Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 Comprehensive Draft Thread

Going Commando

18 minutes ago, volsmet said:

Who would you compare Minshew to? I haven’t watched much of him. 

I could be way wrong, but I think he could potentially be the next Russel Wilson. Not the tallest guy, but has big hands. Moves in the pocket well and can improvise. Very decisive with the ball and confident. 

Reading that Grier loses all composure throwing on the run is not great.

Reading the back to back tweets about Jones throwing a gorgeous, accurate ball in one, then another saying he has not been accurate lol...amazing how people can see two different things within minutes of each other or see what they want to see. 

27 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah loved Derwin, too. The dude is an All Pro first teamer in his rookie year.  Dan still has never had an All Pro player in 19 years if I recall.

Yeah if I recall Walterfootball said the Redskins liked Payne over Vea back then.  Who knows and maybe they just got lucky. But I will take the Jones rumor a little seriously for that reason.

Giants according to them like Haskins, Jones, and Murray in that order.  Denver likes Lock. Redskins like Jones.  And I know from living in South Florida, lot of talk of the Dolphins going Qb. We got Jax wanting one too.

I am guessing Foles will take one of those teams out of the mix.

Switching topics, lot of buzz on M. Sweat today so wonder if he leap frogs Polite and Burns after this week.

Yep, SIP.  Tweet weeks ago, I forget from who that Williams and scouts all love Jones as he's been coached by the same fella that taught both of he Peyton boys.  Heard he had accuracy problems today but threw a pretty ball.  We shall see how things go through the week and game.  I'd hate to see us move up more than 5 spots to get him.  Be nice, if he's their (Skins) target IF he fell to us at #15.  Highly Unlikely.

46 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah loved Derwin, too. The dude is an All Pro first teamer in his rookie year.  Dan still has never had an All Pro player in 19 years if I recall.

Yeah if I recall Walterfootball said the Redskins liked Payne over Vea back then.  Who knows and maybe they just got lucky. But I will take the Jones rumor a little seriously for that reason.

Giants according to them like Haskins, Jones, and Murray in that order.  Denver likes Lock. Redskins like Jones.  And I know from living in South Florida, lot of talk of the Dolphins going Qb. We got Jax wanting one too.

I am guessing Foles will take one of those teams out of the mix.

Switching topics, lot of buzz on M. Sweat today so wonder if he leap frogs Polite and Burns after this week.

Campbell has legitimate connections, I trust that what you read is correct & my fears of Vita were unwarranted. I haven’t watched Jones much, I’ll search to see if you’ve shared your considerations on him yet, teams love QBs trusted & trained by Cutcliffe; Speaking of Cut, I’m a bit surprised no NFL team has offered him a job, he’s got a great offensive mind, he’s not young or a sexy name, but his credentials are legitimate, he’d put points on the board. What he did with Renfree & Thad Lewis was extraordinary — Duke was 1-31 in the ACC prior to Cuts arrival, I’d take him in DC, though it’d be unpopular.

47 minutes ago, skins2victory said:

I could be way wrong, but I think he could potentially be the next Russel Wilson. Not the tallest guy, but has big hands. Moves in the pocket well and can improvise. Very decisive with the ball and confident. 

I didn’t consider watching him, but that’s a heck of an endorsement. It’s hard to believe he nearly spent the last year as a 3rd stringer in Tuscaloosa. What I know about him is his teammates absolutely love him.

1 minute ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Does anyone watch the senior bowl? Is it worth watching? I was thinking i might watch at least a bit of it on Saturday, just cause there’s no nfl games on. 

I enjoy the practices on the nfl network, you get to see 1 on 1s all day long, it’s almost as good as the combine imo. 

1 hour ago, volsmet said:

Thats interesting, I thought Washington was higher on Vita Vea. The highlight of the draft was Tampa passing on Derwin for Vita. A feeling I know you shared.

There seemed to have been some very conflicting reports on the Skins and Vea. IIRC there were a couple of reports that they loved the dude and a couple that they really weren't very interested. 

Regarding Derwin James I'm still really upset that we passed on him. Yes, Payne proved to be a good pick and will be a very good player for us for years but, as I had a feeling would be the case, James is a legit ST/Polamalu level superstar. He's was actually even better out of the gate than I thought he would be. After watching his college cut-ups I thought he absolutely had that potential but it might take him a couple years to get there as he had some raw spots but he obviously learns really fast.

Was reading through DJs top 50. Kinda confirmed what I thought. This draft is top heavy on dline... I don't think the teams in top 20 will take that many dline players, so I could see some very very good players drop to the end of the first. I'm not sure what we want to do with that. At 15 we probally could grab a normally top 10 dline player but do we want to grab one again?

