Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thoughts: Redskins vs. Cardinals

KDawg

One of my biggest pet peeves on defense is when they celebrate after making a play on first or second down and then giving up a first on third and long. 

It just chaps my ass. 

Having said that I absolutely loved the new celebration of holding their fists in the air as a team to signify fourth down. 

7 hours ago, Jumbo said:

all this reflective thinking is going to get in the way of classic es analysis---just a heads-up

:P

nice op---pretty much see the same stuff---i liked almost everything yesterday but hope we get to add wr's to the mix soon ^_^

loved the attitude on the d

been a long time since i've seen such strong play on both lines for the team throughout a game...used to be a staple many years ago

Image result for something about mary gif

LOL....there is something about Mary still 

We gotta flip the script and love what happened, I think Win or Lose it is nice to see a positive take on what the players are doing individually. I think Alex Smith really gave the Skins the best QB play WE have seen in years, his decision making was a determining factor. Now you can say it was the playcalling or the fact that the run actually worked, but Smith didn't choke, He made great decisions at the LOS most plays. I didn't like the blitz recognition a few plays, but really I think He made some adjustments and that confidence is going to be infectious.  

And of course it starts with blocking. 

I feel like our offensive line dominated the game.  Seemed like every run the Cardinals were getting pushed back.  Alex Smith is obviously a composed and accurate QB.  Very efficient.  And it is obvious Peterson has something left in the tank.  He was running with lots of vigor.

Our defense looked great, I wonder how much of that was a mediocre Cardinals' offense but you can't undervalue their effort.

47 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

I feel like our offensive line dominated the game.  Seemed like every run the Cardinals were getting pushed back.  Alex Smith is obviously a composed and accurate QB.  Very efficient.  And it is obvious Peterson has something left in the tank.  He was running with lots of vigor.

Our defense looked great, I wonder how much of that was a mediocre Cardinals' offense but you can't undervalue their effort.

I think our beast DL owned the AZ run game, once Brown was hitting the right gaps. I expected the AZ pass protection to be worse, but Sam was getting the ball out quickly on most snaps.

There were only a few really bad snaps for our OL, but oh man, were they ever bad. Just fortunate that they didn't result in too costly a result. 

4 minutes ago, skinsfan35yrs. said:

will some please tell me what happened to the offense in the second half? What i saw was a tale of two halves Heck it was the cards penalties that helped us move the ball 

Perspective on the 2nd Half woes

2nd half possessions

- 1st drive opens inside the 10 at the 8yd line !!!!

holding call pushes them back inside the 5

Scherff and Roullier let inside pressure instantly through. (the safety not a safety play) on 3rd and 14.

- 2nd drive opens inside the 10 at the 8 yd line !!!! again !!!!

they run 6:46 off the clock with this drive as they completely reverse the field position !!!! 

Drive fails as yet another 10 yard penalty buries them into 3rd and very long. 

- 3rd drive opens at the 24 yd line

they run another 4:42 off the clock on this FG drive into the 4th quarter !!!

Our Defense did give up a score, but also made them use 6:26 minutes of the 4th to accomplish this !!!!

The remaining offense possessions were in that 5 minutes left of the game window.

The total philosophy here was kill clock, make em burn timeouts, play it safe, go home with a WIN. 

Not to change the topic, and I really want to de-rail this into a Cousins vs. Smith debate... BUT:

I honestly think Cousins fits Minnesota better than he fit Washington.

I think Smith fits Washington much better than Cousins did. 

I really think this may be one of those situations where everyone wins.

I agree with everything said so far, but not to be a wet blanket, but ARZ has all the makings of a 4-6 win team.  Indy coming up at least has Luck, but they dont look formidable either.

We took advantage of a team worse than us, which is always good, but I almost feel like the season doesnt start in terms of evaluating what we have until the Packers game.  

7 minutes ago, justice98 said:

I agree with everything said so far, but not to be a wet blanket, but ARZ has all the makings of a 4-6 win team.  Indy coming up at least has Luck, but they dont look formidable either.

We took advantage of a team worse than us, which is always good, but I almost feel like the season doesnt start in terms of evaluating what we have until the Packers game.  

No one is saying otherwise, though.

But it's clear this is a good football team. How good? Who knows. Could be 7-9, 8-8 good. Meaning we had the ability just didn't get it done. Skins teams  in the recent past don't do what this team did Sunday.

2 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Well, very wet, it is. 

AZ may not have their offense all together, but the defense is very solid, and we know David Johnson's for real. The concern for us was always two-part. Can we improve our offensive run game? and can we stop the opponent's run game?

Against that AZ defense, we did very well. Against the excellent AZ running back, we again did that very well. 

Aaron Rodgers may be all that, but I'd bet his OL is on par with AZ and his defense is significantly inferior to AZ's. The point I'm trying to make here is that this week 1 was a genuine test of the 2 areas of most concern. We aced that ****. You want to be all worried or fearful about GB, hey, that's your right. Me, I ain't scurred. ? 

1 hour ago, justice98 said:

I think Luck is over rated, and that the Cards have more talent in more places than the Colts.  Cards are a better team, and I think this upcoming week will be one of the easier match ups we have all year.

Im just going to fire off some random thoughts

So happy to have AP here. Hope he can keep it going all season.

