Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 Comprehensive Draft Thread

Going Commando

7 minutes ago, SkinsRx said:

I read somewhere that Kingsbury was Keenum's position coach in college, so I think Keenum plus a 3rd or 4th for Rosen makes a lot of sense for both teams.  I don't think Rosen would be too happy sitting behind Murray next season being a 1st round pick himself.  By replacing Rosen with Keenum, you get a veteran to help Murray transition to the pros and avoid a possible distraction of having 2 young competitive QBs on the same team.  Kinda like when RG3 and Kirk were drafted in the same year.  And if this was the true intent for trading for Keenum, I gotta give credit because that's probably one of the smarter decisions I've seen this FO make.

That's all over twitter, I've seen it.  But a bunch of people likewise don't think so -- that if Arizona was that into Keenum they'd have just made the trade themselves.  But who knows, will see.   

Forgot who said it maybe it was Keim who checked around and said what they learned is it likely takes a 2nd rounder to make this happen.  One of the Arizona reporters have said the same.  And Arizona won't be desperate to trade him where its to the Redskins or bust -- they should have enough of a market where they should beat a third.  But again who knows, will see.  I'd love it if its for a third albeit I don't love the player but I like him. 

29 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I can see White and Hockenson.  Off to another player I really like from NIU, Sutton Smith EDGE.  Have you watched tape on him?  I think he goes somewhere in the 4th/5th round.  I love the guy.  He has a quick burst.  He caught my eye at the Combine.  

I'll take a look I haven't yet. I started looking at a different speed rush later round prospect, Ben Banogu

11 hours ago, rumplestilskin said:

I would agree that he is not as polished but that could be more to do with his unfortunate injures slowing his development or simply what he was asked to do. It was Julios combine that solidified his draft status much like DK but both were considered day one picks. I don't know I could be wrong but I just envision a guy that will be unstoppable even in the early stages even before he develops completely. At very least until he does we will finally have our red zone guy.  Simply because he is bigger, meaner and faster with excellent hops to go get the contested ball . The routes will come in time but many great players had a predictable and predominantly go route and vertical threat game much like sober Gordon, Moss and Calvin. The general consensus is he is number one if not two in this class so I am not sure he rocketed up draft boards. I think because of his limited game experience he has gained momentum through the combine and confirmed or solidified his draft position. That is a rare blend of size and speed and his game tape shows a man umungst boys.

Metcalf is a guy with ludicrous straight line speed and explosion but he's really stiff and he was awful in two of the most important combine tests for agility and change of direction, both of which are super important for WRs and DBs. He had a 3 cone time of 7.38 and a short shuttle (aka 20 yard shuttle) time of 4.5. Those numbers are bad...like really bad. His 7.38 3 cone puts him right around the bottom 1/3rd of the entire combine class...including OL, QB, DL, etc. His 4.5 shuttle time puts him right around the bottom 1/4th...again, of the entire class. 

Another way to put this into perspective: There were some people on here who brought up Josh Doctson's "mediocre" 3 cone time as one possible reason for why he's not as good as we hope...saying it means he doesn't have top notch agility and change of direction necessary for running great routes and there was a decent amount of agreement. Josh's 3 cone was 6.84.

To me this means that it's extremely unlikely Metcalf will turn into a top WR in the NFL. In the pros one of the main things that separates the greats from the goods is route running and the ability to change direction quickly and precisely. Metcalf obviously doesn't have that. If you want a huge dude to beat press coverage off the line and run straight up the field fast and fight for a jump ball now and again, he's probably your guy. If you want a true all around #1 I think there's little chance. 

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

Metcalf is a guy with ludicrous straight line speed and explosion but he's really stiff and he was awful in two of the most important combine tests for agility and change of direction, both of which are super important for WRs and DBs. He had a 3 cone time of 7.38 and a short shuttle (aka 20 yard shuttle) time of 4.5. Those numbers are bad...like really bad. His 7.38 3 cone puts him right around the bottom 1/3rd of the entire combine class...including OL, QB, DL, etc. His 4.5 shuttle time puts him right around the bottom 1/4th...again, of the entire class. 

