Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The ES Tennis Thread

skinsmarydu

We're in the US Open 2018. 

Naomi Osaka will battle Serena Williams tomorrow in the women's final. 

Right now,  Juan Martin del Potro is playing Rafael Nadal in the first semi final, leading by one set and one game in the 2nd.

The second semi final will be Kei Nishikori v. Novak Djokovic after this match. 

Get your bounce on, and love the players & the game. ?

I think it's about as heartbreaking a trophy ceremony as I've ever seen.  Where the winner can't even celebrate and apologizes for winning. 

Heartbreaking.  Should be the best moment of her life and it seemed like she wanted to be just about anywhere else. 

After completely losing her cool during the match, kudos to Serena for trying to get the crowd to cheer for Naomi. 

I'm not a Serena fan, never have been.  Always preferred Venus.  And the display on court is really why.  But at least she regrouped at the end.

Sigh.  I hope Osaka gets another one of these and can really celebrate...

1 hour ago, zoony said:

My son is in his second year, hes playing number 3 this year as a 7th grader.  I hope he sticks with it, its kind of got me back into playing.  Heck of a lot of fun

I’d like to get back into playing tennis myself. My kids aren’t quite old enough to play yet.  I’ve been wondering if there are any rec leagues local to me.  There have to be, I’d think.

• Like 1

I watch a whole lot of tennis, and I'd never seen anything like it. Chair umpire got a little over his skis, but Serena needed to keep it in check. 

As others have said, it should have been Osaka's great moment, but there's a cloud over it. That sucks. 

On to Del Potro/Djokovic at 4pm...the "back" button on my remote will get a workout today! (Hail!)

12 hours ago, Springfield said:

I’d like to get back into playing tennis myself. My kids aren’t quite old enough to play yet.  I’ve been wondering if there are any rec leagues local to me.  There have to be, I’d think.

Dude play pickle ball.  It's almost like tennis and doesn't hurt as much on your joints. There are tons of pickleball leagues in this area. 

1 hour ago, skinfan2k said:

Dude play pickle ball.  It's almost like tennis and doesn't hurt as much on your joints. There are tons of pickleball leagues in this area. 

I actually heard of pickle ball for the first time yesterday as I was reading my community’s newspaper.  They are considering installing 2 pickle ball courts.

I have no idea what this even is.

1 hour ago, skinsmarydu said:

I watch a whole lot of tennis, and I'd never seen anything like it. Chair umpire got a little over his skis, but Serena needed to keep it in check. 

As others have said, it should have been Osaka's great moment, but there's a cloud over it. That sucks. 

On to Del Potro/Djokovic at 4pm...the "back" button on my remote will get a workout today! (Hail!)

DelPo is a 2/1 underdog!

Serena Williams threw a tantrum because she was losing as simple as that.    Having said that, Naomi Osaka looks to me like a young Serena.  Even her serve reminds me of Serena.  She may have an even better forehand.

I am looking at the younger generation of players.  Naomi is one player who is going to be one of the better young players.  The other one I am looking at is Aryna Sabalenka, who, yes, played against Naomi Osaka in, I believe, the 4th round in the US open.  That was the only match where Osaka struggled some.  It went 3 sets.  You look at all her other matches, she owned the competition(including Serena).  Sabalenka is also just 20 years old.  She is in fact younger than Osaka.

4 minutes ago, Corcaigh said:

I would have expected better of Serena. You don't call the umpire a "thief".

As for the accusation of sexism for getting a warning or penalty for racket smashing ... what has happened to dudes at the US Open? 

A couple points have been assessed, but the "coaching" call shouldn't have been made...that's what started the spiral. 

2 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

You gotta be kidding me...I mean, Novak is the great returner, but I don't expect him to beat Juan. 

No way. 

This is going to be a tough match.  Del Potro is IMO just a notch below the big three when healthy.  The trouble is he has had injury issues.  I like his playstyle a lot.  Big serve and a big forehand.

• Like 1