Dunbar was playing lights out

Our D Line looks beastly this year

The lack of Wide Receiver involvement bothers me but then again i think of what Clinton Portis said post game. CP was like, As long as the Redskins don't get try to get fancy on offense and just do what they did today they are going to win alot of games. I'll go with the Pro's advice.

Alex Smith looks like a smarter QB than Cousins but also way more conservative, How many of those scrambles would have had Cousins trying to make the tough throw verse Alex running for 5 or 6 yards?

Are the Cards that bad this year or are we vastly improved?

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

No one is saying otherwise, though.

But it's clear this is a good football team. How good? Who knows. Could be 7-9, 8-8 good. Meaning we had the ability just didn't get it done. Skins teams  in the recent past don't do what this team did Sunday.

That's not actually good.  lol

They took Oakland apart last year early in the season.  Why are we acting like we haven't seen this movie before?  

8 minutes ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

Im just going to fire off some random thoughts

The lack of Wide Receiver involvement bothers me but then again i think of what Clinton Portis said post game. CP was like, As long as the Redskins don't get try to get fancy on offense and just do what they did today they are going to win alot of games. I'll go with the Pro's advice.

Alex Smith looks like a smarter QB than Cousins but also way more conservative, How many of those scrambles would have had Cousins trying to make the tough throw verse Alex running for 5 or 6 yards?

Are the Cards that bad this year or are we vastly improved?

Much improved, thanks mainly to the health of many impact players. 

In a game like that, there's just no good reason to start chucking the ball all over. The only reason a QB would do that is for his own glorified stats. Just no good reason to give the deflated opponent a spark by chucking an INT. 

11 minutes ago, justice98 said:

They took Oakland apart last year early in the season.  Why are we acting like we haven't seen this movie before?  

If you know how it plays out, then maybe find yourself better things to do, and let the rest of us enjoy. ☂️

2 minutes ago, Sandy Monk said:

Much improved, thanks mainly to the health of many impact players. 

In a game like that, there's just no good reason to start chucking the ball all over. The only reason a QB would do that is for his own glorified stats. Just no good reason to give the deflated opponent a spark by chucking an INT. 

If you know how it plays out, then maybe find yourself better things to do, and let the rest of us enjoy. ☂️

I dont know how it plays out, but I do know that the Cardinals game doesnt tell us a whole lot.  Letting it play out for at least a few weeks before saying how much better we are than last year seems prudent.  

Yes, on paper they SEEM like they should be better.  But that game tells us jack. 

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

Not to change the topic, and I really want to de-rail this into a Cousins vs. Smith debate... BUT:

I honestly think Cousins fits Minnesota better than he fit Washington.

I think Smith fits Washington much better than Cousins did. 

I really think this may be one of those situations where everyone wins.

Vikings fit him because He WANTS to play for that team. Kirk gave up on this team years ago. 

He is better off there. 

The Redskins, OUR Redskins, are better off with Alex. Best of all we have a much better quarterback. 

Couple of debbie downer thoughts:

- Vigil replaced Foster towards the end. Foster seemed in place at times just late, trailing. On a run play early on he did over pursue, went past the hole and allowed the RB to cut it back through the hole and take it up field.

- Outside WRs probably wont see as much action as they did w Cousins. Only 1 game and silly to use that to predict a season long trend but I just think the outside WRs are secondary to this offense. Richardson and Doctson were targeted 9 times total. Crowder was 3 for 4. We didnt have to adjust or come off what was working - running and drop offs in open space - but I am curious to see if we can actually have an outside and down field passing game. 

- Offense does seem different under Smith. Seems play is almost exclusively within 10 yards of the LOS. More conservative but with big play potential if a player gets the ball in open space. Its effective but I do want to see what we do when a defensive takes away the run game and doesnt allow the underneath pass.

- Doctson ... guy just plays invisible. He was out there for 70 of 79 offensive snaps? That cant be right. This game would be unfair to judge him or Richardson since we didnt have to take chances and could play conservative but this has been going on for a while now. He must not get separation.

14 hours ago, redskinss said:

One of my biggest pet peeves on defense is when they celebrate after making a play on first or second down and then giving up a first on third and long. 

It just chaps my ass. 

Having said that I absolutely loved the new celebration of holding their fists in the air as a team to signify fourth down. 

image.thumb.png.d886e2f84cc099bce6d477c9fbe4622b.png

50 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Are you looking at this in terms of face value? Because if it's just face value I'd tend to agree with you. But if you're using context, clock control, game control, situational awareness, conversion rates, risk factor, etc... then I can't.

We did beat the Raiders and looked good doing it. We were healthy. But it wasn't quite the same. This past Sunday the Skins were just in control. From start to finish. There weren't really any lulls. Just straight forward control. In years past I've personally had this feeling that the game could collapse at any time. It just wasn't there. The Skins were truly dominant. 

I don't think Arizona is going to be great, so the win and dominance has to be taken in context. But the way the team plays has an assertive feel to it, which is a significant change to burst plays.

A couple points:

Doctson was shadowed by Patrick Peterson for most of the game. So no shame in his disappearance, Peterson is a stud. 

Saw Jordan Reed with my own eyes block Chandler Jones very well on a successful run play. Good to see.

Belief is a powerful thing. This has been brewing over the last few years. Gruden has something cooking. I like our chances this year.

Archived