Another way to put this into perspective: There were some people on here who brought up Josh Doctson's "mediocre" 3 cone time as one possible reason for why he's not as good as we hope...saying it means he doesn't have top notch agility and change of direction necessary for running great routes and there was a decent amount of agreement. Josh's 3 cone was 6.84.

To me this means that it's extremely unlikely Metcalf will turn into a top WR in the NFL. In the pros one of the main things that separates the greats from the goods is route running and the ability to change direction quickly and precisely. Metcalf obviously doesn't have that. If you want a huge dude to beat press coverage off the line and run straight up the field fast and fight for a jump ball now and again, he's probably your guy. If you want a true all around #1 I think there's little chance. 

I guess we will have to wait and see and I do see your point and it is the safer logic. However I think he will defy traditional logic and I say that his freakish size and speed trumps all. I have thought about this alot and I will be stubbornly high on him untll I see him bust or beast. I know about his agility times and how they translate to the position but those drills are also way more important if your not the fastest dude on the field. I think because his initial get off and break away speed is so extraordinary it will more than make up for his choppy routes. He is not comparable to Doc though because the knock on him is he can't separate and he is slow. Therefore the agility drills would be more relevant to his game to compensate for his lack of speed. DK has Desean Jackson speed and with the ball in his hands he'll be a nightmare to tackle like Calvin Jonhson. Basicly what I am saying is you need less moves if what is in front of you is green grass and the endzone. Frick even if his ceiling is a fast Dez Bryant I'd bee down with that. Only time will tell.

9 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I really want to dig Stidham.  

Hes my pick at QB, assuming the Rosen thing doesn't materialise. Has been for a while. Strong combine and pro day might rise his draft stock significantly.

The trade for Keenum makes me think we avoid QB in round one, unless something totally wild transpires. Ideally I would take him in the third round. Great value. Not sure he last that long though and I'd suggest our second round selection slot is too high.

If I was doing a mock draft, I'd love to be picking Stidham in the third round with no hesitation.

2 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Hes my pick at QB, assuming the Rosen thing doesn't materialise. Has been for a while. Strong combine and pro day might rise his draft stock significantly.

The trade for Keenum makes me think we avoid QB in round one, unless something totally wild transpires. Ideally I would take him in the third round. Great value. Not sure he last that long though and I'd suggest our second round selection slot is too high.

If I was doing a mock draft, I'd love to be picking Stidham in the third round with no hesitation.

Wonder if he drops that far as opposed to going in the 2nd.  So agree with you 2nd is too rich but if they like him they might have to pull the trigger that high.   He screams bust to me though love the dude as his personality.  I even watched a cool special about his high school career.  I watched a bunch of his games so I feel comfortable that I have a handle on him. 

He's all right with a clean pocket but if he doesn't have one, oh boy.   IMO you got to build a fortress offensive line for him because if the live bullets in college are a bit scary wait till the pros.  If they have him in mind. I'd got for an OG in the first.   And get him a deep threat because the guy can sling it far.

@Skinsinparadise all fair points on Stidham. Was watching some of his tapes earlier. I think he's got the arm and the throws. I actually think he has the game that would fit with Gruden. 

Jumpy under pressure I can live with to be honest, it's easy to focus on that, bottom line is that doesn't always directly translate into their pro game. Has he got the tools to be coached up?  I'd say yes. 

I think Gruden will have a meltdown if we go OG in the first. I reckon he undervalues that position more than any. But yes, we need to improve our OL as a general principle irrespective of who is at QB.

10 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

And Arizona won't be desperate to trade him where its to the Redskins or bust -- they should have enough of a market where they should beat a third.  But again who knows, will see.  I'd love it if its for a third albeit I don't love the player but I like him. 

I see the Raiders as the best potential landing place for Rosen. Mayock is a big fan and Carr could be on a shorth leash.

