Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Pathetic crowds at home opener

skins2victory

I'm starting to accept and support the idea of not attending any professional sporting event. The fans get ripped off and the players are overpaid. The owners don't care about anything other than making money. You can easily enjoy watching the game more from the comfort of your own home while saving hundreds of dollars as well as time.

If the team was competitive and fun to watch then that would be the only reason I'd want to go. Sporting events are fun to attend there is no doubt about that. The energy is great (sometimes). It's all about what you get in return. At this present time there is no way I would spend $200+ to go see the Skins play.

10 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

If the team was competitive and fun to watch then that would be the only reason I'd want to go. Sporting events are fun to attend there is no doubt about that. The energy is great (sometimes). It's all about what you get in return. At this present time there is no way I would spend $200+ to go see the Skins play.

I hear you. Perhaps the secondary market prices this season is part of it. Perhaps the way the Cousins thing wound up is part of it. And perhaps fans maybe deciding that they are going to spend their entertainment dollars more on the Caps is another part.

But in defense of the OP.....whatever happened to "hope springs eternal?" Yes, the    Skins performance over the past 25 years speaks for itself, but shouldn't the fans go into each new season with some optimism and the hope that maybe this year we'll be pleasantly surprised? Instead, we are at a mindset where we've started to give up before these seasons even begin.

I hate to think of what the turnout would've been if we had lost to the Cardinals!

10 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

I hear you. Perhaps the secondary market prices this season is part of it. Perhaps the way the Cousins thing wound up is part of it. And perhaps fans maybe deciding that they are going to spend their entertainment dollars more on the Caps is another part.

But in defense of the OP.....whatever happened to "hope springs eternal?" Yes, the    Skins performance over the past 25 years speaks for itself, but shouldn't the fans go into each new season with some optimism and the hope that maybe this year we'll be pleasantly surprised? Instead, we are at a mindset where we've started to give up before these seasons even begin.

I hate to think of what the turnout would've been if we had lost to the Cardinals!

I disagree entirely.  I feel great about the fan attendance this past Sunday.  No bigger FU to Snyder, and the FO by displaying how you feel about this team.  I watched as they destroyed the Cardinals a week ago, but I knew that the bottom would eventually drop out with this team (it always does).  What Swearinger said about the Colts game after it concluded pretty much summed up what the Redskins are, and have been for the past 25 years:  Complacent.

How in the hell are these group of guys complacent before game 2 of 16 game season?  This team wins 1 game, or a few games in a row, and all of a sudden they're ready to throw a parade, or give out stupid nicknames for doing their job.  Hogs 2.0?  Don't make me laugh.  That performance by Hogs 2.0 would never of happened with the REAL Hogs.

This team can't handle success.  It starts from the front office, and on down.  As long as they keep operating like everything is fine, then fans will see right through it, and not pay one dollar to step foot at Fed-Ex Field.  Why would you waste a perfectly good Sunday going to a crappy stadium, paying obscene amounts of money for food, parking and concessions to watch a crappy product perform crappy?  It's real simple, win or shut the **** up.  No more excuses.  No one wants to hear about any nicknames, or about how we're going to do this or that.  Win, or nothing matters.  The only thing that will get people to the stadium is if the product is worth going to.  It hasn't been for 20 years, and they better shape up now, before they're getting L.A. Chargers like attendance or worse.

10 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

I live in northern California and I'd rather go pay for a 9ers game getting updates on the skins game from my phone than go see the Skins for free. FedEx looks like a miserable time from an outsiders perspective. 

Meh.....FedEx is OK. There is room for improvement to be sure (parking can be less of a s-show when it comes to arriving, IMO) and Snyder has messed some things up (installing the dream seats), but at its core, a venue to watch a football game, it isn't bad. I think a lot of complaints one hears about traffic, etc are overblown.

This thread reminds me of 2012, week 17, Dallas Cowboys at Washington Redskins.

Do or die, winner takes all, sunday night.

The stadium was loud and crazy, even the commenters talked about the noise a bit.

But even then there were still quite a few Cowboy fans, hoping, to no avail.

Winning does things to people; they want to be associated with a winner. It gives them a sense of being part of it.

Believe it or not, long before Brady, New England Patriots managed to put about 37 people in the stands because they blew dog.

Winning brings fans closer, more energized, happy, euphoric, which in turn brings more sales of beer, food, snacks, team apparel, souvenirs, caps, and other Redskin - related items. Management just have no way of understanding how this works, because of the people they put in charge and the players they let go.

I said it earlier, of all teams, the Cleveland Browns are up-and-coming, and are building a real organization, piece by piece. Its HOW they're doing it that Mr.Snyder really needs to pay attention to. If he did, this team would look a lot different.

6 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

Meh.....FedEx is OK. There is room for improvement to be sure (parking can be less of a s-show when it comes to arriving, IMO) and Snyder has messed some things up (installing the dream seats), but at its core, a venue to watch a football game, it isn't bad. I think a lot of complaints one hears about traffic, etc are overblown.

