Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Washington Post: Redskins Have Built A Less Glitzy Roster

samy316

2 hours ago, SWFLSkins said:

Having lived in SWFL for over 30 years as a Skins fan, I have heard many times about how the Fins were on the verge.... but I have not seen so much negativity heading into a season in those years as there is right now....Just remember it's darkest before the dawn. 

i spy a john beck

s-l500.jpg

(past and present of redskins greatness)

also for anyone interested you can bid on a game worn beck jersey for roughly 300$ 

https://m.ebay.ie/itm/John-Beck-12-Game-used-worn-Jersey-Washington-Redskins-NFL-COA-Skins-vs-49ers/183413389138?hash=item2ab44a3752:g:8D8AAOSwf-VWW1vX

3 hours ago, SWFLSkins said:

Having lived in SWFL for over 30 years as a Skins fan, I have heard many times about how the Fins were on the verge.... but I have not seen so much negativity heading into a season in those years as there is right now....Just remember it's darkest before the dawn. 

Its like they are in almost exact order of Best to worst. Not like as a Redskins fan i have any right to talk but geez, thats brutal

18 hours ago, Tarpon75 said:

Payne,Allen,? I guess Scherf is going into his fourth season but could be an All-Pro soon.I know a lot of people are down on Doctson but I haven’t given up yet.Guy has all the tools if he can put it together.

This is ironically why I have a newfound hope...

Look at the Eagles team that just won the Super Bowl...they had a bunch of great linemen and some skill guys no one really worried about (Foles, Blount, Jeffrey, Agholor). It's also similar to our glory years when we had studs up front and plugged and played at QB and RB. 

I think the model to succeed is drafting and building the big uglies. So I don't care if we don't have a top-30 jersey guy. We've had our phases of Deions, Lavars, RGIIIs, and CPs. Those didn't lead to many deep runs did they?

@TD_washingtonredskins Exactly. Build the lines and suddenly we are boring? Approaching Vinny levels of bad? This is a concept I simply will never understand. What did all of our playoff runs or "successful" seasons have in common? All of them were fueled by unlikely winning streaks on the backs of emotion and/or just getting hot at the right time. There was nothing sustainable at all about those seasons in hindsight, because we actually weren't that great in the first place. 2005 might be the exception.

Griffin was the final straw. Glitz clearly didn't work here and once our self-anointed STAR QB wasn't enough, it was clearly time to go a different direction. It was time to build something sustainable. That's where we are trending in my opinion, for the first time in Dan's ownership. Still, as the years go by, the impatience grows. Which is what you see today.

But make no mistake, we turn in 11 wins this year there will be articles upon articles about how Dan stayed patient and it finally worked, we built the lines, we are set up to be good for a longer period of time, etc. Smith Jerseys will be everywhere. Allen and Payne will be touted as the next big thing. All hypothetical, but winning brings the glamour. Not the other way around.

I truly think we shock some people this year. I really do. And I really hope we do so that I can stop reading about how we've over corrected and are too boring now. They are finally building the way that lends itself to not crashing and burning after a miracle mirage of a run.

8 minutes ago, HardcoreZorn said:

I truly think we shock some people this year. I really do. And I really hope we do so that I can stop reading about how we've over corrected and are too boring now. They are finally building the way that lends itself to not crashing and burning after a miracle mirage of a run.

I don't know if I am as confident in you that we take that next step. But I am 100% down with this direction. I want to continue down this road with Gruden and Smith for another 2-3 years...continue to draft and develop defense and OL and let the chips fall where they may. If nothing significant has changed results-wise by 2020/21 (when Smith will be done), then fine...start all over. 

26 minutes ago, HardcoreZorn said:

self-anointed STAR QB

I hope by self here you are referring to us and not Griffin. 

28 minutes ago, HardcoreZorn said:

winning brings the glamour. Not the other way around.

Absolutely true, and the Rams will be an interesting case study this year to see if adding the Glitz to newfound Glamour can work. 

19 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

But I am 100% down with this direction. I want to continue down this road with Gruden and Smith for another 2-3 years

Absolutely agree here, and my biggest fear (bigger than not contending this year or Smith reverting back to his old ways or whatever else) is that we don’t let this play out and blow it up instead. It seems like so many posters here would rather see us take dynamite to the entire roster/staff than wait two years to compete (as if a full rebuild wouldn’t take 4-5 years at the least).

I agree with Zorn’s posts about sustainability, and this is the first Redskins team i’ve ever seen that’s strengths lie completely in the trenches on both sides of the ball. The inexperience still worries me for this year, and it’s why I think even 9 wins might be a stretch, but I do believe this could be the start of something special. 

For the record, even if we somehow are horrible this year and have a top 5 pick I don’t think we should automatically draft a QB again. 

