Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Washington Post: Redskins Have Built A Less Glitzy Roster

samy316

On 9/7/2018 at 4:34 PM, jbird said:

My old Green jersey keeps me covered real good. Grabbed a Scandrick jersey but it is skimpy and don't cover nothing

I had to hit the road in the 4th quarter of the game yesterday. No lie. I turn on the car, and the Chiefs Game was on. "Announcer is like, "And Rivers throws... TOUCHDOWN!" "Looks like he beat, Fuller, NO THAT WAS SCANDRICK HE BEAT"

I LOL'ed and could not wait to update this exact thread.

On 9/6/2018 at 12:37 PM, Califan007 said:

Come on now...would your view of the team and franchise really be any different right now had the Skins won 11 games in 2012 instead of 10?

The short answer no. 

But my view of the team next year will be. 

Backing into the playoffs with ten wins as opposed to coasting in with 11 makes a big difference in perception. 

Just look at the rams,  everybody is uber confident about their future right now after one 11 win season. 

Had they won their last two games to squeak in with ten wins it'd just feel different. 

I do admit its more of a perception thing than anything but we so badly need a team that is say 8 and 3 and finishes 11 and 5 with no real threat of missing the playoffs. 

We haven't had that type of season in 27 years and that is what we desperately need to get this fanbase off the cliff. 

12 minutes ago, redskinss said:

The short answer no. 

But my view of the team next year will be. 

Backing into the playoffs with ten wins as opposed to coasting in with 11 makes a big difference in perception. 

I'm not sure anyone has ever "backed into the playoffs" with a 10-win season...those are really hard to come by. But even if they did, the difference between "backing in" and "coasting' is never one game.

My main point, though, is it won't matter one way or the other if the Skins backed in with 10 wins or coasted in with 11 if the team doesn't start winning consistently, season after season. The 11-win barometer is little more than a device used by fans to show their displeasure at the long absence of any real success. If the best record the Skins had over the last 25+ years was 9-7, people would be using 10 wins as the measuring stick instead. "We haven't had a 10-win/double digit win season in over 25 years"...

I feel differently about this team than most.  I'm no homer, but last year I legitimately got excited about the team for the first time since 2012 and I thought, with the exception of the Kirk Cousins fiasco, the team did a good job in the draft and FA this past spring.  We've finally built up strong lines.

The front office is an embarrassment no doubt.   Between Allen's botched negotiation with Cousins and the Cheerleading debacle, it's hard to support them.  But whoever is picking the players is doing a good job.  I like the players we've got.  And I like Jay and the position coaches.  I can root for them and pretend like the FO doesn't exist.

On 9/7/2018 at 2:05 AM, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

I feel like there are “we’re finally building the right way!” Posts and threads on here dating all the way back to 2011. 

I still remember everyone being super excited about that 2011 draft and coming off the heels of taking Trent the year before how things were “different” 

Until they actual put winning seasons together or hell, just win 11-12 games, it’s all hope and unicorns 

I don't know man, Allen was the first round 1 defensive lineman we'd taken in a million years.  Then we followed it up by loading up on the position so that now we've got four very talented DLs on rookie deals.  This is something different.  We loaded up on OLBs too, all with early picks, and three out of four of them have stuck so far.  Focusing your best teambuilding assets on the defensive front is a good way to do it.

Trent was a phenomenal pick (and one I was a bit skeptical about at the time) but he wasn't really something different.  This team has a legacy at LT and Trent was us coming in from the cold at the position three years after Samuels hung it up.  It was us making things normal again.  But drafting Scherff so high was definitely new.  And it established an identity for the team.  Blue chip line play.  Smashmouth offense.  We haven't had an identity since RGIII hurt his knee.

On 9/5/2018 at 8:06 PM, bowhunter said:

Trent Williams is a great example of a core skin that we drafted, developed, and will probably retire a Redskin. Apparently a GREAT LT isn't a very glamorous jersey to have, but perhaps his should be my next jersey. He's already proven anything that needs proving.

Yeah he's been our best player for a minute, and he's truly great and tremendously valuable.  But OTs don't sell jerseys.

3 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Without a star QB playoff appearances, not surprised were outside looking in in jersey sales.  But I'd you build it, they will come, watch.

I just looked at the list of top 30 jerseys.  It's like ten different Steelers players.  Handful of Cowboys players, and then the Patriots have like two guys.  Eagles won the SB and their only guy on the list was Wentz (granted, he was #1).  I'm not convinced we should care about having players who sell jerseys.

8 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I just looked at the list of top 30 jerseys.  It's like ten different Steelers players.  Handful of Cowboys players, and then the Patriots have like two guys.  Eagles won the SB and their only guy on the list was Wentz (granted, he was #1).  I'm not convinced we should care about having players who sell jerseys.

Me either.  I know too many fans that dont have any and more die hard then ones that hide their **** in the closest on Mondays.

53 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I feel differently about this team than most.  I'm no homer, but last year I legitimately got excited about the team for the first time since 2012 and I thought, with the exception of the Kirk Cousins fiasco, the team did a good job in the draft and FA this past spring.  We've finally built up strong lines.

The front office is an embarrassment no doubt.   Between Allen's botched negotiation with Cousins and the Cheerleading debacle, it's hard to support them.  But whoever is picking the players is doing a good job.  I like the players we've got.  And I like Jay and the position coaches.  I can root for them and pretend like the FO doesn't exist.

I agree with your first point, and I can't say anything other than I just felt something different last year watching the team. Even Kirk I think reiterated multiple times how close we were. And that was with injuries! But even in games that we lost like the Eagles games, both time I came away thinking we came to play and made it very difficult on Wentz. You could see the start of something really good up front on both sides, but injuries were sustained at a rate that didn't allow for us to play to our potential.

Now, as to your second point. I will never understand how we magically just started drafting better players and building a different style of team. As if there wasn't some change or direction from the FO that has allowed us to see a better/more talented roster and better results on the field. Now, it's far too early to know where we stand after one game against an inferior talent, but Sunday they did exactly as I expected. We simply overwhelmed them up front and have a smart, heady QB. We have talented lines with two of the best line coaches in the league. That's a recipe for success and you saw glimpses of that sunday. I just don't know why it's so difficult for some to give credit where credit is due.

And before somebody chimes in about nuance, and that you can like certain things without liking others, please just don't. Please spare me the time, because I get that. But "the FO is an embarrassment" doesn't exactly capture that sentiment and actually shows a deeper rooted hatred for the higher ups AT THIS POINT IN TIME that I am unable to wrap my head around.

Archived