Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 Comprehensive Draft Thread

Going Commando

3 minutes ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

So will Montez work with Tomsula or Rob Ryan? @stevemcqueen1 what do you think?

Are you asking if he is a position fit here?  I think so.  Natural 7-9 technique rusher who can also thrive as a backside end.  Don't really think he is best from two point stance.  But he will take some development.  First thing first, I think he needs to get stronger.  Then he needs to learn to line up with a good plan in every pass leverage down.

2 minutes ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

@Skinsinparadise Ah missed his name on the list. Nice, thank you.  I'd have to imagine you get him some time with Tomsula as well no? Figure he will play with his hand in the ground a lot depending on the alignment. Heard he is really isn't the type you would love out in coverage. His best attributes are rushing the passer and  is stout vs. the run, also that he hustles hard.

You know we drafted him to play TE, right?

48 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Are you asking if he is a position fit here?  I think so.  Natural 7-9 technique rusher who can also thrive as a backside end.  Don't really think he is best from two point stance.  But he will take some development.  First thing first, I think he needs to get stronger.  Then he needs to learn to line up with a good plan in every pass leverage down.

Right I read an article that for as fast as he is, coverage is not his forte, he's not terrible but its down on the list of things he does well. I was just really asking/hoping that since he will spend quite a bit of time with his hand in the ground rushing the passer he'd get some time with Tomsula.. But I realize now, Grimm is the OLB coach and he'd prob be working mostly with him. 

50 minutes ago, wolfsire said:

You know we drafted him to play TE, right?

Well of course Haskins has to throw to someone. 

6 minutes ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

@Skinsinparadise Ah missed his name on the list. Nice, thank you.  I'd have to imagine you get him some time with Tomsula as well no? Figure he will play with his hand in the ground a lot depending on the alignment. Heard he is really isn't the type you would love out in coverage. His best attributes are rushing the passer and  is stout vs. the run, also that he hustles hard.

I don't think Tomsula typically works with the edge guys but i could be wrong.  I had a good spot 2 years ago in training camp where I was right in front of Tomsula's group for 2 days and he was purely training the interior D lineman, no edge guys.    The edge guys were working separately.

As for Sweat, here's Mcginn's scouts on him

3. MONTEZ SWEAT, Mississippi State (6-5 ½, 260, 4.44, 1-2): Doctors have discovered that Sweat has an enlarged heart. He participated in the Senior Bowl and combine. Last year, Michigan DT Maurice Hurst fell to the fifth round with what one source described as a similar condition. “I think it will be a pure judgment call for every medical staff,” the scout said. “We’re meeting on it this week.” His blazing 40 enhanced his draft position. At the same time, his arms measured a position-best 35 ¾ and his arms were 10 ½. “Allen and Sweat are very similar guys,” said another scout. “One-year big production guys. Long and lanky. Look the part. Are they Pro Bowl-caliber players? I don’t think so. They’re going to get drafted where Pro Bowl-caliber players get drafted. I like him, but he’s not Von Miller.” Kicked out of Michigan State in April 2016 after failing at least one drug test and getting involved in some other dustups. “Kind of a party culture there,” said a third scout. “We had some guys from Michigan State talk about him positively during the time he was there. We’re OK with it.” Finished with 105 tackles (30 ½ for loss) and 23 ½ sacks. “That workout stuff, you don’t see on the field,” a fourth scout said. “He’s a gangly athlete. He gets beat up at the point of attack. As a rusher, he’s not a fluid-moving guy. He wins with his length. Just kind of a one-trick pony. He’s scary. He does play hard. But his workout numbers and what you see on the field are two different things.” Scored 14 and 19 on the Wonderlic. From Stone Mountain, Ga. Could be compared to former Titan Jevon Kearse (6-4, 262, 4.45). “Not a bad comparison,” said a fifth scout. “Inside stab. Inside move and he gets his arms under. He’s got such great arm length. I don’t like his person, but with that length and that speed he can develop if he’ll take coaching.”

