Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Would you support the idea of the team moving on and starting over with an expansion team?

crabbypatty

3 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I'll zoom in on #4 for you...

Anything is possible right? If your specific scenario comes true, then I guess it would overall NOT end up being a favorable series of events. Then again, I don't see that as very likely unless you're simply talking about a very short-term scenario where the Snyder team is better than the new Washington team for a couple years. 

But, over the past 20 years, this is, on the average, a 7-9 team that hasn't shown ANY ability to sustain occasional bubble-up success. So, if Snyder and his typical type of President or GM continue to make decisions for the team, I don't believe they would be more likely than an expansion team in becoming a true, consistent contender. That's what I would be holding out for. 

Also, a couple notes on MY response in the beginning of the thread...I was "in" based on the Washington team retaining the name, colors, history, etc. (similar to what happened with Cleveland in the 1990s). Secondly, a full tear down and rebuild under Snyder is all I could really see to drastically change the fortunes of a team he owns. So, for me to truly buy into your "Snyder takes the team to North Dakota and suddenly they are good" I would assume he would have done something like that. I also stated in my response that a full expansionesque rebuild is the more realistic version of this. Yes, it would all still roll up to Snyder, but maybe he'd seed the organization with the right folks to succeed underneath him. 

So, I'd be fine with Snyder bolting town and having to leave the name in DC while we get a new team and ownership

OR 

Snyder going full expansion team explosion on the team while they are still in DC and starting over

Neither are likely...but the point of this thread is to dream. 

Here's the thing, though...it's a thought exercise. So it's not about possibilities, at all. It's about presenting a scenario--regardless of whether or not we individually think the scenario is likely to happen--and then thinking through all the possible ramifications of that scenario and giving our response.

It's a bit like that question 'If you could have dinner with anyone, living or dead, who would it be?"...Very few people say "You can't have dinner with a dead person" lol...we all pretty much know it's an exercise in thinking about who interests or fascinates you, or who you may miss from your life, and then discussing our choices. I saw the OP as being like that, as well as my scenario. I think I even said I wasn't saying I think it would happen and that I wasn't talking about possibilities at all. Just seems like more thought should be put into this thought exercise.

1 hour ago, Califan007 said:

How can it be "semantics" if you're even admitting that your response was made before reading the entire post? That has nothing whatsoever to do with semantics. How the hell would I know if you read the entire thing or not? lol... Not to mention, how much of the "entire thing" did you read before saying nothing would make you happier in sports? The title? You at least read the title, right?

The main thought is in the title.

I explained my position. Everybody else understood. 

Thats it man. Lol 

2 hours ago, Califan007 said:

Not even slightly would I like it or support it.

What if it was done exactly like the Browns?  Keep the name, records, etc.  

Just new ownershop?

Nit suggesting that’s possible.  Just a thought.

I would support letting Dan take his team to London if we could get Jax to move up here, change the name to the Skins, and keep the records

Not going to happen, but I would embrace a Redskins team not owned by Dan Snyder.  

2 hours ago, Califan007 said:

Just to add to this thought exercise, think of this lol:

Snyder moves the team--along with the team name and team colors--to, I dunno...North Dakota. And we get an expansion team a year later.

Fast forward three more years...the Washington Regulators have gone 3-13, 6-10 and 5-11 over that timespan. Not unusual for an expansion team, but Its new owner seems (to fans anyway) just as incompetent as Snyder. The excitement of the newly-draftred franchise QB has waned as he starts to look like a Jason Campbell clone. There are threads started asking if anyone hates the new colors or misses the "maroon and yellow" unis.

Meanwhile, the North Dakota Redskins are now 10-6 and won the NFC North. The Cowboys have again won the NFC East and you get to hear all sorts of promos about the upcoming divisional playoff game against the Redskins and Cowboys as you sit in your Regulators jersey with the team's mediocre new franchise QB's nameplate on the back.

I'm not saying I think that would happen or that there's a high possibility of it happening....I'm not talking about ANY possibilities at all. This thread is a thought exercise. It just seems as if the ONLY thoughts anyone is having is that:

- Snyder will be gone

- The new owner will automatically be significantly better

- Positive results will show almost instantly

- It's impossible for a Snyder-owned team to do better than a new DC-based expansion team

- Losing the history that goes along with the franchise, its name, its logo, and it's uniforms will have no effect on any of us

The idea seems like a desire for a quick fix, without truly thinking through whether or not anything will be fixed outside of maybe PR for a season or two.

So you’re telling me there’s a chance. 😁

8 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Just new ownershop?

I would support letting Dan take his team to London if we could get Jax to move up here, change the name to the Skins, and keep the records

Not going to happen, but I would embrace a Redskins team not owned by Dan Snyder.  

That scenario I wouldn't mind, if it came to that. But I would want an entire new team, not the Jaguars now being called the Redskins. It would feel more like a complete rebuild instead of a masking.

The records and history mean a ****load in my eyes...I don't want Art Monk's legacy and records to be dragged around with Snyder wherever he decided to move his team. And it would most definitely be HIS team, as where for pretty much my entire tenure as a Redskins fan it has felt as if the team was "our" team, and the owner owned it. So yeah, if there's a way of keeping everything about the Redskins connected to the new team and Snyder can't have any of it, i could handle that worst case scenario.

