Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Starting QB 2019???

Renegade7

Who should be the starting QB in 2019???  

402 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the starting QB in 2019???

• Alex Smith
    • Colt McCoy
    • Trade for a Veteran
    • Sign a Veteran
    • First Round Pick (2019 draft class)
    • Non-First Round Pick (2019 draft class)
    • Too Early to Answer
    • I don't know yet
    • We're screwed (at least at QB for 2019)

9 minutes ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

Yeahhhh kinda. I mean New Orleans knew what they were getting  in Brees though, He was a 4 year man in SD and just starting to come into his own where as Rosen is a 1 year man just starting to well... Im not sure where he is going

Yeah, but the injury concerns were so profound (or they were so overstated) that it felt like they were taking on a pretty big risk. Brees did okay in SD, but was a borderline flop there. At least that's what I kind of remember. 

People thought that it could work out, but no one really thought that San Diego was making a mistake for giving up on Brees. As history unfolded, you might argue that both teams did fine, but still... I think if they knew who Brees could become that SD would have never pulled that trigger.

55 minutes ago, Veryoldschool said:

If Rosen is so good why are the Cardinals willing to trade him and take a chance on another guy?  I'm not saying a poor rookie season with a poor team is definitive since many rookie seasons are a struggle for 1st round picks since bad teams typically draft the top QBs but I don't recall other teams trading their former 1st round pick and drafting another QB.  Can anyone remember something comparable?

I don’t think Murray is a luxury that the Cards can afford - even if they’re in love with him. 

My sense is that the Cards are simply driving up the value of their draft position in hopes of trading out of that spot for a kings ransom. 

It’s really the only scenario that works if the Cards are truly trying to build that team into a winner. 

2 hours ago, Burgold said:

Sure, but the three first rounders has always been a bit of a red herring. We swapped firsts and then added two more.

I agree about that specific semantic on the Redskins trade but the same exact point then would apply to the other trades we are doing apples to apples comparisons with.  So if the exchange #1 doesn't count as part of the soup -- and we just count the additional two #1s.  Then the same principle would apply to the other trades where in their case instead of giving up two #1 picks then they only gave up one #1.  Anyway you cut it the Redskins gave up one more #1 pick than any other trade I can think of at least in recent times.

2 hours ago, Burgold said:

But I can see the argument that the extra first has much more value than a third and a fourth (unless you drafted as the Rams did) In any case, this is a ancient history. I do suspect one day we will see another crazy trade.  Whether it be the Ricky Williams trade, the Hershel Walker trade, the RGIII trade or the Wentz trade. At some point, a GM will go nuts. It might even be next year if people continue to think that Tua is Superman.

Maybe so but right now I've heard that trade being talked about by national reporters as what teams consider overdoing it as for the number of first rounders.  But yeah you never know it could happen again.  I was cool with it at the time.  But now I wouldn't like a trade like that at least not for anyone in this draft.

This part of the article is what strikes me - As a thrower, Haskins is elite.  As an athlete, Haskins is not. 

The only 2 successful QB's I can think of that kind of fit this narrative are Brady and Phillip Rivers.  Are there any others?

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/why-aggressive-move-get-dwayne-haskins-starting-feel-possible-redskins

Why an aggressive move to get Dwayne Haskins is starting to feel possible for the Redskins

It’s been quite the week for the Redskins and Ohio State quarterback Dwayne Haskins. 

The Buckeye star, who threw for 50 touchdowns in 2018, participated in his Pro Day on Wednesday and drew quite the crowd. Coaches, GMs and executives were there from a number of NFL teams, including Jay Gruden and Bruce Allen. 

Of course they were. Haskins is arguably the best QB prospect in this class. He has prototypical size and a big arm, is accurate on his throws and doesn’t turn the ball over much. He might get drafted after Oklahoma’s Kyler Murray, but there are a few teams that prefer the bigger, stronger Haskins to the diminutive Heisman Trophy winner out of Oklahoma. 

Haskins seems unlikely to make it to the 15th pick, where the Redskins are currently slotted, but that didn’t stop Sports Illustrated from putting the quarterback to Washington in their latest mock draft. 

Beyond that, ESPN reported that Haskins is set to visit the Redskins in the coming weeks.

Add all of that up, and it’s quite obvious the Redskins have real interest in Haskins. With a quarterback situation described kindly as in flux, Washington has to draft a rookie QB. 

Case Keenum and Colt McCoy are only under contract for the 2019 season, and while Alex Smith is guaranteed money for the next two years, nobody seems to know if he can ever play again. 

And let’s be clear, while Haskins has plenty of potential, joining a team with two veteran signal callers might serve him well. He started just one year at Ohio State and still seems raw when testing defenses. He has a big arm but not much mobility, and being thrust into a situation too early could thwart his development. 

As a thrower, Haskins is elite. 

As an athlete, Haskins is not. 

He ran a slow 40-yard-dash and didn’t seem particularly agile. He does move well inside the pocket, and that has worked out just fine for a number of big-time QBs.

CBS reported that the Redskins have become enamored with Haskins and might consider moving up to draft him. Washington Senior VP of Player Personnel Doug Williams mentioned that trading up could be a possibility in the upcoming draft, and the Jets with the third pick have long been rumored as willing partners to trade down. 

Moving up to the third pick would take a lot, but keep in mind the history of the situation. 

Washington hasn’t made the playoffs for three seasons and the fans are growing increasingly frustrated. 

