Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Redskins vs. Texans

KDawg

57 minutes ago, dckey said:

I agree with everything but with the clock management.  It was 4th and 10 so you couldn't get 7-8 yards.  And also many are talking about the timeouts before the 2 minute warning.  If he would have taken the timeouts before the 2 minute warning and then we get that PI on Norman the game would have been over.  Now the mismanagement was the shot to Doctson with 19 seconds left.  Even if he caught it you would not be able to clock it.  I don't know if that is on the qb or coach?

we always seem to squander timeouts. remember last week 2 used in the first 10 min of the 3rd qtr 1 in the first minute and a half I believe

2 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Much more good here you are leaving out. 

1. Alex was playing his best game as a Redskins before being injured. 

2. The D was actually pretty good after a shaky start. They gave up 10 pts in the 1 Q then only 6 on 2 Fgs the rest of the game. The other TD was the pick 6. Yea, they had a few runs in the 2nd half. But the D stopped them. Only 6 pts in the 2nd half. 

3. STs was very good again. They just keep playing great ball.
4. The makeshift O line played very very well. 

The pass protection blown was not on the Oline - it was the RB. But it was still just bad luck his leg got shattered. So not sure why you call this breakdown out over any other sack. The other team is trying too. And they have 2 of the best pass rushers in the league. Overall the Oline did a very good job. 

The pick 6 was on Reed. It is clear. You can;t improvise on the goal line. Alex threw a timing pass that has to be gone before Reed even makes his break. It's not the first time Reed has ran the wrong pattern. 

Yea, they had some yds but still only 16 pts total on Offense. At some point people will see this is not an accident. 

I only pick out 3 of each, and actually prefer others post their own independent thoughts, vs nitpick why someone omitted a good. Anyways.

Alex playing his best game for a half - 7 points off a nice AP run... ok.  I call that a bad since it took 10 weeks to get a great half out of him.  I am still not 100% sold that P6 is totally on Reed which could cause a rethink of the best game line.  I have seen Alex have minimal chemistry with almost all players most of the year, and has been grossly inaccurate on many throws.  I called it drunk Alex.  It's pure speculation to pin that sack on the RB, ignoring 3 OL covering 1 Texan (the RE??) immediately after the snap.  You know why I am singling out that play, because the result of that play is the focus of a lot of the discussion today. 

We know what bend don't break is. Which is largely holding the opposition in check, but then losing a coin flip. It hasn't been an accident for the ~2 decades we have been often featuring it.  You can't just single out 16 points when they also scored a return TD.  For with our feeble offense, they could bend don't break us to victory, and not press on offense.

Ugh......this game is the one that got away.  Whether it was the lack of PI calls or the pick six trip to the red zone. Even if we get 3 in that spot the game outlook changes completely.  

Excited for Thursday, gonna cheer for Colt and the boys to take care of the Cowboys.  What worries me is the way Zeke is running the ball lately.  We need to bottle him up again!  

50 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

I'm still scratching my head as to why Gruden called a deep pass on 3rd and 10 at the end of the game instead of doing a little screen pass to gain some yardage.  I think Hopkins could have made that with 5-6 more yards.

yeah if Doctson had caught it, game over we lose anyway because we only had 8 secs. to get down and stop the clock

17 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

Gotta hit the underneath route for sure.. especially in the situation we were in.. I don't know maybe it was a Gamble lol

Couldn't have said it better myself the pick 6 duh duh definitely took the wind outta the sails.. but looking at the way our offense was operating before and after the Smith injury has me feeling okay today

So do I, I could totally see Colt being Todd Collins 2.0. This guy has been with Jay from the beginning don't underestimate the value of knowing a system inside out, He looked very comfortable yesterday. 

At the end of the day lets be honest, We weren't winning games because of Alex Smith play, we were winning games in spit of Alex Smith's play. This team has won 6 games because of our run game and defense. I'm more concerned when Trent Williams is coming back as opposed to who is behind center.

30 minutes ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

Agreed, just a terrible play call, Did Gruden really think we was going to catch them by surprise or did he think Doctson was going to draw a P.I. ? 

I'm guessing the play wasn't designed to go deep but when the intended receivers were covered McCoy just took a shot.

Just now, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

So do I, I could totally see Colt being Todd Collins 2.0. This guy has been with Jay from the beginning don't underestimate the value of knowing a system inside out, He looked very comfortable yesterday. 

At the end of the day lets be honest, We weren't winning games because of Alex Smith play, we were winning games in spit of Alex Smith's play. This team has won 6 games because of our run game and defense. I'm more concerned when Trent Williams is coming back as opposed to who is behind center.

