Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN: Memes lead to teenage obesity, lawmakers told

China

American left is disappointed they didn’t think to get offended first. 

Step up your game you American snowflake *******. Europe is out - ****ing the American *******. Unacceptable

(As to the asterisks above, think about felines. Or ____willows)

23 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

Likely, both are happening.  Epigenetics are changes in your DNA that can then be passed down to offspring.  Some people are likely inheriting epigenetic changes that we don't completely understand that make them more prone to becoming obese.  These changes are more likely to be passed down from people that are already obese.

However, it is also clear that over eating causes epigenetic changes (obese people have the epigenetic changes to pass down because their DNA has changed a s a result of their over eating).  

Yes, clearly best way to not to become obese is not to over eat.  Also the best way to not become addicted to alcohol is to never drink.  And the best way to not become addicted to nicotine is to never smoke.

Like most things, when it comes to addiction, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

However, try going around telling people they should never over eat (or drink alcohol) and see how well that works (or try making it illegal.  Try putting an extra tax of sugary beverages and see what happens), especially as people are different.  Different people are going to be able to over eat different amounts until their body starts to make the changes that really lead to obesity.  And this is something I tell my daughter about addiction in general-

The problem is you don't know what kind of person you are until its too late.  You might be the kind of person that is able to over eat a lot without having changes that are more likely to lead to obesity or not.  You might be a person that can drink alcohol on a regular basis without becoming addicted.   Or you might the person that gets addicted essentially after one drink.

The changes start happening before you are a obese.  It isn't like one day you aren't obese and don't have the changes, but another day you are obese and have changes associated with obesity.  And when and where those changes occur and how it differs from different people is not clear.

In summary, parents need to be responsible for what their kids eat and if a teen is obese it’s largely the parents fault. 

1 hour ago, Hersh said:

In summary, parents need to be responsible for what their kids eat and if a teen is obese it’s largely the parents fault. 

Tell trying a 12 year old when they are going to a sleep over not to eat too much junk.

There is no doubt that parents play a large role in obesity, especially among younger children, but it doesn't mean that we as a larger society don't play a role too and can't help parents out some and people that are already obese.

It isn't like there are any fast rules to follow.  Most kids like to eat cereal for breakfast.  I grew up eating cereal and so far have avoided being over weight, much less obese, but how much sugar in cereal until it become junk?  How much often can you eat that junk cereal?

Those things are unknown and likely vary from person to person.

14 minutes ago, Hersh said:

I disagree vehemently.  My son is 12 and could drink 5 gallons of bacon grease,  he would lose weight doing so

My neighbor and his wife are both federal law enforcemeent and wake up at 4 am for their daily 90 minute workout.  They both look like characters from 300.  They have a teenage daughter with different genetics (adopted) and now that she is a teenager with a drivers license  she has really put on weight.  They had, at one point, gone as far as limiting her portions but realized it was doing way more harm than good.  They do require she stay active, which she does.  However she also lives in a society filled with pizza parties, dinners out with friends, etc.  As part of her driving freedom, parents are weighing which battles to fight and her overall happiness.

Her friends with better dna are skinny.  

Glad you would feel so comfortble judging the respective parents here.  Skinny kids = better parents.  Hitler would approve

56 minutes ago, zoony said:

I disagree vehemently.  My son is 12 and could drink 5 gallons of bacon grease,  he would lose weight doing so

My neighbor and his wife are both federal law enforcemeent and wake up at 4 am for their daily 90 minute workout.  They both look like characters from 300.  They have a teenage daughter with different genetics (adopted) and now that she is a teenager with a drivers license  she has really put on weight.  They had, at one point, gone as far as limiting her portions but realized it was doing way more harm than good.  They do require she stay active, which she does.  However she also lives in a society filled with pizza parties, dinners out with friends, etc.  As part of her driving freedom, parents are weighing which battles to fight and her overall happiness.

Glad you would feel so comfortble judging the respective parents here.  Skinny kids = better parents.  Hitler would approve

It feels like every argument (on both sides) is on the fringes...

In your example, sure, there might be little that those parents can do with that child. But, by and large, there is PLENTY parents and individuals can do to curtail awful eating habits. Can they prevent their child from eating three Oatmeal Creme Pies while at a friend's house? No. But, they can have a significant influence over what he or she eats most of the time. And, in MOST cases, that's a huge step. 