1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

@Skinsinparadise all fair points on Stidham. Was watching some of his tapes earlier. I think he's got the arm and the throws. I actually think he has the game that would fit with Gruden. 

Jumpy under pressure I can live with to be honest, it's easy to focus on that, bottom line is that doesn't always directly translate into their pro game. Has he got the tools to be coached up?  I'd say yes. 

I think Gruden will have a meltdown if we go OG in the first. I reckon he undervalues that position more than any. But yes, we need to improve our OL as a general principle irrespective of who is at QB.

Don't know.  I'd guess good chance he's a bust based on what I am reading on Arians book about how he judges QBs.  He's big on pocket presence and toughness.   But yeah he has a really good arm and is accurate.  But isn't the typical bust a narrative of this dude can fling it but struggled reading coverages and is bad dealing with pressure?  Jake Locker had a rocket.  Actually Gabbert had a decent arm, too.    So did Patrick Ramsey.  But if they are giving up a third then no biggie to me.

For me with Stidham the added rep of being bad when the lights get brighter under the clutch -- coupled with him getting really skittish when he's pressured under a game -- paints a personality that maybe he isn't that tough.  I've slammed Daniel Jones here plenty but I'll give him that he's a tough SOB so is Rosen who I criticized some, too.  Stidham's arm-personality I love but I don't know if you can fix pocket presence especially if its conjoined with a personality mindset attached.  And on the personality mindset, I am just guessing.

Having said that, I am as ok with Stidham as a flier as anyone else.  The guy that I think is the safest flier in that third-4th round range might be Finley IMO. 

58 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

I see the Raiders as the best potential landing place for Rosen. Mayock is a big fan and Carr could be on a shorth leash.

Looking at Carr's contract, next year is the exit ramp. Yeah its interesting how Jay's brother seems to be on a collision course with Jay considering they both supposedly love Murray and if he is not on the trading block then they both might be interested in Rosen.

35 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Having said that, I am as ok with Stidham as a flier as anyone else.  The guy that I think is the safest flier in that third-4th round range might be Finley IMO. 

I agree, the context for me comes from where we pick a QB. Gabbert going at #10 makes him a bust, Stidham in the 3rd/4th is as you say a flier. Anything higher and I expect him to pan out. 

I would also also add that I believe we should pick a QB both this year and in 2020. We need a complete overhaul at QB over the next 2 seasons, unless of course Keenum unexpectedly becomes more than a place holder.

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Looking at Carr's contract, next year is the exit ramp. Yeah its interesting how Jay's brother seems to be on a collision course with Jay considering they both supposedly love Murray and if he is not on the trading block then they both might be interested in Rosen.

Its turning into an intriguing situation approaching the draft, the Raiders getting Brown, could they jump all in for Murray. I thinks it's nailed on he goes #1 to the Cards, but you just never know.

I think the best part about trading for Keenum is that we are far less likely to overreach for a QB in the draft. Let others grab and let someone good fall to us. That's how we got Allen and that's how Guice came to us. Payne too, really. I hope there is a storm at the top of the draft knocking out Fuller, Haskins, Jones, and Lock in the top ten. Of them, I'd probably want Haskins, but I don't want to draft a QB just to get a QB. When you do that you wind up with a Ramsey, a Campbell, etc. Who were fine, but never able to take us where we wanted to go.

27 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I think the best part about trading for Keenum is that we are far less likely to overreach for a QB in the draft. Let others grab and let someone good fall to us. That's how we got Allen and that's how Guice came to us. Payne too, really. I hope there is a storm at the top of the draft knocking out Fuller, Haskins, Jones, and Lock in the top ten. Of them, I'd probably want Haskins, but I don't want to draft a QB just to get a QB. When you do that you wind up with a Ramsey, a Campbell, etc. Who were fine, but never able to take us where we wanted to go.

I agree except your example of Payne, he wasn't a surprise fall with many having him in the late teens, early 20s in mocks especially as the draft got closer.  Almost no talk about what if Payne isnt there. He was expected to be there at 13. But in the same draft Derwin James was a surprise fall and was a first year All Pro.