That is the million dollar question!!!!  When is Trent back???  When is Chris BACK???  When is Jameson back???  I hope they all held out yesterday to get ready for Thursday.  

3 minutes ago, Bigmuss1 said:

That is the million dollar question!!!!  When is Trent back???  When is Chris BACK???  When is Jameson back???  I hope they all held out yesterday to get ready for Thursday.  

You can bet your bottom dollar that that's what the case is.. non-conference game.. why chance it

8 minutes ago, dckey said:

1st down Pass to Quinn

1st Down Clock the ball

2nd Down pass incomplete short right to M.Floyd

3rd Down Deep incomplete to Doctson

4th and 10

They should've tried to pick up the 1st there instead of going for it all.  Made no sense to go deep and then you're on 4th down.  IMO, they could've tried a quick out to get the 1st on 4th down but that's questionable too with only :08 seconds left.  That's just me though.  The 3rd down play call really made no sense unless they were trying for a PI the whole time.

1 minute ago, SAli457180 said:

They should've tried to pick up the 1st there instead of going for it all.  Made no sense to go deep and then you're on 4th down.  IMO, they could've tried a quick out to get the 1st on 4th down but that's questionable too with only :08 seconds left.  That's just me though.  The 3rd down play call really made no sense unless they were trying for a PI the whole time.

Which they actually did get the PI. Just not the call. 

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

That works for me. Although the PI there should have been called and netted us those yards anyways. But with the clock where it was, the ball where it was, and the kicker the way he is... I don't think the pass to Doctson was a great decision.

I think 2nd-and-10 from the Houston 45 is what changed that entire sequence. 

Quinn got the 10-12 yards and we ran up and spiked the ball (1st down). With 19 seconds left McCoy threw to the right sideline toward Floyd but it wasn't really close to being a completion. Any positive yardage there (assuming Floyd gets out of bounds) changes the entire dynamic. Certainly one more first down would have been great too. But after getting NOTHING on 1st and 2nd down on that series, we were in a tough spot with 3rd down and only 16 seconds because we couldn't gain fewer than 10 yards in bounds or we'd run out of time (can't get the FG team on the field and can't spike on 4th down). 

So I think they decided to fish for a PI. Certainly on 3rd-and-10 a 15-yard out would have been great, but the Texans I'm sure were guarding the boundaries. That's why I think even 4-5 yards on 2nd-and-10 would have helped because you can usually slip a back or TE out for 5-6 to the sideline. So if it was 3rd-and-5 from the 40, we could have likely gotten to the 35 and out of bounds. Even if we didn't, kicking from 57/58 is more reasonable, for sure. 

The Good

Loved the way Colt run the offense when he came in.  He seems more in control than Smith, less panic, and even though obviously doesn't have the arm strength of Smith, the ball was there and on time.  Very interesting to see how he progresses from now on.  He knows this offense like no other.

I think our defensive backs are getting in stride.  Much better game than say Atlanta and I think HaHa is fitting in nicely. They will get better.

We didn't give up after that horrid pick-6, in fact the team continued playing hard.

Bad

The refs, horrible call on 4 different plays, 3 against us and one against Houston.

That was not a fumble recovery, no way the Houston WR had possession of the ball.  Totally blown call by the refs, even after review, unless they surmised the ball never hit the ground.  If that is the case they never said it.  Phantom PI on Norman, seriously if that is a PI then every passing play will be a PI in this league, especially since the QB was running with the ball and it was the other side of the field.  Doctson clearly is hit by the CB before the ball gets there and then the safety goes thru him to get the ball only for Doctson to almost catch it.  What exactly is the ref thinking there compared to the call on Norman.  Total BS.  Last, I know this league has tonne down the QB roughing calls and that was no way a roughing call on Preston. Hit just when he released the ball, with shoulder and and arm, and then didn't drive him exactly to the ground.  Another game changing call.  

Drops by Davis.  Killers, especially the second one as he was wide open, pass was decent (for once) and simply drops what might have been a TD.  Then we have that pick 6 on us when we were about to start dominating.  For a QB that is not suppose to make mistakes, Smith made had two crucial INTs. 

All of a sudden this D can't really stop the run well.   Why?  Are we doing something that other teams exploit?  We need to fix it ASAP as the Cowboys live and die by Zeke's run play.

Horrible injury to Smith, I wish him all the best and speedy recovery.

43 minutes ago, dckey said:

1st down Pass to Quinn

1st Down Clock the ball

2nd Down pass incomplete short right to M.Floyd

3rd Down Deep incomplete to Doctson

4th and 10

That 3rd down deep shot to Doctson is the only thing about that drive I question. 

Now it should have paid off because it was blatant PI on him which would have set up a chip shot FG. But I would have liked us to run something quick under that to the outside and picked up another 7 or 8 yards to make the FG attempt more realistic. 