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/list/nfl-stadiums-ranking-best-worst-cowboys-raiders-packers/dky07jdst5w1mcy7cgsm7q6s/slide/1

https://athlonsports.com/nfl/ranking-all-31-nfl-stadiums-worst-best

https://moneywise.com/a/worst-stadiums-in-the-nfl

I think you should have said it this way  "OK .....FedEx is Meh."

;)

:229:The Rook

5 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

They've priced out the average fan.  I can see new stadiums being more expensive to attend,  but why are we at or near the top of most expensive gameday experiences?  If you ever have been in a corporate suite for a game,  you know whose game day experience is to priority to this front office.   

Then you have to allocate the majority of your day to going.   I don't blame anyone that would forgo that experience,  before you factor in how poorly they have performed there. 

1 hour ago, hail2skins said:

Which kind of goes back to your post......if you claim tons of Skins fans get into Seattle and Arizona when they play there, what does that say about those fanbases?I think the Skins fanbase in DC is average in that regard...….probably not as diehard, as, say, Philly, and certainly not the hardcore base Redskins fans have historically claimed we've been.  

Your final words there are some many don't want to hear, but they are true. Redskins fans just aren't quite as die hard as Philly, or Buffalo, or even Dallas to be honest. I do think we have wide-ranging and spread out fanbase-- always surprised/impressed to see how we roll out in various places across the country. I also do NOT blame local fans for not going and I do not think it means you suck as a fan. I understand the reasons for the empties and the apathy and I think they are legit. But there is also truth to the fact that Redskins fans just aren't RABID as a whole or locally as many other places. And I mean this even back in the good days... I've told the story many times of my one and only trip to RFK... total letdown, so much more hype than reality. It was 1994 and we stunk, but just three years removed from a Super Bowl-- and the stadium was drab, fans disinterested, and it emptied fast well before the game was over. In other words, as soon as the team started downhill a whole lot of the fever was gone as well. Now, I don't think it would be fair to say it's purely a "fair weather" base either-- the fans have mostly stuck it out pretty good. But losing virtually an entire generation of new fans has taken it's toll. 

Here's a big difference... the Bills stink.... and if you are in your mid 20s to early 30s and especially if you are younger than that... you've never seen a good Bills team (or you were a toddler). But if you are from your area, the Bills are still representative and therefore I think the Bills fandom is continuing to get passed down. It's much more of a culture in a place like Buffalo. DC is such a different kind of place... you have another NFL team 40 minutes away... and several others a short train ride away. The Redskins actually only physically represent a very small area of the district. So if you are born in NOVA or MD I don't think there is any sort of pre-disposition to adopt the Skins. Lots of choices, so why choose the lousy one? 

6 minutes ago, megared said:

They've priced out the average fan.  I can see new stadiums being more expensive to attend,  but why are we at or near the top of most expensive gameday experiences?  If you ever have been in a corporate suite for a game,  you know whose game day experience is to priority to this front office.   

Then you have to allocate the majority of your day to going.   I don't blame anyone that would forgo that experience,  before you factor in how poorly they have performed there. 

First, I think the stadium rankings The Rook posted tend to have very little substance. I won't claim that FedEx is a pretty stadium on the outside and I wish it was in the city closer to a Metro stop, but I'm not going to take seriously a ranking that quotes a random dude on Yelp.

I also think that those surveys on how much the gameday experience tend to have dated and inconsistent information. Having said that, I do hate that people are charged $50 to park, and wish that the Skins would follow the lead of the Falcons and Ravens and lower concession prices, not just for STH.

As far as time investment, that is to be expected. But this was my day Sunday: left Woodbridge at 915, picked my mom up at Union Station at 945, grabbed a meal in the city, at the stadium by 1145, left at the gun, dropped her at New Carrollton by 430, and was back in Woodbridge by 530. I didn't consider that to be onerous.

14 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

As far as time investment, that is to be expected. But this was my day Sunday: left Woodbridge at 915, picked my mom up at Union Station at 945, grabbed a meal in the city, at the stadium by 1145, left at the gun, dropped her at New Carrollton by 430, and was back in Woodbridge by 530. I didn't consider that to be onerous.

You should go experience other stadiums.   I've been in and out,  in a little over 4 hours,  free parking within walking distance (less than 1/2 mile),  bar hopping on the way to the stadium (Superdome).  It puts FedEx to shame.  Once you experience other stadiums where the overlying goal isn't to lighten your wallet in every way possible,  it makes it difficult to excuse what we have in Landover.   Worst part about it, is Snyder could build a stadium with a great location and he'd still let his greed **** up the experience for everyone.   