One player I never saw sound really interesting Nasir Adderley. Any of you guys know him? Sounds like a very good coverage deep safety. 

Watched one highlight video on Nasir Adderley.  Immediately reminded me of Karl Joseph S to Oakland 14th overall 2016.  Fast, athletic, aggressive, tackling machine,  Supreme effort guy.   Check out the video and take note of the pursuit in punt coverage after a missed tackle at 2:45.

5 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Reading that Grier loses all composure throwing on the run is not great.

Reading the back to back tweets about Jones throwing a gorgeous, accurate ball in one, then another saying he has not been accurate lol...amazing how people can see two different things within minutes of each other or see what they want to see.  

Nature of the format I think.  QBs have to make throws to receivers they don't know with little preparation.  Probably throwing different route concepts they haven't repped that much too.  They usually don't do that well in the practices or the game.

5 hours ago, skins2victory said:

He's not on the same planet as an athlete as Russell Wilson.  But I like him too.  He's my favorite of the mid to late round moxie QBs, a group which includes Grier and FInley IMO.  He's going to stick around in the NFL as a back up for a long time, that mustache is here to stay.

Re: Jon Ledyard's tweet about Deebo Samuel's weight,

Look at the way he plays.

1 - He's not hurting for explosiveness.  He carries that weight well.

2 - He runs like Derrius Guice.  He needs some sturdiness.

He's my favorite YAC guy in the class.  Second or third rounder with the versatility to play inside and outside and return punts and kicks.  Also a good runner out of the backfield.  Quintessential all purpose yards workhorse and old school football player.  But some guys you can just tell are not going to have a long career and he's one of them. He burns the candle at both ends and he's a little too real for his own good.

This WR group is really good.  All of them have some kind of significant flag or limitation, but a ton of them also do something really special and have a definite role in an NFL offense.

They're going to hurt each other's draft positioning.  Probably like 10 late first to second round caliber guys in the group.  Teams will pass over WR late in the first as a result and a bunch of them are going to get pushed to the third as well.

1 - Metcalf

2 - Marquise Brown

3 - Butler

4 - Arcega-Whiteside

5 - Deebo

6 - AJ Brown

7 - Ridley

8 - Lodge

9 - Campbell

10 - Harry

11 - Harmon

12 - Johnson

Should be a strong TE class in the first two rounds too.  Lot of good pass catchers coming out this year.

Also wanted to say that this is a high caliber RB class too.  One or two guys are going to sneak into the first round and then like five more are going to be worthy of going in the second round. 

It wouldn't surprise me if almost half the picks in the second round were offensive skill position players.  Theoretically, we could do something like Hockenson in the first, Montgomery in the second, and Deebo in the third and transform our offensive skill position talent from one of the worst groups in the NFL to a legitimately dangerous one in a single offseason.

13 hours ago, Riggo-toni said:

Some say Stick didn't look good during the East-West practices.  Speaking of which, Jay the ex-QB and QB is supposedly his thing and I believe it indeed is his thing -- then why wasn't the dude in Mobile yesterday Senior?  I'd add to that the narrative was he didn't even get a chance to look at rookie QBs on tape before last years draft before they pulled the trigger on the Alex deal. 

8 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

This is the reason I’m spending most of my time evaluating mid-tier QBs who could be available in the 2nd round. Someone who at least has a high percent completion but has other issues that can be fixed but have caused the player to drop out of the 1st round. So far, I’m thinking Ryan Finley. 

I’m not too keen in drafting a QB past the 3rd round. We may need QB help come mid-season this year. 

https://www.seniorbowl.com/player-view.php?p=2575&squad=North

Surprised Grier put up the fastest thrown ball.  I’d have to think that’s a solid plus for him considering the concern about throwing to the outside I’ve seen mentioned.  In terms of throwing on the run, Grier didn’t have to do so much in the WV games I watched, but in his Florida games he looked good doing so.  Certainly better than Lock did in his 2018 games that I watched (seemed like he was behind his receivers or throwing worm burners consistently).  

I’m gonna have to watch a bit more from Finley, and I haven’t watched McSorley yet...

Jones looked pretty awful to me in the games I watched, though he didn’t get much help from his oline and receivers in those games either...

@mistertimI believe our FO had some sort of split between who liked Vea more vs who liked Payne more. 

@stevemcqueen1I like the talent at receiver as you said, and I feel about the same about db.  I could see our 2 3rd rounders going to those positions.   I’d be a bit bummed if we didn’t land an oline man before the 5th though...

Does seem strange Jay isn’t at the Senior Bowl... I don’t like it.  

3 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Re: Jon Ledyard's tweet about Deebo Samuel's weight,

Look at the way he plays.