The problem with the run defense right now, which really started a few weeks ago, is that the linebackers have no ability to seal off the edge.  Watch the replays on most big runs and you will see that the interior D-line is still plugging up the middle nicely, but the RB's keep bouncing to the outside and there is never a linebacker there to stop them.

Mason Foster is slow, we all know this, but even Zach Brown is being caught up on this and not getting into position to seal the edge and force the RB to bounce back in.  I wasn't worried when it happened in the first game against the Falcons because sometimes you just run into an O-coordinator who comes up with a plan and you are unable to adjust in game enough, but I guarantee after that game Manusky and his coaches saw the tape and saw most big runs were to the outside, and were on the players about it, yet it hasn't improved and it has gotten worse.   I am fully expecting to see Zeke running the ball off the left and right sides on Thursday and not up the gut.  I am not sure if there is a way for the LB's to cheat a little bit or even fake some other kind of coverage before going to the right position, but they need to figure out a way to lock down those outside runs.

There was a run in the Houston game can't remember if it was Miller or Blue, but the initial running lane was inside-ish, but I think Smith or Allen sealed it off, and the RB simply bounced to the outside where Mason was, but he ran right around Mason even though if you freeze frame the play, Mason was in perfect position by NFL standards, to make the play for no gain or possibly the RB falls forward for a 1 yard gain. Instead he just runs right around Mason.  It was awful.

18 minutes ago, TheGreek1973 said:

Drops by Davis.  Killers, especially the second one as he was wide open, pass was decent (for once) and simply drops what might have been a TD.  Then we have that pick 6 on us when we were about to start dominating.  For a QB that is not suppose to make mistakes, Smith made had two crucial INTs. 

The pick 6 was not on Smith for me. It was on Reed. It's not black and white but Reed is running an option route - he has to know that the ball is coming out quick if its coming to him. After he makes his choice and cuts to the outside he can't then pivot back to the inside. He has to know the QB will throw to the back of his helmet, square up, show the QB his numbers and box out the defender. 

Second pick was 100% on Smith. 

All of a sudden this D can't really stop the run well.   Why?  Are we doing something that other teams exploit?  We need to fix it ASAP as the Cowboys live and die by Zeke's run play.

One thing I have noticed is we have had OLBs stunting inside more and asked ILBs to set the edge. Not every play. But when there have been big runs they have tended to come on the edges and I have noticed that inside stunt on a number of them. Asking any ILB to scrape and set an edge is a big ask - asking ours to do it is asking for trouble.

I may not be 100% right about this but it is something I have seen a couple of times - might be the OLB getting blocked inside instead of keeping the outside shoulder free but it's looked like they wanted to go inside right off the snap.

If we are doing that I would highly recommend we stop it immediately ... 

12 minutes ago, TheGreek1973 said:

The inability to stop the run is coming at the worst time with Dal@ss getting hot and they'll follow the Atlanta and Houston blueprint by moving the ball efficiently early which sets passes to the WRs.   Manusky and Co. needs to find a way to fix this, but there's not time with the short week.  

That game was a lot closer than I thought it would be.  At the end we were in a position to win by a fg.  If only we had an extra 10 yards.  Also take away the taint and it's a different game. 

This team still leads the division and we brought it to the Texans who are pretty legit.  We win Thanksgiving and we are in excellent position to win the division even with Colt.  He takes more risks but at times that's a good thing.

11 minutes ago, SAli457180 said:

The inability to stop the run is coming at the worst time with Dal@ss getting hot and they'll follow the Atlanta and Houston blueprint by moving the ball efficiently early which sets passes to the WRs.   Manusky and Co. needs to find a way to fix this, but there's not time with the short week.  

They can fix it, especially with Dallas, we need to stop the run at all costs.  You stop Zeke like we did in the first game and a little more productivity out of Colt and the offense and we win it.

I understand why they did the deep ball to Doctson. They're hoping he either goes up and makes a great grab or he draws a PI. In  that instance he drew an incredibly obvious PI but the refs decided to not call it. That would have been the game. The penalty would have stopped the clock, we have a chip shot FG and we kick it off to them with about 5 seconds left on the clock. That non-call was a KILLER. The BS holding on Norman was as well. 

1 hour ago, redskinss said:

I'm guessing the play wasn't designed to go deep but when the intended receivers were covered McCoy just took a shot.

Yeah, I think it's very rare that a coach calls a play and tells the QB which receiver he will target. I believe it happens, but these are split-second decisions being made by players. 

It's not like Gruden said "Colt, throw deep and in bounds to Doctson...I'm sure we'll be fine and something miraculous will happen to either stop the clock or allow him to score"

Archived