As I pointed out yesterday, I think the numbers add up for an unlikely fall like Jonathan Allen, Derwin James, etc.

I am ok with Case Keenum, the deal was fine.  If he ends up the guy depending on what else they do this off season, he could be the right guy who can help bring them the high pick 2020 Qb I covet. 

My worry was they'd aim higher at qb and go more expensive. I didn't want a Qb that would help an 8-8 feat. Keenum to me is a more durable Colt McCoy and at the price they got him at it was a good get but I dont think he endangers positioning them in the 2020 draft.  Unless they really go to town on upgrading the supporting cast. Will see.  I like it from that perspective.

11 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

That's all over twitter, I've seen it.  But a bunch of people likewise don't think so -- that if Arizona was that into Keenum they'd have just made the trade themselves.  But who knows, will see.   

Forgot who said it maybe it was Keim who checked around and said what they learned is it likely takes a 2nd rounder to make this happen.  One of the Arizona reporters have said the same.  And Arizona won't be desperate to trade him where its to the Redskins or bust -- they should have enough of a market where they should beat a third.  But again who knows, will see.  I'd love it if its for a third albeit I don't love the player but I like him. 

The one thing I would say is that if AZ trades for Keenum instead of us, then it reduces the value of Rosen even more.

*Grier supporter alert*

I've seen a fair amount of posters dismiss Grier, but not a lot of posted reasoning.  Although he may lack "ideal" size (6'1 215) and rocket arm, he's been a good deep ball passer (see graphics posted multiple times showing him and Murray excelling there) and also is a cool customer under pressure (ranked #1 by PFF at go routes under pressure.)  With 2018 season showing a 67% accuracy rating. His leadership and charisma are all positive attributes and many sites pegging him as the #3 QB in this years class, why are so many quick to put him in the 3rd tier category with Stidham and Jones?? I'm not a WVU fan, but somehow I've become a fan of his. Almost every evaluator seems to give him high marks for being smooth and having a bit of Moxie. I really don't see why many think he will not be exactly what Gruden and this team need. What am I missing??

43 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

The one thing I would say is that if AZ trades for Keenum instead of us, then it reduces the value of Rosen even more.

IMO yes and no.  Yes, in terms of the Cardinals might get more if they play hard to get where if there is a specific team or two that really really wants Rosen bad than those teams might feel compelled to chase the Cards into doing it.  Saying hey I know you are reluctant to deal him but what if we did this, would that change your mind?  So I agree the Cards would have little motivation to do this early -- aside from the danger that the number of suitors lessen because of FA moves.   

But no from the stand point that typically a trade value is dictating by the actual suitors. And all you need is multiple bidders and that dictates price.   For example, it wouldn't matter if the Redskins think the Cardinals are desperate to unload him and want to deal a third for him -- if for example the Giants and Denver are willing to trade a 2nd.

It's like selling an item on ebay, the seller might be desperate to sell the item but so what if there are multiple bidders for that same item?   They'd let the process play out and sell the item to the highest bidder. 

I think the thing that works in the Cards favor is if I am in their shoes I'd be perfectly fine with not unloading Rosen and just holding on to him -- he's cheap and good insurance if Murray gets hurt or doesn't work out - or even if I had concerns about how Rosen would take being a backup, I'd wait to trade him in camp after the inevitable injury happens to a QB. That's how Philly got a first rounder plus for Bradford.

38 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

*Grier supporter alert*

I've seen a fair amount of posters dismiss Grier, but not a lot of posted reasoning.  Although he may lack "ideal" size (6'1 215) and rocket arm, he's been a good deep ball passer (see graphics posted multiple times showing him and Murray excelling there) and also is a cool customer under pressure (ranked #1 by PFF at go routes under pressure.)  With 2018 season showing a 67% accuracy rating. His leadership and charisma are all positive attributes and many sites pegging him as the #3 QB in this years class, why are so many quick to put him in the 3rd tier category with Stidham and Jones?? I'm not a WVU fan, but somehow I've become a fan of his. Almost every evaluator seems to give him high marks for being smooth and having a bit of Moxie. I really don't see why many think he will not be exactly what Gruden and this team need. What am I missing??