23 hours ago, RFK Lives said:

All my current jerseys are unwearable, throwback RGIII with stitching ($300), Orakpo...gone...could wear my Cooley jersey I suppose.  My friend went the old route and got a Ken Houston, thought that was cool, don't see many if any of those.  I might go throwback and get 33 on it, can't change history.  In this day and age of free agency, they really need to make a jersey where the name plate can be pulled off and replaced, only have to order the name plate to make the jersey viable again.

I have a 33 BAUGH counterfeit jersey with the long sleeves. 

4 minutes ago, It'sCampbellJasonCampbell said:

Absolutely agree here, and my biggest fear (bigger than not contending this year or Smith reverting back to his old ways or whatever else) is that we don’t let this play out and blow it up instead. It seems like so many posters here would rather see us take dynamite to the entire roster/staff than wait two years to compete (as if a full rebuild wouldn’t take 4-5 years at the least).

I agree with Zorn’s posts about sustainability, and this is the first Redskins team i’ve ever seen that’s strengths lie completely in the trenches on both sides of the ball. The inexperience still worries me for this year, and it’s why I think even 9 wins might be a stretch, but I do believe this could be the start of something special. 

For the record, even if we somehow are horrible this year and have a top 5 pick I don’t think we should automatically draft a QB again. 

I think that you can look at this as a 2-3 year window based more on the roster than the coach's contract....

Smith, Williams, and Kerrigan are all probably either done or in regression after 2020-21. Those are arguably our leaders on each side of the ball (not necessarily our best players). I think you use that and just keep plowing ahead unless something very oddly unique happens that makes a change in direction unavoidable. 

9 hours ago, Mr. S said:

Out of curiosity for you and those who buy current player jerseys in general, why?  Even if Guice or Allen tear it up it's no guarantee they will be here 4 seasons from now.  Wouldn't it be better to purchase legacy player jerseys?  

You are right. I don't live in the US and my last 2 visits to DC, I only managed to find current players jerseys in the shops that I came across, unfortunately no legacy player jerseys ala 44. That would be my dream jersey.

Last jersey I bought was a Sean Taylor jersey. 

Even when the Skins sucked with him on the team. I always had something to look forward to watching. We all know how that ended. So that was it for me as far as jerseys. 

Sad thing is Sean Taylor and RG3s one year is all i remember good about watching this sad ass team. 

I feel like there are “we’re finally building the right way!” Posts and threads on here dating all the way back to 2011. 

I still remember everyone being super excited about that 2011 draft and coming off the heels of taking Trent the year before how things were “different” 

Until they actual put winning seasons together or hell, just win 11-12 games, it’s all hope and unicorns 

7 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Washington Post needs to come into Extremeskins and do some interviews, stop picking people off the street.  You could have this same "I don't know everything" person getting asked questions in any NFL city in America, that was intentional.  Let it go, Goddammit.

I always imagined the author sitting in a starbucks sipping on a coffee between bites of a muffin... oh editor says I need a quote, hey you, are you a Redskins fan?  What players do you know.

Like literally could have been anyone

7 hours ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

I feel like there are “we’re finally building the right way!” Posts and threads on here dating all the way back to 2011. 

I still remember everyone being super excited about that 2011 draft and coming off the heels of taking Trent the year before how things were “different” 

Until they actual put winning seasons together or hell, just win 11-12 games, it’s all hope and unicorns 

See, I don't think that's fair. None of us knows how successful any one player or group of players will be. So, you can pick the wrong guy even while making the right type of pick. So, I was careful above not to say "this is destined to succeed" but rather something closer to "I like the approach and would be willing to give it more time."

To me, it's been obvious for a decade that we began focusing way too much on the skill players and were using the wrong philosophy to build the team. I would much rather have to look up the names of our first and second round picks because they weren't on College Game Day highlights. If the Eagles and Vikings and countless teams before them have showed us anything, good lines cover up a lot of skill position mediocrity. 

So, I won't claim to know if things are "different" when it comes to doing something better than 9-7. But I can very confidently say that I believe we are "building the right way" based on the fact that we are drafting a **** ton of defensive linemen. 

8 hours ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

To be fair, that was different. Following Vinny especially, that 2011 draft felt like a breath of fresh air. 

I see your point, but for me, it's not just how we are going about building the team that's different now. It's the execution. Compare Smith and McCoy versus Beck and Grossman. Our line outside of Trent was Kory Lichtensteiger, Will Montgomery, Chris Chester, and Jamaal Brown. Yeah Lavaou blows, but there were no Scherffs or Moses on the team. Gaffney at WR. Compare a free agent only DL of Cofield, Bowen and Carriker to Matt Ioanidis, Jonathan Allen, and Daron Payne. And I think everybody here can agree they will take the talent of Nicholson over OJ Atogwe. On Sunday we will have 8 guys acquired from FA/Trade that are starters, which should be 7 but I counted Pererson over Guice. In 2011 the number was 15. So double. It's hard to buy in and win a bunch of games in the national football league if 15/22 starters are from other teams. That doesn't foster a great culture. At least not in my opinion. That doesn't even speak to the stark contrast in talent level.

