Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Would you support the idea of the team moving on and starting over with an expansion team?

crabbypatty

The reason I became a Redskins fan was the fact that the Colts left Baltimore and the Redskins replaced them as the team on TV regional coverage on CBS just about the time I was becoming interested in football 

It also was the beginning of the Gibbs era and the winning 

However when Baltimore was given a team I stayed a Redskins fan 

So If the Redskins were to leave for 2 years before an expansion team was created some might become Panthers fans based on the fact they would probably become the NFC team shown as regional coverage on FOX 

This is what I've been saying. Move the team to Mexico. There's no good reason to have a DC football team with an ever shrinking market.

When you had no competition and only regular TV, there was a large market, so the team could sustain a couple losing decades and not lose fans, but kids today dont care about brand loyalty, based on location. 

39 minutes ago, c slag said:

The reason I became a Redskins fan was the fact that the Colts left Baltimore and the Redskins replaced them as the team on TV regional coverage on CBS just about the time I was becoming interested in football 

It also was the beginning of the Gibbs era and the winning 

However when Baltimore was given a team I stayed a Redskins fan 

So If the Redskins were to leave for 2 years before an expansion team was created some might become Panthers fans based on the fact they would probably become the NFC team shown as regional coverage on FOX 

I think the number of fans who defected during the hiatus would depend on the conditions...

If part of the arrangement when they left town was that an expansion team would be replacing them and taking on their name and history, I don't think there would be many defections. Hell, as I mentioned before, I think I'd enjoy the lull and break from 16 weeks of frustration on many levels. 

If it wasn't decided and the expansion team just showed up after a certain amount of time, that would be different. Fans may leave then because they wouldn't have any way of knowing there's anything to wait around for. 

14 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

This is what I've been saying. Move the team to Mexico. There's no good reason to have a DC football team with an ever shrinking market.

When you had no competition and only regular TV, there was a large market, so the team could sustain a couple losing decades and not lose fans, but kids today dont care about brand loyalty, based on location. 

Think we'll ever get to a time when sports teams don't represent cities but rather sponsors? Like you said, for the vast majority of consumers the location of the game is meaningless. They could still have league venues and rotate around where all the games are played...but the "Redskins" might represent FedEx and the "Cowboys" might represent AT&T. 

^^^^ would they be stuck on it?

10 hours ago, crabbypatty said:

One thing that isn't mentioned is how many fans we lost in the Carolinas when the Panthers came on the scene. A big chunk of the fanbase defected to panther fans.

I've wondered about this..I've watched Redskins football all over the western hemisphere and all I've heard is how the Carolinas was Redskins country..not the case any more?

54 minutes ago, ClaytoAli said:

They do have a team now.

Well ya makes sense..a team that's been to a Superbowl have been relevant since they started I can understand that.

5 minutes ago, KingGibbs said:

I've recently stated to friends that I wish Snyder would pick up and relocate so I wouldn't have to forced to support this organization anymore. By forced I mean I'm too invested in this team too simply stop watching now.

Have ya stopped all hope/rooting for the players that make up the Washington Redskins team?

8 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

Well ya makes sense..a team that's been to a Superbowl have been relevant since they started I can understand that.

Have ya stopped all hope/rooting for the players that make up the Washington Redskins team?

Root? I'm apathetic these days.

Archived