2 hours ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

There is nothing in sports that I would want more. 

Seriously. My only connection to the team is the location. 

I basically dislike everything else except the colors 

And honestly the Skins don’t have to move. They can stay. I just want another local option 

XFL

11 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

That scenario I wouldn't mind, if it came to that. But I would want an entire new team, not the Jaguars now being called the Redskins. It would feel more like a complete rebuild instead of a masking.

Yeah, I’d prefer new also, but the nfl isn’t going to expand.  6 divisions of 4 is really perfect.  

As long as the name, records, history stays, the actual franchise/ownership whom is here I care less about.

And I’d be willing to send this franchise to Djibouti if it meant Snyder went with them.

1 minute ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Yeah, I’d prefer new also, but the nfl isn’t going to expand.  6 divisions of 4 is really perfect.  

As long as the name, records, history stays, the actual franchise/ownership whom is here I care less about.

And I’d be willing to send this franchise to Djibouti if it meant Snyder went with them.

Would you really want the Jags' ownership, though? lol...or did they change ownership from handlebar mustache guy?

12 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Would you really want the Jags' ownership, though? lol...or did they change ownership from handlebar mustache guy?

I was just using them as an example of a team that might move eventually. I’d take the chargers if they decide LA isn’t for them.  

Lets face it, at this point, most nfl teams are in big makets and not moving. Or they’re Green Bay and not moving.

To get rid of Snyder I would entertain this in all honesty. Even if it cost me a few seasons with no team in the area.  But i want to keep the team name here like Cleveland did. The Redskins belong to the DC region. Yes. Technically our franchise started in Boston. But the history developed here needs to stay here.  Dan can take the team wherever he wants and name it whatever he wants. But he has not earned the right to take my Redskins. 

46 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

The records and history mean a ****load in my eyes...I don't want Art Monk's legacy and records to be dragged around with Snyder wherever he decided to move his team. And it would most definitely be HIS team, as where for pretty much my entire tenure as a Redskins fan it has felt as if the team was "our" team, and the owner owned it. So yeah, if there's a way of keeping everything about the Redskins connected to the new team and Snyder can't have any of it, i could handle that worst case scenario.

I couldn’t agree with this more.

The other thing that is important, and also held true with the Browns, they stayed in the same division.

I would reject getting the Jags, changing the name and then still playing in the AFC South.  

For me it would have to be exactly like the Browns: same name, stats, history, division, everything except the current owner and team.  

58 minutes ago, Csup said:

So you’re telling me there’s a chance. 😁

You really should have used the gif28BE6863-EAE7-48E2-B54E-252218B2E4C1.png.29809bad42657eebaf20ccdc40392003.png

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Just new ownershop?

Except the name. There is no chance someone buys an expansion team and starts it with the name "Redskins". None. 

Also to consider is the possibility that the new team would be an AFC team, no way in hell I would/could I root for that. As much of the Redskins history/traditions/name bring joy to me, so does being in the NFC east. Rivalry is important, I want to continue to go up against and hate on the other 3 teams.

1 minute ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I agree.  But this is a hypothetical.

in the case the name is changed as part of this, I wouldn’t be fore it.

I disagree. Give me a new owner who has an actual plan involving football people being in charge, and the legacy colts, etc. and I'd be fully for it.

I'm sick of hearing about the name at this point, and if we ever get good again, it will immediately become the thing everyone talks about to a ridiculous amount. I'm sick of it. Among Snyder's crimes is he sat back as the PR battle over the name was completely lost. It's really unwindable now, the time to fight it has passed. I don't want to be worried if we're not going to get a player, or a coach, or a stadium because of the stupid name. It's going to have to be changed, it's just a matter of when at this point.

3 hours ago, Califan007 said:

Snyder moves the team--along with the team name and team colors--to, I dunno...North Dakota. And we get an expansion team a year later.

Fast forward three more years...the Washington Regulators have gone 3-13, 6-10 and 5-11 over that timespan.

Meanwhile, the North Dakota Redskins are now 10-6 and won the NFC North.

Snyder is tied to the area as much as he is the name. He won't go anywhere. But OK, let's pretend he did. Your second sentence is possible. Your third sentence is highly unlikely because Snyder still owns the North Dakota team. It's funny though that you didn't go as high as winning 11 games because a Snyder owned team never gets that far. I would keep everything the way it is with exception of Snyder hiring a GM, and only writing the checks and helping out with HarvestFest. No coaching or personnel input or decisions whatsoever. He's never going to sell the team, or move it, so the best thing to do in starting over is for the owner to stay out of it. I know, I know, it's right there in front of him and he STILL can't see the forest.

I would be wildly excited if this occurred!  My head tells me Daniel Snyder will never win whereas my foolish heart ignores what my eyes have seen and my mind remembers.  It is the only way Snyder will depart during my lifetime.  It’s painful to know this can’t happen.

One more thing, I would like the new team to be called the Washington Warriors and their logo should be a pentagon!  I would buy tickets!

Archived