I am ok with Grier if its in the later rounds -- not a first.   As for him being exactly what Gruden needs potentially.  Maybe so.  His name hasn't been linked to the Redskins, yet.  Beat guys and national ones have touted some of the QBs they heard they like -- Grier hasn't been mentioned, yet.   If they like him they are doing a good job keeping it quiet.

23 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think the thing that works in the Cards favor is if I am in their shoes I'd be perfectly fine with not unloading Rosen and just holding on to him -- he's cheap and good insurance if Murray gets hurt or doesn't work out - or even if I had concerns about how Rosen would take being a backup, I'd wait to trade him in camp after the inevitable injury happens to a QB. That's how Philly got a first rounder plus for Bradford.

Exactly. The cost of the contract is almost nothing. If I were them, I would think, if he sees more action and performs well as a backup, the price goes back up and we got some use out of him in the mean time. I think it takes a second. 

Also, thanks RWJ for posting about Ben Banogu. That's the kind of thing that makes this forum fun. Now he's on my radar. Seems like a Ravens/Steelers type pick. He had 8.5 sacks each of the last 2 years. Super explosive athlete. I think Justin Houston could be his comp. He's the kind of guy that could wind up a 12-14 sack guy and we all look back and feel dumb for not predicting success. I wonder how high he goes. I think if you can get him in the 3rd, it's a steal. I wouldn't hesitate to grab Brian Burns in the first and Banogu in the 3rd if that's how the board lined up. BPA, BPA, BPA. We have enough holes on the team not to be drafting for need. 

https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/texas-christian-university/article227128479.html

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/ben-banogu?id=32194241-4e73-7249-aebe-eec538edf79b

Also, someone on the board was prognosticating Sweat's NFL position with regards to OLB vs. DE. Didn't he decline to do the LB drills at the combine? He's a DE all the way. 

I hope the Giants take Rashan Gary. 

1 hour ago, bowhunter said:

*Grier supporter alert*

I've liked Grier for a while.  My brother graduated from WVU so i watched a bunch of his games the last couple years.  I think I like his pocket composure and decision making more than most.  Last year he pressed a little because his team needed it, but overall I liked him.  Throws a hood deep ball, throws on time, average arm strength.  I think we could pick him up in the 3rd round and see what he can do at the next level.  I'd rather have Rosen, but I wouldn't be heart broken if we give him a shot.

2 hours ago, bowhunter said:

*Grier supporter alert*

I like Grier too. If you look at almost all of those infographics that have been posted in here over the past month or two about various QB metrics, the two biggest trends are Murray at #1 and Grier at #2. And that can't be dismissed as a competition or system thing...both Murray and Grier play in the Big 12 and both play in a spread Air Raid system (both of their coaches come from the exact same Air Raid coaching tree). I'm not saying we should pick Grier at 15 (though IMO he's a far better QB than Jones, who's been mocked to us there), but in the 2nd he'd be a really good value and in the 3rd he'd be an absolute steal IMO. 

BTW, Grier came in at 6'2 1/2 218 at his Combine and Senior Bowl weigh ins. His size is absolutely fine.

1 hour ago, Anselmheifer said:

Exactly. The cost of the contract is almost nothing. If I were them, I would think, if he sees more action and performs well as a backup, the price goes back up and we got some use out of him in the mean time. I think it takes a second. 

Also, thanks RWJ for posting about Ben Banogu. That's the kind of thing that makes this forum fun. Now he's on my radar. Seems like a Ravens/Steelers type pick. He had 8.5 sacks each of the last 2 years. Super explosive athlete. I think Justin Houston could be his comp. He's the kind of guy that could wind up a 12-14 sack guy and we all look back and feel dumb for not predicting success. I wonder how high he goes. I think if you can get him in the 3rd, it's a steal. I wouldn't hesitate to grab Brian Burns in the first and Banogu in the 3rd if that's how the board lined up. BPA, BPA, BPA. We have enough holes on the team not to be drafting for need. 

https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/texas-christian-university/article227128479.html

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/ben-banogu?id=32194241-4e73-7249-aebe-eec538edf79b

Also, someone on the board was prognosticating Sweat's NFL position with regards to OLB vs. DE. Didn't he decline to do the LB drills at the combine? He's a DE all the way. 

