmond and the Dixiecrat party. There's still a huge population that believes that Black persons are less than human, and they don't mind others knowing that.

 

Graham was heavily endorsed by Strom Thurmond at the beginning of his federal electoral career. That should tell us something. Also, the fact he excoriated Clinton 42 for lying about a blow job and fully supports Trump is telling. 

 

Graham is up for re-election in 2020, and his polling in that election cycle will also tell the tail if South Carolina is stuck in pre 1860 moral center.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm amused that Graham's support for Trump is popular in South Carolina, where their policies are going to cost a buncha those same assholes their good paying jobs working for Mercedes. 

 

But I read things like this and remember Robert Vaughn's character in Bullitt, Walter Chalmers telling Steve McQueen, “Come on, now. Don’t be naive, Lieutenant. We both know how careers are made. Integrity is something you sell the public.” 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As to all of the lawsuits I'm seeing, challenging Trump's reallocation of federal funds, 

 

Have to say that I'm not seeing the one that I think I ought to see.  

 

OK, so several states filed suit.  My problem is, I don't see them having standing.  Or damages, for that matter.  If Trump diverts funds from military construction in Tennessee, to spend on a wall in Texas, how does the state of Maryland have standing?  

 

Similarly, how does the Sierra Club and the ACLU have standing?  (Maybe the Sierra Club has an objection to a wall, but that would be any wall, whether approved by Congress or not.)  

 

To me, if there's going to be a lawsuit (and I think there should), I think it ought to be brought by the injured parties.  

 

And to me, since this is a separation of powers matter, the injured party is the US Congress.  You know, the people who are vested with the constitutional power to allocate funds.  (And the people who only a few days ago, passed a budget which specified how much Trump could spend on his wall, and this wasn't it.)  

 

What I want to see here, is a lawsuit brought by several members of Congress, based on the matter of "we didn't vote on that".  

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congress did vote to give POTUS the emergency power used though.

 

1 minute ago, visionary said:

Has El Paso or other affected areas sued? Can they?

 

the butterfly sanctuary and some others have sued.

you can always sue....if it goes anywhere is a different matter

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Larry said:

As to all of the lawsuits I'm seeing, challenging Trump's reallocation of federal funds, 

 

Have to say that I'm not seeing the one that I think I ought to see.  

 

OK, so several states filed suit.  My problem is, I don't see them having standing.  Or damages, for that matter.  If Trump diverts funds from military construction in Tennessee, to spend on a wall in Texas, how does the state of Maryland have standing?  

 

Similarly, how does the Sierra Club and the ACLU have standing?  (Maybe the Sierra Club has an objection to a wall, but that would be any wall, whether approved by Congress or not.)  

 

To me, if there's going to be a lawsuit (and I think there should), I think it ought to be brought by the injured parties.  

 

And to me, since this is a separation of powers matter, the injured party is the US Congress.  You know, the people who are vested with the constitutional power to allocate funds.  (And the people who only a few days ago, passed a budget which specified how much Trump could spend on his wall, and this wasn't it.)  

 

What I want to see here, is a lawsuit brought by several members of Congress, based on the matter of "we didn't vote on that".  

 

So I'm not lawyer and could be totally off here.  But if I were one of those groups, I would argue that the damages are the will of the people I represent.  Our representatives from the most recent election voted to give a certain amount.  Anything beyond that is a damage to the people represented.  I'm sure there are holes with this but it's gonna be tied up in court for a while anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, twa said:

Part of me actually hopes Trump wins.  I don't really give a crap about $8billion.  We got bigger issues.  I just want to laugh at all the Trumpkins freaking the **** out when President Kamala Harris in 2021 uses these new found "national emergency" powers.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

And I am sure that the next POTUS will show the same deference for rules and norms as Trump has.

 

I'm sure, after all his predecessor did.  LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/17/2019 at 1:49 PM, @SkinsGoldPants said:

This is zero doubt to me that somebody went to Graham and said "We have X, Y, and Z on you".... and I don't think it's the gay nonsense. I think very real information on something that would be very illegal that he did from a position of authority. 

I suspect it's much more mundane than that. Probably a pollster got to him and pointed out 98% of his district prayed to the Orange Monkey God, and if he likes his cushy job he'd better change his tune.  

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.