The last time Washington missed the playoffs three straight seasons? 2012. 

The same year they traded up to draft Robert Griffin III. 

The only first round picks the Redskins should involve in any trade is their's this year. 

What's interesting is that for a while it seemed like he could easily slip down to us, but suddenly there's all this extra interest.  People are trying to drum up interest for trades at least

15 hours ago, Morrissey1972 said:

I don’t think Murray is a luxury that the Cards can afford - even if they’re in love with him. 

My sense is that the Cards are simply driving up the value of their draft position in hopes of trading out of that spot for a kings ransom. 

It’s really the only scenario that works if the Cards are truly trying to build that team into a winner. 

I've seen this theory posted before. I don't agree.

If the Cardinals love and want Murray they will take him, if they don't (or decide they have other needs that are more important) they won't. How does that drive up the value of the pick? The only value the pick has is if the are clear they DONT want him and teams who do then feel the need to trade up past another team who might jump to pick 2 or 3 to get him.

2 hours ago, HigSkin said:

This part of the article is what strikes me - As a thrower, Haskins is elite.  As an athlete, Haskins is not. 

The only 2 successful QB's I can think of that kind of fit this narrative are Brady and Phillip Rivers.  Are there any others?

Are you kidding me?

Pretty much all of them? How fast do you think Peyton ran the 40? Or Marino? Or Mark Rypien or Doug Williams come to that?

"Athletic" QBs have pretty much been the exception not the norm. Of course 'athletic QB' was pretty much always used as another way of saying 'Black QB'. If you mean of current QBs not many are complete statues (and neither is Haskins) but think of Matt Ryan, Eli Manning (2 Super Bowls), Stafford, even Drew Brees or Big Ben do not move around much these days.

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

unless they are absolutely in love with the dude, yuck as for trading all that capital if it went down

Trade Nightmare

That is my worst nightmare come true. Good grief who would even think that is a good trade! Do we really think they learned nothing from Robert? I am not sure my heart can take a trade like that. 

19 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Are you kidding me?

Pretty much all of them? How fast do you think Peyton ran the 40? Or Marino? Or Mark Rypien or Doug Williams come to that?

"Athletic" QBs have pretty much been the exception not the norm. Of course 'athletic QB' was pretty much always used as another way of saying 'Black QB'. If you mean of current QBs not many are complete statues (and neither is Haskins) but think of Matt Ryan, Eli Manning (2 Super Bowls), Stafford, even Drew Brees or Big Ben do not move around much these days.

Yes, talking current QB's

Just now, HigSkin said:

Yes, talking current QB's

I think the thing to look at with QBs like Haskins and Rosen (who are similar types of QBs) is how do they feel pressure and move within the pocket. Can they slide inside the pocket and when they feel pressure do they try to climb the pocket (step up) rather than look to bail out backwards or move outside the pocket etc etc.

Haskins numbers against pressure last season were excellent by the way. 

3 minutes ago, WelshSkinsFan said:

I am just hoping that the Skins are pushing the narrative that they want a QB so that if by some miracle Haskins falls to them they get an offer to move back and add picks.

If Haskins falls to pick 15 we are taking him. I think that's almost a lock. The question is will we move up because the assumption is he will not make it to 15.

3 hours ago, HigSkin said:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Drew Brees is kind of successful. Maybe. I guess.

Matt Ryan has been successful, and I don't see him hurdling linebackers very often. Ben Roethlisberger hasn't really fit the "athletic" description in the past decade, Jared Goff's athleticism is questionable, Kirk Cousins and about 20 others are sitting on the border wondering what your definitions of "successful" and "athletic" are.

I have trouble posting tweets on this site and can't cut/paste like I can on others.  But here is what I read on twitter.  Jay was at WVU's Pro Day to watch Grier's workout and he had a very good workout per reports.  Allen and Co. are/were at Locks workout.  I haven't hear how his went.  Maybe his is later today.

1 minute ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

Well what do you consider a reasonable price?

I would not trade up at all personally. Let the draft come to us.

But next years first would be off the table. Maybe this years 2nd and one of the 3rd round picks. Max.

Which leads me back to Rosen who we could probably get for this years 2nd if the Cards do want to move him. Thats the smart play IMO.

30 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I have trouble posting tweets on this site and can't cut/paste like I can on others.  But here is what I read on twitter.  Jay was at WVU's Pro Day to watch Grier's workout and he had a very good workout per reports.  Allen and Co. are/were at Locks workout.  I haven't hear how his went.  Maybe his is later today.

Anybody watching D. Lock's pro day on NFLN?  He looks no where near as sharp as I thought he would without pressure.  

I'll be curious to see what other experts say....

Bucky and DJ were on the "he's a real development guy with a great arm and ability to move around" narrative - needs to sit and learn at least a year.  Said he isn't a guy you expect to start day 1.

And this after they said the kid needs a year on the bench....LOL

26 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Anybody watching D. Lock's pro day on NFLN?  He looks no where near as sharp as I thought he would without pressure.  

I'll be curious to see what other experts say....

Bucky and DJ were on the "he's a real development guy with a great arm and ability to move around" narrative - needs to sit and learn at least a year.  Said he isn't a guy you expect to start day 1.

I haven't really been impressed with Lock.  If he goes to the Broncos, that's cool.  I like Murray, Rosen, then Stidham.  It will be interesting to see if all the Skins FO, to include Jay are at Daniel Jones Pro Day on 3/26.  We shall see.  That will be telling somewhat.  

Archived