I hope the Giants take Rashan Gary. 

I agree here and having two 3rds is nice. With our top four picks you would think some combination of edge, wr , qb.  probably TE/OG is in that mix as well. I like the concept of Ben Banogu as our developmental pass rushing specialist because of his speed and explosiveness. Ryan Anderson can do the ditty work on 1st down and obvious run situations.

2 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

Also, thanks RWJ for posting about Ben Banogu. That's the kind of thing that makes this forum fun. Now he's on my radar.

Actually, I am the one who posted on Banogu, RWJ though reposted it and liked it.  RWJ mentioned Sutton Smith who I'll take a look at, too. 

But yeah I think we are all thinking the same way, 3rd-4th round pass rusher might be intriguing in this draft. 

Back on Banogo, what would make him unique is they'd be drafting a bonafide 3-4 OLB versus converting him like we did with Preston and Ryan.  From what am reading he's also a high character-leader type. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/draft/2019/03/03/nfl-combine-results-sleepers-draft-ben-banogu/3050122002/

Ben Banogu, DE, TCU: An 11-2 broad jump, which established a combine record for defensive linemen, set the tone for one of Sunday's top performers. The 6-3, 250-pound Banogu also had the best vertical leap (40 inches) in his position group as well as top-10 marks for the 40-yard dash (4.62 seconds), three-cone drill (7.02 seconds) and short shuttle (4.27) . His fluidity and easy athleticism also were on display throughout his on-field session...

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Actually, I am the one who posted on Banogu, RWJ though reposted it and liked it.  RWJ mentioned Sutton Smith who I'll take a look at, too. 

But yeah I think we are all thinking the same way, 3rd-4th round pass rusher might be intriguing in this draft. 

Back on Banogo, what would make him unique is they'd be drafting a bonafide 3-4 OLB versus converting him like we did with Preston and Ryan.  From what am reading he's also a high character-leader type. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/draft/2019/03/03/nfl-combine-results-sleepers-draft-ben-banogu/3050122002/

Ben Banogu, DE, TCU: An 11-2 broad jump, which established a combine record for defensive linemen, set the tone for one of Sunday's top performers. The 6-3, 250-pound Banogu also had the best vertical leap (40 inches) in his position group as well as top-10 marks for the 40-yard dash (4.62 seconds), three-cone drill (7.02 seconds) and short shuttle (4.27) . His fluidity and easy athleticism also were on display throughout his on-field session...

You can't have all of the good prospects, SIP! How about spreading a little around for the rest of us? 😂

I would love us to trade down. I'd take a pick at the top of the 2nd, 3rd and 4th for our 1st. 

(2)Hakim Butler

(2)Chase Winovich

(3) plus a 2020 3rd)Josh Rosen 

(3)Ben Banogu

(3)OG

(4)Germaine Pratt

(5)Juan Thornhill

(6)Bryce Love

(7)BPA

That would be such a massive talent infusion. 

Germaine Pratt is going to drop. His value is as a coverage player and his explosiveness numbers weren't there. 4.57 vert 32.5" Broad 116". Still, he has loose hips, plays faster than those times and can blitz. I think he's better than any LB we had on the roster last year and could look like a pro-bowler year 3. 

Also, am I the only one that thinks that Tyree Jackson has no chance as a QB. There is no precedent for a player like him. He's a thrower, not a passer, somewhat like Ryan Mallet, but a better athlete. I'd draft him late, if he falls and try him at TE. He's 6'7" and 249 pounds and runs a 4.59 with a 34.5 inch vertical. Is that a crazy thought?

Archived