2 hours ago, skins2victory said:

Lots of excesses. For me its either be a fan or don't. Don't claim to be a fan and represent Redskins Nation poorly. If you have an account on Extremeskins, then you probably claim to be a die hard. So these lame excuses are coming from our die hard fans? Very sad. Scared of a little rain? Oh wait it didn't rain. Don't want to pay? That's cute, games aren't free. A true fan represents win, lose, or draw. Remember that pathetic turn out was when we were 1-0. Yeah that game really sucked to loose. But the very next day I bought my tickets to the Thanksgiving game in Dallas. Again that stadium turn out was embarrassing. The local "FANS" need to be better fans. HTTR

50 year home sellout streak finally ends and your calling out local fans for one game?  You lost your mind?

1 hour ago, skins island connection said:

This thread reminds me of 2012, week 17, Dallas Cowboys at Washington Redskins.

Do or die, winner takes all, sunday night.

If ever there was a game to show up for it was that one.  The fans did and the team did.  What's said is how rare that situation or result is with this team lately.

And for the record, Fedex has three rings, bottom two were full, its the top one everyone is spreading pictures of on the Internet.  

15 minutes ago, megared said:

You should go experience other stadiums.   I've been in and out,  in a little over 4 hours,  free parking within walking distance (less than 1/2 mile),  bar hopping on the way to the stadium (Superdome).  It puts FedEx to shame.  Once you experience other stadiums where the overlying goal isn't to lighten your wallet in every way possible,  it makes it difficult to excuse what we have in Landover.   Worst part about it, is Snyder could build a stadium with a great location and he'd still let his greed **** up the experience for everyone.   

That’s just not a fair assessment. I’ve been to FedEx and I’ve been to the Superdome. The time and $$ investment difference is ALL about location which can’t be blamed on Snyder. Yes NOLA was great because we could walk from our hotel and there are a billion places to eat, drink, and sights to see in between. It’s a cool and fun atmosphere. But unless Dan builds an entire city to surround FedEx he can’t replicate it. And you think parking is bad at FedEx in terms of price? Dallas is way worse and when I parked at the Meadowlands that was a costly deal as well. 

I agree that there is very little attractive about a concrete bowl in the middle of nowhere... there is absolutely nothing cool or interesting around FedEx and it’s a pain to get in and out of...but that is all a flaw from the initial design. I am not a local fan... I’ve been to FedEx a handful of times and many other stadiums across the league. I agree the convenience factor at FedEx is WAY below other places... as is the aesthetics. But the “experience” once you arrive at the lot? I think that is really overblown. I think concessions are a waste and a rip off just about everywhere so I only partake minimally anyway. I don’t find anything particularly offensive about FedEx once you actually get in there. At least not when it comes to stuff that can be controlled. 

9 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

50 year home sellout streak finally ends and your calling out local fans for one game?  You lost your mind?

And for the record, Fedex has three rings, bottom two were full, its the top one everyone isn't reading pictures if on the Internet.  

This stadium has not really been sold out in some time. If it has, it has been courtesy of close to 20K seats being ripped out and a bunch of no-shows.

Two of the three "rings" were full? What are you talking about? Yes. the LL sidelines were full, but the LL end zones had a lot of vacancies. Club level was 50 pct full, and the upper level had a lot of empties.

15 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

This stadium has not really been sold out in some time. If it has, it has been courtesy of close to 20K seats being ripped out and a bunch of no-shows.

Two of the three "rings" were full? What are you talking about? Yes. the LL sidelines were full, but the LL end zones had a lot of vacancies. Club level was 50 pct full, and the upper level had a lot of empties.

I'm not even sure what your definition of sold out is if you're moving the goal post with removing seats.  i mean, what are you talking about?  Highest capacity Fedex had was 91,000, its at 82,000 now. 

I could care less about club level, one Endzone I noticed less, but if there's anything that concerns me, its that upper level missing that many people.  That says that the die hards that are will to spend that kinda money and you are calling out DID show up, and the people that are picking between watching that abomination in person or dealing some of the highest cost of living in the country stayed home.  you should be calling out the people on the fence, the people that did show up are your die hards even though we haven't had much of anything to die hard about in 27 years.  What did you expect to happen with the elongated amount of suckatude in a stadium like that?

You are looking at this the wrong way, that wasn't a sign our fan base is becoming fairweather, it was a message that if Snyder wants that stadium full, he needs to putting a winning team on the field. When he does, we show up, this problem is not uncommon among the other franchises.  Jesus, do we want to get into what Foxbourgh was like before Parcells showed up?  Now look at them, that's what winning does, that's normal. It's not the 80s anymore, people talking about setting up a protest or boycott, I don't blame them at this point, and you shouldn't either.

Telling me I need to show up and cheer no matter what or I can stop being a fan?  you might as well tell me i need to stand for the flag or get out the country.  Get off your high horse about what a local fan should do and you aren't a a local fan.  half the home games i've been to have been loses. 

Archived