1 - He's not hurting for explosiveness.  He carries that weight well.

2 - He runs like Derrius Guice.  He needs some sturdiness.

He's my favorite YAC guy in the class.  Second or third rounder with the versatility to play inside and outside and return punts and kicks.  Also a good runner out of the backfield.  Quintessential all purpose yards workhorse and old school football player.  But some guys you can just tell are not going to have a long career and he's one of them. He burns the candle at both ends and he's a little too real for his own good.

Ledyard among others though is very high on Samuel.  He and Montez Sweat seem to be getting a lot of love.  

9 hours ago, volsmet said:

I haven’t watched Jones much, I’ll search to see if you’ve shared your considerations on him yet, teams love QBs trusted & trained by Cutcliffe; Speaking of Cut, I’m a bit surprised no NFL team has offered him a job, he’s got a great offensive mind, he’s not young or a sexy name, but his credentials are legitimate, he’d put points on the board. What he did with Renfree & Thad Lewis was extraordinary — Duke was 1-31 in the ACC prior to Cuts arrival, I’d take him in DC, though it’d be unpopular.

I don't really have a strong opinion about Jones, yet.  I watched him in just one game and wasn't enamored with it.   Seems like the narrative about him is his coach is the same person who tutored Eli-Peyton.  And he has really good size and mobility for his size albeit an average arm. 

9 hours ago, RWJ said:

Yep, SIP.  Tweet weeks ago, I forget from who that Williams and scouts all love Jones as he's been coached by the same fella that taught both of he Peyton boys.  Heard he had accuracy problems today but threw a pretty ball.  We shall see how things go through the week and game.  I'd hate to see us move up more than 5 spots to get him.  Be nice, if he's their (Skins) target IF he fell to us at #15.  Highly Unlikely.

The tweet could have been something I caught and posted, I watched that game and they flashed to Doug a few times.  I presume though that Walter Football is going on more than just Doug being there because I'd presume and hope they had scouts at multiple games for the Qbs in this draft.  Yeah in theory at least I am not a fan of moving up to draft a QB in this draft because it would almost for sure demand your 2020 first rounder. 

Imagine they do that and said QB doesn't look hot, they end up having a down year with lets say a top 5 pick in 2020 but they don't even own that pick anymore?  If they think fans are upset now, imagine that scene?

6 hours ago, Snagletooth said:

Watched one highlight video on Nasir Adderley.  Immediately reminded me of Karl Joseph S to Oakland 14th overall 2016.  Fast, athletic, aggressive, tackling machine,  Supreme effort guy.   Check out the video and take note of the pursuit in punt coverage after a missed tackle at 2:45.

Love his highlights. He played against teams like JMU, Richmond, Elon, North Dakota State. You have to be careful. I'd love a mid to late round flier on the guy. According to ESPN, 6'0", 200 pounds. Has obviously great ball skills and his speed stands out. Also, extremely willing and talented hitter, who will give up his body.  I'd be interested to see how he times at the combine. Worst case scenario is that he's a back up nickel or dime defender and standout special teams player. He's Mel Kiper's 6th rated safety. Anybody else have thoughts on him, or on what round he should go?

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2018/insider/story/_/id/25779372/2018-nfl-draft-re-draft-making-new-picks-first-two-rounds-1-64

The above link is a redraft of the 2018 draft. I'm still miffed that we didn't choose Maurice Hurst. Was always a better player than settle and was redrafted at pick 42. Four sacks last year. Derwin James went 7, and I would have taken him sooner on a redraft. The take home is, BPA, BPA, BPA. Try to grab blue chip players. We could have had Derwin James, Maurice Hurst, and Tim Settle, all under one roof, and that's not hindsight. A lot of the board was pounding the table for these players. 

4 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

This WR group is really good.  All of them have some kind of significant flag or limitation, but a ton of them also do something really special and have a definite role in an NFL offense.  They're going to hurt each other's draft positioning.  Probably like 10 late first to second round caliber guys in the group.  

Should be a strong TE class in the first two rounds too.  Lot of good pass catchers coming out this year.

Also wanted to say that this is a high caliber RB class too.  One or two guys are going to sneak into the first round and then like five more are going to be worthy of going in the second round. 

Deep class of DTs; WR; TE; and RBs.  We know that QBs will be selected high plus the potential difference makers at all of the other positions.  There will be interesting choices come draft day.

Regarding Deebo Samuel, his highlight reels look great.  But, I'm concerned about this report " Unfortunately, injuries are nothing new to Samuel. A series of hamstring injuries forced him to miss significant time as a redshirt freshman in 2015 and again in 2016. Injuries limited him during each of his first three seasons, and that could certainly affect his draft stock."  

Archived