52 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I don't think Tomsula typically works with the edge guys but i could be wrong.  I had a good spot 2 years ago in training camp where I was right in front of Tomsula's group for 2 days and he was purely training the interior D lineman, no edge guys.    The edge guys were working separately.

As for Sweat, here's Mcginn's scouts on him

3. MONTEZ SWEAT, Mississippi State (6-5 ½, 260, 4.44, 1-2): Doctors have discovered that Sweat has an enlarged heart. He participated in the Senior Bowl and combine. Last year, Michigan DT Maurice Hurst fell to the fifth round with what one source described as a similar condition. “I think it will be a pure judgment call for every medical staff,” the scout said. “We’re meeting on it this week.” His blazing 40 enhanced his draft position. At the same time, his arms measured a position-best 35 ¾ and his arms were 10 ½. “Allen and Sweat are very similar guys,” said another scout. “One-year big production guys. Long and lanky. Look the part. Are they Pro Bowl-caliber players? I don’t think so. They’re going to get drafted where Pro Bowl-caliber players get drafted. I like him, but he’s not Von Miller.” Kicked out of Michigan State in April 2016 after failing at least one drug test and getting involved in some other dustups. “Kind of a party culture there,” said a third scout. “We had some guys from Michigan State talk about him positively during the time he was there. We’re OK with it.” Finished with 105 tackles (30 ½ for loss) and 23 ½ sacks. “That workout stuff, you don’t see on the field,” a fourth scout said. “He’s a gangly athlete. He gets beat up at the point of attack. As a rusher, he’s not a fluid-moving guy. He wins with his length. Just kind of a one-trick pony. He’s scary. He does play hard. But his workout numbers and what you see on the field are two different things.” Scored 14 and 19 on the Wonderlic. From Stone Mountain, Ga. Could be compared to former Titan Jevon Kearse (6-4, 262, 4.45). “Not a bad comparison,” said a fifth scout. “Inside stab. Inside move and he gets his arms under. He’s got such great arm length. I don’t like his person, but with that length and that speed he can develop if he’ll take coaching.”

That one scout who says "One year big production guys" His Jr year he had 10.5 sacks and more tackles for loss so he's off there I think. Did not know/realize about the Party stuff, usually doesn't bother me too much, let them be kids. Looks like he got it together the last couple years. He should be able to anchor a little better as he gets man strong. Nice talent and potential for the 26th pick in the 1st.

10 minutes ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

Right I read an article that for as fast as he is, coverage is not his forte, he's not terrible but its down on the list of things he does well. I was just really asking/hoping that since he will spend quite a bit of time with his hand in the ground rushing the passer he'd get some time with Tomsula.. But I realize now, Grimm is the OLB coach and he'd prob be working mostly with him. 

Well of course Haskins has to throw to someone. 

I just can’t see a boom or bust pick at 15. We needed a center and Bradbury won the rimington trophy. Fastest O-lineman at the combine and steam-rolled guys at the senior bowl practices. Guaranteed quality for 10 years or more without injury circumstance. That’s why Minnesota took him at 16 to direct the O-line in front of Cousins.

@wolfsire  Skins can be totally wrong on Haskins, we'll see. I think his floor is Jameis Winston (with better accuracy and less turnovers) and his ceiling is a bit smaller

Ben Roethlisberger/Drew Bledsoe . Securing a QB you think is worth it is always a big deal. That possibility imo is > than Bradbury who I think is gonna be great.

21 minutes ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

@wolfsire  Skins can be totally wrong on Haskins, we'll see. I think his floor is Jameis Winston (with better accuracy and less turnovers) and his ceiling is a bit smaller

Ben Roethlisberger/Drew Bledsoe . Securing a QB you think is worth it is always a big deal. That possibility imo is > than Bradbury who I think is gonna be great.

Next year’s draft will contain better qbs. I just think this was another fancy in the snyde’s head. He likes his fancy. He doesn’t want good, strong football management around him. He wants “yes” men. He wants to meddle. I’d love to hear some of the conversations between Scott and the weenies before he was fired.

14 minutes ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

@wolfsire Look the kid had arguably the Best Season EVER in the Big Ten, he started one year, he's a worker, high football IQ, 50 TD's, Accurate. 