I fully understand there were I'm sure fans back then hyping that roster up, that's natural for fans to want to see things through rose colored glasses. That doesn't mean we can't look back and go "oh wow, what were we thinking" or acknowledging that the talent base is drastically better today than it was back then. I also am fully aware that projection is involved here. The wins haven't come yet, which causes fans to have this "show me" attitude toward the team as the years pass and the impatience rises. Its a process though. It takes a long time to stock up a cupboard that was as bare as it was back then. Don't even get me started on the backups. Anyway, I sense we are beginning to build a talented enough coaching staff and roster that the leap is coming. I think last year was a 10-11 win team that couldn't overcome the unprecedented level of injuries. I would bet the house we don't see that again. 

Just giving a little perspective from somebody who does believe we are now building the right way.

5 hours ago, HardcoreZorn said:

To be fair, that was different. Following Vinny especially, that 2011 draft felt like a breath of fresh air. 

I see your point, but for me, it's not just how we are going about building the team that's different now. It's the execution. Compare Smith and McCoy versus Beck and Grossman. Our line outside of Trent was Kory Lichtensteiger, Will Montgomery, Chris Chester, and Jamaal Brown. Yeah Lavaou blows, but there were no Scherffs or Moses on the team. Gaffney at WR. Compare a free agent only DL of Cofield, Bowen and Carriker to Matt Ioanidis, Jonathan Allen, and Daron Payne. And I think everybody here can agree they will take the talent of Nicholson over OJ Atogwe. On Sunday we will have 8 guys acquired from FA/Trade that are starters, which should be 7 but I counted Pererson over Guice. In 2011 the number was 15. So double. It's hard to buy in and win a bunch of games in the national football league if 15/22 starters are from other teams. That doesn't foster a great culture. At least not in my opinion. That doesn't even speak to the stark contrast in talent level.

I fully understand there were I'm sure fans back then hyping that roster up, that's natural for fans to want to see things through rose colored glasses. That doesn't mean we can't look back and go "oh wow, what were we thinking" or acknowledging that the talent base is drastically better today than it was back then. I also am fully aware that projection is involved here. The wins haven't come yet, which causes fans to have this "show me" attitude toward the team as the years pass and the impatience rises. Its a process though. It takes a long time to stock up a cupboard that was as bare as it was back then. Don't even get me started on the backups. Anyway, I sense we are beginning to build a talented enough coaching staff and roster that the leap is coming. I think last year was a 10-11 win team that couldn't overcome the unprecedented level of injuries. I would bet the house we don't see that again. 

Just giving a little perspective from somebody who does believe we are now building the right way.

5 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

See, I don't think that's fair. None of us knows how successful any one player or group of players will be. So, you can pick the wrong guy even while making the right type of pick. So, I was careful above not to say "this is destined to succeed" but rather something closer to "I like the approach and would be willing to give it more time."

To me, it's been obvious for a decade that we began focusing way too much on the skill players and were using the wrong philosophy to build the team. I would much rather have to look up the names of our first and second round picks because they weren't on College Game Day highlights. If the Eagles and Vikings and countless teams before them have showed us anything, good lines cover up a lot of skill position mediocrity. 

So, I won't claim to know if things are "different" when it comes to doing something better than 9-7. But I can very confidently say that I believe we are "building the right way" based on the fact that we are drafting a **** ton of defensive linemen. 

I got you guys 

I’m usually a “it’s more about the process than the results” guy but my tolerance for this team’s continual futility has jaded me to the point where everything they do irritates me or just sounds like bs. 

You guys are right. I’m just a grump lol 

I was getting to that point with the Caps in the playoffs but eventually, the process paid off 

eventually it will here. Just might take another 10 years 

14 hours ago, MondayNightCowboyKilla89 said:

I have a Lavaranues Coles jersey. I don't have a closet so it hangs by the TV

My old Green jersey keeps me covered real good. Grabbed a Scandrick jersey but it is skimpy and don't cover nothing

On 9/6/2018 at 11:05 AM, It'sCampbellJasonCampbell said:

John Freakin Beck... The only two things I remember about that game were Roy Helu breaking Monk's record for most receptions in a game and Sam Huff being confused as to which team was which while announcing. I remember the 9ers making a good play and poor Sam getting excited about it and praising the Skins... Sonny had to tell him that it was the 49ers that made the play

Archived