This feels like a bell curve or maybe the 80/20 rule...being more strict or diligent about a known problem won't solve all cases, but it might help to solve many of them. 

1 hour ago, zoony said:

Go **** yourself. You’re the most judgmental person on here. Do not put words into my mouth. 

1 hour ago, PeterMP said:

Tell trying a 12 year old when they are going to a sleep over not to eat too much junk.

There is no doubt that parents play a large role in obesity, especially among younger children, but it doesn't mean that we as a larger society don't play a role too and can't help parents out some and people that are already obese.

It isn't like there are any fast rules to follow.  Most kids like to eat cereal for breakfast.  I grew up eating cereal and so far have avoided being over weight, much less obese, but how much sugar in cereal until it become junk?  How much often can you eat that junk cereal?

Those things are unknown and likely vary from person to person.

I agree 100% and I meant parents are responsible for what they eat at home and where they go as a family to eat. Not what kids eat at a friends house. 

On 10/18/2018 at 4:37 PM, Springfield said:

Jesus people are dumb.

There is an entire generation in power right now that jus has no idea how to use the Internet.  They are literally in the way right now.  Laws are typically behind the reality on the ground, but the web has reached warp speed now. 

My hope is when future generations come in that they acknowledge younger generations better understanding of the future and factor their decisions in where the technology is heading as opposed to now barely playing catchup.

In class in told 3 years back and 3 years forward for what's around you, think 2 years back and 1 forward for policy and citations.  Our laws are well over a decade behind where we are fight now, its embarrassing 

16 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

Are you sure he didn't mean simply that Jesus people are dumb? 

It was a take on the modern way of typing where no punctuation is used so that people can interpret it in any way they so choose

2018 wins again

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

There is an entire generation in power right now that jus has no idea how to use the Internet.  They are literally in the way right now.  Laws are typically behind the reality on the ground, but the web has reached warp speed now. 

My hope is when future generations come in that they acknowledge younger generations better understanding of the future and factor their decisions in where the technology is heading as opposed to now barely playing catchup.

In class in told 3 years back and 3 years forward for what's around you, think 2 years back and 1 forward for policy and citations.  Our laws are well over a decade behind where we are fight now, its embarrassing 

Well, the founding fathers intended for law to move slowly and not be reactionary.  The internet now allows things to happen in an instant.

...and our lawmakers don’t know how the internet works.

Once again, the Millenials will have to save America.

28 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Well, the founding fathers intended for law to move slowly and not be reactionary.  The internet now allows things to happen in an instant.

...and our lawmakers don’t know how the internet works.

Once again, the Millenials will have to save America.

Curious what makes you say that.  Jefferson. Wanted Constitution reviewed every 20 years to keep with the times.

26 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Curious what makes you say that.  Jefferson. Wanted Constitution reviewed every 20 years to keep with the times.

I don’t know really.  I’ve always just understood the local and national laws as something that was meant to be slow to change by design.

23 minutes ago, Springfield said:

I don’t know really.  I’ve always just understood the local and national laws as something that was meant to be slow to change by design.

I'd have to look into that. 

I dont think it was meant to be too easy nor the gridlock we have today.  There is plus and minuses to this, especially in government cybersecurity policy.  Basically need Congress to agree on any overhaul in security compliance for federal, non-DoD or state level government and they agree on what color the sky is.  That's why Obama went executive order route on that. Better then nothing, like walking around in Antarctica with jus underwear on, technically not naked.

TARP shows that our survival on the line we can push through whatever we gotta push through, right or wrong.  But democracy depends on sensibility and compromise to be optimised. Haven't seen that in a while now.

On 10/19/2018 at 3:55 PM, PeterMP said:

I don't think the odd sleepover here and there is going to fundamentally change the shape of a child.

On 10/19/2018 at 8:05 PM, Renegade7 said:

Jefferson wanted a revolution every 20 years.  He thought that people really needed to fight for their freedom.

On 10/19/2018 at 5:53 PM, Springfield said:

Once you hit 25, you better work the **** out or watch what the **** you eat or you’re gonna be a fatty.

My early 30s I was eating well, working out 4-5x a week. I was a sexy 225-230. I'm now 42, eat like ****, work our 4-5x a year, and am a sexy as **** 275.

This is fact.

Archived