Some NFL QB's from the Big Ten: Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Len Dawson, Bob Griese, Kerry Collins, Jim Everett, Jeff George.. I think its a gamble worth taking. Forget Snyder.

The NFC East is tough. It’s not like dropping back behind Ohio State’s perennial excellent O-line and throwing to 4.4 wide-outs running away from the other school’s 4.55 dbs. It’s a different animal. Was kerry collins at Penn State when they were a member of the big ten? I thought they were still independent at that time.

Like the picks a lot.  Great value and filling positions of need! 

Over the next couple days, I hope we can grab a CB, bolster the O-line, and add some speed on offense in the form of a wide receiver and future RB. 

Ty Johnson is flying under the radar right now folks.   Totally under-utilized by the Terps dysfunctional offense in his career at Maryland-- and still always managed to be explosive.  Kid is going to be a beast.  His pro day unofficial 40 times were 4.26, 4.32, 4.29, 4.34.  Managed 27 reps on bench and 34 inch vertical.   The Skins invited Stefon Diggs to their local pro day and didn't draft him.  Don't make the same mistake with this guy! 

2 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

Volsmet, can you please just post a gif of the villain from shrek shouting, "Nobody's smart but me!"? 😂

I love Abram. He's a steal. I would have liked him on the team, even with Landon Collins. 

Good call on Tytus Howard. 

In this world, being before anyone makes you decent money. It was a better night for me than any of these teams, I’m better at this than everyone else, I don’t know how to say it differently. 

Pointing out that Tytus even having a shot at going in one, before anyone else.

.. while many had him in mid day 3, is a better hit than anyone had. That’s what scouting is. Murray going 1, based on film, something else I put down earlier than the rest, even on this forum, is big. Haskins issues were detailed by me first, then he dropped & the things I said in January became so popular that Steve refered to the considerations as a result of group think. Jones being in play at 6 is something I said in January, long before anyone else. All of these things were scoffed at when I shared them. 3 scouting grades & an inside information grade recorded... in the things I do off the forum as well as with you guys.

Of course I enjoy it, random goofballs talk nonsense on this board while I try to bring you information you won’t get elsewhere. 

Glorious Tytus... the phone blew up with that one. Jones at 6... in January. Another phenomenal round 1 recorded. 

There are guys that I’ll need to perform, Lock, Sweat, & Mccoy to name a few, but handicapping things others will do is what today was about in my non ES life. Many of you follow 100 draft experts, I obliterated them all. The pressure is intense, it feels good my young friend. 

Tytus Howard... brilliant. 

source.gif

9 minutes ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

@wolfsire I'm aware. All I'm saying is give the kid a chance, he's got some skills.  From the sounds of it Jay is gonna make him compete and the best man will win the job.  We'll see how it plays out.  There really is no rush to getting him out there.  He wasn't drafted for year one.  

When the skins lost in the 70’s and 80’s, it influenced my whole week. I want my children to experience what I experienced. The titles, the parades, and all the championship pride that goes along with it. So........I’m ready to win again. I don’t care about using a first round pick on a guy who can’t step in and command the huddle. Command the game. Bradbury would have off-set the Lawrence pick by the Giants because he always owned him.

@wolfsire I understand man, I feel your pain I'd like the same for my two kids. I used to cry when the skins lost at 5 yrs old. lol. And now 36 yrs later we are still crying, lol. You are acting like its already happened, like you can see the future, chill. Have hope let it play out enjoy it. Hope the kid blossoms, so maybe our kids can see what its like to win. 

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft/bestavailable/_/position/ovr/page/1

So much talent in the second. Looking at how many picks are left before we choose again, I wonder who our 3rd round targets should be, if we stay put. Thoughts?

Also, not to harp on previous bad decision making, but trading up for sweat just confirms how dumb the selections of Trent Murphy and Ryan Anderson were. Both low ceiling players you'd be happy to get in the 4th, but not the 2nd. A waste of draft capital. I would much rather make a move up and grab a blue chip guy, than stand pat and grab a guy that every member of the board called a reach immediately after the draft. 

Archived